Shakir, Harty, Shurfield

Matt_In_NH

Our personnel use on offense is a head scratcher frequently, we use available pass catchers as blockers, more frequently than receivers, and all our opponents know who we are going to target on most every pass play. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

We replaced McKittrick with Sharty, a more expensive, less effective option.  Sherfield is even less effective, if that's possible. Then there's Shakir. To paraphrase the great David Bowie, ShShShShShiddy....

The bigger laugh is that people all around actually thought Harty and Sherfield were going to be some answer. They doing what they’ve always done. Almost absolutely nothing. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Harty they really only seem to want to use in the gimmick role. He runs the bubble screen, swing pass, and the odd outside hitch but that seems to be all. I am sure they have sent him deep once or twice but I don't recall them offhand and I don't think he has been targeted deep. 

Sherfield is their next man up outside. And he blocks. so that is probably why his count is higher. Shakir slowly but surely has earnt himself more time after a disappointing summer. I think he stands to be the biggest beneficiary of a move to more 11 personnel. 

Where are the jet sweeps with Harty? 

• Haha (+1) 1

Harty they really only seem to want to use in the gimmick role. He runs the bubble screen, swing pass, and the odd outside hitch but that seems to be all. I am sure they have sent him deep once or twice but I don't recall them offhand and I don't think he has been targeted deep. 

Sherfield is their next man up outside. And he blocks. so that is probably why his count is higher. Shakir slowly but surely has earnt himself more time after a disappointing summer. I think he stands to be the biggest beneficiary of a move to more 11 personnel. 

Sharty gets 20 yards downfield and he vanishes from radar.   He's too small to be the deep threat some fans wanted.   There was a time from the 70's-90's when you saw an undersized receiver and you knew that guy was running a lot of 9 routes.   But I think Jermaine Lewis was the last 5'7" and under WR to actually be a legit deep threat and that was 20 years ago.   People think DeSean Jackson was small but he was 5'10".   Steve Smith was 5'9" but a great leaper with power and body control.   Influx of big CB's who can run have made the diminuitive deep threat all but extinct.

33 minutes ago, mrags said:

The bigger laugh is that people all around actually thought Harty and Sherfield were going to be some answer. They doing what they’ve always done. Almost absolutely nothing. 

This!  I can't believe the hype from our fan base when we signed Harty and Sherfield, who were both JAGs, just liked they rolled out last year.  I was extremely disappointed in the signings if they were actually our replacements, which they are

• Thank you (+1) 1

They brought these guys in to add to the weaponry for Josh & to this point after Sheffield having a really good camp & good preseason has really not been used on game day only sparingly i would like to see him get a few more targets maybe even use him in place of Gabe due to his inconsistency .

Harte should be used his speed is something that is another weapon & when he has been targeted he has shown that he can get some YAC yards just not sure if this is a chemistry thing with Josh or what but they need to figure these guys talents into the equation !! 

I would like to see Shakir in the slot a lot more. He’s not the biggest or fastest, but he seems to have a knack for finding space. 

I’d also like Harty and Shakir to see more diversified action. When Harty is on the field it would be nice to use him outside of his gimmicky plays and make the defense respect the amount of space he can cover in a short time. I thought he flashed with his short area quickness last week. Also much tougher than I thought he’d be as a ball carrier. I’d like to get him some more touches in general.

5 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Looking at snap counts.   Sherfield 150, Shakir 118, Harty 102.....the mix seems odd to me given expectations.   Shakir has out snapped the other two for 3 straight weeks, is that because the staff likes what they see in him or they don't like what they see in the others?   Like most of you, I expected Harty to have more of an impact and I think that s the big surprise here.  We should see a different mix with Knox and Morris out, more 11 is coming.   I would like to see Harty get a few of Gabe's snaps maybe.

Just spread 100% of Gabe's snaps to everyone else.  In other words make him a healthy scratch like Elam.

He was wide open deep against NE, but Josh seemed to forget that he's 5'6" and not 6'4" ...

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

This raises a few questions in my mind and a few thoughts. 

1. Are our systems too complicated to begin with? Both on offense and defense. It seems like newer players have issues grasping the playbook here more than I've ever seen in my life.

2. Are new players held to the same standards that those that have been in the system are? Feels like not. 

Take Dorian Williams for example. Been benched for making mistakes. Elam benched for making mistakes. But flip that around and I've never seen Davis or Knox benched for drops.  Last year Cook fumbles non his first carry and spend most of the year in a limited role. 

3. Are Beane and McDermott really on the same page as much as they say? That I don't know. You say is it McDermott's view that Beane isn't getting the right guys...and to that I would say yes. Like him or not, I think we all know McDermott likes physical tough football. And I just don't think Beane has built a team to reflect that on all fronts. Beane seems to like the athletic guys that score big on the RAS. Is that Sean's wheelhouse? I don't think coaching modern fast paced football is a McDermott trait...but it's what Beane seems to build.  I just don't think they have the same vision anymore. 

Our systems are way too complicated compared to other teams. And because of this it takes way too long for new players to assimilate. And as far as drafting physical football players, McB are clearly not on the same page. We are a finesse team that requires a lead to succeed. This team has not been physical since JA arrived. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Our personnel use on offense is a head scratcher frequently, we use available pass catchers as blockers, more frequently than receivers, and all our opponents know who we are going to target on most every pass play. 

Pretty sure Knox hurt his wrist staying back to block on pass pro. Like wrecking your Lamborghini trying to move furniture. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

I know this is a somewhat different point, but we're seeing that blocking by "skill positions" players is really important. Lots of folks here hate it, but that's something PFF takes into account when they score players - they look at every play and whether the player succeeded in what appears to be his assigned role. Cook whiffing on blocks, some receiver putting in a bad effort on a block on a screen, etc. If our pass catchers aren't blocking effectively on screens and the screen fails, that's on them, not Dorsey.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.