Ty Johnson, Buffalo Bills RB elevated to active roster

Sierra Foothills

Accompanying the news that Damien Harris has been placed on IR is the news that Ty Johnson has been elevated to the active roster.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/3915411/ty-johnson

Johnson is a 5'10" 210 pound running back who was selected in the 6th round of the 2019 draft by the Detroit Lions. He played his college ball at Maryland. In his NFL career he's averaged 4.4 yards per carry and has 86 receptions (7.8 ypr).

He looks like he's a no-nonsense back much like the man he's replacing (click "Watch on You Tube")

He wasn't invited to the combine but apparently had a great workout at his Pro Day:

"At his pro day, Johnson turned heads with a 4.40 in the 40-yard dash, although it was reportedly clocked at 4.26 by one source. He also posted a 34.5-inch vertical and a 123-inch broad jump. He also posted 27 bench press reps which would have placed him second if he’d been at the combine."

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2020/10/6/21500443/scouting-jets-running-back-ty-johnson

• Like (+1) 6

15 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Personally, I'd rather see Ty Johnson than Cook. This is my personal opinion. I've watched Johnson since college. He's shifty, got good hands and nice contact balance. I hope he gets some opportunity to tote the rock Sunday

I feel confident Johnson will get some touches.

Damien Harris had 25 touches in less than 6 games and I don't think the Bills will be shy about giving touches to a 5 year vet with almost 300 touches in his career, and a very nice yards per carry and yards per reception.

Like you said, he's a contact runner with good speed and good hands.

I won't be surprised if Johnson flashes very well. His video with the Jets is above average and they were never a good offense when he was there.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Returned KOs for Jets too so can replace Harris there too.

55 minutes ago, without a drought said:

He has 14 career kickoff returns with a 17 yard average, his longest is 26 yards.

He can probably fair catch a few.

In college over 4 years Johnson averaged 24.9 yards on 48 kick returns and 12.3 yards on 4 punt returns.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/ty-johnson-1.html#all_kick_ret

This great player went to high school at MY local high school, Fort Hill High School in extreme Western Maryland. He's a celebrity in this small town of Cumberland. When the Bills signed him, multiple strangers made comments to me the next time I went out. I can throw rocks at his family home (and almost did when they were flying a Jets flag for years, haha!).

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The guy flashed a little when he got in pre season. I think he might be pretty decent just never really got a chance. Almost no chance he gets one here but I never thought I’d see the day where Murray was getting early carries for us…so you never know. This coach has always been super weird when it comes to RB usage. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Damien Harris had 25 touches in less than 6 games and I don't think the Bills will be shy about giving touches to a 5 year vet with almost 300 touches in his career, and a very nice yards per carry and yards per reception.

I won't be surprised if Johnson flashes very well. His video with the Jets is above average and they were never a good offense when he was there.

Id agree, he is the Harris substitution.  Cook will continue to get snaps, but I’d rather see him more to the outside.  Murray and Johnson need to be taking the between the tackles runs, and it’s important to be careful not to overuse Murray.  They guy’s 33 and we need him for the season.  The whole season.

The good news is Johnson is young and fresh legs.  If he has the skills some of you have mentioned, a welcome addition.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Personally, I'd rather see Ty Johnson than Cook. This is my personal opinion. I've watched Johnson since college. He's shifty, got good hands and nice contact balance. I hope he gets some opportunity to tote the rock Sunday

He’s a capable back for sure.  Cook >>. Johnson 

12 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Me too...Bills like putting different guys in from series to series. I'm sure they'll want to see what they have in him.

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/20/2023 at 8:07 PM, Solomon Grundy said:

A lot of people want cook to fail it seems doesn’t matter whether or not, he’s actually playing well

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Simon said:

Anybody know how reliable he is in pass pro or as a blocker?

Cook is 45 of 48 RB's with a pass block grade of 16.5, However McCaffrey isn't much better at 23.2.  Achane - the top rated running back has zero pass block snaps.  Murray is the Bill's top ranked RB so far with solid grades in every phase of the game.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.