Q for guys who have played: Defensive players thudding each other, why?

Beck Water

So in the mic'd up segment with Poyer, we can see him with another DB (Lewis I think) thudding into him pre-game, then Bernard and Poyer run into each other, both before the first defensive series and before the 2nd half.

You guys who have played: Why?  What does this do for ya?

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

So in the mic'd up segment with Poyer, we can see him with another DB (Lewis I think) thudding into him pre-game, then Bernard and Poyer run into each other, both before the first defensive series and before the 2nd half.

Psyched up .. ready for some contact... You feel another person 

It's not natural what football players do

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm not sure it gets the adrenaline up; I'd guess it's more because the adrenaline is already up and you just gotta hit something.

Different guys deal with it different ways.

I've seen guys cry, puke, smoke ganja, destroy furniture, meditate, whatever...

Although I have no explanation for John Henderson:lol: 

• Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

gets your adrenaline up and your head in the game to be ready to thud someone that's not your friend.

My go to when I played multiple sports was head butting.  My mom always said I have a concrete head, and rhino Hyde.  They were probably right, or just a little touched. In wrestling, that was a real head but with a teammate.  You have to be a little nuts to wrestle at a high level, or just enjoy pain.  No great sound than you’re referee slapping that hand on a mat pinning you’re opponent.

6 minutes ago, Simon said:

I'm not sure it gets the adrenaline up; I'd guess it's more because the adrenaline is already up and you just gotta hit something.

Although I have no explanation for John Henderson:lol: 

Never liked sports where I can’t hit someone or pin them.  I was good at baseball, and soccer, but give me football and wrestling any day of the week.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

It’s not a natural human response to want to throw yourself into another human being. You don’t want your first taste of it to be in live action. It just mentally and physically prepares yourself for the dog fight you’re about to be in. Plus it’s one more opportunity to work technique.

Edited by HoofHearted
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

this will explain it 

I feel like I’m in high school again.  My earlier comment about head butting was always more intense when the team won and we of course blew weight that night drinking Genny Lights and bloodying each others foreheads.  I hit a guy (HB) so hard he had shivers down to the base of his spine.  after a 12 pack or course each.

Then it was out the next morning for a 6 mile run on a Sunday in the snow in a rubber suit.  God we were such idiots.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

It’s not a natural human response to want to throw yourself into another human being. You don’t want your first taste of it to be in live action. It just mentally and physically prepares yourself for the dog fight you’re about to be in. Plus it’s one more opportunity to work technique.

Im not sure about your first sentence. 

In my experience, there is an exhilaration that comes with colliding with another player, and coming out on top. I sorta think that this is a pretty normal response.

Ask anyone who has played competitive organized football at a high school or beyond level.

Or maybe I’m a psycho. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

Hmm, I'm not sure I agree about it not being a natural human response. Part of the fight or flight response is fight, and it can literally mean throwing yourself violently at another human. I've experienced it and it is like instinct takes over and you lose control for a moment.

And the way a lot of boys play when they are younger shows that violent physical contact is very ingrained in many. That's why boys come up with so many dangerous games all the time. Adrenaline and physical confrontation is an inherent desire of many young men. Not all, for sure, but many.

Football is kind of the perfect sport to actualize many of those deep desires for physical confrontation and manifest them in a semi-productive manner.

28 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

In my experience, there is an exhilaration that comes with colliding with another player, and coming out on top. I sorta think that this is a pretty normal response.

Ask anyone who has played competitive organized football at a high school or beyond level.

Or maybe I’m a psycho. 

You aren't a psycho. It is very normal.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

When I played I was used in blocking drills by coach and I was good at knocking people down.  Big feet and wide shoulders I guess.  Before I was pulled for medical leave before a game some linemen would want me to do it with this for they would make sure they were ready to absorb hit.

7 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Or maybe I’m a psycho. 

Of course there is. It’s an adrenaline pump. I’m not saying there isn’t, but that doesn’t mean it’s a natural human response. Think about youth football - kids first experience playing the game. When they initially learn to tackle their natural reaction is to tense up before contact. As you grow older this gets trained out of you but it still doesn’t make the action a natural one.

@MJS

Edited by HoofHearted
  • Disagree 1

12 hours ago, Beck Water said:

You are getting ready to go to war

I tried paintball for the first time a few years ago. My buddy and I have never played before. Before we started we both shot each other so we could get the first one out of the way, and to get an idea of what we were in store for. 

Not sure if that answers anything, what was the question again..? 

I used to love getting hit/tackled as long as it was a good form tackle and you don't land awkward.

You appreciate the guy hitting you the right way. I think that's why sometimes guys get up and say, "Nice hit, man."

They appreciate a good form tackle. And no matter how forceful, it really doesn't hurt - kinda feels good in a weird way.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

In my experience, there is an exhilaration that comes with colliding with another player, and coming out on top.

I'd even extend that to say that's it's also fun to get knocked on your own ass occasionally. :thumbsup:

16 hours ago, Beck Water said:

It’s like a high impact hug. You’ll feel pretty good after. 

This is my hug technique recommendation.

This discussion reminds me of a really stupid high school days story -

My group of friends in grades 10-12 used to have this thing we called a "Clinkscale" which was a flattening freight train of a tackle from out of nowhere. It was named from one of the great Cowboy players Dexter Clinkscale, a hitting machine safety who played in the 80's. The 'agreement' was that while any of our friends were walking about outside somewhere (preferably on grass), any of the other friends could sneak up on the group and as long as they yelled out "Clinkscale!" at the top of their lungs ahead of time and blindside truck one of the other friends! Surprisingly, there were no major injuries from this, and it made us walk around with our heads on a swivel!

Ah, the dumb years, they were fun :)

Edited by 34-78-83
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 34-78-83 said:

My group of friends in grades 10-12 used to have this thing we called a "Clinkscale" which was a flattening freight train of a tackle from out of nowhere. It was named from one of the great Cowboy players Dexter Clinkscale, a hitting machine safety who played in the 80's. The 'agreement' was that while any of our friends were walking about outside somewhere (preferably on grass), any of the other friends could sneak up on the group and as long as they yelled out "Clinkscale!" at the top of their lungs ahead of time and blindside truck one of the other friends! Surprisingly, there were no major injuries from this, and it made us walk around with our heads in a swivel!

Ha. If I heard Clinkscale I would immediately get down on all fours and watch you go flying instead. Ha

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

My group of friends in grades 10-12 used to have this thing we called a "Clinkscale" which was a flattening freight train of a tackle from out of nowhere. It was named from one of the great Cowboy players Dexter Clinkscale, a hitting machine safety who played in the 80's. The 'agreement' was that while any of our friends were walking about outside somewhere (preferably on grass), any of the other friends could sneak up on the group and as long as they yelled out "Clinkscale!" at the top of their lungs ahead of time and blindside truck one of the other friends! Surprisingly, there were no major injuries from this, and it made us walk around with our heads in a swivel!

I am sooooo going to get you at a TBD tailgate. :devil:

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillies said:

I used to love getting hit/tackled as long as it was a good form tackle and you don't land awkward.

You appreciate the guy hitting you the right way. I think that's why sometimes guys get up and say, "Nice hit, man."

They appreciate a good form tackle. And no matter how forceful, it really doesn't hurt - kinda feels good in a weird way.

Josh Allen is on record saying "he needs a little contact" and "he likes to get hit sometimes. it makes him feel alive".

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.