Who should coach this team in 2024?

Kirby Jackson

Just now, RoscoeParrish said:

I don’t disagree this team needs to be better in close and OT games.  I just don’t think firing the HC is the answer. 

Let me ask it differently. Do you think that he’s doing a good job? 

Please don’t tell me that the record is good. They have Josh Allen. They should win games. What is it that he is doing that you think elevates this team? 

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

brady got a bit tarnished in his last stop but not long ago he was very much in the list of innovative young guys. 

he’s not top of the list but he’s worth discussion probably. That he’s in house already might be his biggest knock if trying to turn the page cleanly but I’d have to wrestle with that a bit

Ideally we would fire McDermott tomorrow and give Brady the keys to end the season. That would give us a look at his head coaching prowess. But I highly doubt that's coming, and since he hasn't shown anywhere near the success that Johnson and Slowik have had in their relatively short stints as OC I think you just have to go with the more proven options.

2 minutes ago, RoscoeParrish said:

Statistics cut too deep for you, Doc?

Your stats mean nothing. I watch the losses as they happen and McD is blowing it in real time. And there couldnt be a less precise stat to judge anything off of than overall wins and losses.

2 minutes ago, JROC INTEL said:

Why am I a loser for wanting someone with experience like a jim Harb over a guy who had been our oc for two games? 

That wasnt a reply to you. There were 2 posts quoted in that. Yours and another.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, RoscoeParrish said:

No. He’s the easy scapegoat. The next man up in the blame game. Our losses are by 6, 5, 4, 6, 2, 3. I don’t think a new HC gets you over that hump. Players are put in a position to win week in and week out. We shouldn’t take that for granted.

This was Ali vs foreman.  wtf guys?

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

McDermott is not getting fired this offseason unfortunately; not after having a signed a contract extension this past offseason.  He’ll get a pass b/c of all the injuries on D this year.  He needs to find a really good D coordinator this offseason and pass those duties off his plate.

Edited by bills6969
  • Disagree 1

Just now, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I hear you. But if we miss on the next one, then that is easily 3 wasted years right there. 

If we stay put it’s almost certainly 3 more sooooo

sometimes you have to leave the bad relationship without knowing who your next gf is going to be simply because you know your current isn’t it 

• Dislike 1

Just now, bills6969 said:

McDermott is not getting fired this offseason unfortunately; not after having a signed a contract extension this past offseason.  He’ll get a pass b/c of all the injuries on D this year.  He needs to find a really good D coordinator this offseason. 

you can fix the defense for 10 years - he doesn’t trust the offense and the offense doesn’t trust him. It’s done.

2 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

McDermott is not getting fired this offseason unfortunately; not after having a signed a contract extension this past offseason.  He’ll get a pass b/c of all the injuries on D this year.  He needs to find a really good D coordinator this offseason and pass those duties off his plate.

be same result  Control freak Sean will overide the DC in key moments  Only way were winning w McDermott is if Bean goes all offense and we simply score 45 a game

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Let me ask it differently. Do you think that he’s doing a good job? 

Please don’t tell me that the record is good. They have Josh Allen. They should win games. What is it that he is doing that you think elevates this team? 

Yes. He is doing a good job. 

His overall body of work since 2017 proves he is doing a good job. 

Good job: Firing Josh’s buddy and handpicked OC in the middle of the season was clearly the right move.  

Good job: With the offense slumping for most of this season, the defense, missing significant starters, either won us the game or kept us in the game with McD at DC. 

Edited by RoscoeParrish
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Define wasted. Would you consider a divisional loss a wasted year at this point? 

yes. I think anything short of conference championship is wasted. 

I am losing faith in McDermott, but the mistakes he has made (especially in the playoffs) he has often learned from. Would hate watching the new guy make and learn from those mistakes too, which is probably inevitable.

I don’t know— we are definitely approaching a critical inflection point.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RoscoeParrish said:

Good job: Firing Josh’s buddy and handpicked OC in the middle of the season was clearly the right move.  

Good job: With the offense slumping for most of this season, the defense, missing significant starters, either won us the game or kept us in the game with McD at DC. 

He hired the guy failing. 

His team has scored 101 more points than their opposition. They have won half of the games. That’s a MASSIVE indictment on him. His job is to find a way in close games. He’s failing MISERABLY.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, RoscoeParrish said:

Good job: With the offense slumping for most of this season, the defense missing significant starters either won us the game or kept us in the game with McD at DC. 

McD gets no credit for firing Dorsey. Dorsey didnt come with Josh from California, McD brought Dorsey with him from Carolina. McD hired him as QB coach in 2019 after Dorsey spent 2 year on the couch with no one else hiring him. McD is the head coach who made the OC hire (with the thumbs up of his franchise QB, nothing more). McD fired Dorsey to buy himself some more time in his own job.

That is it.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

yes. I think anything short of conference championship is wasted. 

I am losing faith in McDermott, but the mistakes he has made (especially in the playoffs) he has often learned from. Would hate watching the new guy make and learn from those mistakes too, which is probably inevitable.

I don’t know— we are definitely approaching a critical inflection point.

So, what he does each year you’d say isn’t good enough. He will fall WOEFULLY short of that this year and we still support him?

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Ideally we would fire McDermott tomorrow and give Brady the keys to end the season. That would give us a look at his head coaching prowess. But I highly doubt that's coming, and since he hasn't shown anywhere near the success that Johnson and Slowik have had in their relatively short stints as OC I think you just have to go with the more proven options.

We don’t have enough coaches to fire McD tomorrow and hire Brady. Brady has had two weeks to do the offense, now he’s supposed to do everything else?

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

His team has scored 101 more points than their opposition. They have won half of the games. That’s a MASSIVE indictment on him. His job is to find a way in close games. He’s failing MISERABLY.

This was the first game all year the Bills scored 30+ and lost. 

Miss me with this failing miserably nonsense.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

We don’t have enough coaches to fire McD tomorrow and hire Brady. Brady has had two weeks to do the offense, now he’s supposed to do everything else?

We arent making the playoffs. At this point, our biggest battle is dealing with the Bengals getting a top 10 draft pick and stealing our WR. Clean house, promote Brady, see how it goes. We're likely losing out anyways.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

McDermott is absolutely not the answer. He’s a loser that always loses. If McDermott is fired, it’ll be one of the most desirable jobs available. If you were Terry Pegula, who would you hire? 

I’m in record that I’d fire McDermott in the morning and hand Brady the keys. I’d give him a 6 week audition. If it doesn’t work, I’d probably hire Bobby Slowik. Ben Johnson would be my 2nd option. 

This is the exact reason why I wouldn't fire McD now.  Too often when teams make an in-season fire and bring in an interim guy, the change helps and the team wins.  But rarely is that guy ever the real answer.  But now you're caught up by the fact this guy did win a few games and team looked better and you hire him, most often ends up being a mistake.

For that reason if you're going to fire him,  I'd wait till year end to do so, then you have a choice of anyone you want.  And as you said it is a desirable spot.

At this point too, team needs to do more than get a new HC, need to replace a number of players, both safeties, a CB, sign Jones or another run stopping DT, WR#2 and maybe #3? maybe a center.  If you hire Brady, likely much of the coaching staff will stay intact too and less likely to make larger changes that are needed for the long term..

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

McD gets no credit for firing Dorsey. Dorsey didnt come with Josh from California, McD brought Dorsey with him from Carolina. McD hired him as QB coach in 2019. McD is the head coach who made the OC hire (with the thumbs up of his franchise QB, nothing more). McD fired Dorsey to buy himself some more time in his own job.

That is it.

It’s not the players jobs to win close games and make a play?  Maybe we should start there rather than take the easy way out. 

McD does get credit for firing Dorsey. Sure he brought Dorsey on staff in a more junior role, but Dorsey is not OC if it wasn’t for the untouchable darling boy Allen selecting Dorsey to take over for Daboll. 

McD deserves credit and praise for firing our franchises boy. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Unless McDermott was lying Frazier is still employed by the team and we know he wants to be a HC again.

Plus after what was at the time the latest  McDermott special gut wrenching loss to Denver suddenly there's a Leslie Frazier article out there.

Timing is never coincidental. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

We arent making the playoffs. At this point, our biggest battle is dealing with the Bengals getting a top 10 draft pick and stealing our WR. Clean house, promote Brady, see how it goes. We're likely losing out anyways.

We just went toe to toe in OT with the best team In the NFL and we aren’t making the playoffs now? 

nah. We’ll be there. Bengals are done. Browns are gonna fade. Texans are gonna fade. WC is ours for the taking. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

If Belichick and Dabol get let go, bring both of them in. Give Belichick a blank check to be head coach and Dabol offensive coordinator 

I prefer Brady at OC over Daboll after two games. But then think I thought the same about Dorsey at this stage.

1 minute ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

If Belichick and Dabol get let go, bring both of them in. Give Belichick a blank check to be head coach and Dabol offensive coordinator 

Belichick is done. His methods dont work anymore. He was blessed with the greatest QB, problem was it was for 25 years.

Brady is Gen X. So not only did Belichick not have to adapt to Millenials, he has NO CLUE what to do with Gen Z players.

Need a Mike McDaniel who can make dank memes over a Grandpa Belichick yelling at guys.

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

Unless McDermott was lying Frazier is still employed by the team and we know he wants to be a HC again.

Plus after what was at the time the latest  McDermott special gut wrenching loss to Denver suddenly there's a Leslie Frazier article out there.

Timing is never coincidental. 

“Leslie Frazier sends his regards.”

- Terry P, just prior to launching McD out the window

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

This was the first game all year the Bills scored 30+ and lost. 

Miss me with this failing miserably nonsense.

I’m not talking about how many they are scoring. I’m talking about the scoring differential. When you score 8.5 more points every week than the team you’re playing, you should win more than 1/2 of the time.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m not talking about how many they are scoring. I’m talking about the scoring differential. When you score 8.5 more points every week than the team you’re playing, you should win more than 1/2 of the time.

That’s not what’s happening and you know it. 

Dominating the Commanders by 30 has no bearing on the next opponent. 

They are an overrated team with a bad defense playing somewhat average football and, until recently, a good offense playing average football. And they are .500.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

We just went toe to toe in OT with the best team In the NFL and we aren’t making the playoffs now? 

nah. We’ll be there. Bengals are done. Browns are gonna fade. Texans are gonna fade. WC is ours for the taking. 

Too many losses already, and to too many teams we gave the tie breaker to.

1 hour ago, RoscoeParrish said:

No. He’s the easy scapegoat. The next man up in the blame game. Our losses are by 6, 5, 4, 6, 2, 3. I don’t think a new HC gets you over that hump. Players are put in a position to win week in and week out. We shouldn’t take that for granted.

McD put them in a great spot to win by quitting in regulation with 20 seconds left.  Or leaving 12 men on the field. opt keeping Dorsey too long. And his failures are more than this season. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, RoscoeParrish said:

It’s not the players jobs to win close games and make a play?  Maybe we should start there rather than take the easy way out. 

McD does get credit for firing Dorsey. Sure he brought Dorsey on staff in a more junior role, but Dorsey is not OC if it wasn’t for the untouchable darling boy Allen selecting Dorsey to take over for Daboll. 

McD deserves credit and praise for firing our franchises boy. 

Oh wow! Are you the guy that thinks McDermott deserves more credit for the Bills success than Allen?!? You’re like finding a unicorn. I might need an autograph. I don’t want to talk football with you. I want to learn more about your childhood and how your thoughts were developed.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.