Why I’m changing my mind on some things

oldmanfan

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don’t think Allen is disinterested, I think he’s lost confidence.  We saw him jittery in preseason.

He’s lost confidence because he has no help. No coach. 

This ship went south when Daboll left. That’s a stone cold fact.

We HAVE to fire McDermott. Have to.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-coaches-and-qbs-should-divorce-after-five-years-of-not-winning/

No coach/qb combo in NFL history won their 1st Super Bowl together after year 5 together, is the actual stat.  The article is a few years old but the stat still continues till now.

Ty. Pretty sure was the same article 

8 minutes ago, McBean said:

He’s lost confidence because he has no help. No coach. 

This ship went south when Daboll left. That’s a stone cold fact.

We HAVE to fire McDermott. Have to.

Well certainly no part of it whatsoever could ever be allowed to imply Josh have part of the responsibility.  It’s all other people’s fault.  If we only had Sean Payton or something.

I mean seriously dude the first play from scrimmage he threw a ridiculously stupid pick that had us playing from behind the entire game……for the third game in a row.  Until 17 pulls his head out, it’s really hard to evaluate anyone else.

2 hours ago, mrags said:

So I’d imagine that McD sucked that part of life from him and Josh thinks he’s doing it the right way because his lame coach guided him that way. 

we need a QB that basically defies the coaches at this point. Just go rogue and do whatever he wants. 

Definitely.  It couldn’t possibly be on him.  

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

Gotta wait and see how things play out. It's a long season.

It's already been 7 games and in 4 of them the product on the field has not been good enough. And that was the easier part of our schedule we just got through. Still to come: Eagles, Chiefs, Dolphins again, Jets again, Cowboys, Bengals.

What reasons are there to be optimistic right now that we are even going to make the playoffs? We've already lost tiebreakers to 2 other teams we'll be competing with for a wildcard spot.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It's already been 7 games and in 4 of them the product on the field has not been good enough. And that was the easier part of our schedule we just got through. Still to come: Eagles, Chiefs, Dolphins again, Jets again, Cowboys, Bengals.

What reasons are there to be optimistic right now that we are even going to make the playoffs? We've already lost tiebreakers to 2 other teams we'll be competing with for a wildcard spot.

The pessimism is understandable but are we really competing with Jax for a WC spot?  On what planet are they not going to win that division?

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don’t think Allen is disinterested, I think he’s lost confidence.  We saw him jittery in preseason.

His head does not seem to be in the game at all......maybe before he started dating Hollywood actresses he should have won a Super Bowl first.

At least Kelce has two Championships in his back pocket before dating Taylor Swift. Brady won Super Bowls before getting involved with Giselle.....just sayin’.

Win a Super Bowl, then you can date whoever the hell you want. Josh didn’t play with this attitude until Miss Hollywood entered the picture.

I said it early this year, I don’t think Josh is locked in. Not that he’s a “life after football, get a Hollywood GF” kinda guy. His moxie has always been this natural sorta frat boy aura. Josh Allen’s entire personality is the guy who gets drunk and talks about how he’s the best athlete on the planet. 

Which is fine. There’s a lot of that. 

Dorsey needs improving/replacement. Go ahead and fire McD too. 

But for me, when I saw Diggs jump off sides out of nowhere, where even he wasn’t locked in, I thought “this is more than a coaching issues. The leaders aren’t present”

Maybe a coaching change helps. Maybe it doesn’t. But long term these guys in the locker room need to get their head right or the whole thing will fall apart no matter who is at the helm. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Andrew luck 2.0. Writing is in the wall 

he doesn’t want the maniac prep or boring chain moving championship qb play it takes. 

Its dorsey and McDermott but ok..their was a huge rift in this team end of the 2021 season and it almost felt like the offense was loyal to daboll while the defense was all McDermott...McDermott is the main problem and the Buffalo native Daboll should have been the hc and McDermott should have been given his walking papers...over this defensive hc pouring everything into his defense baby only to watch it throw up all over itself multiple times a season especially in the playoffs

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I said all day this team looked strange,  I personally think it's something internally

The D was unrecognizable and the O has no identity or rhythm anymore. 

This is as bad I felt about a L in a while, I'm also very optimistic and I'm also losing hope. Especially after last week where the O looked the same.  It's concerning but I still have faith they can turn it around.  

5 hours ago, Special K said:

His head does not seem to be in the game at all......maybe before he started dating Hollywood actresses he should have won a Super Bowl first.

At least Kelce has two Championships in his back pocket before dating Taylor Swift. Brady won Super Bowls before getting involved with Giselle.....just sayin’.

Win a Super Bowl, then you can date whoever the hell you want. Josh didn’t play with this attitude until Miss Hollywood entered the picture.

No one should be able to dictate to anyone else who they date, or use it to sneer at someone who has done so much for the Bills. And Josh played like this with Britney as well - remember the Jags and Colts in 2021, for example? Indeed, against both the Giants and Pats, Josh and the offense clicked into gear in the fourth quarter which raises questions what was the issue before? Did he break up with Haille after the third quarter of both games? Or perhaps there’s an issue within Orchard Park which needs sorting out.

9 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

If Josh isn’t going to use his legs then he just isn’t the Superman we knew him as. The dual threat is what made him great. We on purpose took 1 of those things away. Just couldn’t be dumber

I think coaches went full binary regarding Allen rushes/scrambles

from "do what you feel" to "never do that again"

going full binary in anything is always a recipe for a disaster

I just get the feeling we just witnessed the beginning of the end of the McDermott era yesterday.  He certainly gets credit for his work and effort in turning around the franchise but he's taken them as far as he can.  I look at the schedule and can't bring myself to believe they're getting to 10 or 11 wins playing like they are the past 3 weeks.  Blame injuries but all teams have them.  Game and time management are just bad and expecting improvement at this point is a fantasy.  Whatever Sean and his staff are selling to the players they just don't look like they're buying into it anymore.  Past failures might have them thinking its going end more or less the same.  I think they're right.  I'll throw in Dorsey for good measure.  He's just not up to the task.  But the players don't seem up to it either.   

All is not lost.  Although they're going to have some cap issues we still have a franchise QB and a core of sold players.  But its time for a fresh message and new leadership on the sidelines.  The good thing is this looks like a one season reload than a multi-year rebuild effort. 

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

In general I am more the optimistic type and don’t buy into the weekly nonsense doom and gloom that permeates the board.  But after today I am starting to change my mind on a few things:

1.  Dorsey isn’t effective in his role.  I thought he was after the Fish game, but it is clear opposing defenses have figured some things out and he does not have answers.  My daughter knows more about football than most, and she said after the game that the league is dominated by innovation on offense, and we’re not getting that.  We have him, Shula, Brady all available and we can’t get anything going?

2.  Josh is loved by all, but something is going on with him.  And it is not just him not running as much.  Whether it is football or non-football related I don’t know.  But I said to my wife today that he almost seemed disinterested during the game.  And I was shocked to think that.  The QB is a de facto team leader, and especially when a captain.  I pooh poohed  those the last few weeks saying he should not just sit by himself on the bench, but today I was struck by his attitude.   Wasn’t doing anything to get the team going.  Sadly, if I was asked right now whether Josh reminds me more of Kelly or Fergy, personality wise it would be Fergy.  And I’m not sure that personality in a QB can win a championship regardless if physical talent.  He needs to look inside himself and figure out his issues.

3.  I have said many times that McD will not get fired.  But after today I have to begin wondering if he has taken this team as far as he can take them.  It is utterly inexcusable for a defense to give up a TD that last series against Mac Jones.  Even a FG would have been inexcusable.  When you absolutely have to get a stop to win, and the first play in the drive you give up 30+ yards is absurd, even given the personnel losses.  As HC and DC, you have to have ways to stop them, and you have to be able to motivate the team to step up.  Neither happened.  Larry Bird used to say you need to change coaches every 5 years because players have heard everything you can say by then.  Is McD at that point?  I’m not sure.

i sat at the Rockpile as a 4 year old at opening day 1960.  God knows I’ve seen a lot of bad days in 63 years.  But today was sad to me because the team just seemed lifeless, clueless, and without any passion.  Again, I  am a glass half-full type but today’s game was just sad.  Sad, sad, sad.    I think it is the harbinger of a missed playoff year this year.  This kind of loss can either gut a team or spur a team to wake up.  I don’t see any evidence they want to wake up.  Sometimes you have to take a step back to take two steps forward.  This season seems like it will be the step back.

Josh looked disinterested? The reaction to losses is laughable on this forum. What I saw was a bad throw that after the Patriots took the opening kick and easily drove methodically to an opening FG, put us in a hole with a passive defense allowing a TD. This guy takes damaging self inflicted wounds to heart and being human, looked deflated by it. He came back and led a nice drive that stalled for a FG. His play in the 4th quarter was heroic and after our gutless, amateurish defense allowed time consuming drives to a team that’s averaging 12 points a game, he lead two precision drives that should have been enough. After the go ahead TD, he went up and down the bench pumping up the defense. What are you professional sports psychologists reading into with this guy. This is a below average defensive roster after the injuries,that is not dominant any more. Without Josh, you’re looking at the same slop we trotted out for 2 decades and now after a couple of losses you’re convinced he’s changed. Leading the league in completion percentage, throwing for top 5 in TDs and overcoming an OC that is so pathetically predictable that is solely responsible for the slow starts. That game should have been a W and we should be asking Sean why we allowed a 3rd string TE to have a couple of 40 yd gains when 3 guys missed tackles and our defense seemed a step slow and confused.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Josh looked disinterested? The reaction to losses is laughable on this forum. What I saw was a bad throw that after the Patriots took the opening kick and easily drove methodically to an opening FG, put us in a hole with a passive defense allowing a TD. This guy takes damaging self inflicted wounds to heart and being human, looked deflated by it. He came back and led a nice drive that stalled for a FG. His play in the 4th quarter was heroic and after our gutless, amateurish defense allowed time consuming drives to a team that’s averaging 12 points a game, he lead two precision drives that should have been enough. After the go ahead TD, he went up and down the bench pumping up the defense. What are you professional sports psychologists reading into with this guy. This is a below average defensive roster after the injuries,that is not dominant any more. Without Josh, you’re looking at the same slop we trotted out for 2 decades and now after a couple of losses you’re convinced he’s changed. Leading the league in completion percentage, throwing for top 5 in TDs and overcoming an OC that is so pathetically predictable that is solely responsible for the slow starts. That game should have been a W and we should be asking Sean why we allowed a 3rd string TE to have a couple of 40 yd gains when 3 guys missed tackles and our defense seemed a step slow and confused.

Disinterested? Confused?  Lethargic? Deflated?  Pick a word. But in the losses this year, and in the narrow win last week, can anyone really deny that Allen is not the same Allen we’re used to seeing?  We have done nothing in the first half of those games, and Josh just comes to the sidelines and sits there.  It’s great he had the 2 TDs in the 4th quarter yesterday and that he then got pumped up.  But it’s a 60 minute game.

Yes the defense stunk yesterday.  Yes Dorsey is getting outcoached.  But also yes, our star QB is not the guy we’ve come to know.  All these need to get fixed.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I hate these takes. It’s NOT a long season. It’s even shorter when you consider that these performances can take you out of contention within another month. We’re already almost halfway through the regular season. 

I agree, but also there's no reason to do anything right now.  For better or for worse, we are stuck with this coaching staff until our season ends one way or the other.  We might as well sit tight and see how the remaining 10 games go.  If we go 10-0 from here and make a deep playoff run, nobody will remember the last three weeks.  Not that I expect that to happen, of course -- just saying.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.