Josh’s off seasons

Riverboat Ritchie

Do Nothing in Offseason

We’ve seen Allen taking part in plenty of golf during that time, but he does save room for… nothing.

To each their own the QB said. For him and his game, the best offseason activity is just to chill out.

Allen thinks the most important thing he can do when it’s not football season is to allow his body time to repair and get healthy, as he even goes as far as doing minimal working out until the start of spring practices.

With this quote in mind, everyone go watch Tom vs Time.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

None of this matters if the Bills don't change their mindset to focusing their resources on the offense and surrounding their franchise QB with the talent to fully exploit his skills.  He can spend every waking moment in the off season working out, studying film and further refining his throwing motions and foot work and it won't fix the Bills offensive problems. 

I don’t agree. He’s not surrounded by Mac Jones, Bryce Young, CJ Stroud type of no name talent. And while it would be nice to surround him with more game breakers and a wall of an oline, he does have enough now to consistently move the ball and score points. Many of his strange INTs come without pressure in his face, which suggests that he’s not reading the defense correctly. If he was more of a student of the game he’d know where to go with the ball when the defense gives a certain look. You’d see less double clutching and plays that take over 3+ seconds to get rid of the ball. More importantly you’d see less turnovers which are an absolute killer. If he spent every waking moment studying film in the offseason, I’d say it’s a good bet that we’d see a sizable jump in his mental processing the very next season. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I don’t agree. He’s not surrounded by Mac Jones, Bryce Young, CJ Stroud type of no name talent. And while it would be nice to surround him with more game breakers and a wall of an oline, he does have enough now to consistently move the ball and score points. Many of his strange INTs come without pressure in his face, which suggests that he’s not reading the defense correctly. If he was more of a student of the game he’d know where to go with the ball when the defense gives a certain look. You’d see less double clutching and plays that take over 3+ seconds to get rid of the ball. More importantly you’d see less turnovers which are an absolute killer. If he spent every waking moment studying film in the offseason, I’d say it’s a good bet that we’d see a sizable jump in his mental processing the very next season. 

That or he'd absolute overthink everything and it would result in the same problem. It's about getting the balance right. To be honest, he needs to return to Palmer next close season and go back to what he was doing before. But it'll be pointless without coaching changes at the Bills.

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Josh is more than fine in his personal life. Last I heard he and Hailee Steinfield are engaged. He's mega rich. No personal issues to speak of at all.

If anything I think he has just gotten sick of the losing. He doesn't have confidence in the system or the players around him, and it's impossible to play fundamentally sound football when you lack trust in the elements around you. I don't think this is anything close to a Carson Wentz situation where Allen has lost the locker room and completely stopped caring about football.

Personally I think it is an easy fix. He just needs a totally fresh support system around him this offseason. A new scheme to learn from an experienced offensive play caller that knows how to build the offense around his players' strengths. A head coach that isn't wound so tight and doesn't put players in the doghouse for occasional mistakes. A real WR2 would also help.

Overall I think the entire team, Josh included, has forgotten that football is supposed to be fun. They need to get some new energy in the building ASAP.

I have tended to err on the side of Josh is slow to read the play and I’ve certainly put my tinfoil hat on regarding some of his film studies.  I still think that’s all part of the issue with the QB position and the offense. But last night brought me around that it’s time to blow this thing up. Josh needs to be better but the org around him is lost too. We have to protect the franchise QB. Even with the Jets game I didn’t think the offense would get as low as the last few weeks. 

For the people who call josh hollywood and say he is hollywood and doesn't work hard.

Congrats.  You are a simpleton and you are the reason sports broadcasting and journalism is where it is at.  You buy into nonsense  and then repeat it.  

The fact that Allen is a villain on this message board is completely absurd.  

• Eyeroll 2

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

Anyone ready to say that Josh is at least as much of a problem as Dorsey?

I’ve already been saying that. I struggled to put all of the blame on Dorsey because the throws are there to be made, but the execution is lacking.

There’s a reason Brady never really fell off as a carousel of offensive coordinators cycled through the Patriots. “A great QB can make an average coach (and the players around him) look better than they are” is true more often than the inverse: “a great coach can make an average QB (and the players around him) appear better than they are.”
I’m not saying Josh isn’t a great QB, he is, we’ve seen it… but he’s not playing great football right now. 

7 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

That or he'd absolute overthink everything and it would result in the same problem. It's about getting the balance right. To be honest, he needs to return to Palmer next close season and go back to what he was doing before. But it'll be pointless without coaching changes at the Bills.

He’s already said this was his fear in watching too much film. That he’d rather play on instincts and react to what he’s seeing than overindulge in film. Well, that approach hasn’t been working against the decent teams and lately hasn’t been working against the bad ones.
I do agree that coaching changes are needed, I think this staff and Josh have already peaked and are now on the downslope of the mountain. 

7 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Allen doesn't do ***** in the offseason, he admitted it.  He will progressively regress each year he gets older.   He's not mentally there right now

And here lies the problem with Josh. He feels that a 46 million dollar per year job doesn't require working on your craft in the off season. I'm quite sure Tom Brady was able to find the time to work on his game while working on commercials and  recreation. It's possible to do both. Josh just doesn't feel it's worth his time to work on his game or with the receivers. It doesn't take months to decompress. It's something that has to be inside of him, his desire, his love for the game. I think Josh loves to win. The problem is that he doesn't hate losing like the great ones do. I got beat up on this board by a couple of people because I called Josh out about this after watching him do an interview at a PGA major. He was lamenting that he couldn't make all the majors, which was his life's goal, because he had to go to mini camp. Getting paid so much at such a young age has to be very difficult to navigate. He's still a young man and all that money can change a person. I'm not seeing the same Josh after he got paid as before he got the bag. He has time to fix it, let's hope he does. 

8 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

He did up to the pre-season just gone IIRC. I thought he perhaps decided he needed to get completely away from football after the psychological mess of last season (Araiza, supermarket shooting, trapped in Chicago, Damar) and could understand it at the time. In hindsight, it can be seen as a mistake. The upcoming post season is key - let’s see what he does with it.

I highly doubt that punt gods pending sexual harassment charges was keeping Josh up at night. The supermarket shooting, while tragic and horrible, again he didn't lose anyone in that. Damar, sure I'll give you that one.

16 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

For the people who call josh hollywood and say he is hollywood and doesn't work hard.

Congrats.  You are a simpleton and you are the reason sports broadcasting and journalism is where it is at.  You buy into nonsense  and then repeat it.  

The fact that Allen is a villain on this message board is completely absurd.  

a bit of an overreaction no?  We all want Josh to succeed, he’s an amazing talent …ya da ya da but he is really REALLY struggling this year. Get your head out of the sand. A lot of things need to change next year and Josh’s play is one of them. Go Bills. 

2 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

I highly doubt that punt gods pending sexual harassment charges was keeping Josh up at night. The supermarket shooting, while tragic and horrible, again he didn't lose anyone in that. Damar, sure I'll give you that one.

I think it was the case of one thing after another, and not just with Josh but across the franchise.

• Like (+1) 1

Many fans are going to exhaust their blame on everyone else (coaches, O-Line, weapons) before they dare to point the finger at Josh Allen.  And I get it.  You can fix roster issues in a single offseason.  You can even restart with a new coaching staff.  But once your QB becomes the team's biggest problem, it's game over.  A total rebuild is usually needed.

It pains me to say it.  But Allen is absolutely one of the biggest problems on the Bills right now.  Yes, I totally agree with firing Ken Dorsey and upgrading Gabe Davis.  We could do more to surround him with help.  But I've seen Allen do more with less than what he's got now.  His regression has been clear and obvious over the last season plus (Green Bay game last year).  I don't care about leading the NFL in completion percentage.  The big plays aren't there like they used to be.  He's not running the ball anymore or striking fear into defenses.  He's missing open receivers and telegraphing his throws.  And he's good for at least one ridiculously stupid interception per game, at the bare minimum.

None of us can see behind the scenes.  But there are lots of hints that he's just not putting the work in like he used to.  I think some fans just like the guy (who can blame them), and so they ignore all the warning signs.

Over his first 3 seasons, all we heard about was Allen working on his mechanics off the field during the offseason.  There is a reason that every single Bills fan knows who Jordan Palmer is, even though he's never been employed or played for the organization.  Now we hear that Allen is resting/healing, playing golf, and obviously spending a bunch of time filming commercials.  He's admitted in interviews to not being much of a film guy, which really explains a lot of the throws we've seen from him lately.

Lots of people want to blame 13 Seconds for de-railing this franchise.  But I think it was the ensuing offseason that really did it.  The hype over this team was ridiculous, and people were touting Josh Allen as the NFL's next great QB.  His ego swelled.  His work ethic started to slack.  And the organization itself decided to hire HIS choice for offensive coordinator, when they literally could have hired anyone to come and work with our quarterback.  Dorsey has been a disaster as a play-caller.  And instead of pushing Allen to be better, he's allowed him to lose focus and drive.

Edited by mjt328
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Anyone ready to say that Josh is at least as much of a problem as Dorsey?

Agreed. Josh isn’t a coach on the field type player like Manning and Brady. He’s instinctive not analytical. It could be he just is better at taking direction than giving it. Why Daboll was a better personality for him vs Ken. This doesn’t mean Ken sucks, it means Ken & Josh just don’t jive.

1 minute ago, Riverboat Ritchie said:

a bit of an overreaction no?  We all want Josh to succeed, he’s an amazing talent …ya da ya da but he is really REALLY struggling this year. Get your head out of the sand. A lot of things need to change next year and Josh’s play is one of them. Go Bills. 

The over reaction is calling him this childish simpleton Hollywood garbage.

yes he needs to improve as all quarterbacks strive to do but the reality is a better offensive with a better coordinator making the decisions is what is needed.  He should have thrown like 10 to 15 passes last night and they should have run it about 45 times.

and i love the fact that Allen again is a villain here this morning.  He made one bad pass for an INT and missed a wr for a first down.  The ball slipping out of his hands on the handoff is just a fluke thing and happens all qb's at times, much like a bad snap, or a lineman stepping on the qbs foot when he is dropping back etc..  I think there are people here who think he is the reason they lost last night or something.

meanwhile the defense was given another lead late in the game and came up small yet again.  Put the Jets game on Allen.  His turnovers in the second half were critical mistakes.  he is not doing that week in and week out however.  

Bottom line, you want less turnovers Run the ball more.  Get diggs open in space quicker and play better defense in critical 4th quarter situations.  

for all the problems and troubles of the team, if the defense gets a stop vs New England and Denver they are 7-3 with a bye in a few weeks to get refreshed and make some changes on offense if they want.   Instead critical penalties, missed tackles and dead ball penalties have made them 5-5.  When the head coach is a Defensive Coordinator (who has never won a championship by the way with his defense) and most of the resources go to defense, you can not blame the quarterback when said defense can not make the critical game winning plays late.

Tom Brady made a career of going down and scoring late to get leads for the first 6 or 7 years of his career before they became a passing team and the defense would play smart and get stops and they would win.  this is how the nfl goes.  its a 60 minute game, you can not tell me that an interception in the first quarter is more of a critical error than a terrible penalty and a brain dead, dead ball penalty giving the other team another opportunity to kick a game winner in the most critical moment of the game.  

So keep calling him Hollywood Allen all you want its a reflection on you and not my over reaction to it.

• Eyeroll 1

It sure does seem like he doesn’t have that razor sharp focus of getting better every year. 

I feel like he worked really hard to get good at the thing he loved, and then he started loving other things more. 

I can’t really fault him for that. He’s still good, but without that focus he’s not going to get better. I feel like Diggs saw this coming. He’s all about ball and only cares about getting better and winning the whole thing. Josh is more the work/life balance kinda guy. 

There are a lot of problems on this team. And unfortunately, Josh Allen is one of them.

He just doesn't seem to have the same preparation, focus, intensity, energy as he has in the past. Some of that is the moronic coaching of trying to rein him in too far. Some of it is probably injury making it harder to do all of that while constantly rehabbing, being in pain, etc. But some of it is definitely that I just don't see the effort from him. Maybe it's his personal life. Maybe it's just who he is. But it's a problem. 

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, Riverboat Ritchie said:

I know Josh loves golf and that is fine but it sure seems like he has not focused on training with WRs or development the last couple of seasons  as he has become more Hollywood. I don’t want to believe it and these guys definitely need an off season to reboot but I hope he gets back to training with Palmer and maybe throwing some with WRs. 

I was a little worried not only about that but also about his comment earlier this year that he studies film but doesn't overdo it.  

9 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Allen doesn't do ***** in the offseason, he admitted it.  He will progressively regress each year he gets older.   He's not mentally there right now

To many commercials.  His right, but his mind is not on football.  He is maximizing income when he can.  Not going to be to long though the way he is playing.  He is also not being himself on the field, lack of scramble is a symptom of how he is being coached.  Coached to be average, not great.

12 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

To many commercials.  His right, but his mind is not on football.  He is maximizing income when he can.  Not going to be to long though the way he is playing.  He is also not being himself on the field, lack of scramble is a symptom of how he is being coached.  Coached to be average, not great.

So Josh Allen is doing too many commercials and his "mind is not on football." 

Are you suggesting that Mahomes' mind is not on football? Is Kelce's mind not on football? How do they keep winning, year after year, while simultaneously golfing all summer, doing SNL, dozens of commercials, traveling around to MLB playoff games and World Series games and Taylor Swift concerts in Argentina (in season!) Mahomes is at MLB and NBA games at least once a week. Even Andy Reid has been in State Farm and Snickers commercials just this year. Is his mind not on football? 

You can walk and chew gum at the same time. 

• Awesome! (+1) 3

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

Over the last few years while playing with a largely average cast of offensive players Allen has been wildly successful and taken the team to 3 straight division titles and 4 straight playoff appearances.  This far exceeds anything Mac Jones has done so there is no comparison.  As for the 2 rookie QB's how about we wait another season to see how that works out.  Baker Mayfield was amazing his rookie year and then what happened?

Allen's total TD to total TO ratio is 2 to 1.  While it would be nice to see it at 3 to 1 that is not a bad number.  IMO Allen's off season efforts are not the problem here.  The problem is the situation Allen finds himself in with a defensive minded coach who won't do what every other contending SB team is doing with their elite franchise QB - prioritizing the O and surrounding their QB with the best possible talent that will fit under the CAP.

And wait until you see what the Texans do over the next couple of seasons if Stroud is for real - they will load up on their offense that's what they will do.  You can bank on it.

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

Many fans are going to exhaust their blame on everyone else (coaches, O-Line, weapons) before they dare to point the finger at Josh Allen.  And I get it.  You can fix roster issues in a single offseason.  You can even restart with a new coaching staff.  But once your QB becomes the team's biggest problem, it's game over.  A total rebuild is usually needed.

It pains me to say it.  But Allen is absolutely one of the biggest problems on the Bills right now.  Yes, I totally agree with firing Ken Dorsey and upgrading Gabe Davis.  We could do more to surround him with help.  But I've seen Allen do more with less than what he's got now.  His regression has been clear and obvious over the last season plus (Green Bay game last year).  I don't care about leading the NFL in completion percentage.  The big plays aren't there like they used to be.  He's not running the ball anymore or striking fear into defenses.  He's missing open receivers and telegraphing his throws.  And he's good for at least one ridiculously stupid interception per game, at the bare minimum.

None of us can see behind the scenes.  But there are lots of hints that he's just not putting the work in like he used to.  I think some fans just like the guy (who can blame them), and so they ignore all the warning signs.

Over his first 3 seasons, all we heard about was Allen working on his mechanics off the field during the offseason.  There is a reason that every single Bills fan knows who Jordan Palmer is, even though he's never been employed or played for the organization.  Now we hear that Allen is resting/healing, playing golf, and obviously spending a bunch of time filming commercials.  He's admitted in interviews to not being much of a film guy, which really explains a lot of the throws we've seen from him lately.

Lots of people want to blame 13 Seconds for de-railing this franchise.  But I think it was the ensuing offseason that really did it.  The hype over this team was ridiculous, and people were touting Josh Allen as the NFL's next great QB.  His ego swelled.  His work ethic started to slack.  And the organization itself decided to hire HIS choice for offensive coordinator, when they literally could have hired anyone to come and work with our quarterback.  Dorsey has been a disaster as a play-caller.  And instead of pushing Allen to be better, he's allowed him to lose focus and drive.

I want the Allen back that had a chip on his shoulder yelling "I don't know who the fork they though I was" in a playoff game. I don't think he is lazy. And I don't think he is Hollywood.

But I do think he has lost that chip on his shoulder and has bought into his own hype a bit. 

He spent an NFL career running on moxie, physicality/physiology, and chaos, but you can't survive as an NFL QB off of that. I think he his feedback loop runs on false positives; the idea that just because you can doesn't mean you should. Allen, fairly early in his career completed a lot of plays that others couldn't make, but also that he maybe shouldn't have even attempted. Doesn't see the open guy, scrambles, play breaks down, chucks it off his back leg into double coverage, 30 yard TD. Cheers, pats on back, congratulations. He completed more of these types of plays with more success than anybody, maybe ever. 

But it isn't sustainable. Teams know it is his go to, so they sit back and wait for it. His game needs to takes its next step in its evolution. 

Peyton said this during the broadcast and it gave me pause. "If you have to throw it that hard maybe you should think about not throwing it at all."

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

In fairness to Josh, this is the type of thing that only becomes an issue, or even a thought, when we are losing and things aren't going well.

If we are undefeated right now and Josh looks like the MVP, no one is talking about his summer time golf.

It does seem like he isn't as committed as he could be.  Most guys at this level are not.

What you said makes absolutely no sense 

1 hour ago, beebe said:

So Josh Allen is doing too many commercials and his "mind is not on football." 

Are you suggesting that Mahomes' mind is not on football? Is Kelce's mind not on football? How do they keep winning, year after year, while simultaneously golfing all summer, doing SNL, dozens of commercials, traveling around to MLB playoff games and World Series games and Taylor Swift concerts in Argentina (in season!) Mahomes is at MLB and NBA games at least once a week. Even Andy Reid has been in State Farm and Snickers commercials just this year. Is his mind not on football? 

You can walk and chew gum at the same time. 

While Mahomes does a helluva a lot more commercials than Allen, he also made time in the offseason to train with his receivers. Some people can engage in fun activities of life while still being committed to their craft. It’s starting to be clear that Allen isn’t that type of personality. 

12 hours ago, Riverboat Ritchie said:

I know Josh loves golf and that is fine but it sure seems like he has not focused on training with WRs or development the last couple of seasons  as he has become more Hollywood. I don’t want to believe it and these guys definitely need an off season to reboot but I hope he gets back to training with Palmer and maybe throwing some with WRs. 

Merit to the story. As an outsider looking in we saw Josh at Golf Tourneys and out or on vacations with his new lady. We did not hear much at all about training or workouts except for a couple days here or there. When Allen talked he was more excited talking about his golf game than football. He made a comment at one point about being a kid from Firebaugh he has already done way more than he could have imagined. The concern is Josh has already made it. Time will tell if he is going to stay driven to get better or take the cash and ride into the sunset. 

2 hours ago, stlbills13 said:

There are a lot of problems on this team. And unfortunately, Josh Allen is one of them.

He just doesn't seem to have the same preparation, focus, intensity, energy as he has in the past. Some of that is the moronic coaching of trying to rein him in too far. Some of it is probably injury making it harder to do all of that while constantly rehabbing, being in pain, etc. But some of it is definitely that I just don't see the effort from him. Maybe it's his personal life. Maybe it's just who he is. But it's a problem. 

I think Josh's overconfidence in his abilities makes him believe he can do it without putting in the extra work.   

3 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Over the last few years while playing with a largely average cast of offensive players Allen has been wildly successful and taken the team to 3 straight division titles and 4 straight playoff appearances.  This far exceeds anything Mac Jones has done so there is no comparison.  As for the 2 rookie QB's how about we wait another season to see how that works out.  Baker Mayfield was amazing his rookie year and then what happened?

Allen's total TD to total TO ratio is 2 to 1.  While it would be nice to see it at 3 to 1 that is not a bad number.  IMO Allen's off season efforts are not the problem here.  The problem is the situation Allen finds himself in with a defensive minded coach who won't do what every other contending SB team is doing with their elite franchise QB - prioritizing the O and surrounding their QB with the best possible talent that will fit under the CAP.

And wait until you see what the Texans do over the next couple of seasons if Stroud is for real - they will load up on their offense that's what they will do.  You can bank on it.

You’re missing the point. I’m not comparing Josh to those QBs, he’s accomplished so much more obviously. My point was that the offensive personnel he has to work with is superior to what those guys are working with as well as others not mentioned. We’d love for Josh to be protected by an impenetrable oline, to be throwing to two #1 wide receivers, to be handing the ball off to an all world RB, the offense should be easy in that setup but if he needs all of that for the offense to be counted on game after game, then we’re in trouble.

If Hopkins was the intended target on that Harty INT last night, we’d get the same result. Ditto for the last game where Allen tried to throw to Davis in the honey hole. The Jets INTs? I mean we could go on and on. If he was sharper mentally and dedicated himself to really breaking down defensive film and tendencies, to the point he knew where his answers always were in any given coverage, I’d be shocked if the offense didn’t look much better. 

I wasn’t excited by the Dorsey firing, because I don’t expect the offense to suddenly improve by leaps and bounds. Throws were available in Dorsey’s offense as well, but the execution was lacking. I would’ve been far more excited if I had read that McD had been relieved of his duties. We’ll see what happens under Joe Brady, but I surmise we’ll have many of the same complaints. 

1 minute ago, JayBaller10 said:

You’re missing the point. I’m not comparing Josh to those QBs, he’s accomplished so much more obviously. My point was that the offensive personnel he has to work with is superior to what those guys are working with as well as others not mentioned. We’d love for Josh to be protected by an impenetrable oline, to be throwing to two #1 wide receivers, to be handing the ball off to an all world RB, the offense should be easy in that setup but if he needs all of that for the offense to be counted on game after game, then we’re in trouble.

If Hopkins was the intended target on that Harty INT last night, we’d get the same result. Ditto for the last game where Allen tried to throw to Davis in the honey hole. The Jets INTs? I mean we could go on and on. If he was sharper mentally and dedicated himself to really breaking down defensive film and tendencies, to the point he knew where his answers always were in any given coverage, I’d be shocked if the offense didn’t look much better. 

I wasn’t excited by the Dorsey firing, because I don’t expect the offense to suddenly improve by leaps and bounds. Throws were available in Dorsey’s offense as well, but the execution was lacking. I would’ve been far more excited if I had read that McD had been relieved of his duties. We’ll see what happens under Joe Brady, but I surmise we’ll have many of the same complaints. 

My point has been to compare Allen's cast of offensive supporting players to what the other franchise QB's on teams that are serious SB contenders have and IMO Allen's are a big step below them. I make this point to show how the problems bedeviling the Bills offense today has little to do with Allen and almost everything to do with strategic choices made by McD/Bean 5 years ago.  

I think we both can agree though that McD bears more responsibility then either Allen or Dorsey for the sorry state of the offense this season.  He owns both the strategic direction the Bills took to emphasize defense at the expense of the offense and his meddling this season has resulted in a precipitous decline in the offense.

7 hours ago, JackKemp said:

Mahomes is in more commercials and plays a lot of golf too. Kelce is playing well and yet is “distracted” by Taylor Swift and doing a lot of commercials.

i didn't say anything about commercials.

Josh is not putting in the work to get better during the offseason

2 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

I wasn’t excited but it was needed. But seems about as much of a win win that we could get w/ exception of McD being relieved. If we pull off a miracle and win next seven games then we IDd a problem.  If not, which is more likely, it definitely creates a compelling case to fire McD. I am so grateful of the turn around and what he has done but he is a poor coach when game is on the line and team is regressing. Time for a change if we hope to salvage what is left. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.