Say you're Brandon Beane: what do you do with these three contracts?

Pine Barrens Mafia

Von Miller

Tre White

Dawson Knox

In my eyes, you can do one of three things:

1) Ride them out, be mediocre because you don't have any cap space to work with, pray to God you get some kind of production out of them

2) Burn them all after this season, eat the same cap ***** sandwich and emerge in a much healthier place in 2025

3) Cut two of three of them, triage-style, still eat the cap ***** sandwich and be better off in 2025

Are there any other options out there? I'm happy to hear them.

• Awesome! (+1) 3

Miller was always a 3 year contract we were locked into. Thats why I said the ACL injury was a killer. Took 2 years of Von away while eating a lot of cap. It was a killer injury.

Knox we’re also stuck with. Another killer contract if they can’t get 12 personnel to work.

White can be released next year with some savings.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Before they just cut Tre outright, I think they discuss a restructuring to a level that would be more in line with his new market coming off injury,

With Knox, I think they consider his value in more than just being a pass catching TE, but his blocking ability too.

As for Von, depends his level of play by end of the season.  But they’re kind of screwed there no matter what.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I part with White (his days of meaningful football are likely behind him), trade Knox with little regard for the draft picks I likely get back (I don't need that $ tied up at TE), and I work as hard as I can to reach an agreement with Miller where he's not a Bill.  He will be interested in doing a deal if I tell him that he won't be starting games. 

Miller to me isn't the vocal leader I want on the defense, and assuming the rest of the 2023 season looks like last night, his days of meaningful football are behind him.  

Edited by dpberr
  • Like (+1) 2

I think they do need to seriously consider clearing out a lot of cap and paying the piper in 2024.  Accumulate assets.

Honestly the schedule looks much 'easier' at this time, and even with a duct tape and band-aid roster with Josh Allen should compete for a playoff spot.

Then in 2025 have a new window open with a younger and hungry group

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It seems to me this offense performs best with 3 Wide and Kincaid split out. Shakir has been solid and has that agility and acceleration in short spaces that was similar to Cole. I don't know where Knox fits in anymore. I certainly hope Dorsey doesn't try and force this 12 personnel concept onto the offense when he gets healthy. 

Agree that Tre is definitely gone next year.  I'd see what I can do in terms of trade/restructure with Von, otherwise I seriously consider cutting him and taking the medicine next year.  Feels like we're stuck with Knox... which I think may be ok given he seems to be tight with Josh and at this point my biggest concern is Josh realizing he's wasting his career in Buffalo and wanting out.  I'd add Morse to the list - I think he's gone next year as well.

Tear it down, eat as much crap in 2024 as possible in terms of cap hits, and start the rebuild in 2025.  If McBeane had banked a championship already, they could have done it this year before the hole got too deep.  Because they didn’t have that luxury, they were forced to push in good money after bad in hopes of getting lucky and winning with a bad hand.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.