Josh Allen 177 yards and 2 INTs

Low Positive

Again I think people need to place Josh in the broader context of QB play right now.

Honestly I think defenses as a whole have just finally caught up to modern QB play. It's not just a Bills problem. I know nobody wants to hear this but the best offenses in football right now are able to run the ball at an elite level. Look at the Ravens, the Browns, the 49ers, the Dolphins, the Eagles.

Defenses are selling out to stop big plays downfield. You beat that philosophy either with pass catchers that have elite physical talent and can win downfield anyways on pure size or speed, or you beat it by punishing defenses on the ground over and over again until they finally are forced to try and stop it. We don't have either of those answers (or when we do like against the Broncos, we inexplicably get away from it). So it is left to Josh executing perfectly on slow meticulous drives with every pass in a tight window or just over the hands of a leaping zone defender. And then every drop or sack is a drive killer unless he makes a miracle happen.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I agree. The miracle plays are still there, just not as frequent. So Allen's top end play this year has not been as good as we've seen before. But on the other hand he has by far his career best completion percentage which means he is playing "normal" QB better than he ever has before. That's what I mean when I say it's been his most consistent year yet. And it's not like he has an elite group of weapons or an elite offensive coach making it easy for him.

The bad plays unfortunately really stick out this year because all of them are turning into the worst case scenarios of themselves and our team as a whole has zero margin for error so every mistake looks worse.

He's also come up clutch in the 4th quarter while trailing this year more times than I can ever remember, but his defense has let him down every time (or tried their damndest to in the Giants game).

When we lead a game for 90 seconds out of 60 minutes and the Defense is continually handed short fields, its really hard to say the defense is letting Allen down.  He's allowed to do something before 5 minutes remaining in the fourth quarter.  The offense has done nothing to take the pressure off the D.

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Again I think people need to place Josh in the broader context of QB play right now.

Honestly I think defenses as a whole have just finally caught up to modern QB play. It's not just a Bills problem. I know nobody wants to hear this but the best offenses in football right now are able to run the ball at an elite level. Look at the Ravens, the Browns, the 49ers, the Dolphins, the Eagles.

Defenses are selling out to stop big plays downfield. You beat that philosophy either with pass catchers that have elite physical talent and can win downfield anyways on pure size or speed, or you beat it by punishing defenses on the ground over and over again until they finally are forced to try and stop it. We don't have either of those answers (or when we do like against the Broncos, we inexplicably get away from it). So it is left to Josh executing perfectly on slow meticulous drives with every pass in a tight window or just over the hands of a leaping zone defender. And then every drop or sack is a drive killer unless he makes a miracle happen.

will take a hit after last night but still

1.png

17 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Nope.  Those “drops” were on Josh.  He has always been a “see it throw it” guy but it’s at another level this year.  He is so uninterested pre-snap that he is forced to process everything on the fly.  By the time he finally sees it, he often has to throw it with so much zip that it makes it nearly impossible for his receivers, crazy bounces happen, etc.  Josh is a huge problem this year and it’s his lack of preparation and work before the ball is snapped.

Of course, it would’ve helped to sign a savvy veteran receiver who happens to have the strongest hands in the entire NFL, but Beane didn’t want to shell out another $2m/year or whatever for DHop.  

I’d fire all of them.

Boy, is this true.  It's a huge part of why, as a team, we always have horrid YAC stats.

When most guys catch balls from Josh, they are standing at a  dead stop.  

Actually reminds me of Tyrod in that regard.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

When we lead a game for 90 seconds out of 60 minutes and the Defense is continually handed short fields, its really hard to say the defense is letting Allen down.  He's allowed to do something before 5 minutes remaining in the fourth quarter.  The offense has done nothing to take the pressure off the D.

But the defense and special teams isn't taking any pressure off the offense either. We are constantly losing field position and time of possession. That stuff actually matters. Field position more than anything is why a lot of analytics tools say that our offense is better than the eye test would make you think. Our defense doesn't get turnovers. No big kickoff or punt returns. We don't force 3 and outs. And so our offense which features exactly zero explosive pass catchers is being asked to work 75+ yards down the field over and over and over again. So you get these weird statistical outcomes where Allen is leading in a lot of production and efficiency metrics but it isn't showing up on the scoreboard. And almost every play we make in the pass game ends at the catch point so Allen's right arm is solely responsible for moving the ball down the field. No championship offense in recent memory has been built like that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Can we just stop doing 2 things for the remainder of the year.

1. No more shotgun draws

2. No more deep jump ball routes to 5-6 Harty.

.....just stop....

Everyone and his brothers has pointed out--a lot--that we are much more productive with Josh under center as opposed to in the shotgun. Let's see if Brady taps into that one single thing and makes a difference with it.  If he doesn't, we'll know to expect nothing new from him.

6 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Boy, is this true.  It's a huge part of why, as a team, we always have horrid YAC stats.

When most guys catch balls from Josh, they are standing at a  dead stop.  

Actually reminds me of Tyrod in that regard.

believe we are 11th in the league in YAC this season

20 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Nope.  Those “drops” were on Josh.  He has always been a “see it throw it” guy but it’s at another level this year.  He is so uninterested pre-snap that he is forced to process everything on the fly.  By the time he finally sees it, he often has to throw it with so much zip that it makes it nearly impossible for his receivers, crazy bounces happen, etc.  Josh is a huge problem this year and it’s his lack of preparation and work before the ball is snapped.

So clearly the solution is to find the guy who has been coaching Josh personally all year and promote him to OC.  

Got it.

Some people are just mental midgets. Unfortunately I just think that’s what Josh is. One word describes his demeanor on the football field: Spaz. It’s who he is at his core. He is constantly freaking out. 

He told Kyle Brandt that he vomits befor every game. I mean really? That right there should tell us all we need to know about the panic going through his body when it comes to playing NFL football games. Not to mention the absolutely insane things he’s inexplicably done on the field. Like throwing the ball backwards over his head for no reason in a playoff game. Or trying to do a goal line type horizontal dive over a guy on 3rd down ten yards short of the first. And countless other instances like that. 

I wonder if he is medicated. There are some really good anxiety medicines out there. J wonder if he needs to be medicating himself before the games. Because at this point I don’t think it’s possible for him to stop freaking out on his own. If it was, he’d have done it by now.

• Vomit 1

4 hours ago, Billiam93 said:

Some people are just mental midgets. Unfortunately I just think that’s what Josh is. One word describes his demeanor on the football field: Spaz. It’s who he is at his core. He is constantly freaking out. 

He told Kyle Brandt that he vomits befor every game. I mean really? That right there should tell us all we need to know about the panic going through his body when it comes to playing NFL football games. Not to mention the absolutely insane things he’s inexplicably done on the field. Like throwing the ball backwards over his head for no reason in a playoff game. Or trying to do a goal line type horizontal dive over a guy on 3rd down ten yards short of the first. And countless other instances like that. 

I wonder if he is medicated. There are some really good anxiety medicines out there. J wonder if he needs to be medicating himself before the games. Because at this point I don’t think it’s possible for him to stop freaking out on his own. If it was, he’d have done it by now.

Jim Kelly

George Kittel

Cole Beasley

Justin Tuck

Mark Schlereth

London Fletcher 

These are all guys who publicly admitted they vomit before games.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Billiam93 said:

I won’t say he’s a mental midget and he’s a top 3 qb so we are not picking. But he hasn’t been top 3 level this year and now that he is making that type of money, he is going to get held to a different standard. 

it’s funny a lot of posters love to hate on Lamar and Cam. They “can’t read defenses.” They are just running backs. Yet, now the talk is Allen needs to run more and is needs to read defenses better.  

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I generally agree with this. It’s what happened with Mahomes but they adjusted. I think the book is that Allen will give you the ball if you take away the big plays. 

but completion % has become the most garbage stat in a vacuum. Basically if you are under 65% in college, it’s a major red flag. If you are under like 63/64% in the nfl now, it’s a huge red flag. But the rules are set up for guys to have insane completion %. I think Trent Edwards has the highest 2nd year completion % ever. Cousins always wins completion % and they haven’t missed a best since he left.

I think Lamar (“the rb”) leads the nfl now. It’s a dumb stat without context.

4 minutes ago, Airseven said:

They do. On occasion. But not nearly as many as Allen. Allen has more befuddled games than “elite” ones across his career. It’s a valid point.

The second something goes wrong, he looks like he lost his puppy. He needs to fix that. 

I know how much Allen cares. He’s a warrior but the team feeds off their qbs body language.

9 minutes ago, Process said:

Mahomes had a worse game against the same team literally last week. What a stupid claim.

An exception for Mahomes. Common for Allen.

Allen looks to be a bit of a stat compiler. Numbers look good but he remains inefficient on the whole. He’s had two quality starts this season and the rest somewhere between middling-struggling.

18 minutes ago, Airseven said:

An exception for Mahomes. Common for Allen.

Allen looks to be a bit of a stat compiler. Numbers look good but he remains inefficient on the whole. He’s had two quality starts this season and the rest somewhere between middling-struggling.

Take a look at Mahomes game log this year and let me know what you think. I see 2 great games, 2 tire-fire games, and the rest are pretty mid. Is he a stat compiler too ? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.