Trade deadline needs what are your priorities

Xwnyer

2 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

No one is trading for Miller or Knox with their contracts

Miller, of course nobody is trading for him. 

Knox.. I do think there would be a market.   He's a good player, and Tight Ends typically take time to develop.  He's a vet and is capable of more than what we're doing with him in this offense.  He's not elite, but he is good.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SCBills said:

Miller, of course nobody is trading for him. 

Knox.. I do think there would be a market.   He's a good player, and Tight Ends typically take time to develop.  He's a vet and is capable of more than what we're doing with him in this offense.  He's not elite, but he is good.  

Knox has Value and is a Tradable contract for a team assuming it, with no guaranteed left.

Miller has ZERO value right now, and his contract makes that worse

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

My take is that if you want more star offensive weapons than you can't have a QB taking up such a large % of your cap.  Even the Chiefs had to let Tyreek go.  The elite highly paid QB needs to elevate those around them.  You might be able to get a situation like that short term- the Bengals- but when you start having to pay everyone it doesn't work

That's a good point. 

And of course, by default, a Top 5 QB will elevate your team such that you're drafting lower in each round. 

Roster management does play a role in this. Again, the Von Miller contract. Drafting Boogie Basham when a DE was taken in Round 1. 

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Knox has Value and is a Tradable contract for a team assuming it, with no guaranteed left.

It makes so much sense to trade Dawson Knox for a piece that fits (or recoup a pick we send out, along with his future cap relief) and go back to 11 personnel... which means we obviously won't do it. 

Edited by SCBills

Just now, SCBills said:

It makes so much sense to trade Dawson Knox for a piece that fits and go back to 11 personnel... which means we obviously won't do it. 

Tell me a Coach Like Sean Peyton (who likes TEs and utilizes them in his offenses dating back to the Saints, would not like a Dawson Knox on that team with 3 years remaining on that contract).  He absolutely would and could lower any compensation needed for a Jeudy or a Surtain II

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I think Jerry Jones would be enticed by adding Miller to that D.  

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Tell me a Coach Like Sean Peyton (who likes TEs and utilizes them in his offenses dating back to the Saints, would not like a Dawson Knox on that team with 3 years remaining on that contract).  He absolutely would and could lower any compensation needed for a Jeudy or a Surtain II

Yup .. and the cap relief allows us much more flexibility moving forward.  

Maybe they hold out hope, but it seems quite obvious that Josh Allen performs better with 11 and Kincaid is clearly the better player as a rookie.   We take a step back with blocking, but it seems very much worth the risk. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

I think Jerry Jones would be enticed by adding Miller to that D.  

Well that is taking advantage of a Senile Old man.  But sure if you can find one of those types of GMs to give something for Von at this point.

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Well that is taking advantage of a Senile Old man.  But sure if you can find one of those types of GMs to give something for Von at this point.

I don't advocate taking advantage of a senile old man, no evidence that Jerry is senile.  He's always been nuts! 

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

They have been "able to get that in the draft" forever now.  And the ONLY one that is a consistent playmaker was the younger guy they traded for. 

That has nothing to do with anything. They have passed on 1st round WRs for whatever reason. We aren't talking about the 4th, 5th, 6th round WRs They have drafted. What team is gonna give up a quality young guy? Who would you expect to get that's 25 years old off the trade market? If we actually "use" a first round pick on a WR, we can get one which I think makes more sense. You can't say we'll "we got late rounders and it hasn't worked"

Edited by Buffalo03

Just now, Buffalo03 said:

That has nothing to do with anything. They have passed on 1st round WRs for whatever reason. We aren't talking about the 4th, 5th, 6th round WRs They have drafted. No team is gonna give up a quality young guy? Who would you expect to get that's 25 years old off the trade market? If we actually "use" a first round pick on a WR, we can get one which I think makes more sense. You can't say we'll "we got late rounders and it hasn't worked"

So Again WHY havent they?  They do not value that position.  That is the reality.  So yea again they "could" History shows they will not.

So do what worked for them.  Go find that young WR and trade for him.  

8 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

So Again WHY havent they?  They do not value that position.  That is the reality.  So yea again they "could" History shows they will not.

So do what worked for them.  Go find that young WR and trade for him.  

They have a hard on for defensive players in the draft. That's why. Let's not act like guys they "do not value" haven't worked out for other teams. There are plenty we have passed on. Diggs was also an all pro. You can't forget that. What WR would you trade for right now? It would have to be a legit guy. Getting a guy like Terrace Marshall from the Panthers isn't gonna make any bit of difference because he's "young"

Edited by Buffalo03

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Remember when you said we were good at WR2 like a week ago lmao.

Okay, two seasons.  This season is half over, and it's going to end poorly no matter what we do. So it's really just next season. Toss the dead weight and reset.

Banking on 35 year old Von Miller next year and Tre White post second catastrophic injury and old ass Micah and Poyer is foolish.  It's over. Half the defense needs to be turned over. Might as well do it now when they have value and we can potentially get some late round picks.

Same thing for Elam. Toss him overboard as well and get his money off the books.

Every dollar we get rid of this year counts less for next year.

That's actually not even close to how the cap works 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

They have a hard on for defensive players in the draft. That's why. Let's not act like guys they "do not value" haven't worked out for other times. There are plenty we have passed on. Diggs was also an all pro. You can't forget that. What WR would you trade for right now? It would have to be a legit guy. Getting a guy like Terrace Marshall from the Panthers isn't gonna make any bit of difference because he's "young"

Ok so in 2023 which WR should they have took?

2022 - Which One

2021 - Which one

2020 - Diggs (that young WR) 

2019 - passed on Marguise Brown and N'Keal Harry

So please tell me what one?

This team has more holes than it can reasonably fill in one trade deadline or even one offseason. So I go and fill the hole that can bring them closest to the Super Bowl. And that is a WR2 in my opinion. The Chiefs, Ravens, Bengals (if they start winning), and even the Jags are going to put up points in January no matter how good your defense is. In today's football you just have to outscore them and pressure their QB. Assuming Miller can even be average, you have a solid pass rush with him, Floyd, Groot and you just need to fill the big hole on offense across from Diggs. 

- Dream addition who could be available is probably Mike Evans. Veteran with a ring. Good size, willing blocker. Plays with a fiery personality. Actually think he is what Gabe Davis tries to be so maybe it makes Davis a little redundant as a #3 but oh well. Last year of his deal on a team that isn't quite a contender and probably won't want to pay him big money. Probably more expensive from an asset standpoint but it's not like you'll hand out a 1st or 2nd rounder for a soon to be 30 year old free agent

- Dream addition who isn't available but I'd call until they block my number and my backup number is Keenan Allen. Actually think he is everything this team needs and more. And he'd appreciate the ability to go after a ring. 

- I still like Jeudy's upside and route running. Style of play is a little more like Diggs but maybe he shines when he doesn't have to be the guy. Actually think he is going to be very affordable. But not sure he is actually that good. Maybe an upgrade but does he move the needle?

- Might as well jump back into the Hopkins sweepstakes for the 4th time. He's on the decline but he'll get open and I've read before that he is one of the best WR's in the league and adjusting his route when the pocket breaks down and the QB is scrambling. Sounds like the Bills.

- Outside of that, I don't think anyone significant is available or attainable for this team. 

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Yes it is.

If we trade Von now, it's a $6M hit now, $21M next season, 0 in 2025.

If we trade or cut Von next year as a post 6/1, his dead cap extends into 2025.

And you are absorbing the 6M THIS year How again?

30 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Question to that, how do we accelerate those guarantees to this year AND add another salary?

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

None...open up the offense by allowing Allen to play his game and stop trying to make him Justin Herbert.

This, 100%. He's a kid in his prime. Let's live and die by the sword. If he gets hurt, so be it. What we have seen lately just isn't it. 

Edited by cDAVIS

Just now, DCofNC said:

Question to that, how do we accelerate those guarantees to this year AND add another salary?

4,150,000 is the Dead on a Knox Trade in season.

Dawkins converts his base to bonus saves roughly 6M this year.  

Jeudy holding a 2.6M prorated, so roughly 1.6M coming back.  

See fits 

Gabe Davis in a trade is more clean because you would not need to restructure Dawkins 

33 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Ok so in 2023 which WR should they have took?

2022 - Which One

2021 - Which one

2020 - Diggs (that young WR) 

2019 - passed on Marguise Brown and N'Keal Harry

So please tell me what one?

We could have moved up a couple spots for Zay Flowers who has been productive. Amon Ra St. Brown, George Pickens (being held back by Kenny Pickett) and I don't think would be available. Christian Watson (who was productive last season under Rodgers). 2020 was the year they traded for Diggs but they may have had a shot at Justin Jefferson since he went right around the area that we drafted at. Those are just to name a few. Any noteworthy young WR is gonna cost too much money to bring in here. We don't have the cap space for it. Jerry Jeudy? Maybe but how good is he really? It's hard to tell. I say we draft ate own and if we have to move up a bit to grab one then we should. 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

We could have moved up a couple spots for Zay Flowers who has been productive. Amon Ra St. Brown, George Pickens (being held back by Kenny Pickett) and I don't think would be available. Christian Watson (who was productive last season under Rodgers). 2020 was the year they traded for Diggs but they may have had a shot at Justin Jefferson since he went right around the area that we drafted at. Those are just to name a few. Any noteworthy young WR is gonna cost too much money to bring in here. We don't have the cap space for it. Jerry Jeudy? Maybe but how good is he really? It's hard to tell. I say we draft ate own and if we have to move up a bit to grab one then we should. 

A - Need to stop moving up, and need to start moving down.  The teams only getting older moving forward, and you need more draft "lottery tickets".  We have extra picks this year in 3 and 6.  

B - Lot of hindsight here.  St. Brown ran a 4.6, which this board would have lost their minds on if we had drafted.  Pickens had off-field issues.  Diggs was essentially traded straight up for Jefferson - but hindsight is.. we didn't know he'd be on the board at the time we traded. 

C - Trading in season is always tough and i tend to veer towards a vet.  But is that vet going to be better than Shakir/Sherfield/Harty?  Are they even the issue or is it the plays, or allen holding the ball?

19 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

ok so a guy that wasnt available and then More Non First round WRs.  So again your issue is lets draft for WRs but in the first, and my argument even thought they dont is to draft WRs valued in other rounds much higher because well I need something to support my argument????

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

ok so a guy that wasnt available and then More Non First round WRs.  So again your issue is lets draft for WRs but in the first, and my argument even thought they dont is to draft WRs valued in other rounds much higher because well I need something to support my argument????

Part of the reason why I am a bit meh on trading for players at the deadline. Use you picks and players to move around the draft to go grab an eventual diggs replacement in RD 1. I pinch my nose as I say this, but if we aren't great this year, so be it and use this draft to get that WR (provided this class actually has someone). 

We can always make cap room, but I'm looking for younger playmaker. This year the QB run will help push talent down the board. An off year for us, well...

I don't like it, but looking at how we are trending...it's in the back of my mind

6 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Part of the reason why I am a bit meh on trading for players at the deadline. Use you picks and players to move around the draft to go grab an eventual diggs replacement in RD 1. I pinch my nose as I say this, but if we aren't great this year, so be it and use this draft to get that WR (provided this class actually has someone). 

We can always make cap room, but I'm looking for younger playmaker. This year the QB run will help push talent down the board. An off year for us, well...

I don't like it, but looking at how we are trending...it's in the back of my mind

I would love to have a top 3 pick (wont happen to get Marvin Harrison Jr).  

So now I am comparing say the chances of one of these (my early first round grades) to be where Bills pick. 

Malik Nabers 6'0 200 top 15 grade - 4.4 40

Emeka Egbuka 6'1 205 top 15 grade - 4.3 40

Keon Coleman 6'4 215 top 15 grade - 4.4 40

Rome Odunze 6'3 211 top 25 grade - 4.4 40

Early it looks like the class is pretty solid even once you go past Harrison Jr.

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

A - Need to stop moving up, and need to start moving down.  The teams only getting older moving forward, and you need more draft "lottery tickets".  We have extra picks this year in 3 and 6.  

B - Lot of hindsight here.  St. Brown ran a 4.6, which this board would have lost their minds on if we had drafted.  Pickens had off-field issues.  Diggs was essentially traded straight up for Jefferson - but hindsight is.. we didn't know he'd be on the board at the time we traded. 

C - Trading in season is always tough and i tend to veer towards a vet.  But is that vet going to be better than Shakir/Sherfield/Harty?  Are they even the issue or is it the plays, or allen holding the ball?

The vet is fine. I'm not against the young vet. But how many are actually available? And how many are actually worth trading for? You don't trade for a young vet just to do it. It has to be a guy that's worth it and what kind of contract is that guy in right now? Odds are, if he is worth trading for, he's not gonna fit under the cap. Or he will be too expensive. A guy like DJ Moore would have been a perfect example for this. But he was too expensive. So, who do we get? Maybe we can get a Hunter Renfrow from the Raiders? Is he the game breaker we need opposite Diggs and can take over for him? I doubt it. He's a nice slot guy but that's it

46 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

A guy that wasn't available? Justin Jefferson went 22 overall in the draft that year. Guess who gave that pick to the Vikings? He would have been right there for the taking. Ee ended up with Diggs and it worked out but you're trying to jump the gun and say he wasn't avaliable to support an argument when he would have been had we had that pick lol. The other guys I mentioned were the next guys off the board when we picked and have been productive. Late first, early to mid second isn't that much of a drop off. So, yes my argument is valid

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

A guy that wasn't available? Justin Jefferson went 22 overall in the draft that year. Guess who gave that pick to the Vikings? He would have been right there for the taking. Ee ended up with Diggs and it worked out but you're trying to jump the gun and say he wasn't avaliable to support an argument when he would have been had we had that pick lol. The other guys I mentioned were the next guys off the board when we picked and have been productive. Late first, early to mid second isn't that much of a drop off. So, yes my argument is valid

AFTER TRADING FOR DIGGS 

so what you wanted to do is what Not trade for Diggs? That is the stance now we should not have traded for Diggs. 

you are confusing at this point. 

heck with it yeah don’t trade for anything. Just draft ANY WR in round 1. Who cares if he has a 3rd round grade 

Edited by MAJBobby

15 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

AFTER TRADING FOR DIGGS 

so what you wanted to do is what Not trade for Diggs? That is the stance now we should not have traded for Diggs. 

you are confusing at this point. 

heck with it yeah don’t trade for anything. Just draft ANY WR in round 1. Who cares if he has a 3rd round grade 

Not saying to take one with a round 3 grade in round 1. I'm not saying we were wrong for trading for Diggs. What I am saying is that had we kept that pick, Jefferson would have been there. That was our pick we gave to them for Diggs. I'm also saying if there is a guy ranked between let's say the 33rd to 40th in the draft and we pick 27th. Is it really that bad to take the guy? Or a reach? I'm not saying to take a guy at 20 something overall that that's the 70th best player in the draft. Who would you trade for right now that has "proven" they are worth it that could be a potential Diggs replacement when he leaves? And can we afford the player? This isn't even just about grabbing a guy in the first round. The first 2 rounds works to. A lot of those guys are 2nd round picks. Michael Pittman is a guy I'd be interested in. He was a 2nd round WR. Would he be available? Is he the type of player that would work for you?

Go inquire but actually try to get! As in go all in and not say we tried but KC or philly had a better offer ... On an actual difference maker

Call Suh's agent DT 

Call Denver on Jeudy WR

Call Denver on Surtain CB

Call Oakland on they're WR

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.