Mac Jones Career Day yesterday

RoyBatty is alive

Mac Jones had his best game by far yesterday,  His quarterback rating was 126.7 for the day.  Even with yesterday's inflated number, his average rating for this year is 81.8.  His highest game day rating this year before yesterday was 91.3 with a low of 30.5.

And he looked like Joe Montana in his prime, setting a completion percentage ratio of 83.3% and again including yesterday's inflated number, his average this season is 66.7%.

And yet I read several threads on TDB about how desperately we need to fire Ken Dorsey, how josh Allen looks disinterested, etc. 

The glaring problem isnt on offense, not on Dorsey and Not on Allen (except the Jets game). 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Mac Jones had his best game by far yesterday,  His quarterback rating was 126.7 for the day.  Even with yesterday's inflated number, his average rating for this year is 81.8.  His highest game day rating this year before yesterday was 91.3 with a low of 30.5.

And he looked like Joe Montana in his prime, setting a completion percentage ratio of 83.3% and again including yesterday's inflated number, his average this season is 66.7%.

And yet I read several threads on TDB about how desperately we need to fire Ken Dorsey, how josh Allen looks disinterested, etc. 

The glaring problem isnt on offense, not on Dorsey and Not on Allen (except the Jets game). 

This is accurate

Jags offense was stuck in neutral before they got us also

The defensive numbers are concerning

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

To make things worse, his average Yards per target was under 4, so he had a lot of success throwing screens and short passes with lots of YAC. That is entirely on the D.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

The glaring problem is we have stupid coaches on both sides of the ball.  And as long as that exists,  Josh's talents will be wasted.  Kinda like Mike Trout. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

To make things worse, his average Yards per target was under 4, so he had a lot of success throwing screens and short passes with lots of YAC. That is entirely on the D.

Yeah, our tackling was comical, especially on that long screen pass on the pasts last drive, what did he have  34 yards screen pass with multiple missed tackles.

Just now, Maine-iac said:

Our DE's look much better when there is a DT attacking the middle and chasing the QB to them.  Can't get Oliver back fast enough.

Absolutely. 

I knock Oliver but he’s the best option we have in the middle to generate pressure. Couple that with Floyd not having a great day and the outcome was rough. 

Floyd and Oliver look to be the reasons the others have great success in and around the trenches. 

1 minute ago, dorquemada said:

we're a get well game for other teams

highlight reel needs yakety sax

What makes it even worse, we are giving these broke dick QBs that are on the edge Daniel Jones, Zach Young and Daniel Jones a tremendous boost of confidence.'

Imagine, we have somehow managed to lose to some of the WORST QBs in the league in an alleged QB driven league.  "You cant win in this league without a franchise QB" blah blah blah, lol.

10 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Our DE's look much better when there is a DT attacking the middle and chasing the QB to them.  Can't get Oliver back fast enough.

Well, OK, obviously, as it would be on any team.  

But does that explain the drop off a cliff in the production of Groot, AJE, and Floyd, who combined for 0 sacks, 0 TFLs, and 1 QB Hit among them?  

It could also be that we overrated everyone based upon our play against QBs like Wilson, Howell, Taylor, and Garoppolo.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

But does that explain the drop off a cliff in the production of Groot, AJE, and Floyd, who combined for 0 sacks, 0 TFLs, and 1 QB Hit among them?  

It could also be that we overrated everyone based upon our play against QBs like Wilson, Howell, Taylor, and Garoppolo.  

If you DT's are not clogging the running lanes then you bring guys in to help stop the run.  Then you have less coverage and the QB has throws available to him that he normally wouldn't and your DE's don't get there because the QB isn't holding the ball.

Jones had so much time.

And that's the scouting for him. He's great w/ a clean pocket.  He falters when pressured & when he has to improvise.

But our offense being inept for a half let their offense set the tone, and the pace.  If our offense gets up on them early, it could have made them more one-dimensional.

• Like (+1) 1

He had a lot of help the missed call with the offensive lineman on the last drive in there own end for the big play to get the New England Patriots in Buffalo Bills territory and the Bills were terrible yesterday tackling. Here is the deal ask the New England Patriots fan rubbing it in today you want Mac Jones or Josh Allen? I rest my case Josh Allen in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

25 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I think the lack of production from the edge rushers is simply down to New England's offense. The average air yards per Mac's throws was under 4 yards. The ball was coming out super fast. And we couldn't make him hold it because we didn't try and fool him with coverages instead we stupidly blitzed all day and he is good pre-snap. He knew where we were coming from. 

Was a bad gameplan exacerbated by awful tackling and two DTs who were frankly absolutely useless.

11 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It wasn't a career day...I think that came last year against the Vikings even tho they lost.

Depends on how you look at it but he did have a great game versus them.

IMO he did have a career day versus the Vikings last year (until yesterday) as they were a defensive sieve.  He threw for more yards versus the Vikings with a lot more throws, completed 71.7 versus the Vikings versus 83.3 versus us, scored more points versus us  and was perfect in a game winning ending drive.

1 hour ago, Maine-iac said:

If you DT's are not clogging the running lanes then you bring guys in to help stop the run.  Then you have less coverage and the QB has throws available to him that he normally wouldn't and your DE's don't get there because the QB isn't holding the ball.

Yeah, common sense.  But still, there's no reason why a D should go from stout up front to that with the loss of a single player.  

Also, a giveaway, is that everyone's talking about Jones as if he was a perennial pro-bowler or something.  He's been a very average player throughtout most of his career.   Last season here he was good but hardly earth-shattering.  He had a great start to the season, but to think that he was going to play like that all season long is ridiculous.  Be nice, but obviously wasn't going to happen.  

Either way, you've gotta make due.  We'll what happens going forward.  

Again, we're hardly the only team that sustains injuries, and in fact, we've been on the lighter end generally speaking.  I mean one of the Bosa's went out a couple of seasons ago and that D didn't plummet off the face of the earth.  That's like losing Milano.  But the problem there is no significant depth behind him and no one even approaching being able to take his place.  That's on Beane.  I know I've been mentioning it for two years.  No doubt he was aware.  

They just have other plans, and when your entire philosophy depends upon rotation of players, and several go down, you're impacted primarily because you can no longer rotate the same class of player.  Not necessarily because a couple of players are out.  

Make sense?  

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the lack of production from the edge rushers is simply down to New England's offense. The average air yards per Mac's throws was under 4 yards. The ball was coming out super fast. And we couldn't make him hold it because we didn't try and fool him with coverages instead we stupidly blitzed all day and he is good pre-snap. He knew where we were coming from. 

Was a bad gameplan exacerbated by awful tackling and two DTs who were frankly absolutely useless.

That may be generally true, but it's still vivid in my mind him also spending much time in the pocket, or at least in his backfield.  LOL  

I haven't watched the review yet, I'll try to get to that.  

This week's game is going to be interesting.  

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

What's really hilarious was he was throwing noodle-armed, slow-motion rainbows to his receivers. The kind of passes that would usually get picked off in the NFL. But our D was behind the play all day.

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Outside of the 20 yard run by Douglas, 3.3 ypc for 76 yards? Run defense was the least of issues 

Sure after the first the first two drives where they ran it down our throats and scored twice we adjusted to stop the run.  Now ask me why Jones had open guys to throw to might have to do with us having to play the run.

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

How anyone can defend the defence yesterday is completely beyond me.  Mac Jones, Mac Freakin Jones picked them apart.  

But go ahead blame Allen.  

Love you McD apologists.😜

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Yeah, common sense.  But still, there's no reason why a D should go from stout up front to that with the loss of a single player.  

Also, a giveaway, is that everyone's talking about Jones as if he was a perennial pro-bowler or something.  He's been a very average player throughtout most of his career.   Last season here he was good but hardly earth-shattering.  He had a great start to the season, but to think that he was going to play like that all season long is ridiculous.  Be nice, but obviously wasn't going to happen.  

Unfortunately it's not just a single player.  This game it was Jones and Oliver.  The drop off from Jones to Phillips or Oliver to Phillips is significant but he can play beside one or the other and we can still play our defense.  Remove both Jones and Oliver and now you are starting Settle or Ford beside Phillips and neither of them have shown an ability to make the necessary plays in our defense.  The way NE started out reminded me of Cinci last year.  We couldn't stop the run and then once we were chasing our tail we couldn't stop anything.  NE is no Cinci so we made a few plays but ultimately with a healthy roster I have no doubt we would have flogged NE. 

Could this be the 3-layer chess thing that Spock used to play?

Mac gets back on track.  The Pats lose out on the Williams/Maye sweepstakes.  Mac does just enough to get an extension next year, a la Danny Jones.  Mac reverts back to form, and the Pats are stuck w/ him for years.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Was re watching the game earlier and as you mentioned this I was picturing cam lewis (#30) whiffing on Douglas on some sort of Jet sweep.  I'd call it a broken tackle but Lewis literally got nothing.

1 hour ago, Maine-iac said:

Unfortunately it's not just a single player.  This game it was Jones and Oliver.  The drop off from Jones to Phillips or Oliver to Phillips is significant but he can play beside one or the other and we can still play our defense.  Remove both Jones and Oliver and now you are starting Settle or Ford beside Phillips and neither of them have shown an ability to make the necessary plays in our defense.  The way NE started out reminded me of Cinci last year.  We couldn't stop the run and then once we were chasing our tail we couldn't stop anything.  NE is no Cinci so we made a few plays but ultimately with a healthy roster I have no doubt we would have flogged NE. 

Well, and we're never going to agree here, but the dropoff from Jones to Phillips isn't as great as everyone's making out.  It's short memory syndrome.  

To start, Jones wasn't the wrecking crew that he was in three games this season any of last season.  That wouldn't have lasted.  As it is, it appears that the entire team D exhausted itself through the Miami game and that the tank has been empty since, with or without Milano and Jones but obviously worse with them out.  

Phillips and Jones have played about the same number of seasons and games.  Phillips has started fewer than half as many games but in less than half the starts and about 2/3 the snaps, Phillips has significantly more sacks, more TFLs, and the same QB HIts in his career.  That wouldn't be the case if the dropoff was that large.   

We've turned Jones into a legend his play against the Raiders, Skins, and Miami.  The entire team went nuts during those three games.  To the extent that they spent themselves.  

Again, we won't agree on that, but losing Milano is altogether different.  But it wasn't an exercise for MENSA members to figure out what would happen if Milano ever got hurt.  You know that.  

We'll see what happens going forward.  None of this is worth debating though.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.