Williams and Bernard

Success

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Milano is an elite playmaker, but the silver lining in losing him is that he plays the most easily replaceable position on a defense. 

I'm gladly eating crow on the back to back RD3 LB picks, because Bernard looks very good and early returns on Dorian Williams are that he could follow a sped up trajectory as a read/react linebacker without the MLB responsibilities. 

I know - when Milano is back you have to take a solid player off of the field. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Wasn’t good in his zone coverage. So that’s a worry moving forward.

True, but when it comes to pass coverage, he’s already far better than Dobson or Klein even though he’s a greenhorn LB with one start under his belt. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Williams will have some growing pains but he had some nice plays and was all over the field. He just needs more time and experience to stop over pursuing and be in the right place more consistently. But he looks like he belongs which is a good sign. Hopefully by December he is a lot better.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

They doubled ford and moved him, then the guard got to 2nd level.  When ford came out and they tried it again phillips split the double team and was in the backfield. 

And there is almost no linebacker in the league who is going to hold up when a guard gets his hands on him flush at the second level. 

My overall take on Williams is he was better than last week for sure. He is so fast and instinctive at times he has a tendency to get to his spot too early or overrun his gap / drop point in coverage. But I'd much rather be trying to reign that in with a guy with speed, instincts and talent than trying to put AJ Klein out there knowing full well they are spots he just can't get to in time. There is a lot to like in Williams game and as the game slows down for him and as he slows himself down I think you will see a better player. I'd be interested in @HoofHearted or @Buffalo716 opinions on some of his coverage drops because they were the weakness to me last night, especially two of those shorter 3rd down completions Tyrod had where it felt like he almost outran his spot but without having looked at the A22 yet, obviously, I thought he graded pretty well against the run, chasing down plays and attacking the ball carrier. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And there is almost no linebacker in the league who is going to hold up when a guard gets his hands on him flush at the second level. 

My overall take on Williams is he was better than last week for sure. He is so fast and instinctive at times he has a tendency to get to his spot too early or overrun his gap / drop point in coverage. But I'd much rather be trying to reign that in with a guy with speed, instincts and talent than trying to put AJ Klein out there knowing full well they are spots he just can't get to in time. There is a lot to like in Williams game and as the game slows down for him and as he slows himself down I think you will see a better player. I'd be interested in @HoofHearted or @Buffalo716 opinions on some of his coverage drops because they were the weakness to me last night, especially two of those shorter 3rd down completions Tyrod had where it felt like he almost outran his spot but without having looked at the A22 yet, obviously, I thought he graded pretty well against the run, chasing down plays and attacking the ball carrier. 

They were getting a decent amount of YAC on some of those throws too.  Couple yards short of the sticks turned into first downs or 3rd and shorts.  

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I know he overran his drop a couple times. I'd have to see the A22 to give a true opinion though. A lot of his faults right now are just eye discipline which will come with reps. I'm encouraged by what I've seen so far. You can't teach his speed and willingness to pull the trigger.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HoofHearted said:

I know he overran his drop a couple times. I'd have to see the A22 to give a true opinion though. A lot of his faults right now are just eye discipline which will come with reps. I'm encouraged by what I've seen so far. You can't teach his speed and willingness to pull the trigger.

I think reps and just the game slowing for him. He is so fast and playing with such energy right now that at times it is just a tad frantic and he will learn that you don't have to be in perpetual motion to be effective. But agreed last night overall was encouring for him. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Success said:

I thought one of the biggest positives from that ugly game was the LB play.

Both of these guys seemed like they were all over the field, all night.  Just flying to where the ball was and making plays.  It seems like what we lack in size in the LB unit, we make up for in speed. 

I didn't really notice Milano's absence. Williams seemed like a vet out there.

Curious if anyone/everyone saw it the same way I did. There were mistakes, like Bernard's PI in the endzone that almost really cost the team, but overall I thought both guys were excellent.

Milano's absence sorely felt.  Giants are an O-line that hemorrhages sacks every week.

Williams looks alot like Tremaine to me. Always around the ball but seemed to be chasing.

Just my layman's observation

Bernard seemed calmer. Last week after Milano went down I think he was a bit shaken, but a week to prepare seemed to smooth that out for him.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'll take a look at it 

Yea he has lots of promise and too fast can be a real thing ... but with reps and coaching it's easier to correct than a guy like you said ... Who can't even get to the spot

He's fast and physical for sure 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, DKBills25 said:

Bernard is a baller I think he has earned his spot 

williams I think get to holes late 

whiffs on tackles … maybe I’m just used to Milano level but I think Klein would do better than Williams 

I think its better to let Williams work out the kinks. KC and the Pats back in their dynasty would play young players in September to mid-November and let them take their lumps so that by late November they worked out the kinks in their games and they were rolling a lot better headed into the final 4-5 regular season games and playoffs. I think Williams will only get better as he gets a feel for the game. He looked to be flying all over the place in both games. He just needs to play a bit calmer which I think will happen the more snaps he gets. 

Klein may be a more "steady" hand but Klein is a vet who is what he is. Williams could and I think will get better with more snaps. I would rather take 6-7 more weeks of a young player making a few mistakes but gives them the chance to grow into a much better player come the playoffs than a vet who at best is around average. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

10 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Without seeing them step on a scale, I find it impossible to believe that Bernard weighs more than Milano. 

I don’t buy that either.  Williams looks noticeably bigger than everyone in the LB ranks and he’s still not a big guy.

9 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

That’s ok, depth is great.  Milano is one of the very best in the game, unless somebody turns All-Probin his absence, he’s the guy you want out there. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Bernard was good.  Maybe I'm ignorant but I didn't notice Williams much other than a bonus sack for him when Tyrod dropped the ball 

Dorien Williams was in the screenshot of nearly every play either in on the tackle or close to the tackle

He had several good plays in the game. He also had a couple of dingers like the runs that were given up for big yards to Barkley.

9 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Between the LBs Oliver Rousseau and Floyd…I love this front 7 right now. Go add Surtain at the deadline to lock down the other CB and don’t worry about the Offensive issues. They are more then good enough but this defense could win us the Super Bowl 

Surtain is not available. As I understand it he is pretty much the only player on that roster Denver are not willing to move. Sure if you threw a first and another high pick.... maybe that changes but I don't think that would be wise, even as much as I love Pat Surtain.

9 hours ago, DKBills25 said:

Bernard is a baller I think he has earned his spot 

williams I think get to holes late 

whiffs on tackles … maybe I’m just used to Milano level but I think Klein would do better than Williams 

I think if anything he gets to holes too early. He whiffed on a lot of tackles last week. Didn't see that on SNF. He was pretty good. 

9 hours ago, Heavy Kevi said:

Williams looks alot like Tremaine to me. Always around the ball but seemed to be chasing.

Just my layman's observation

Bernard seemed calmer. Last week after Milano went down I think he was a bit shaken, but a week to prepare seemed to smooth that out for him.

Harris looks nothing like Tremaine Edmunds

Look a little closer

The positions on defense that require the best instinct are linebackers. You need to have a feel for everything that’s going on since you’re constantly in the middle of the field. Milano, Bernard, and Williams have shown to have great instinct. Yes even Williams because he is flying out there without any hesitation 

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Do we have to? Personally,  I'd like to see more 4-3. And if Milano and Williams can cover in pass plays, it'd be nice to have the extra LB against the run as well. I know it's not our base D, but... TB, Milano and Williams... I like the thought. 😁

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.