Bills!Win!

Duffs vs Anchorbar  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better?

• Duffs
    • Anchorbar

50 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Read your post.  Just where are you?

I used to go to Duff’s for the beer (when I was 16). Looks like I’m not alone?  “Pre-gaming indeed! 

I’ve tried going to Duffs when I go back, but I can never get in without a ridiculous wait. I have always been able to get into the Anchor Bar. Duff’s get my vote if only because it was closer to home. 

To be fair, I have told people going to Buffalo there is a lively debate among locals about who has “the best”, but Anchor Bar is generally acknowledged as “the first.”  Having said that the show The Foods That Built America (History Channel?) had some guy who lived by the Rockpile selling them at his place and in the stadium. I don’t think the flats and drums were split, but they were served in a hot sauce if my memory is correct. That was new to me. 

Edited by Augie

2 minutes ago, Process said:

The correct answer is neither. But if you have to choose between those two iDuff's is definitely better. 

Anchor Bar is a tourist trap, you may as well go to Buffalo Wild Wings. 

Technically duffs is also a tourist trap because every single person outside of Buffalo that's the one name they know usually 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Process said:

Yea but I find their wings are actually pretty good (though they used to be better). 

Yes ofc they are good

I'm just saying they might be the most popular spot in Western New York so that alone makes it a tourist trap

That still makes good wings... You just need to find a Duff's that doesn't have a huge wait time... The one in depew on Dick road has pretty good service

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I used to go to Duff’s for the beer (when I was 16). Looks like I’m not alone?  “Pre-gaming indeed! 

I’ve tried going to Duffs when I go back, but I can never get in without a ridiculous wait. I have always been able to get into the Anchor Bar. Duff’s get my vote if only because it was closer to home. 

To be fair, I have told people going to Buffalo there is a lively debate among locals about who has “the best”, but Anchor Bar is generally acknowledged as “the first.”  Having said that the show The Foods That Built America (History Channel?) had some guy who lived by the Rockpile selling them at his place and in the stadium. I don’t think the flats and drums were split, but they were served in a hot sauce if my memory is correct. That was new to me. 

John Young I think his name is served wings well before anchor bar. He used “Mumbo” sauce. Other places had them as well. I’m not sure why anchor bar gets credit for it but they were definitely not the first. Maybe it’s the butter and hot sauce on them?

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

If you want to see where wings were started, Anchor Bar.  If you don't care about history, and just want good wings, Duffs.  

What did they start? The hot sauce and butter? Because wings were around before Anchor bar claimed to “invent” them. They were cooked in the south for a very long time before anchor.

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yes ofc they are good

I'm just saying they might be the most popular spot in Western New York so that alone makes it a tourist trap

That still makes good wings... You just need to find a Duff's that doesn't have a huge wait time... The one in depew on Dick road has pretty good service

I was just about to post "Just avoid the Duff's on Dick Rd in Depew", haha. I had a horrible experience there. Granted it was about 8 years ago now, and things change. But that is where I discovered the whole "We just license the name, every franchise is independent" because they were not good there.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I was just about to post "Just avoid the Duff's on Dick Rd in Depew", haha. I had a horrible experience there. Granted it was about 8 years ago now, and things change. But that is where I discovered the whole "We just license the name, every franchise is independent" because they were not good there.

Don't go there often

I just remember not the longest wait times

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The one in the falls was great for the first month or two it was open then dove off a cliff. Eastern hills mall was beyond terrible when they opened then got better then worse, haven’t been back. OP has eye candy but the wings were really undercooked each time I’ve been. Millersport and Sheridan is the best one but they had some issues with consistency before Covid. 

17 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

The one in the falls was great for the first month or two it was open then dove off a cliff. Eastern hills mall was beyond terrible when they opened then got better then worse, haven’t been back. OP has eye candy but the wings were really undercooked each time I’ve been. Millersport and Sheridan is the best one but they had some issues with consistency before Covid. 

That was the closest to me, and may well have been the only one at the time in the 70’s.  We would go there for pitchers of beer when I was 16-17ish but I was the young one in the crowd so nobody blinked. 

When I was back a few years ago I tried to get in and it was packed! Huge crowd outside waiting, but I went to look for a single seat at the bar. (I hate to take a table as a single.) It was so packed inside I didn’t even notice a bar! Do they have one? Is it small? I was always at a table and don’t remember.  🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

That was the closest to me, and may well have been the only one at the time in the 70’s.  We would go there for pitchers of beer when I was 16-17ish but I was the young one in the crowd so nobody blinked. 

When I was back a few years ago I tried to get in and it was packed! Huge crowd outside waiting, but I went to look for a single seat at the bar. (I hate to take a table as a single.) It was so packed inside I didn’t even notice a bar! Do they have one? Is it small? I was always at a table and don’t remember.  🤷‍♂️

My grandparents lived a couple houses away from there. They couldn’t stand the smell, anytime they ordered wings they went to Leonardi’s.  I loved them but I didn’t have to smell the grease every day. Their house was recently knocked down for an apartment building, it’s depressing driving by now. 

I don’t think they have a bar anymore. Pretty sure it’s just a waitress station and place to pick up to go orders now. 

• Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’ve always been an Anchor Bar defender.  Not good by Buffalo standards, but plenty good enough if you don’t know better.  It’s all about perspective.  I’ve been there several times throughout the years, and always had solid wings.

This past February, my wife got me Sabres tix for my birthday.  It was my kids’ first time visiting Buffalo, so I thought I’d bring them to the Anchor Bar mainly for the experience.

It was a disaster.  The wings were horrible.  It was almost as if they were sitting under the heat lamp for 15 minutes before the waitress brought them out, and the restaurant was not busy at all.  The wings (Buffalo mild) also had a strange, funky odor to them.  It was bizarre.  I don’t think I’ll ever go back.

The next day right after the game, we went to Gabriel’s Gate and had some AMAZING wings.  It was well worth the 45 minute wait to get a table.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/26/2023 at 2:43 PM, Bills!Win! said:

We are currently at Duffs for our pregame tradition. However, my wife is afraid to have  anchorbar because she is dedicated to Duffs. I want to try something new. Please respond to the poll so I can tell her what true buffalonians prefer 

If you want to try something new hit up Nine Eleven Tavern.

• Like (+1) 2

No Anchor Bar.

Duff's IMO is really good, mainly the one on Sheridan.  Many locals poo on it.  Same thing in Philly.  All the locals poo on Pat's and Geno's.  I lived there awhile and tried several different places and IMO Pat's and Geno's were right there.  

We did Gabriel's Gate 2x.  First time the wings were pretty good.  Second time, they were undercooked rubbery cadaver meat and we never returned.

I have a place on Grand Island that serves the best, most consistent wings.  A small joint called the Village Inn.  

Edited by May Day 10

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.