Joe Brady's performance tonight

HappyDays

14 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Allen and Diggs are, obviously, our two most talented players and it seemed that Dorsey leaned on them.  Other guys made supplemental contributions but the offense relied on Allen-to-Diggs at critical times.

Today we won without Allen-to-Diggs being very effective.  Brady was able to put 32 points on the board against a top D without the key combo working.  I don't think Dorsey could have done that. 

I loved seeing Cook, Kincaid, Shakir and others making the offense work.  It turns out we have other weapons.  

After philly plays tonight their DC now has something to think about. Bills instantly less predictable. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Josh looked like he was having fun. That alone is a huge improvement. This team is better when Josh is relaxed

Josh's sideline demener was my biggest notable in yesterday's game. In previous weeks while on the sideline he just sat on the bench with his head down looking dejected and miserable. That was definitely not the case yesterday. My take on that is that Dorsey was hog tieing him something fierce trying to force him to be strictly a pocket passer and it restricted is emotional state during the games. Where as (imo) Brady probably said stick to the game plan but improvise and use your legs when you feel the time is right or the opportunity presents itself. 

5 hours ago, BBFL said:

I’m not complaining in any way shape or form, it’s just a concern. 

My concern is that they get don’t get Diggs more involved going forward. Dude had 4 targets in the first 2 drives; 3 drops 😬 and then 2 more in garbage time… As the game wore on from the 1st quarter, dude seriously looked disinterested and checked out. Always lifting his hands in the air like “wtf” with some calls. 

I’m not talking about forcing him the ball so many times like they have been in the past, just get him involved as it might be a potential problem going forward if it’s continued as he’s an emotional player (nothing wrong with that). 

Have the Diggs rumors in the past been blown out of proportion? Most likely but there has to be even a speck of truth to these things…

Dude is our best assets aside from a competent run game in Josh’s success. Don’t care about “keeping him happy” would just like to keep him squarely involved and not where he feels he’s an afterthought. 

The Diggs story has been blown way out of proportion in my opinon, but who knows. Defenses have been scheming to take Diggs out of the game. Most defenses can't do that effectively because Diggs is that good. The Jets defense is good enough to do that and Brady knew that. My guess is that he let them do that and schemed the offense around that, adding wrinkles to plays to put other players in better positions to make plays instead of Diggs. It was effective, and future defenses will need to take that into account in the coming weeks. Hopefully it will free up Diggs for some bigger plays. Time will tell.

For sure next week will be a huge test to this team. But, if they can pull out a win heading into the bye week, i think the rest of the season is wide open for the taking. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, BigPappy said:

Josh's sideline demener was my biggest notable in yesterday's game. In previous weeks while on the sideline he just sat on the bench with his head down looking dejected and miserable. That was definitely not the case yesterday. My take on that is that Dorsey was hog tieing him something fierce trying to force him to be strictly a pocket passer and it restricted is emotional state during the games. Where as (imo) Brady probably said stick to the game plan but improvise and use your legs when you feel the time is right or the opportunity presents itself. 

The Diggs story has been blown way out of proportion in my opinon, but who knows. Defenses have been scheming to take Diggs out of the game. Most defenses can't do that effectively because Diggs is that good. The Jets defense is good enough to do that and Brady knew that. My guess is that he let them do that and schemed the offense around that, adding wrinkles to plays to put other players in better positions to make plays instead of Diggs. It was effective, and future defenses will need to take that into account in the coming weeks. Hopefully it will free up Diggs for some bigger plays. Time will tell.

For sure next week will be a huge test to this team. But, if they can pull out a win heading into the bye week, i think the rest of the season is wide open for the taking. 

First of all I'm 100% convinced the Diggs blow-up last year v Cincy was all about Dorsey's incompetence and to a degree Josh supporting him. It was exactly what we thought it was. Now yes Stef can be a mild deva, but I believe he's also smart enough to see the value of targeting other guys if top D's scheme out his impact.  Joe was brilliant yesterday using Cook, Kincaid and Shakir while Diggs was bracketed. Even Davis on his deep routes opened up shallow slots.  Eventually Diggs will not have doubles and he'll get to eat too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

When they drafted Cook he was sold as having good hands in the pass game. Literally never tested till yesterday but he made some tough catches on some really hard thrown balls from Allen. And that TD from Johnson. Just a RB leaking out of the backfield on a rollout. So simple. Makes so much sense for this offense because it's either take the RB and Allen runs or cover Allen and the RB is open. Unreal that Dorsey couldn't think of that in two years

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

First of all I'm 100% convinced the Diggs blow-up last year v Cincy was all about Dorsey's incompetence and to a degree Josh supporting him. It was exactly what we thought it was. Now yes Stef can be a mild deva, but I believe he's also smart enough to see the value of targeting other guys if top D's scheme out his impact.  Joe was brilliant yesterday using Cook, Kincaid and Shakir while Diggs was bracketed. Even Davis on his deep routes opened up shallow slots.  Eventually Diggs will not have doubles and he'll get to eat too.

I can totally see this being correct. I'm not even sure calling him a mild deva is accurate but even if he is I could care less. He is passionate about winning and I LOVE that. The 90's Bills were called the "Bickering Bills" because they were all called deva's, but they were passionate about winning and they went to 4 Super Bowls. They lost them of course but some of that was because they partied to much and came up unprepared. I don't see that happeing to this team if they are fortunate enough to get there to.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, BBFL said:

Fair enough but flailing your arms in the air after you don’t get the ball when you’re open, looking half-hearted in some plays and not being full of energy like he is in other games, especially ones we are winning, would tell me otherwise. 

Obviously I look at it differently than you do and that’s ok. 

Maybe you don't know why he is flailing his arms though.  I know one time I seen that, Sauce was all over him and should have gotten called but didn't.  Diggs was flailing his arms at the refs.

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

It wasn't. That was Dorsey's scheme just called differently. Obviously I understand wanting to see more before believing Brady is the solution, but I don't think defenses are going to be able to key in on anything new. When your play caller calls a balanced offense there's not much to key in on. So more than anything I just want to see Brady do it again.

Technically that was a Daboll playbook that Brady did a better job with than Dorsey did.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BigPappy said:

I can totally see this being correct. I'm not even sure calling him a mild deva is accurate but even if he is I could care less. He is passionate about winning and I LOVE that. The 90's Bills were called the "Bickering Bills" because they were all called deva's, but they were passionate about winning and they went to 4 Super Bowls. They lost them of course but some of that was because they partied to much and came up unprepared. I don't see that happeing to this team if they are fortunate enough to get there to.

I'll never question Stefon's passion to win.....ever

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, pigpen65 said:

When they drafted Cook he was sold as having good hands in the pass game. Literally never tested till yesterday but he made some tough catches on some really hard thrown balls from Allen. And that TD from Johnson. Just a RB leaking out of the backfield on a rollout. So simple. Makes so much sense for this offense because it's either take the RB and Allen runs or cover Allen and the RB is open. Unreal that Dorsey couldn't think of that in two years

Saw some runs where Josh kept going with the RB like he still had the ball or he was going to throw a block or something just making the defense have something more to think about on the play, I won't be surprised if at some point Josh get's the ball back or something on that kind of play like the craziest option play.

Heard this on WGR today on my way to the pain clinic...

Brady got all the skill players involved.  He rotated them regularly off the bench.  Something Dorsey didn't do much of.  Also Davis played his usually lots of snaps but didn't get one target.  

On the first part... that has been a complaint of mine since last year.  Dorsey had no idea what to do with the players we have.  He couldn't get anyone involved.  I would have loved to seen Hines involved because he is a playmaker.  Unfortunately, he got injured before we even started.  I doubt Dorsey would have done anything with him but I bet Brady would have.

On the second part... I don't think that is coincidence.  I think Brady just had a better plan against the Jets.  I never felt Dorsey actually had game plans that exposed weaknesses like Brady had last night.

Now, I am not saying Brady is the guy.  It was just one game.  He has done some things though that Dorsey has not done.  He utilized the talent we had.  He ran plays to set up plays later on.  Most importantly... He got Josh to take the plays that were there.  I think that was by changing the reads and better play selection.  Brady also ran more under center and more motion that Dorsey all season.  That motion was ran with purpose and not just to run that motion.

I am optimistic.  I hope this carries through the rest of the season.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Scott7975 said:

Brady got all the skill players involved.  He rotated them regularly off the bench.  Something Dorsey didn't do much of.  Also Davis played his usually lots of snaps but didn't get one target.  

On the first part... that has been a complaint of mine since last year.  Dorsey had no idea what to do with the players we have.  He couldn't get anyone involved.  I would have loved to seen Hines involved because he is a playmaker.  Unfortunately, he got injured before we even started.  I doubt Dorsey would have done anything with him but I bet Brady would have.

On the second part... I don't think that is coincidence.  I think Brady just had a better plan against the Jets.  I never felt Dorsey actually had game plans that exposed weaknesses like Brady had last night.

Now, I am not saying Brady is the guy.  It was just one game.  He has done some things though that Dorsey has not done.  He utilized the talent we had.  He ran plays to set up plays later on.  Most importantly... He got Josh to take the plays that were there.  I think that was by changing the reads and better play selection.  Brady also ran more under center and more motion that Dorsey all season.  That motion was ran with purpose and not just to run that motion.

I swear Gabe got a pass that got taken away by a penalty.

Brady actually utilized his players' strengths as well as concepts that work in the NFL in 2023. The bye week will be very very interesting as that will be a chance to really let him update the playbook a bit. You have to win one of @Philly or @KC. 

Just being more unpredictable is a huge thing. Not just unpredictable from play calls but unpredictable with how the team lines up. 

I don't think it's a coincidence that the game that Allen looked into the game rather than motionless on the bench in between series was also the first game all year he was looking to scramble and pick up yards with his feet

Not sure if that was a Dorsey thing or a McDermott thing or both but it's the biggest thing in opening up other plays in this offense 

6 hours ago, phxbacker said:

not as many audibles because the first play was a good call against the defense for the play. I always felt that the first play from Dorsey wasn't a fit for the D on the play and Josh always checked out of it because he didn't like what he saw. I am glad Brady put Josh under center more, i think that makes a big difference.

That very well could have been the case.  Brady may be able to pass along the x's and o's bettervthan dorseey did.  Sometimes the mentoring doesn't quite mesh and line up if Allen and Dorsey learn in different ways.  I always was comfortable with numbers so when I would teach someone some basic skills when they where intimidating by computers I'd reassure then that computers just do stupid yes no questions fast  so it appears to be smart but just a dumb tool.

7 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

I thought Brady did really well for his first game. Most of the plays worked  and TBH we could have with better execution been up by 24-6  at half. I hope that with more time, Brady can push this offense to more complicated plays that showcase more misdirection and deception. It seems that this area is like an atrophied muscle for this offense. They did it once but are so out of practice and confidence because of Vanilla Dorsey that they need to learn it again. The only other small complaint is that we did a small number of plays that didn't work that were Dorsey specials. I hope Brady gets away from that in the next few games. But overall a good start and so much easier to watch than that frustrating Dorsey game plan!

Keep in mind that running plays that "don't work" are done for more than just running the play.  End arounds and screen passes to a WR and things like that, even if they don't work, make a defense have to defend it.  That opens up other stuff.

Edited by Scott7975

38 minutes ago, die hard bills fan said:

Assistant question.

Watching the game on tv and they showed Brady multiple times in the booth along with his assistants. 

Seems like some of the people you saw with Dorsey are no longer there.  Wondering who left, if any, and if Brady replaced them with his own.

Most likely yes  but they won't be  announcing current hierarchy to public.  We have no need to know all that goes on when a change is made.  Could also be control freak mcds men if  you believe dome of the opinions on him being a bit of a control freak.  As long as the com between oc a ND Josh gets the wins and fewer  with was that play  its good.

20 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

Well said, only thing about his playcalling that Dorsey had the same issue with is that a WR screen to Diggs hasn't done a productive thing all year. I wish they'd deep six that playcall

I know what you mean, but I feel like it can help to set-up other routes for Diggs.   And although it seems to get shut down more often than not, it has produced a few first downs this year and the play went for 34 yards in 1st Qtr against Cinci. 

23 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Also the longest passing TD in the NFL so far, but you know other than that.

That happened AFTER I texted him.

On 11/20/2023 at 2:36 PM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

'North and south' is C.J Spiller running 27 yards back and forth between the sidelines for a net gain (or loss) of 2.  What am I missing? 🤔

You forgot Booker Moore running east and west from our end zone resulting in a safety. But he's dead now so this isn't nice.

Edited by Dan Darragh

21 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

As I recall, Dorsey had three shots against the Jets and never scored more than 20 points.   It seemed like Saleh and the Jets had Josh’s (and Dorsey’s) number.

Brady, with the same guys, put up 32.

• Like (+1) 1

Dorsey had a problem that you get in a lot of other sports. Especially sports this side of the pond. In that he set up seemingly unaware of the opposition. Like, ‘here is what I want to do’  and hopefully that’s enough.

But it never works. Theory only takes you so far. What ‘should’ work doesn’t. Because other people can think too. The ‘process’ may work off the field but it’s dumb on it. 

The best coaches feel a game. They adapt in-game. And it’s not about using a playbook as a bible - it’s about using it as a toolkit. 

Though - as wiser people than me have said on here - it’s easier when nobody knows what you are doing. The measure of Brady will be how easily he is found out. But, from what I saw, he might just be clever enough not to be 

I know that we are rightfully Doom and Gloom today, but I want to give a tip of the cap to Joe Brady. He did a darned good job planning and calling for the game. 500 yards of offense, 4 TD with 2 field goals missed. Josh looks day and night better.

While I want to see if DCs catch on in the rest of the season, so far this is the lone bright spot in my mind.

That we hung around with Dorsey for so long with things not working is reason enough for me to say the McDermott era needs to wrap up, and it is paradoxical that keeping McDermott is our best chance at keeping Brady.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I know that we are rightfully Doom and Gloom today, but I want to give a tip of the cap to Joe Brady. He did a darned good job planning and calling for the game. 500 yards of offense, 4 TD with 2 field goals missed. Josh looks day and night better.

While I want to see if DCs catch on in the rest of the season, so far this is the lone bright spot in my mind.

That we hung around with Dorsey for so long with things not working is reason enough for me to say the McDermott era needs to wrap up, and it is paradoxical that keeping McDermott is our best chance at keeping Brady.

Yeah he’s done a really good job.. getting Allen back on track…they must be meshing well, getting the RBs involved and playing well, the Oline, even scheming some plays for Gabe.  If the O averages 30+ points per game the rest of the season, put the man in the head coach pool of candidates and can McDermott. Why not? look at all the young coordinators that got jobs the past 5 years and excelled.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.