Bills @ Bengals postgame thread

Simon

McDermott straps them into the seat, "here's your game-plan, you'd better not score in under 2 minutes or else it's gonna make my defense even more tired." Then pull the string, and there's your 9-8 and watching January football.

The coach is just too iron-willed to ever see the error of his ways. He's the perfect type of head coach if you're polling your Bill Cowher's or Tony Dungy's. But we're in an era of the NFL where those two coaches would be spit out the other end of the coaching carousel as quickly as anyone.

I think we're on a collision course for that 0.500 target at the other end of the room (hell, maybe they'll find a way to tie a game so that's fully possible), and McDermott's not only conducting the test but he's the straps holding you in there to take the beating.

• Agree 1

• Simon locked this topic
3 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

McDermott straps them into the seat, "here's your game-plan, you'd better not score in under 2 minutes or else it's gonna make my defense even more tired." Then pull the string, and there's your 9-8 and watching January football.

The coach is just too iron-willed to ever see the error of his ways. He's the perfect type of head coach if you're polling your Bill Cowher's or Tony Dungy's. But we're in an era of the NFL where those two coaches would be spit out the other end of the coaching carousel as quickly as anyone.

I think we're on a collision course for that 0.500 target at the other end of the room (hell, maybe they'll find a way to tie a game so that's fully possible), and McDermott's not only conducting the test but he's the straps holding you in there to take the beating.

McD has no say in the offense so your theory is flawed right off the bat.

• Simon unlocked this topic

Welp, awful game.  A few things that killed us, IMO:

- Josh's turnover - terrible, terrible, terrible, led to Bengals points

- Kincaid's turnover - we were on a drive, would have made that game a lot tighter

- Refs - that roughing call that kept Cinci's drive alive and led to points.  GTFO.

Oh and then there's the D giving up a million yards and the O not scoring. :beer: 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

The best thing they can say about the Bills this morning on all the TV sports shows is that Damar Hamlin is Ok.  And that's all good.

Most are saying the Bills window has shut, start over.  Look to retool next season.

I was never in on this whole "Window" conversation, because I believe that as long as we have Josh under contract, our window is open.

But the window with this coaching staff has closed. They drew the curtains with 13 seconds. The rest has been the pane slowly sliding down.

Time to move on before we waste our talent.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Even worse and even more fireable for someone who is supposed to be HC.

Why would you want a defensive minded head coach with zero offensive experience making offensive decisions? Remember when Rex fired Greg Roman?

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

Why would you want a defensive minded head coach with zero offensive experience making offensive decisions? Remember when Rex fired Greg Roman?

A head coach is supposed to admin ALL phases of the team. It's that simple.

That's like asking why you'd want your CEO with a Finance background being involved in Operations decisions. Of course they are. They are the CEO now.

If McD can't handle that, then he shouldn't be a HC.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Welp, awful game.  A few things that killed us, IMO:

- Josh's turnover - terrible, terrible, terrible, led to Bengals points

- Kincaid's turnover - we were on a drive, would have made that game a lot tighter

- Refs - that roughing call that kept Cinci's drive alive and led to points.  GTFO.

Oh and then there's the D giving up a million yards and the O not scoring. :beer: 

They didn't get any points off of Allen's pick. They should have but between penalties and our Defense, they got knocked outta field goal range.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gambit said:

They didn't get any points off of Allen's pick. They should have but between penalties and our Defense, they got knocked outta field goal range.

Right, right - one of the few GOOD series we had! 🙃

I won't say the season is over because there's a lot more football left to play but, as a measuring stick, that game tells me that we are just an above average wild card team.

We rushed 5 and 6 defenders and still couldn't get a hand on Burrow. I didn't see any half time adjustments that challenged the Bengals on offense. Our secondary did quite well against the best WR roster in the league but we had no answer for when Burrow went to his TEs. Just like last year's playoff game. 

We have stockpiled veteran running backs and still do not have a credible running threat outside of Josh. On defense, we contain but don't dominate. As for Von Miller, he isn't playing alongside Aaron Donald or Bradley Chubb and looks quite unremarkable as a result. 

The Bengals have humbled us twice now. I think we are reasonably close talent wise but this game was never close despite the final score.

Zac Taylor is a far better coach than McDermott. The Bengals play with a confidence we haven't earned yet.

It feels like our team is looking to Josh, Diggs or Miller to pull things out of the fire week after week.

The Bengals just know they can beat anybody because they've proven it to themselves. Yes, Burrow is special but we have a franchise QB in Josh. 

We're running out of time and excuses.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.