Devils advocate...what is Josh is the problem?

Hebert19

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I’d be more worried we are seeing Andrew Luck 2.0 here.  All I want is for him to stop being a turnover machine and actually read the defense and throw when he hits his drop, prioritize moving chains and situational football over flashy hero ball. 

Seems pretty reasonable to me 

None of this is true.  You're just throwing crap at the wall like monkeys do in the zoo.

Allen hasn't been a TO machine since week 1. And a more accurate description of Allen is that he's a TD producing machine.

Allen doesn't actually read defenses?  Really?  So that 17 play 81 yard TD drive against the Giants was improvisation?

Throw the ball when he hits his drop?  What the hell does that even mean with a DT in his face?  Sounds like your throwing football jargon around to impress people.  That might work at Fishhaven.

Allen doesn't prioritize moving the chains?  Where do the Bills rank in getting first downs?  Doesn't seem to be a problem when you look at the actual data and not just make stuff up. And how many first downs did Allen produce in those long TD drives the last couple of weeks?

Allen is doing a lot of "flashy hero ball" is he?  I think you're mistaking Allen making spectacular plays that only he can make with hero ball. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bockeye said:

Haven’t sifted through all the crap you have all posted, but it’s freaking obvious——->

Brittany Williams > Hailee Steinfeld

Who?  kidding, I like the latter much better.  Sheryl Crow would be perfect.

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever
  • Haha (+1) 1

What ever happened to the fire in this dude? Remember the run against the Cowboys on thanksgiving? Remember the fire he had before 13 seconds Or all The times he’d run around making plays and get up and show so much fun and raw emotion? Did these POS coach that out of him? We coached the playmaker out of Tyrod and the guy was a shell of himself in that Jags playoff game. We had the most uniquely gifted QB in the NFL and probably turned him into a robot. There might never be a more inexcusable act than coaching the playmaker out of this kid. If that’s what we did. It certainly looks like it.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

None of this is true.  You're just throwing crap at the wall like monkeys do in the zoo.

Allen hasn't been a TO machine since week 1. And a more accurate description of Allen is that he's a TD producing machine.

Allen doesn't actually read defenses?  Really?  So that 17 play 81 yard TD drive against the Giants was improvisation?

Throw the ball when he hits his drop?  What the hell does that even mean with a DT in his face?  Sounds like your throwing football jargon around to impress people.  That might work at Fishhaven.

Allen doesn't prioritize moving the chains?  Where do the Bills rank in getting first downs?  Doesn't seem to be a problem when you look at the actual data and not just make stuff up. And how many first downs did Allen produce in those long TD drives the last couple of weeks?

Allen is doing a lot of "flashy hero ball" is he?  I think you're mistaking Allen making spectacular plays that only he can make with hero ball. 

data you say? 

who leads the nfl in turnovers since 2018? Who has never had two consecutive no turnover games?

chain moving neglect:
 I reviewed over a dozen plays where it’s an obvious problem- See cover 1 for further confirmation- this has been a consistent problem particularly in the losses. They know a LOT more about football than you. 

reading defenses:

I cannot remember seeing a recognized blitz and a hot route hit to beat it. He’s not progressing through his reads, or anticipating. It’s why lousy defenses are so easily beating him right now. Remember he shocked Mcafeee that He doesn’t like to over indulge on film. 

Jargon to impress people 😂 sorry you feel that way, it’s pretty simple stuff. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

He's been awful for 3 games.  He's got it in him, he just isn't on his A game.  Or B game.  He has the yips.  Hopefully they're gone soon....

The offensive scheme is a total polar opposite to what allen does best..mind numbing how our coaches think this is the best path forward when you have a qb with Allen's skill set

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

data you say? 

who leads the nfl in turnovers since 2018? Who has never had two consecutive no turnover games?

chain moving neglect:
 I reviewed over a dozen plays where it’s an obvious problem- See cover 1 for further confirmation- this has been a consistent problem particularly in the losses. They know a LOT more about football than you. 

reading defenses:

I cannot remember seeing a recognized blitz and a hot route hit to beat it. He’s not progressing through his reads, or anticipating. It’s why lousy defenses are so easily beating him right now. Remember he shocked Mcafeee that He doesn’t like to over indulge on film. 

😂😂😂Where do you come up w these things

'never had two consecutive no turnover games' 

9 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Critique:  I think Josh could do a better job getting the ball out on time. He is still missing some reads. It's forcing him to hold the ball. 

Board: Do you know where we would be without Josh Allen? Somewhere south of your moms tramp stamp and north of the back of her knee if you catch my drift

Critique: Ahhhhh, I don't ..

Board: Exactly. You aren't fan enough for Josh. You don't deserve Josh. You call yourself a fan? A real fan would know what would happen if Josh wasn't here

Critique: Well, ya. We probably wouldn't make the playoffs. He's an MVP candidate. But I can talk about when he makes mistakes can't I?

Board: LMAO! Josh Allen always plays well you microscopic Bildo tip. Clearly you know nothing about the game. I doubt you were even a fan in 2021. 

Critique: I have been a fan for 30 years. Josh isn't playing well, we do need him, but we need him to play well. He is part of the problem right now. 

Board: You must be Joe Marino's little brother. Who do you suggest we trade Josh for? Go on. Who? Go on? Who? Go On GO ON CAP CAPS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Critique: Look we shouldn't trade him I never said that. What is even happening. 

Board: Josh Allen just happened. Touchdown............

Critique: The Games not for several more days

Board: Josh is that good 

Critique: This is dumb

Board: I know you're but what am I

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

What ever happened to the fire in this dude? Remember the run against the Cowboys on thanksgiving? Remember the fire he had before 13 seconds Or all The times he’d run around making plays and get up and show so much fun and raw emotion? Did these POS coach that out of him? We coached the playmaker out of Tyrod and the guy was a shell of himself in that Jags playoff game. We had the most uniquely gifted QB in the NFL and probably turned him into a robot. There might never be a more inexcusable act than coaching the playmaker out of this kid. If that’s what we did. It certainly looks like it.

Agree with the first bit. But Winners are motivated intrinsically…. If coaching took it away then he’s a loser anyway. I think it’s more than that. 

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Watching football games and hearing stats? 

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Agree with the first bit. But Winners are motivated intrinsically…. If coaching took it away then he’s a loser anyway. I think it’s more than that. 

Watching football games and hearing stats? 

Not watching enough lol

2021 playoffs ring a bell

I listen to the locked on Podcast and the All 22 Tape reveled that Josh Allen was just flat out bad. Missing throws, not recognizing coverage, or protections.

I think Josh Allen is great but I think there is enough proof out there to say Josh Allen is a front runner. He’s great when things are going well..but when the games are tight, he plays some of his worst football. If we are going to get over the hump, 17 has to be better.

Josh Allen set the standard for his elite level of play 3 years ago, now we all want to see that consistently, the sort of games he had against the 49ers, the Patriots, the Dolphins, etc. Correction, we don’t need to see that level of excellence every game, because quite frankly it’s impossible, but he hasn’t been playing nearly as well lately as he had in those aforementioned games. He is missing reads, he is missing throws, sometimes he doesn’t know where to go with the ball, all of those are true. Pointing out said truths doesn’t deserve an onslaught of excuse making or name calling from his most rabid supporters. Is Josh Allen the problem? No. But he is part of the problem. To say he isn’t is trolling. And yes, there are other aspects of the offense that aren’t working as well as they need to be, further contributing to the offensive funk.

Last thing I will say… When Mahomes has a stinker of a game but finds magic in the end to put his team in the lead, KC’s defense almost always seems to rise to the top and stop the opposing offense from getting the points they need to tie or win the game. The same can’t be said for Allen. When he has a stinker of a game, but finds the magic to put his team in the lead, the Buffalo defense seems to give up what the opposition needs more times than not. If the defense was a bit more clutch, Buffalo’s record in one score games would be much stronger and Allen would have more career wins and… dare I say it… at least one SB ring. 

14 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

It was announced on the broadcast. I was shocked when I heard it myself. It was either “never has had two consecutive turnover free games” or “has never gone more than two consecutive games without a turnover.” Can’t remember the language used.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Josh Allen set the standard for his elite level of play 3 years ago, now we all want to see that consistently, the sort of games he had against the 49ers, the Patriots, the Dolphins, etc. Correction, we don’t need to see that level of excellence every game, because quite frankly it’s impossible, but he hasn’t been playing nearly as well lately as he had in those aforementioned games. He is missing reads, he is missing throws, sometimes he doesn’t know where to go with the ball, all of those are true. Pointing out said truths doesn’t deserve an onslaught of excuse making or name calling from his most rabid supporters. Is Josh Allen the problem? No. But he is part of the problem. To say he isn’t is trolling. And yes, there are other aspects of the offense that aren’t working as well as they need to be, further contributing to the offensive funk.

Last thing I will say… When Mahomes has a stinker of a game but finds magic in the end to put his team in the lead, KC’s defense almost always seems to rise to the top and stop the opposing offense from getting the points they need to tie or win the game. The same can’t be said for Allen. When he has a stinker of a game, but finds the magic to put his team in the lead, the Buffalo defense seems to give up what the opposition needs more times than not. If the defense was a bit more clutch, Buffalo’s record in one score games would be much stronger and Allen would have more career wins and… dare I say it… at least one SB ring. 

It was announced on the broadcast. I was shocked when I heard it myself. It was either “never has had two consecutive turnover free games” or “has never gone more than two consecutive games without a turnover.” Can’t remember the language used.

Neither is true 

19 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

data you say? 

chain moving neglect:

reading defenses:

Lets see your film review.  Show your work and your analysis.  Otherwise you are talking garbage and just trying to sound like you know football when you don't.  Cover1 put out a few clips of Josh not making the throw.  They also put out some where Josh had no chance.  Nobody here cross posted those though did they.  Could it be because they (read:you) have an agenda?

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Neither is true 

If you can find three games in a row where Allen had zero turnovers, going all the way back to his rookie season, send it in to the CBS team that called the game this past weekend, because they’re the ones who made the claim. 

4 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

when the games are tight, he plays some of his worst football.

Really? He has played his best football at the end of games over the past 3 weeks, pulling a rabbit out of his hat to get us back into the game or take the lead at the end. His defense choked in crunch time against the Jags and Pats, and almost against the Giants too.

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Critique: I have been a fan for 30 years. Josh isn't playing well, we do need him, but we need him to play well. He is part of the problem right now. 

Board: You must be Joe Marino's little brother. Who do you suggest we trade Josh for? Go on. Who? Go on? Who? Go On GO ON CAP CAPS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

logic isn't a strong suit here.  If, then....If, then.  It's not either/or.  It's what's the fix?

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever

1 minute ago, JayBaller10 said:

If you can find three games in a row where Allen had zero turnovers, going all the way back to his rookie season, send it in to the CBS team that called the game this past weekend, because they’re the ones who made the claim. 

Like I said

End of 2021 jets  pats chiefs

And that's just off the top of my head lol

Come on bills fans smdh

6 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

They definitely didn’t say “regular season” so yes, those playoff games prove them incorrect. 

They didn’t , but I’ve heard the stat before elsewhere and it was regular season. Besides,  I believe NFL postseason stats are a completely separate deal when stats are brought up. 

12 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Josh Allen protection team is out in full force this evening. 

I mean I don't know what to tell you. Diggs didn't have his best game against the Patriots either. Could have caught this deep pass:

Could have caught the throw at the front corner of the endzone. Could have caught the final throw of the game to give us a shot.

But when I evaluate reasons for this loss, Diggs doesn't even come to mind. He is an elite player that missed a few plays he sometimes makes. That's exactly how I feel about Allen's game. A lot of this discussion is just displaced blame from people that think QB is worth like 80% of the team's success, and that's never been true.

If the defense had merely stopped the worst offense in the league when it counted at the end we'd be having an entirely different conversation today. We'd be concerned about the slow start, but also ecstatic that Allen turned it on when it mattered. I've seen that exact script play out with Mahomes and the Chiefs a dozen times. But instead the Patriots easily sliced through our blitz happy defense so now people want to retroactively place blame somewhere else.

It's not that complicated. When the numbers show you a clear narrative, believe them:

Edited by HappyDays

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

They didn’t , but I’ve heard the stat before elsewhere and it was regular season. Besides,  I believe NFL postseason stats are a completely separate deal when stats are brought up. 

Well, I was surprised when I heard it and didn’t know how it could be true. Didn’t bother to research to prove them wrong though, just thought “wow.” The broadcast team probably heard the stat somewhere else and forgot to include “regular season.” 😂 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

When you look at all 22 he is missing open guys all over and seems to be keying in on one guy in the route the entire time.  

The turnovers at the end of last year amd jets game were bad.  Like he didn't see the defenders.  

What are chances he's locking in on one guy because he isn't trusting what he's seeing now.   

Josh needs to be like Kirk Cousins tonight, spreading it around the field, even though Addison had a bulk of the receptions.

We don’t know what Josh is seeing but I again noticed on some replays that there were one or two guys open short that he ignores.

Just now, JayBaller10 said:

Well, I was surprised when I heard it and didn’t know how it could be true. Didn’t bother to research to prove them wrong though, just thought “wow.” The broadcast team probably heard the stat somewhere else and forgot to include “regular season.” 😂 

Maybe they did. Anyway, it’s interesting but I just think you’ll always get a certain amount of turnovers with Josh- it’s just the way he plays. Of course, you’re okay with them when he’s blowing teams out with crazy plays due to freakish athletic ability. When you take a lot of his unique skills out of his game they become a bigger deal. He’s fumbled quite a bit as well , especially in past seasons when he ran a lot more. 

1 minute ago, BobbyC81 said:

Josh needs to be like Kirk Cousins tonight, spreading it around the field, even though Addison had a bulk of the receptions.

We don’t know what Josh is seeing but I again noticed on some replays that there were one or two guys open short that he ignores.

I think Cousins sees the field better than Josh. I mean, he has to, he’s much more limited physically. He also has a knack for completing passes under heavy pressure. That game against him last year was frustrating, seemed like he was just throwing the ball to no one in particular to avoid sacks but it kept finding a purple jersey. Throw and duck, he did the same tonight against the 9ers. 

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Maybe they did. Anyway, it’s interesting but I just think you’ll always get a certain amount of turnovers with Josh- it’s just the way he plays. Of course, you’re okay with them when he’s blowing teams out with crazy plays due to freakish athletic ability. When you take a lot of his unique skills out of his game they become a bigger deal. He’s fumbled quite a bit as well , especially in past seasons when he ran a lot more. 

Yeah I can live with turnovers if they’re being offset by TDs on other drives. But when the offense is struggling to put points on the board for most of the game? Those turnovers are magnified. Hopefully for all of our sake Josh and co figure it out.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I mean I don't know what to tell you. Diggs didn't have his best game against the Patriots either. Could have caught this deep pass:

Could have caught the throw at the front corner of the endzone. Could have caught the final throw of the game to give us a shot.

But when I evaluate reasons for this loss, Diggs doesn't even come to mind. He is an elite player that missed a few plays he sometimes makes. That's exactly how I feel about Allen's game. A lot of this discussion is just displaced blame from people that think QB is worth like 80% of the team's success, and that's never been true.

If the defense had merely stopped the worst offense in the league when it counted at the end we'd be having an entirely different conversation today. We'd be concerned about the slow start, but also ecstatic that Allen turned it on when it mattered. I've seen that exact script play out with Mahomes and the Chiefs a dozen times. But instead the Patriots easily sliced through our blitz happy defense so now people want to retroactively place blame somewhere else. It's not that complicated. When the numbers show you a clear narrative, believe them:

I don't think Josh is the only reason we lost. I don't even think he is the primary reason we lost. We have had a DVOA on defense in the top 10 for years. EPA ranges in the bottom 20 on defense are not going to age well. Josh keeps missing the smack you in the face underneath reads. It doesn't help. Like Marino said (I actually listened to him for the first time today) he says I have to be honest, then he warns people like 7 times to not spew hate at him, "Josh is not playing well right now". Well sure he's not. Why is this so sensitive around here? The defense is playing worse. I don't know how anybody could give positive grades to our WR's or our scheme. None of it is particularly good.

The offensive stats are positive as far as EPA. Stunning actually. I think the lack of sustained drives just makes it look even worse.  Clearly, we are actually much closer to our usual performance than one would think. 

Edited by Mikie2times

10 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

When you look at all 22 he is missing open guys all over and seems to be keying in on one guy in the route the entire time.  

The turnovers at the end of last year amd jets game were bad.  Like he didn't see the defenders.  

What are chances he's locking in on one guy because he isn't trusting what he's seeing now.   

He is not THE problem. But I still don't think his decision making is where it needs to be and where it was a couple of years ago. It is one of the issues with the team right now. It just isn't among the top couple of things on the list. 

37 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

They definitely didn’t say “regular season” so yes, those playoff games prove them incorrect. 

It's not even accurate for the regular season

28 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

If the defense had merely stopped the worst offense in the league when it counted at the end we'd be having an entirely different conversation today. We'd be concerned about the slow start, but also ecstatic that Allen turned it on when it mattered. I've seen that exact script play out with Mahomes and the Chiefs a dozen times. But instead the Patriots easily sliced through our blitz happy defense so now people want to retroactively place blame somewhere else.

It's not that complicated. When the numbers show you a clear narrative, believe them:

Passes the eye test

11 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Which games disprove it? I’m not on Twitter, otherwise I’d try to tweet them out to the CBS broadcast team. Maybe someone else can…?

2019, Wash, Cleveland, Miami 

2021 Jets, Patriots, KC (Playoffs)

Those are the two times Josh has went 3 straight games without a turnover

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

2019, Wash, Cleveland, Miami 

2021 Jets, Patriots, KC (Playoffs)

Those are the two times Josh has went 3 straight games without a turnover

Ian Eagle and Charles Davis, can’t remember which one said it… maybe it was Davis, but who wants to tweet the games to them? Spreading false info to the masses is no bueno.

• Agree 1

The Patriots actually have a good defense. These are the points they have given up to the other team’s offense:

Eagles - 19

Dolphins 24

Jets - 10

Cowboys - 23

Saints - 27

Raiders -19

Bills - 25

Josh Allen led offense scored more than the Eagles, Dolphins, and Cowboys. And it really should have been the most points because Bass messed up an easy FG.

You know what the Pats don’t have…a good offense. Yet the Bills defense gives up 2 scores more than their best performance. People are placing the blame in the wrong direction here.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He is not THE problem. But I still don't think his decision making is where it needs to be and where it was a couple of years ago. It is one of the issues with the team right now. It just isn't among the top couple of things on the list. 

This.

People want there to be 1 problem going on, it's easier to fix 1 issue than it is multiple. The problems aren't so black/white. Is Josh having some bad plays? Course he is, just like any other player on the field. For me it's the equivilant of when fans are watching a 'shut down corner'. When they see that CB allow a completed pass or a couple, you get 'see he's not a shut down corner'. For some reason people/fans think elite = no mistakes ever.

So yes, Josh has some bad plays. He misses some reads. He is not THE reason the offense is not performing.

1 hour ago, DapperCam said:

The Patriots actually have a good defense. These are the points they have given up to the other team’s offense:

Eagles - 19

Dolphins 24

Jets - 10

Cowboys - 23

Saints - 27

Raiders -19

Bills - 25

Josh Allen led offense scored more than the Eagles, Dolphins, and Cowboys. And it really should have been the most points because Bass messed up an easy FG.

You know what the Pats don’t have…a good offense. Yet the Bills defense gives up 2 scores more than their best performance. People are placing the blame in the wrong direction here.

Also this,

And really Bass missed a FG and Murrays OPI, they would have had 10 more points. The defense absolutely crapped the bed. The offense was still slow to get going and when those are the scripted plays, I think that says a lot.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.