Road to the Playoffs

steven50

16 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

No way the Browns or Bengals get more than 9 wins now.

I actually think the Bengals completely collapse.

The teams we are competing with for the wild card are very unimpressive. Like 2/3 of them are already onto their backup QB for the rest of the season.

The most baffling thing to me with the AFC is how the Steelers are 6-3. I know they have a good defense and Watt is a game changer. I know Tomlin can coach. It seems like every week their offense struggles for 2.5 to 3 quarters of the game. They are usually losing most of the day in a low scoring game. They have Pickett who is up and down at QB. Yet they seem to pull out a victory in the 4th quarter almost every time. 

Edited by Gregg

16 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Great for you! 

Football's not my life.  I have a family and interests.  So yeah, rather than dumping an entire Sunday afternoon to watch a bunch of garbage football, I'll quite happily do something that I consider to be more important with my time thank you!  

I root for a winner too.  Too bad that's not what McD's putting forth on the field here.  Maybe take that part of it up with him. 

Funny how football's a business, but the moment that the fans treat it like a business they get the business from people such as yourself.  

Have a great Thanksgiving, ... seriously!!!  

He's the point that always is quite baffling. 

I get that people have other interests. Families. Jobs. It's life and I get that. It's entertainment. And if the product isn't entertaining you, life is short and if you feel compelled to do other things on a Sunday...more power to you. I say, enjoy what little time you may have left.

However, the flip side of that is if someone isn't going to commit to watching the product...ANY point they make about said product thereafter is pretty much invalid. They didn't see it...so their comments are either 2nd had information or based off box scores. And, it's really fairly odd that some have no time to commit 3 hours to actually watch the game...yet have ample time to flood a message board with their uninformed opinions during the week (and they seem to find EXTRA time after a loss🤔)

Then to put the cherry on top...these same types act offended when they are called "fair weather fans" even though this is the literal definition of a fair weather fan.

Of course the last 2 paragraphs aren't directed to you specifically. Just a generalization of fans with that outlook.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Burrow's injury just adds to the narrative that anything can happen 8 weeks out.

Some of the posts on here make it seem like it's impossible for a 5-5 team at this point.  A ton of things are going to happen between now & January.  We're still very much in the mix - for the WC, and for the division.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Success said:

Burrow's injury just adds to the narrative that anything can happen 8 weeks out.

Some of the posts on here make it seem like it's impossible for a 5-5 team at this point.  A ton of things are going to happen between now & January.  We're still very much in the mix - for the WC, and for the division.

Yes a lot of things are going to happen between now and January. You also have to take teams schedule into effect.  Anything is possible is true but you can't dismiss other teams either. 

Just now, MJS said:

I do not agree. The path to the playoffs is exclusively by wild card. We will not catch the Dolphins.

What's the reasoning there?

I feel like all that needs to happen is that the Phins need to lose one more game than the Bills before we face off against them in the last game. Maybe not likely or probable, but not that much of a longshot, and not an impossibility.

• Agree 1

On 11/14/2023 at 1:29 PM, dorquemada said:

gah this is so reminiscent of the drought years when we had to go to advanced calculus starting in late october to find a path to the playoffs. 

Let's go on and prepare ourselves mentally to be fully out of the playoff picture next week.   Once they lose to the Jets, i'm sure they'll pull one out of their azzes against one of the good teams we have on the schedule, and maybe 1 or 2 more just to move us out of contention for a difference making WR in the draft but this is a bad team with a bad coach, an old, slow and broken D, special teams that define the word 'special', and a QB that needs some serious counseling

On the floor laughing. Touche! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

I do not agree. The path to the playoffs is exclusively by wild card. We will not catch the Dolphins.

Dolphins also have some tough games to play. 

Raiders

at Jets

at Commanders

Titans

Jets

Cowboys

at Ravens

Bills.

I wouldn’t get too excited unless a couple teams fall apart or we go 2-1 against philly kc and Dallas. 5-2 the rest of the way probably gets us in barring a Miami implosion then maybe we can win the division at 9-8 with the tiebreaker 

I don’t think it’s out of the question as cincy is pretty much done and Cleveland who knows now.  I think one of Buffalo/LAC/Houston will get in 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

The Miami dolphins are not that far ahead of us, and they are totally known for blowing their season at the end of years

To rule out that we might catch up next little sense

2 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Raiders

at Jets

at Commanders

Titans

Jets

Cowboys

at Ravens

Bills.

And they have not beaten a team above 500 this season

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, MJS said:

I don’t think that’s true…if we hadn’t beaten them once already you’d probably be correct.  Beating them week 18 catches us up a game and guarantees the tiebreaker then we just have to catch up 1 more game.  They’ve got some tough games remaining too 

15 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The Miami dolphins are not that far ahead of us, and they are totally known for blowing their season at the end of years

To rule out that we might catch up next little sense

And they have not beaten a team above 500 this season

If that continues they go 5-3 to end the season. What hurts the Bills is they already have 4 AFC losses. I have the Bills going 4-3 to finish the season with losses to Cowboys, Chiefs and Eagles. If they lose this weekend, start focusing on the draft and new coach hires. 

I don't see this team making it at all. They have regressed a lot since the 13 second game 

56 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Raiders

at Jets

at Commanders

Titans

Jets

Cowboys

at Ravens

Bills.

They will most likely lose 3 or 4 of those games.  They struggle against "play-off level" teams.  (Bills, Ravens, Cowboys) and the Jets Defense will beat them at least once out of their 2.

ps - I personally believe that we MUST win the second game against the Fins.  That tie breaker could end up being important.  

Edited by buffaloboyinATL
  • Like (+1) 1

What is most likely to happen:

1. BUF - win at least 5 vs NYJ, @PHI, @KC, DAL, @LAC, NE, @MIA

2. MIA - win at least 5 vs LVR, @NYJ, @WAS, TEN, NYJ, DAL, @BAL, BUF

3. PIT - win at least 4 vs @CLE, @CIN, AZ, NE, @IND, CIN, @SEA, @BAL

4. CLE - win at least 4 vs PIT, @DEN, @LAR, JAX, CHI, @HOU, NYJ, @CIN

5. HOU - win at least 5 VS AZ, JAX, DEN, @JAX, @TEN, CLE, TEN, @IND

6. IND - win at least 5 VS TB, @TEN, @CIN, PIT, @ATL, LVR, HOU

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I believe it is quite possible that Miami only wins 4 more. I think they will lose to the Jets in NJ, plus Dallas, Baltimore and Buffalo.  Perhaps just wishful thinking, but I could see it happening that way.

1 hour ago, Success said:

What's the reasoning there?

I feel like all that needs to happen is that the Phins need to lose one more game than the Bills before we face off against them in the last game. Maybe not likely or probable, but not that much of a longshot, and not an impossibility.

Because they have an easy remaining schedule and the Bills have a very hard remaining schedule.

6 minutes ago, ngbills said:

So, you have us losing to every good team on the schedule.

Interesting.

7 minutes ago, Success said:

Interesting.

Not saying that. Just highlighting on paper which appear to be the most likely result. Obviously anything can happen. No one would have predicted that we lose to NJY, NE and DEN. Point is we need the unexpected more than other teams do.

10 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I believe it is quite possible that Miami only wins 4 more. I think they will lose to the Jets in NJ, plus Dallas, Baltimore and Buffalo.  Perhaps just wishful thinking, but I could see it happening that way.

Exactly. We need some luck to squeak in. 

18 minutes ago, Success said:

Interesting.

I do. I can also see them winning against the Cowboys but losing to the Chargers just as well. In the end it will even out. They will win a game they're not supposed to and lose one they are supposed to win. 

Being 5-5 at this point is going to cost them the playoffs. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Jrb1979 said:

I do. I can also see them winning against the Cowboys but losing to the Chargers just as well. In the end it will even out. They will win a game they're not supposed to and lose one they are supposed to win. 

Being 5-5 at this point is going to cost them the playoffs. 

You may be right.  It's hard to tell at this point.

But they have shown in the past that they can start slow or have a bad stretch, and then go on an extended run against both good & bad teams.  I think they can do that again, for sure.  I wouldn't guarantee it - but it's not some remote possibility either.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

He's the point that always is quite baffling. 

I get that people have other interests. Families. Jobs. It's life and I get that. It's entertainment. And if the product isn't entertaining you, life is short and if you feel compelled to do other things on a Sunday...more power to you. I say, enjoy what little time you may have left.

However, the flip side of that is if someone isn't going to commit to watching the product...ANY point they make about said product thereafter is pretty much invalid. They didn't see it...so their comments are either 2nd had information or based off box scores. And, it's really fairly odd that some have no time to commit 3 hours to actually watch the game...yet have ample time to flood a message board with their uninformed opinions during the week (and they seem to find EXTRA time after a loss🤔)

Then to put the cherry on top...these same types act offended when they are called "fair weather fans" even though this is the literal definition of a fair weather fan.

Of course the last 2 paragraphs aren't directed to you specifically. Just a generalization of fans with that outlook.

OK, so suppose someone, let's say myself to keep it simple, doesn't watch the game and we end up losing 24-13.

It's not reasonable for me to assume that it was either a poorly coached and/or poorly played/executed game, ... likely both?  

That's essentially what you're saying here.  I know the roster, the coaching staff, talent level, past coaching gaffs, what the primary issues have been, but for some reason all of that's going to change on a dime?   

That's your implication here.  Sorry, but no sale on that one.  

Now, if we emerge 41-16 victors, then perhaps you'll have a point, at least temporarily.   But until that occurs ...  

14 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

OK, so suppose someone, let's say myself to keep it simple, doesn't watch the game and we end up losing 24-13.

It's not reasonable for me to assume that it was either a poorly coached and/or poorly played/executed game, ... likely both?  

That's essentially what you're saying here.  I know the roster, the coaching staff, talent level, past coaching gaffs, what the primary issues have been, but for some reason all of that's going to change on a dime?   

That's your implication here.  Sorry, but no sale on that one.  

Now, if we emerge 41-16 victors, then perhaps you'll have a point, at least temporarily.   But until that occurs ...  

Ok let's say someone...let's keep it at yourself to keep it simple doesn't watch the game. And has no idea what occurred. Be it poor play, coaching, referee hindered, or just flat out the other team was better (it happens). But yet that same someone....again you wanted to say yourself to keep it simple...comes on and spouts their opinion over what they have no knowledge of. Boy, someone that watched the game...say me again keeping it simple...would really thank that person (or you as you referred) was a real real blowhard. Just a real sad sack who had no other interests or family to keep them occupied and would rather wallow like a pig in feces. 

I'm sure that someone as intellectual as yourself would understand why it would be hard to take a feces covered, uninformed blowhard seriously when they try to wax poetic about events they didn't even see, right? 

Unrelated, were you by chance at the Raider game? Perhaps near where they were digging?

19 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Ok let's say someone...let's keep it at yourself to keep it simple doesn't watch the game. And has no idea what occurred. Be it poor play, coaching, referee hindered, or just flat out the other team was better (it happens). But yet that same someone....again you wanted to say yourself to keep it simple...comes on and spouts their opinion over what they have no knowledge of. Boy, someone that watched the game...say me again keeping it simple...would really thank that person (or you as you referred) was a real real blowhard. Just a real sad sack who had no other interests or family to keep them occupied and would rather wallow like a pig in feces. 

I'm sure that someone as intellectual as yourself would understand why it would be hard to take a feces covered, uninformed blowhard seriously when they try to wax poetic about events they didn't even see, right? 

Unrelated, were you by chance at the Raider game? Perhaps near where they were digging?

I'm pretty sure if we lose while scoring fewer than 20 points on fewer than 300 yards and say 15 1st-Downs, that it'll be a fair assumption that we haven't turned it around that McD some some unbeknownst reason coached a great game.  

When we light things up, nudge me awake.  Most people watching this team avidly for the past several seasons have seen more than enough to understand the steady-state issues that McDimwit is terminally limited by.  I'm not sure that watching further evidence of it is required.  But hey, for some people, they can't see things coming until it's past them.  I mean look at all the people still arguing that McD isn't that bad of a coach.  The number one thing cited by those people as to his primary product, is some ill-defined "winning culture" that typically is associated with any team that, well, wins.  That culture no longer exists.  Why not?  Because he, the one credited for it, has immolated it.  So what's the notion that he's a good coach based on now?  Some still can't see it.  

If McD never got Allen we wouldn't even be having this discussion now and McD would be the DC back in Carolina.  

BTW, you do realize that there are easier and far less time-consuming ways to watch a game after it's been played, right?  

I haven't been to a live game this season.  I no longer live in the region.  The gameday traffic related to that whole construction mess has turned me off to going to games until the new stadium is up.  

What I understand is that if there's some kind of indication that we have in fact turned a corner, then it'll be obvious.  That it won't be shrouded in a 10 point loss to a siht team with a QB that will be fortunate to be a starter in the NFL starting next season, with excuses being made for a head coach that's being hammered in the media for coaching idiocy.  

Call me nuts.  ;)

Edited by PBF81

On 11/14/2023 at 10:29 AM, dorquemada said:

gah this is so reminiscent of the drought years when we had to go to advanced calculus starting in late october to find a path to the playoffs. 

Let's go on and prepare ourselves mentally to be fully out of the playoff picture next week.   Once they lose to the Jets, i'm sure they'll pull one out of their azzes against one of the good teams we have on the schedule, and maybe 1 or 2 more just to move us out of contention for a difference making WR in the draft but this is a bad team with a bad coach, an old, slow and broken D, special teams that define the word 'special', and a QB that needs some serious counseling

Spot on 🤙🏼

Go Bills!!

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

Raiders

at Jets

at Commanders

Titans

Jets

Cowboys

at Ravens

Bills.

Take away the common games between us and them, here's what's left:  

Miami:  

Raiders 

@ Jets 

@ Commanders 

@ Ravens 

Bills: 

@ Philly

@ KC 

@ Chargers 

New England  

No comparison.  

If that were switched I'd give us some hope, of making the playoffs via division win that is.  Not in advancing past the Divisional Round for the second time in McD's 7 seasons.  

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I'm pretty sure if we lose while scoring fewer than 20 points on fewer than 300 yards and say 15 1st-Downs, that it'll be a fair assumption that we haven't turned it around that McD some some unbeknownst reason coached a great game.  

When we light things up, nudge me awake.  Most people watching this team avidly for the past several seasons have seen more than enough to understand the steady-state issues that McDimwit is terminally limited by.  I'm not sure that watching further evidence of it is required.  But hey, for some people, they can't see things coming until it's past them.  I mean look at all the people still arguing that McD isn't that bad of a coach.  The number one thing cited by those people as to his primary product, is some ill-defined "winning culture" that typically is associated with any team that, well, wins.  That culture no longer exists.  Why not?  Because he, the one credited for it, has immolated it.  So what's the notion that he's a good coach based on now?  Some still can't see it.  

If McD never got Allen we wouldn't even be having this discussion now and McD would be the DC back in Carolina.  

BTW, you do realize that there are easier and far less time-consuming ways to watch a game after it's been played, right?  

I haven't been to a live game this season.  I no longer live in the region.  The gameday traffic related to that whole construction mess has turned me off to going to games until the new stadium is up.  

What I understand is that if there's some kind of indication that we have in fact turned a corner, then it'll be obvious.  That it won't be shrouded in a 10 point loss to a siht team with a QB that will be fortunate to be a starter in the NFL starting next season, with excuses being made for a head coach that's being hammered in the media for coaching idiocy.  

Call me nuts.  ;)

Yeah, listen I'm not going to lie. I didn't read a word of this response and I don't intend to. 

I also will not comment further on it, because as sure as I am about what it's says and all the tap dancing that may be there, I don't give comments based on my own assumptions and preconceived notions. Only a real schmuck would do that, right?

On 11/14/2023 at 1:44 PM, Bills!Win! said:

The afc north is going to beat the crap out of each other. We will squeak in at 9-8. We will be fine (but not really)

Not really.  At least one of the north teams will likely get a wc spot.  Burrow is out and Watson is out.  Browns still have defense and a good run game.  No idea how their backup QB is.  Pittsburg has been playing well enough to win games and they got the Bengals twice still with no Burrow.  Pitts probably gets one of the WC spots.  That leaves two spots in a congested AFC.

Browns still have 2 less losses than we do. Texans have been playing well and have 1 less loss.  Colts, Raiders, Bengals, Chargers, Jets, Broncos all have the same amount of losses as we do.  I don't know how the Raiders are ahead of us in the seeding with the same record and we have the head to head but they are. We hold tie breakers over pretty much no one right now.  Chargers if we win? Tie with Jets if we win?

The WC race is too tight. Either Miami falls off and we get the division back by miracle or we probably are not making the playoffs.  I started another thread about this before the Broncos game.  It just isn't likely.  We are already praying other teams lose with 7 games left to play (some 😎

I'd like to say that the billsy thing to happen would be the Bills backing into a WC with utter luck and some team collapses and then go on the road in all 3 games and get to the SB.

Likely the billsy thing to actually happen is the Bills don't make the playoffs at all, Miami gets really hot in the playoffs and all the balls bounce their way.  Miami goes on to win a SB in Tua's first full season as a starter.  Meanwhile, we are stuck with McD another year to waste Josh Allen some more while they reload the defense with draft picks and whatever little FA money they happen to find.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Because they have an easy remaining schedule and the Bills have a very hard remaining schedule.

But Miami does have Dallas and Balt.  The Bills just need to be within a game by week 18 for the division title to be at stake.

Also, Miami plays NYJ twice.  And with all the QBs that have gone down who would have guessed Tua hasn't missed any time. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.