Week 9 thread - We’re on to Cincinnati

BillsFan619

20 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

You are entitled to your opinion. I vastly disagree with your take. I feel that you are settling for goodness but not greatness. That's not my mentality. As a fan with an elite QB, I want the Bills to at least win an AFC championship game, make a SB appearance, and win the SB. I don't think this is an unrealistic goal. The Bills have failed to do the above repeatedly. I cannot accept the KC rational as an excuse. That's just unacceptable as a fan. 

As time passes it becomes more clear that McD isn't the guy to led this team past KC or Cincinnati. In fact teams like the Jags, Balt, and Miami may have overtaken the Bills. At the very least the gap has drastically closed. Not sure how any Bills fans can see it any other way. 

No doubt Bills football has been much better to watch. The playoff run has been great. However, I suggest that this shouldn't clout your judgement on McD and the goal of the team. The goal for years now hasn't been just make the playoffs.

I strongly disagree that it isn't McD fault. He absolutely blew the best chance the team had to make a SB appearance in 13 seconds. How you discredit that and can't see that is baffling. Then the following year his team was unprepared to play the Bengals. Despite all the circumstances it's the coaches responsibility to have his team ready. It's the coaches responsibility to have a great game plan. It's the coaches responsibility to make solid in game adjustments. We saw none of this. Zero! Zilch! Nada! How you discredit, dismiss, and fail to see this is baffling. This fan is tired of watching a head coach squander opportunities to advance this team to a SB. It's clear as day this coach has repeatedly failed.

This year is shaping up to be even a bigger failure because a playoff birth is in serious doubt. I suspect you will defend McD and say something like McD has been great.  Look at the six years of playoff appearances. Sure beats the past. That fails very short here...

It's time for change and we will see why on Sunday night. 

Let's say the season does head south. If Pegula were to make a change (I don't think he will) would it be a house cleaning with Beane and McDermott or just McDermott with Beane getting the chance to hire his 1st Bills HC. What kind of change do you think happens if Pegula does in fact make one.

29 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Let's say the season does head south. If Pegula were to make a change (I don't think he will) would it be a house cleaning with Beane and McDermott or just McDermott with Beane getting the chance to hire his 1st Bills HC. What kind of change do you think happens if Pegula does in fact make one.

I'm not sure. I suppose it depends on who is available. It's really beyond my level of expertise. Others here probably can answer this question. I just know as a fan the McD era has run it's course. 

40 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I am not a strong supporter of McDermott, but don’t think this game against the Bengals proves things one way or another.  if the Bills win a blowout victory Sunday, and go on to bow out early in the playoffs, the win will be meaningless. Conversely, if the Bills lose in a blowout loss and the Bills eventually go on to win the AFC championship game, the loss will be meaningless.  

I think the Bills miss the playoffs if they lose this game. Of course on paper that's not true. Being 5-4 with their schedule and their AFC losses makes it an extremely difficult task. If course, we fans won't give up hope. Realistically, it's a pretty big dagger in the playoffs hopes. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Jmo of course , but if a change were made ( it’s a huge if ) I don’t think Beane would be shown the door. I don’t think TPegs does this unless the rest of the season is a complete disaster. I mean , they’re 5-3 and a game back in the division. If they finish under .500 you may see a change. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

I was kind of shocked that the spread was only 1.5 for the Bengals. Am I missing something?

Maybe. The Bills are 5-3, have Josh Allen at QB and have a + 86 point differential. CIN is at home ( usu good for a point and a half ) and are 4-3. They have a point differential of - 13. This line seems about right. Maybe it goes to -2 or something. 

8 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

I was kind of shocked that the spread was only 1.5 for the Bengals. Am I missing something?

I don’t think non bills fans/ the handicappers are as high on the bengals as bills fans are.  Yea they have started slow before but their team has a lot more obvious deficiencies this season than in past years.

who knows what’ll happen but I think we’re being a bit too reactionary about their most recent win leading up to the game.  

not that this means much of anything but the bills have a massive edge in espns fpi vs the bengals.  Can’t say I’ve ever seen a betting underdog viewed so favorably by that metric before 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Maybe. The Bills are 5-3, have Josh Allen at QB and have a + 86 point differential. CIN is at home ( usu good for a point and a half ) and are 4-3. They have a point differential of - 13. This line seems about right. Maybe it goes to -2 or something. 

Some on ESPN are saying Cincinnati is now the best team in the AFC. The point differential is because of their bad start. I know some of us Bills fans can be pessimistic at times 😒 

39 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I'm not sure. I suppose it depends on who is available. It's really beyond my level of expertise. Others here probably can answer this question. I just know as a fan the McD era has run it's course. 

I think the Bills miss the playoffs if they lose this game. Of course on paper that's not true. Being 5-4 with their schedule and their AFC losses makes it an extremely difficult task. If course, we fans won't give up hope. Realistically, it's a pretty big dagger in the playoffs hopes. 

That has never stopped you from offering your opinion before.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I don’t think non bills fans/ the handicappers are as high on the bengals as bills fans are.  Yea they have started slow before but their team has a lot more obvious deficiencies this season than in past years.

who knows what’ll happen but I think we’re being a bit too reactionary about their most recent win leading up to the game.  

not that this means much of anything but the bills have a massive edge in espns fpi vs the bengals.  Can’t say I’ve ever seen a betting underdog viewed so favorably by that metric before 

It kind of reminds me of October 2021.  The Bills had been beaten in KC the previous season (with Josh's L arm in a shoulder brace) and then in the AFCCG.

We went into KC and, dare I use the word, dominated them.  We got out to an early lead by scoring a TD after KC was held to a FG, and we never let go of it.

Then we took them down to the wireiest of wires in the Division round - they had so little left they looked bad vs. the Bengals.

Before that game, many - maybe most - fans had us penciled in as a loss.

Oh...and that game was payed without Milano.   LB were Edmunds and Klein.

I don't know what will happen in Cincy.  Hopefully, the Bills will come out hungry and fierce, ready to prove that last year's playoff game was a fluke.  But, they could come out shell-shocked and suffering from PTSD after the inevitable Damar Hamlin reprise the media will force down our throats.  And, it could be we simply don't have the hosses on defense any more nor the match between players and scheme on offense.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

Some on ESPN are saying Cincinnati is now the best team in the AFC. The point differential is because of their bad start. I know some of us Bills fans can be pessimistic at times 😒 

I still think they will have a tough time getting by the Ravens. The Ravens matchup very well with them and they already beat them in Cincinnati.

8 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

First mistake : listening to anyone on ESPN. It’s hot take city these days , not reasoned football talk. I suppose their bad start - of which they’ve made a habit - can be excused away ? It’s funny , any time possible reasons are given for the Bills issues they are called excuses. The negativity and fatalism on this board is something to behold. Must be some sort of defense mechanism. Anyway, the line is not .. well, out of line . It sounds about right for two NFL teams in their current situations. Folks need to put their BBFS aside for a moment when looking at these things. 

15 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

Will be interesting to see how the Bills handle Cincy this go around. Seems like we struggle against physical teams. Would like to see a dominant performance from the offense this week from start to finish.

Would like to see them stay up-tempo to reduce the number of exotic blitz looks Cincy can dial up and make things easier on the offense in terms of reads and forcing them to stay in personnel groupings they like.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

Bengals looked great against SF, but SF is also looking rough lately.  Cousins torched them the week prior, without Justin Jefferson. 

They also should've lost to Seattle the week before that if Geno Smith wasn't out there looking like an abject dumpster fire anytime they got inside the Bengals red zone. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

I totally agree. You could make a strong argument that they should have beaten them last year in the wild card game. 

We match up very well with the Ravens. McD basically wrote the book on how to slow down Jackson..

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Bengals looked great against SF, but SF is also looking rough lately.  Cousins torched them the week prior, without Justin Jefferson. 

They also should've lost to Seattle the week before that if Geno Smith wasn't out there looking like an abject dumpster fire anytime they got inside the Bengals red zone. 

I agree with what you said, but the Bills have looked out of sorts ever since that London trip. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

Incorrect. Home field advantage is usually 2.5 to 3 points advantage. 

I think the line should be Bengals -4. 

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

Incorrect. Home field advantage is usually 2.5 to 3 points advantage. 

I think the line should be Bengals -4. 

Not anymore it isn't.  Usually a 1 to 1.5 point advantage or sometimes less than that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I think there is more negativity than objective thoughts around here. More so lately.

I've had to step away a few times lately and bite my tongue. Not that it's a real resemblance of many great posters around here, but, the GDT almost makes me want to shoot myself (kidding of course) just look at the Douglas threads from yesterday,  half the comments were ridiculous,  let alone from people that had NO IDEA what they were talking about. I don't block people because I like to see everyone's thoughts and opinions,  but some OMG!! It hurts to think about...🤣

I concur 100%. I suspect you are talking about all the negativity. However, it cuts both ways here. For example, look at when the Bills acquired Beasley and ZBrien last year. Many and I mean many were taunting how they would be difference makers. Just look at every draft pick made. Many and I mean many think the picks are fantastic. 

Yes, the negativity is bad here but the homerism is equally out of control. 

That's the beauty of this forum. However, too many people take exception to others opinions because it doesn't fit their narrative. I mean I get the troll accusations often for my negativity. It is what it is...

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

I concur 100%. I suspect you are talking about all the negativity. However, it cuts both ways here. For example, look at when the Bills acquired Beasley and ZBrien last year. Many and I mean many were taunting how they would be difference makers. Just look at every draft pick made. Many and I mean many think the picks are fantastic. 

Yes, the negativity is bad here but the homerism is equally out of control. 

That's the beauty of this forum. However, too many people take exception to others opinions because it doesn't fit their narrative. I mean I get the troll accusations often for my negativity. It is what it is...

I hear ya. I'm usually positive on this forum because I don't see the value in preparing myself for letdowns, but if you came into my office right now I could unleash a 30-minute rant on that inexcusable loss to the Pats two weeks ago. I'm still pissed, and if the Bills don't make the playoffs we'll point back to that game. 

But to assume that the Bills will lose this Sunday is a bit too much. Let's look back at that game in SF. It was really close until it wasn't. It was 17-10 in the 4th when Brock Purdy threw an interception at his own 20 to gift the Bengals a free TD. Then the Niners marched down the field to score a TD of their own to make it 24-17. Right back in it. The next Bengals TD drive was a killer, I'll give you that. And the week before that, the Bengals scored TDs on their first two drives and then managed 3 points over the next three quarters. I'm not saying that the Bengals are not a good team. They are a very good team. But you and others here are treating them like they're the Greatest Show on Turf on offense and the 85 Bears on defense. Let's let the game play out. If they get destroyed, I'll be right alongside you and everyone calling for everyone to be fired.   

• Like (+1) 1

It’s all about matchups. We can’t really compare the Seahawks-Bengals game to our situation because their defense matched up better vs. the Bengals offense than ours does currently.  Either we need to generate pressure from our interior DL and/or tighten up coverage against their quick and efficient passing game which is much easier said than done. So it seems to me pressure from DTs is the key to slowing down Burrow and the offense, but nothing we’ve seen post-Daquan Jones gives me any reason for optimism there.

idk… hopefully we found something somewhere in that extra time we had to prepare for this game. 

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I hear ya. I'm usually positive on this forum because I don't see the value in preparing myself for letdowns, but if you came into my office right now I could unleash a 30-minute rant on that inexcusable loss to the Pats two weeks ago. I'm still pissed, and if the Bills don't make the playoffs we'll point back to that game. 

But to assume that the Bills will lose this Sunday is a bit too much. Let's look back at that game in SF. It was really close until it wasn't. It was 17-10 in the 4th when Brock Purdy threw an interception at his own 20 to gift the Bengals a free TD. Then the Niners marched down the field to score a TD of their own to make it 24-17. Right back in it. The next Bengals TD drive was a killer, I'll give you that. And the week before that, the Bengals scored TDs on their first two drives and then managed 3 points over the next three quarters. I'm not saying that the Bengals are not a good team. They are a very good team. But you and others here are treating them like they're the Greatest Show on Turf on offense and the 85 Bears on defense. Let's let the game play out. If they get destroyed, I'll be right alongside you and everyone calling for everyone to be fired.   

That's fair very good post. For the record, the Bills can absolutely win the game. I'm not day ng they can't. I'm saying I don't think they will. 

19 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

It’s all about matchups. We can’t really compare the Seahawks-Bengals game to our situation because their defense matched up better vs. the Bengals offense than ours does currently.  Either we need to generate pressure from our interior DL and/or tighten up coverage against their quick and efficient passing game which is much easier said than done. So it seems to me pressure from DTs is the key to slowing down Burrow and the offense, but nothing we’ve seen post-Daquan Jones gives me any reason for optimism there.

idk… hopefully we found something somewhere in that extra time we had to prepare for this game. 

Seattle's secondary is pretty good...2 really good CB's, one of them with crazy sub 4.3 speed in Wooten(who they got in the 5th round in the same draft as Elam)

Edited by Big Turk

17 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

Yes it is all about "matchups" and IMO our offense represents a much more dangerous foe then the Sea Hawks O did.  In fact if the Bengal's D plays the Bills in the same way they played Seattle I like our chances.

16 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

I agree. The Bengals are a very bad match up for the Bills. I mean last year their oline was missing 3 starters  and the Bills pass rush was still ineffective. They couldn't stop the run or pass. I'm not convinced this defense is any better now. Maybe it's worse? They almost got beat by Tyrod and Mac Jones did what he did. Burrow isn't Baker or Tua. 

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Would like to see them stay up-tempo to reduce the number of exotic blitz looks Cincy can dial up and make things easier on the offense in terms of reads and forcing them to stay in personnel groupings they like.

tougher to use tempo on the road due to crowd noise...but the Bills have always been pretty good at using hand signals/silent communcation so it could still be utilized throughout different parts of the game (get a first down and then go up tempo because first downs kill crowd noise, etc.)

1 hour ago, first_and_ten said:

I agree with what you said, but the Bills have looked out of sorts ever since that London trip. 

As dan O said. Lou A handled / deciphered Kyle shananhans offense. And dismantled it. 

I don’t have faith that Ken D can win v Lou A. And the cincy o vs our d is just a huge mismatch any way you slice it.

32 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

Agreed. Gonna have to be a radical change on d. Like groot and shaq at DT to rush / get hands up to squash short passing game.

or rush 2-3 DL and just flood the field.

but McD doesn’t do anything like that. It’s the same. Putting poyer at OLB and rapp at safety is concerning. Cincy will abuse that in a second 

• Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, balln said:

As dan O said. Lou A handled / deciphered Kyle shananhans offense. And dismantled it. 

I don’t have faith that Ken D can win v Lou A. And the cincy o vs our d is just a huge mismatch any way you slice it.

Lol that’s a bit strong on the CIN defense. SF got plenty of yards and moved the ball well, even without Deebo and their All world OT. Their QB puked on his shoes and gave the game away late. We get it though; you’re a Bengals fan and that’s fine. 

17 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I agree. The Bengals are a very bad match up for the Bills. I mean last year their oline was missing 3 starters  and the Bills pass rush was still ineffective. They couldn't stop the run or pass. I'm not convinced this defense is any better now. Maybe it's worse? They almost got beat by Tyrod and Mac Jones did what he did. Burrow isn't Baker or Tua. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore/_/gameId/401438007

wasn’t about the pass rush. They kicked the BILLs in the mouth running the ball. 

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Lol that’s a bit strong on the CIN defense. SF got plenty of yards and moved the ball well, even without Deebo and their All world OT. Their QB puked on his shoes and gave the game away late. We get it though; you’re a Bengals fan and that’s fine. 

I trust Dan Os take over your homer one. Go listen to yesterdays one bills live segment. 

• Dislike 2

2 minutes ago, balln said:

wasn’t about the pass rush. They kicked the BILLs in the mouth running the ball. 

I trust Dan Os take over your homer one. Go listen to yesterdays one bills live segment. 

Okay, no homer take here - I’ve not said the Bills will definitely win the game. The Bengals are not exactly the ‘80s Niners and ‘85 Bears rolled into one though. 
The playoff game was a lackluster performance as you’ll see. It was also a classic case of getting outsmarted. The Bengals did exactly what you should do in the cold and snow that day. Run, get short throws in the hands of the WRs and let the skill guys run for the easy first downs the Bills scheme was ridiculously handing them. The Bills looked like they had zero idea how to play in snow - on both sides of the ball. They deserved the lumps they took that day. I don’t think it’s necessarily any indication of what to expect on Sunday night. Again, there’s not a lot of history between these teams / QBs to go on. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, proudDAD said:

I think Buffalo wins this game. Cincinnati played a mentally depleted team in the playoffs. We had already lost that game even b4 kickoff. Not this time! 

Mentally and physically depleted lol we had pretty much no one in the trenches on defense in that one…it more than offset them losing a few offensive linemen.  I think the only reason we were picked by a majority of the experts was those offensive line injuries for cincy. 

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Okay, no homer take here - I’ve not said the Bills will definitely win the game. The Bengals are not exactly the ‘80s Niners and ‘85 Bears rolled into one though. 
The playoff game was a lackluster performance as you’ll see. It was also a classic case of getting outsmarted. The Bengals did exactly what you should do in the cold and snow that day. Run, get short throws in the hands of the WRs and let the skill guys run for the easy first downs the Bills scheme was ridiculously handing them. The Bills looked like they had zero idea how to play in snow - on both sides of the ball. They deserved the lumps they took that day. I don’t think it’s necessarily any indication of what to expect on Sunday night. Again, there’s not a lot of history between these teams / QBs to go on. 

I agree w you. Except- I saw them play mnf before Hamlin injury. They were gonna get boat raced that game too. It’s just a bad matchup for us.

it’s especially bad w no DQ and Milano. But I think Douglas is better than tre right now. Of course sounds like beane and the coaches won’t play him.

• Agree 1

I still like McDermott in revenge games.  Granted, the Bills have not had too many in recent seasons, since many teams look for revenge against Buffalo.   But I've kept a mental rolodex on this and McD has always had the team prepared well for games like this.

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, balln said:

I agree w you. Except- I saw them play mnf before Hamlin injury. They were gonna get boat raced that game too. It’s just a bad matchup for us.

it’s especially bad w no DQ and Milano. But I think Douglas is better than tre right now. Of course sounds like beane and the coaches won’t play him.

Not so sure on the MNF either. It was 7-3 pretty quick- Bills could probably have gone for it too. Even if you spot CIN 14-3 for a bit, it could very quickly have been 14-10. Not quite a drubbing after say a quarter or so of football. This matchup thing is a bit overblown yet it’s accepted as gospel after basically a single meeting between two teams. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

To me, a lot comes down to seeing the same up-tempo/spread the ball around offense like we saw most of TB game.  If our O is clicking like it was last game, we'll be in good shape regardless of the other side of the ball.  Mix in some well-timed JA runs and maybe a trick play or two (haven't seen one in awhile).  My prediction is a close game, over 55 points scored, and it'll come down to the end.  Not necessarily a shootout but a fair amount of scoring.

Edited by TheWei44
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, balln said:

Idk how saying SF piled up a bunch of yards missing two huge pieces of their offense is a homer take.  That’s literally factual information.  If we’re hyping up their offense strictly from the SF game shouldn’t it also be fair to nitpick the defense from that game as well? 
Cincy is also down both safeties from last season one of which is fantastic so I think assuming their defense is gonna be peak 2022 form due to one win is mostly illogical anyway. 

id be shocked if SF didn’t go over 550 yards with Deebo/Trent Williams playing.  Our offensive line is inconsistent but that SF oline is flat out bad when you take Williams out of the equation 

guaranteed if we had beaten sf last week the ‘we have no chance against cincy’ crew would be falling all over themselves to be the first to post about the guys SF was missing and how the win shouldn’t count 

the ‘cincy is gonna destroy us the oddsmakers got the spread so wrong’ crew is letting me down man…I thought y’all would push the spread up to 4.5 and I could swoop in and take the bills 😂. Spread has actually gone a half point in buffalos favor recently…I’ve been following closely

24 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Not so sure on the MNF either. It was 7-3 pretty quick- Bills could probably have gone for it too. Even if you spot CIN 14-3 for a bit, it could very quickly have been 14-10. Not quite a drubbing after say a quarter or so of football. This matchup thing is a bit overblown yet it’s accepted as gospel after basically a single meeting between two teams. 

That’s what surprised me so much about the playoff game…we were mauling their dline on that first drive in the regular season matchup so I expected more of the same.  Looked like our guys were on roller skates in the playoff game like they all made horrible footwear decisions or something lol

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.