Williams and Bernard

Success

2 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

At this point in time it's just conversation with Milano being out. But if we were to get into some weather games, I think it would be better against the run game to have the 3 of them on the field. As it sits now, nickel is probably our best option. 

I’m assuming your thought process there is because of size?

56 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Humphrey is 6ft, has 32 and 1/4 inch arms, runs a 4.41 and played outside corner in college. He also always played outside corner in Baltimore in base, but then he'd go inside in nickel and they'd bring another boundary corner in. Similar to how Denver used to use Chris Harris back in the day. 

Taron Johnson is 5ft10 with 30 and 7/8 inch arms, runs 4.50 and has never played outside corner ever. I love him as a slot. He is one of the best 3 or 4 slot corners in football. But he just doesn't have the length or speed to play outside for me. 

I don’t care about combine measurements. Taron Johnson can play football. I’m not taking him off the field.

We aren’t a man defense. The biggest need for a Bills CB is tackling. Speed isn’t the most important thing. Plus he’s plenty fast anyways.

Taron Johnson is very similar measurement wise to Dane Jackson.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

20 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don’t care about combine measurements. Taron Johnson can play football. I’m not taking him off the field.

We aren’t a man defense. The biggest need for a Bills CB is tackling. Speed isn’t the most important thing. Plus he’s plenty fast anyways.

Taron Johnson is very similar measurement wise to Dane Jackson.

It isn't just combine measurements, it is experience of having done it or not. 

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It isn't just combine measurements, it is experience of having done it or not. 

I don’t think it matters too much with Taron Johnson. Great player. Our scheme covers up a lot of outside CB weaknesses.

But the talk of 3 safeties and 3 LBs should end if we’re not willing to try Johnson outside.

10 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

For the life of me I don’t understand why Taron Johnson couldn’t move to outside CB in this scenario. I’ve brought this up before when discussing a 3 safety look. The Ravens had the best slot CB in football in Marlon Humphrey, but would move him outside when needed. Now he’s full time outside.

The Panthers did run a lot of 3 LBs with McDermott as DC when they drafted Shaq Thompson.

Marlon is built like a prototypical boundary corner who is so good he can play anywhere

I would never classify him just as a slot corner ... He's a terrific defensive back who can play all over the field 

Johnson has short arms for a boundary corner and could be exploited by speed on the boundary... He's undersized for the outside without having the physical abilities to make up for it... But his instincts and physicality thrive in the slot

Some players are just made for a spot... And Johnson is perfect for the modern slot 

Dane Jackson played on an island at Pittsburgh a good amount... And was able to play the boundary physically while sticking in most receivers hips

You just can't stick football players into any technique or position and think they will thrive because they're good at a similar one 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 2

On 10/16/2023 at 12:52 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

😬

Your LB can’t miss that bad.

Upon further review, this is brutal. Milano stuffs that. Williams wasn't even blocked. Oh boy. This is old, hurt Barkley. I don't want to know what Achane or Mostert or Breece Hall would do with that one.  Time to get better quick.

Edited by TampaBillsJunkie
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

Upon further review, this is brutal. Milano stuffs that. Williams wasn't even blocked. Oh boy. This is old, hurt Barkley. I don't want to know what Achane or Mostert or Breece Hall would do with that one.  Time to get better quick.

Milano is great, but not flawless.  Even the best players are out of position & miss tackles sometimes..

Edited by Success
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

He plays too fast sometimes. Hopefully McDermott allows him to play through these mistakes and the game slows down.

But there can’t be too many more of these.

Looked like he got tripped by the OL. 

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

He might still be good there with enough time to learn the spot.

The (MLB) spot looks to be Bernard's.

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Looked like he got tripped by the OL. 

The (MLB) spot looks to be Bernard's.

True and the other spot will be Milano's when he gets back, I'm just saying they thought it'd be a tougher transition learning the defense as a rookie at MLB. With more time they might give him more of a chance to learn it and he could be good there too.

• Like (+1) 1

Sorry? You watched that clip and concluded Williams wasn't blocked? I'd call your local optician if I were you. 

35 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He plays too fast sometimes. Hopefully McDermott allows him to play through these mistakes and the game slows down.

But there can’t be too many more of these.

He does, arguably he did there too. 'Cos he allowed the blocker to engage. But McDermott wants his LBers playing faster downhill this year compared to recent years. So I suspect, actually, that he played his assignment properly and ultimately his blocker just got to him and got him out of the play. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Sorry? You watched that clip and concluded Williams wasn't blocked? I'd call your local optician if I were you. 

@Gunner. Show me who blocked him. Williams ran past an OL who was already engaged with another player and then Williams fell down or tripped over the OL as Saquon blew past him.  Willams got to his feet and pursued.  You may need the glassed. Watch again.

Blocker.jpg

On 10/16/2023 at 12:01 PM, Success said:

I thought one of the biggest positives from that ugly game was the LB play.

Both of these guys seemed like they were all over the field, all night.  Just flying to where the ball was and making plays.  It seems like what we lack in size in the LB unit, we make up for in speed. 

I didn't really notice Milano's absence. Williams seemed like a vet out there.

Curious if anyone/everyone saw it the same way I did. There were mistakes, like Bernard's PI in the endzone that almost really cost the team, but overall I thought both guys were excellent.

I’ve been impressed so far.  They have not been perfect but have done about as well as we could have hoped.  

I am a little concerned with their run defense and their pass defense.  It seemed like a missed tackles resulted in one of the big Barkley runs and also I noticed Wandale Robinson was consistently finding open spots in their zones to move the chain.

Overall I’ve been encouraged 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

@Gunner. Show me who blocked him. Williams ran past an OL who was already engaged with another player and then Williams fell down or tripped over the OL as Saquon blew past him.  Willams got to his feet and pursued.  You may need the glasses. Watch again and slow it down and you will see.

Blocker.jpg

Block2.jpg

4 hours ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

@Gunner. Show me who blocked him. Williams ran past an OL who was already engaged with another player and then Williams fell down or tripped over the OL as Saquon blew past him.  Willams got to his feet and pursued.  You may need the glassed. Watch again.

Blocker.jpg

As I said, above, it looks like the offensive lineman tripped him. I’d have to see another angle to be sure, but that would make sense.

Edit:  Just saw a Cover 1 analysis with Erik Turner and yep, the OL trips him up.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He does, arguably he did there too. 'Cos he allowed the blocker to engage. But McDermott wants his LBers playing faster downhill this year compared to recent years. So I suspect, actually, that he played his assignment properly and ultimately his blocker just got to him and got him out of the play. 

If you think he played his assignment well then who didn’t play it well?

Im positive this is a blown assignment by Williams.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

I thought they both looked good.  Get used to it, because this is our starting LB tandem of both the present AND the future.  Now, we need to find the same kind of young talent for our future safety tandem.

This is correct.

In 7 seasons Milano has started every game only once.

Before this season he played in 85 out of a possible 97 games.

After this season he will have played in 90 out of a possible 114 games.

He's always been a bit injury-prone and now he just gets older and more expensive.

His cap hit next year is almost $13 million and grows to over $16 million in 2025 and 2026.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

If you think he played his assignment well then who didn’t play it well?

Im positive this is a blown assignment by Williams.

By played his assignment I mean got to the right lane. I think he had a chance at the tackle but the partial block on him did enough and he ultimately didn't make it. I think the play starts to go wrong with Tim Settle on roller skates. He is ***** useless. Not saying Williams couldn't have executed better too but I think he got to his spot. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

By played his assignment I mean got to the right lane. I think he had a chance at the tackle but the partial block on him did enough and he ultimately didn't make it. I think the play starts to go wrong with Tim Settle on roller skates. He is ***** useless. Not saying Williams couldn't have executed better too but I think he got to his spot. 

It’s a missed tackle.

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Doc said:

Watch Erik Turner‘s video breakdown of Williams’ start. The offensive lineman trips him and it should have been called.  

No he didn’t. You’re probably talking about a different play.

its at 15:25. He just made a bad read and was out of position for the tackle.

42 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This is my take on it. 

lol I hope not. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

No he didn’t. You’re probably talking about a different play.

its at 15:25. He just made a bad read and was out of position for the tackle.

lol I hope not. 

The guy who comes across and gets the partial block also makes contact with his leg to the legs of Williams. He could still have made the tackle, sure. But he didn't make a bad read. He just didn't execute the tackle. 

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The guy who comes across and gets the partial block also makes contact with his leg to the legs of Williams. He could still have made the tackle, sure. But he didn't make a bad read. He just didn't execute the tackle. 

There is no trip. Geesh. Maybe Jordan Poyer took the wrong gap. Williams looks like he’s trying to get outside of the blocker but realizes no one is inside and attempts to get back and fill.

We’ll never know who messed up. It’s possible assignments changed with the motion and Williams just didn’t pick that up. It was more of a communication breakdown than a straight missed tackle. Someone didn’t do their job.

But that stuff use to happen with Milano and Edmunds also sometimes. 

25 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

There is no trip. Geesh. Maybe Jordan Poyer took the wrong gap. Williams looks like he’s trying to get outside of the blocker but realizes no one is inside and attempts to get back and fill.

We’ll never know who messed up. It’s possible assignments changed with the motion and Williams just didn’t pick that up. It was more of a communication breakdown than a straight missed tackle. Someone didn’t do their job.

But that stuff use to happen with Milano and Edmunds also sometimes. 

I mean it is right there. I don't think it is intentional. But the tight end's leg clearly drags into Williams. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.