Devils advocate...what is Josh is the problem?

Hebert19

4 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

You’re right, most just don’t understand football at all and who is responsible for what, some form these visceral religious beliefs in some players that make them unflappable in their minds. 

it was similar with Doug Flutie who was a terrible QB but some fans upheld he could do no wrong no matter how stupid of a play he made. 

So Flutie is equal to Allen now?

So what do we do with Allen? If he's really not that good which is what you're arguing then you must want to move on from him right?  You know that they could get a minimum of 3 first round picks & 3 second round picks for Allen.  Probably more then 25 teams would make this trade in a heartbeat. Imagine what the brain trust could do with that much draft capital.

So put your money where your mouth is.  You trash Allen and those that support him so give us your vision going forward of a life with Allen on another team and the Bills swimming in draft picks.

5 minutes ago, balln said:

Allen is not seeing the field. Plain and simple. He’s looking deep when he should be looking short. He’s looking at diggs and diggs and diggs and knox when he should be looking at Kincaid and shakir. It’s maddening. 

and he’s just. Inaccurate. Sorry. Compared to Kirk , mahommes , tua , purdy, burrow, his balls even completions are always a little off

This is total garbage and doesn't reflect what we're seeing this year.  It's straight up trolling. 

• Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

It’s not about how the offense is called.  If Josh understands the defense, he’s awesome.  But he can be confused by a good scheme, and he really struggles to figure things out when he’s confused.  Daboll wasn’t some brilliant play caller.  What he excelled at was helping Josh understand what he was seeing.  

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Because he evaded blitzers and got us the lead ? 

He doesn’t need to be jittery and running around wild tho. Stand tall and fire w anticipation and accuracy at the top of his drop. Hit the HOT route. Only time he did it was diggs for td (I’m not even sure that was hot. Shakir wide open was)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billever76 said:

Why doesn't McDermott get any blame until just NOW? I mean I look at it the opposite...McDermott has reaped massive praise and credit that has almost all been dependent on josh allen and stefon Diggs.....we honestly have a middling average at best hc and staff with a superstar generational quarterback and wr

Obviously, you haven't read my posts starting last season. 

I've been advocating a coaching change for a long time. It was pretty clear in my eyes that McD had run it's course. I beat the drum over and over. I reiterated why I thought change was needed and a positive. My only regret was I over did it and rubbed many the wrong way. 

I'm not happy with the way the season is playing out. As Josh Allen said "it looks bleak." Folks, that's coming from the leader of the team. That has to speak volumes. 

I suspect if the Bills continue to lose (schedule is brutal) McD may lose the locker room. I'm wondering if it's slightly in progress now. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

this is exactly what I saw in a review of 18 plays from the game. All 22 makes it even worse. Lots of open guys missed or not even thrown to. 

Cover 1 is spot on. 

What's the context?  JA's protection broke down almost immediately on some plays.  The line play was the worst it's been this year.

Excuses, excuses - but it's hard to survey the field for the open guys when Barmore is in your face all day.

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

You’re right, most just don’t understand football at all and who is responsible for what, some form these visceral religious beliefs in some players that make them unflappable in their minds. 

it was similar with Doug Flutie who was a terrible QB but some fans upheld he could do no wrong no matter how stupid of a play he made. 

Don’t ever bother responding to this guy he’s basically an older version of Airseven 

• Like (+1) 1

He gets plenty of blame. It's just a lot harder to actually execute plays than it is to call them, especially when you have defenders in your face right after every snap.

He's also a perennial MVP candidate and Dorsey wouldn't make anyone's list of top coordinators in the league.

38 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

The last 7 drives yesterday where  

FG
Bass missed Field Goal

TD

Knox Drop on 4th down

TD 

TD

Josh Allen’s biggest problem is he can’t rush the passer and make Mac Freaking Jones look like Joe Montana 

False- the last drive was a fumble. 

We agree it’s a problem that Mac Jones is the one that looks like Joe Montana in that game. Very well put. They better get this thing back on the rails. 3 bad losses now, and a heroic defensive effort away from sub 500 record 

• Vomit 1

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

We agree it’s a problem that Mac Jones is the one that looks like Joe Montana in that game. Very well put. They better get this thing back on the rails. 3 bad losses now, and a heroic defensive effort away from sub 500 record 

Last drive was with 12 seconds left where he hit Diggs right in the hands from 50 yards and he dropped it the last play before but hey haters gonna hate 

Just now, Joe Ferguson forever said:

never, ever been a phins fan.  born and bred Bills fan.  where'd you get that.

Your tagline is Joe Ferguson who flat out sucked 

3 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

He's been awful for 3 games.  He's got it in him, he just isn't on his A game.  Or B game.  He has the yips.  Hopefully they're gone soon....

"Awful" is a stretch.

He made big plays when it counted in all 3 games.  He led what should have been a game-winning comeback yesterday.  He was all kinds of clutch yesterday in that 2nd half, and looked like classic JA evading a fierce pass rush.

And man, that throw to Diggs on the 2nd to last play. That would have made things pretty interesting if Diggs pulls it in.

2 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:
3 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Your tagline is Joe Ferguson who flat out sucked 

that constitutes a phins fan?  several years when we had season tix, he was the man.  he didn't suck.  mazing at LSU.   Bills sucked back then.

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever

Just now, Success said:

"Awful" is a stretch.

He made big plays when it counted in all 3 games.  He led what should have been a game-winning comeback yesterday.  He was all kinds of clutch yesterday in that 2nd half, and looked like classic JA evading a fierce pass rush.

And man, that throw to Diggs on the 2nd to last play. That would have made things pretty interesting if Diggs pulls it in.

Don’t bother those two are Allen haters you should see 29 in gameday threads usually disappears when they win 

Just now, Joe Ferguson forever said:

that constitutes a phins fan.  several years when we had season tix, he was the man.  he didn't suck.  mazing at LST.   Bills sucked back then.

He sucked 

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

So what do we do with Allen? If he's really not that good which is what you're arguing then you must want to move on from him right?  You know that they could get a minimum of 3 first round picks & 3 second round picks for Allen.  Probably more then 25 teams would make this trade in a heartbeat. Imagine what the brain trust could do with that much draft capital.

So put your money where your mouth is.  You trash Allen and those that support him so give us your vision going forward of a life with Allen on another team and the Bills swimming in draft picks.

This is total garbage and doesn't reflect what we're seeing this year.  It's straight up trolling. 

he is like Flutie in the context that people who have little grasp of the game of football or are too infatuated to admit his massive inconsistency religiously refute how instrumental he is in losing these games with his erratic decision making. 

these are the same people that blamed every long run ever on edmunds. Because they don’t understand what they are actually watching. 

• Vomit 2
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

What garbage.  You're throwing out the fumble on the last desperation play of the game. Again what should we do about what you consider our big problem with Allen?  Come on let us know what we should do.  Obviously anyone as negative as you have been about Allen must have a plan for what we should do.  So when do we put him on the trading block?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

10 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

He sucked 

Dude had a 17 year NFL career.  I'd like to suck as bad as he did...  played at Arkansas apparently.  but pretty sure he's a Louisiana guy.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FergJo00.htm

Do u have any idea how bad the late 70's early 80's Bills were?

6 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Of course and Joe Ferguson who you probably weren’t alive to watch yet 

I'm 63,  saw games in the rock pile.  F off u hoser.

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

he is like Flutie in the context that people who have little grasp of the game of football or are too infatuated to admit his massive inconsistency religiously refute how instrumental he is in losing these games with his erratic decision making. 

these are the same people that blamed every long run ever on edmunds. Because they don’t understand what they are actually watching. 

So what do we next given that you obviously consider yourself knowledgeable about the game of football.  Clearly in your opinion Allen is not very good.  This must mean you favor parting ways with him so how would you propose we should do it?

• Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Ok so you lied or forgot about the actual last drive? 

The one they wanted you to come in the game for? I kinda wrote off the game after Diggs dropped the ball. 

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

So what do we next given that you obviously consider yourself knowledgeable about the game of football.  Clearly in your opinion Allen is not very good.  This must mean you favor parting ways with him so how would you propose we should do it?

Cincy don’t bother he’s a troll he amuses me cause he only ever pops up after a loss to blame Allen for the coffee not being hot enough at the stadium. 

• Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I don't think it's total garbage. Allen is far from the problem. Many including myself may hold him to an unacceptable high standard. 

Allen has missed several reads that have been open. The Jets game was abysmal. He single handily gave that game away. 

The offense has been terrible for three straight games. That's not acceptable. We aren't talking a quarter or two. Allen is the leader of the offense. Without him, the team likely doesn't win many games. That's just reality. As he goes the team goes.

Its hard to really quantify the percentage of the offensive woes. Allen certainly has to burden some of it though. How much is debatable. 

My fan eyes see a different Allen this year. Almost like he's a bite distracted, not quite focused, and frustrated. His slow starts almost indicate he's not prepared or focused. Almost like he's pulling a "Michael Vick" if you will. 

The most obvious difference in Allen is his reluctance to run. That skill really set him apart from other QBs. His legs absolutely gives the Bills the best chance to win. He's effectively cut off at the knees by choice or by coaches. 

In short, Allen is the future of the Bills. He's the main reason for the recent success and playoff births. I think most will concede this as a given. Nevertheless, he deserves plenty of criticism this season. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

The one they wanted you to come in the game for? I kinda wrote off the game after Diggs dropped the ball. 

Cincy don’t bother he’s a troll he amuses me cause he only ever pops up after a loss to blame Allen for the coffee not being hot enough at the stadium. 

not gonna let this drop

Ferguson placed in the top 10 in pass attempts five times, completions and passing yards four times, passing touchdowns six times, and yards per pass three times. At one time he shared, with Ron Jaworski, the NFL record for consecutive starts by a quarterback with 107, until he was replaced by Joe Dufek on September 30, 1984. He has a 1–3 record in the NFL postseason, winning against the New York Jets in 1981. His three losses came from the Cincinnati Bengals in those same 1981 playoffs, the San Diego Chargers the year before in 1980 (a game in which he played the entire contest with a sprained ankle), and in 1974 to the Pittsburgh Steelers. He retired after the 1990 season after playing only one game with the Colts.

What have you accomplished that beats this?

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

What garbage.  You're throwing out the fumble on the last desperation play of the game. Again what should we do about what you consider our big problem with Allen?  Come on let us know what we should do.  Obviously anyone as negative as you have been about Allen must have a plan for what we should do.  So when do we put him on the trading block?

why is pointing out a fact so troubling? 

The post said last 7 drives and omitted the last drive. That’s false. 

I know homerism runs deep but your beef is with the drive chart. 

Allen is regressing…. Is clear as day. He either needs to start playing to win or maybe they should collect a franchise rebuild draft pick suite and let him play hero ball elsewhere a la Russ. He’s been out played by Zack Wilson, NFL Barbie, Tyrod Taylor and Mac Jones now this season. He’s bested Heineke, Tua and Gorropollo. 🤔 

personally I’d much rather he just move the chains when it’s wide open instead of extending plays scrambling, making the o line have to pass block 7 seconds and turning the ball over more than anyone else since he’s entered the league. 

• Vomit 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Allen is regressing…. Is clear as day. He either needs to start playing to win or maybe they should collect a franchise rebuild draft pick suite and let him play hero ball elsewhere a la Russ. He’s been out played by Zack Wilson, NFL Barbie, Tyrod Taylor and Mac Jones now this season. He’s bested Heineke, Tua and Gorropollo. 🤔 

personally I’d much rather he just move the chains when it’s wide open instead of extending plays scrambling, making the o line have to pass block 7 seconds and turning the ball over more than anyone else since he’s entered the league. 

he's still got all pro talent.  he's in a funk.  Why, I have no idea

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

not gonna let this drop

Ferguson placed in the top 10 in pass attempts five times, completions and passing yards four times, passing touchdowns six times, and yards per pass three times. At one time he shared, with Ron Jaworski, the NFL record for consecutive starts by a quarterback with 107, until he was replaced by Joe Dufek on September 30, 1984. He has a 1–3 record in the NFL postseason, winning against the New York Jets in 1981. His three losses came from the Cincinnati Bengals in those same 1981 playoffs, the San Diego Chargers the year before in 1980 (a game in which he played the entire contest with a sprained ankle), and in 1974 to the Pittsburgh Steelers. He retired after the 1990 season after playing only one game with the Colts.

What have you accomplished that beats this?

Joe Ferguson sucked period he was Staubach, Bradshaw, Andersen, Fouts, Marino, Elway, heck he wasn’t even Danny White and it’s obvious you ain’t 63 either 

• Disagree 1

20 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

He's been awful for 3 games.  He's got it in him, he just isn't on his A game.  Or B game.  He has the yips.  Hopefully they're gone soon....

I don't think he has the yips. I think he's under prepared and lacks focus early in games. 

I think he's lost confidence in the coaching and the play calling. I think he only trust Diggs and feels like everyone else isn't reliable. I think he's beginning to see and feel the pressure from the oline weaknesses. 

At the end of games, Allen seems very focused and confident. Has a swagger and makes plays and things happen. Sort of plays back yard football and takes things into his own hands. That's anything but the yips. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I don't think it's total garbage. Allen is far from the problem. Many including myself may hold him to an unacceptable high standard. 

Allen has missed several reads that have been open. The Jets game was abysmal. He single handily gave that game away. 

The offense has been terrible for three straight games. That's not acceptable. We aren't talking a quarter or two. Allen is the leader of the offense. Without him, the team likely doesn't win many games. That's just reality. As he goes the team goes.

Its hard to really quantify the percentage of the offensive woes. Allen certainly has to burden some of it though. How much is debatable. 

My fan eyes see a different Allen this year. Almost like he's a bite distracted, not quite focused, and frustrated. His slow starts almost indicate he's not prepared or focused. Almost like he's pulling a "Michael Vick" if you will. 

The most obvious difference in Allen is his reluctance to run. That skill really set him apart from other QBs. His legs absolutely gives the Bills the best chance to win. He's effectively cut off at the knees by choice or by coaches. 

In short, Allen is the future of the Bills. He's the main reason for the recent success and playoff births. I think most will concede this as a given. Nevertheless, he deserves plenty of criticism this season. 

I would call this take pretty fair.

I think that distracted thing is him thinking too much.  I do think he has been coached and reminded constantly to avoid running - they even talked about that a few times in the offseason.  So, his instinct is telling him one thing, and this sort of artificial reprogramming is giving him a conflicting message.

Just from what I see, it seems to have taken some of the joy of playing away for him. And that's one of his best characteristics when he's playing well - he's like a big kid.  I remember one time he ran last year and took a pretty hard tackle, and he got up just smiling.  It was great.  

I'm really hoping that they realize the "no running" experiment is failing, and get him back to playing his game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I don't think he has the yips. I think he's under prepared and lacks focus early in games. 

I think he's lost confidence in the coaching and the play calling. I think he only trust Diggs and feels like everyone else isn't reliable. I think he's beginning to see and feel the pressure from the oline weaknesses. 

At the end of games, Allen seems very focused and confident. Has a swagger and makes plays and things happen. Sort of plays back yard football and takes things into his own hands. That's anything but the yips. 

Sort of. End of games. It’s really the jax and pats game where they’re down 2 scores. The D they are playing is super soft. Let them catch and burn time. Both times bills haven’t won.

there is something in there tho to be gleaned I hope for Dorsey to use in the beginning of games

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

As you can tell 29 actually includes a throwback at the end of the game play as a drive and omits Allen’s 50 yard rope the play before that Diggs dropped. 

In other words 29 is Joe Marino  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

So answer the question of what should the Bills do with the albatross of Josh Allen hanging around their necks?  Given that most of the NFL would part ways with an enormous number of draft picks to acquire Allen shouldn't we put him on the trading block ASAP? After all if he continues to "suck" as you say his value will drop.

So tell us what you would do.  Real Bills fans have no problem proposing solutions to the teams problems.  We do it all the time on 2BD.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Success said:

Just from what I see, it seems to have taken some of the joy of playing away for him. And that's one of his best characteristics when he's playing well - he's like a big kid.  I remember one time he ran last year and took a pretty hard tackle, and he got up just smiling.  It was great.

He's a gladiator but lately the guys with the tridents (or various other inferior weapons) have been bettering him

2 minutes ago, Success said:

I would call this take pretty fair.

I think that distracted thing is him thinking too much.  I do think he has been coached and reminded constantly to avoid running - they even talked about that a few times in the offseason.  So, his instinct is telling him one thing, and this sort of artificial reprogramming is giving him a conflicting message.

I'm really hoping that they realize the "no running" experiment is failing, and get him back to playing his game.

and if his joy is in the fun play not the boring chain moving winning football  (He even called it ‘boring football’.) what do you do with that? 

4 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

So answer the question of what should the Bills do with the albatross of Josh Allen hanging around their necks?  Given that most of the NFL would part ways with an enormous number of draft picks to acquire Allen shouldn't we put him on the trading block ASAP? After all if he continues to "suck" as you say his value will drop.

So tell us what you would do.  Real Bills fans have no problem proposing solutions to the teams problems.  We do it all the time on 2BD.

don’t we me child, I’ve been here a decade longer than you. So you quoted me as saying “suck” please find that post for me so we can get started? 

• Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

See we need to goto the QB store and order another QB who will have nearly 200 touchdowns before his 28th birthday. Well there’s been so many drafted franchise QBs why look at the Bears with Justin Fields or Carolina with Bryce Young or the 49ers with Trey Lance etc…

• Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

See we need to goto the QB store and order another QB who will have nearly 200 touchdowns before his 28th birthday. Well there’s been so many drafted franchise QBs why look at the Bears with Justin Fields or Carolina with Bryce Young or the 49ers with Trey Lance etc…

I’d be more worried we are seeing Andrew Luck 2.0 here.  All I want is for him to stop being a turnover machine and actually read the defense and throw when he hits his drop, prioritize moving chains and situational football over flashy hero ball. 

Seems pretty reasonable to me 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

When you look at all 22 he is missing open guys all over and seems to be keying in on one guy in the route the entire time.  

The turnovers at the end of last year amd jets game were bad.  Like he didn't see the defenders.  

What are chances he's locking in on one guy because he isn't trusting what he's seeing now.   

He is missing open guys all over the place?  Really that is what your film study showed?

And how do the TO's at the end of LAST SEASON and the Jet's game impact what is happening now? Do you think that awful 3 INT game Allen had against NE in 2019 may have had an effect to?

Can you explain Allen's lack of trust in the first half but not the second half of the last three games?  Seems odd if that really is a thing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.