Bills @ Bengals postgame thread

Simon

1 minute ago, Mango said:

A few things. The offense ran 21 plays the first half. 7 were in the first drive. Then they went 4, 2, 3, and 5. I wish the offense would sustain drives and get the run game going too. 

Your hot take makes zero sense.

Dorsey is running an offense with low compatibility with Josh's skill set.  Dorsey is running an offense that more resembles a pure pocket passer like Dorsey was in college vs what Josh really is.

They simply are not on the same page and don't see the game the same way.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

why isnt Josh making Dorsey look great then?   

Because the combination of Josh + his weapons AREN'T great.

That's the point.

Allen is as physically talented as they come but he has made it clear he's not going to live football like some Tom Brady type.  

Shame on McBeane for not accepting this and not putting better weapons around him.    They aren't going to change him.........he is what he is and he may never decide to be THAT level of invested.   

It's sorta' like the Dorsey complaint..........."why doesn't Dorsey just run no-huddle all game if that's what Josh and company can do/"...........well, first he has to accept that is all that Allen and his "weapons" can do.    Clearly he hasn't gotten there yet.   Shame on him but shame on Beane for not getting more receiving talent and shame on Josh for not putting in more/better work in the offseason to be prepared himself.    Like most problems in football it's not just one thing or another.

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

Again..
Dorsey was a big nothing burger.   

played four years...2 with sf and 2 with cleaveland 

16 total starts.   52% completion and 2082 total yards.  130 yards a game and 25 sacks....

this is our leader.....

Nowhere did I ever say Dorsey was a great player.

An OC doesn't have to be a great player to have to be a good play caller, but Dorsey treats Josh as a pure Brady type pocket passer instead of who he really is.

10 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Dorsey is running an offense with low compatibility with Josh's skill set.  Dorsey is running an offense that more resembles a pure pocket passer like Dorsey was in college vs what Josh really is.

Dorsey is a terrible match for Josh. The 2 times tonight we went up tempo we scored. The middle drives were more conservative constricting play calls. There's absolutely nothing clever or innovative about Dorsey's offense. The OL still struggles. The run game is gone. The supplemental wrs brought in Harty, Sherfield have been worthless.  Gabe is still mostly invisible.  No one is on the same page. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Riverboat Ritchie said:

Who do we target in draft. Gotta be a WR and maybe o line 

Season isn't over, but Right ***** Tackle. The play where Spencer Brown got confused turned sideways and let both defenders rush past him from front and back immediately to ***** up the play had me seeing spots.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

On the third drive Allen had Diggs and Kincaid wide open and he chucked it

to a well covered Harty. Then on 2nd and 10 he threw a terrible interception with Cook wide open. 

These drives happen all the time. That’s not a “style issue” that’s a “stop being a bonehead issue”.

Dorsey deserves some blame. But Allen also needs to be a better decision maker. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, juno999 said:

This game sealed it for me.  Need to get rid of Dorsey.  He's holding the offense back.  It's not all on him but you can't fire the players.

I do not necessarily disagree with you but changing OCs in the middle of the year is not an easy task. The replacement needs to be familiar with the Bills' offense and the playcalling terminology. Is there someone on staff who could take over the OC duties?

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Because the combination of Josh + his weapons AREN'T great.

That's the point.

Allen is as physically talented as they come but he has made it clear he's not going to live football like some Tom Brady type.  

Shame on McBeane for not accepting this and not putting better weapons around him.    They aren't going to change him.........he is what he is and he may never decide to be THAT level of invested.   

It's sorta' like the Dorsey complaint..........."why doesn't Dorsey just run no-huddle all game if that's what Josh and company can do/"...........well, first he has to accept that is all that Allen and his "weapons" can do.    Clearly he hasn't gotten there yet.   Shame on him but shame on Beane for not getting more receiving talent and shame on Josh for not putting in more/better work in the offseason to be prepared himself.    Like most problems in football it's not just one thing or another.

first off...your not wrong.   I think drafting has played a part of this, we keep drafting D because we keep failing at drafting D.   Maybe they figure if they just get the D where they want it the O can figure itself out.   (plus D is what mcdermot understands)

Now you take chess where both sides are even.   the person that knows where to put which pieces where and when wins. You have to be able to understand the game better and see further in advance than your adversary.

in war nothing is more important than your general.   Many wars have been won by much smaller armies because the leader understood how to use each platoon, how to plan and attack.   

You can have great players but  you still have to put them in the best position to succeed.  

One thing that does make me wonder is they are so willing to throw money at bad players...see benjamin...but so afraid of throwing a lil more money at players that would def make a difference.   idk maybe those players dont want to come here but it seems like this is a theme.  

14 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Nowhere did I ever say Dorsey was a great player.

An OC doesn't have to be a great player to have to be a good play caller, but Dorsey treats Josh as a pure Brady type pocket passer instead of who he really is.

true...i guess my point is...other than the time he spent with Daboll..which Josh did as well...what exactly has he learned the josh hasnt?   A lot of OCs either come out as offense minds or had a long carreer of learning what does and doessnt work.   I dont think you pair a learning OC with a learning qb when you have a superbowl team.    now...as far as ken seeing things through his eyes..maybe...   but either way.

10 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

One thing that does make me wonder is they are so willing to throw money at bad players...see benjamin...but so afraid of throwing a lil more money at players that would def make a difference.   idk maybe those players dont want to come here but it seems like this is a theme.  

Hopkins definitely wanted to come here. It was an open secret even before he was released by the Cardinals.

For some reason Beane has eagerly opened Pegula's wallet for fat lazy defensive lineman, but refuses to spend a penny more than his personal value on WRs. I really don't get it.

For example, how do you give Jordan Phillips anything over the vet minimum? How does a 1st round bust in Vernon Butler scam us out of millions of dollars? And then Beane goes on the press circuit lamenting how unfair it is that the salary cap makes it impossible for him to bring a player like Hopkins onto the team. Give me a break.

The 2022 offseason I at least understood their wanting to give Davis a shot after his incredible playoff performance. After last season though a much better WR2 was obviously a big need, and in Hopkins we had a very good WR who was a free agent and who wanted to play for us. How did we fumble that golden opportunity?

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Hopkins definitely wanted to come here. It was an open secret even before he was released by the Cardinals.

For some reason Beane has eagerly opened Pegula's wallet for fat lazy defensive lineman, but refuses to spend a penny more than his personal value on WRs. I really don't get it.

For example, how do you give Jordan Phillips anything over the vet minimum? How does a 1st round bust in Vernon Butler scam us out of millions of dollars? And then Beane goes on the press circuit lamenting how unfair it is that the salary cap makes it impossible for him to bring a player like Hopkins onto the team. Give me a break.

The 2022 offseason I at least understood their wanting to give Davis a shot after his incredible playoff performance. After last season though a much better WR2 was obviously a big need, and in Hopkins we had a very good WR who was a free agent and who wanted to play for us. How did we fumble that golden opportunity?

Considering it now feels like we're pushing the bloated corpse of Poona Ford off into the ocean on an ice flow, yeah might have been nice to have gone in a different direction.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

it doesnt end at offensive players.   there have been denfensive players as well that were picked up for low draft picks that were game changers for other teams.   

im not sure if its all beane or the org as a whole has no idea how to evaluate what players make a differnce.   

they came in and got rid of all the dead weight.   condemed the past org for putting the team in a black hole of expensive players doing nothing, then turned around and did the same thing.  

Edited by Comebackkid
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

there have been denfensive players as well that were picked up for low draft picks that were game changers for other teams.   

I try not to complain too much about draft pick usage. The draft is a crapshoot and I think Beane's record there overall has been better than average.

On defense at least they have tried to fill holes. Their free agent signings have not really worked out relative to the spending and some of their worst draft picks were spent on defensive players, but at least they identified problems and attempted to solve them. With WR on the other hand they have not even tried to upgrade Davis. It's an incredibly bizarre blind spot that this regime has.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I try not to complain too much about draft pick usage. The draft is a crapshoot and I think Beane's record there overall has been better than average.

On defense at least they have tried to fill holes. Their free agent signings have not really worked out relative to the spending and some of their worst draft picks were spent on defensive players, but at least they identified problems and attempted to solve them. With WR on the other hand they have not even tried to upgrade Davis. It's an incredibly bizarre blind spot that this regime has.

on one hand they kinda blew thier wad on Allen and Diggs.   On the other hand they obviously thought they would get more out of Knox and Davis.   

you have to question why prodution has been going downhill with both of them.   first it was injuries but its more than just that. Davis was always kinda hit and miss but Knox had a  great couple years under Daboll.

Edited by Comebackkid

1 minute ago, Richard Noggin said:

Are you anticipating what might be said tomorrow by others like Sal? Or are you saying this now? (That the defense is what failed us tonight; just needed that one more stop.)

Definitely making fun of WGR. 

2 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

No they do not.  They have joe brady who had no real success in carolina.

They have no veteran proven former coordinators on this staff unless u count mike shula..who doesn't really have any responsibility.  the rest are all positional coaches who may have been oc's for a short time in college.

Buffalo has an elite qb...time goes fast and he will be retiring.  The organization needs to have the best people around him.  

Kromer, Shula, Brady, and Boras are all experienced offensive coaches who have called plays. Fact.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.