What will happen with Josh over the next month?

Simon

Whaddya got?

Here's my guess:

Twofold problem right now 1) He hasn't started trusting his OLine yet after last year's debacle and it's affecting is ability to process and see the field and 2) He loves to challenge himself to make amazing plays, because it's fun

It doesn't make him stupid, selfish or scared because he's none of those things, but it does make him a turnover prone QB and he knows that has to change. So he decides to make the change.

Eventually I think he will do so successfully but these next few weeks are going to be hard. Every time he drops back he's going to have his own voice in his head telling him "No, don't bail yet", "No, don't try that throw",  "No, don't take that guy on for an extra yard" and that is going to be very distracting and make it very hard for him to find the Zone. During this time he'll likely do a better job of protecting the ball, but it's probably going to come at the price of making him a less efficient QB.

If he sticks with it and stays patient, eventually that voice will go away, he'll get out of his own head and the decision-making process will become more organic and less forced. At that point he'll start being able to get back in the Zone and then we'll see him spreading the ball around and cutting people up the way we know he can. When this happens, woe to anybody who thinks they can still run man schemes against the Bills offense.

Stay focused and patient young buck, you'll find that place again....

• Like (+1) 22
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

He’s a youngster who has won wayyyy more games for us than he has lost. Time to tell Stef Diggs to chill out. Can’t demand the ball every time to the detriment of the final score. Josh is trying to feed him to a fault. Spread the ball around. 5yds - 15 yds. Josh can move the sticks like the best of them. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Coach McDermott: “Josh we are going to train you to play to 45 like Tom Brady.

Josh Allen: “How?”

Coach McD: “By putting lead ankle weights on you.”

Josh Allen: “But how will I escape the pass rush?”

Coach McD: “You will learn how to read defenses navigate the pocket, and get the ball out consistently.”

Josh Allen: “Okay. But what if I need to hurdle a Linebacker?” 

Coach McD: “You won’t be able to.”

• Like (+1) 6
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 8

Too many cooks in the kitchen and by trying to appease them all, he's getting away from his game.  Now his head is all messed up and he's not processing correctly in my opinion.  Say what you will about Dabol, but i do believe he was the one constant in Josh's head.  Now it seems he has too many cooks in the kitchen.  We know Diggs stated just get in the air and I'll make the play - well what did Josh do, forced prayers to Diggs that had no reason to be thrown.  And then you got both McDermott and Diggs pointing at their head to Josh on national Tv to use his head and be smart.   

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/michael-irvin-blasts-bills-stefon-diggs-sean-mcdermott-for-how-they-treat-josh-allen/ar-AA1gCG18

So I agree with Simon that he needs to get out of his own head, but he needs to cut out all the outside cooks - to include trying to appease Diggs and let it come naturally.  

Edited by Lieutenant Aldo Raine
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Simon said:

Whaddya got?

Here's my guess:

Twofold problem right now 1) He hasn't started trusting his OLine yet after last year's debacle and it's affecting is ability to process and see the field and 2) He loves to challenge himself to make amazing plays, because it's fun

It doesn't make him stupid, selfish or scared because he's none of those things, but it does make him a turnover prone QB and he knows that has to change. So he decides to make the change.

Eventually I think he will do so successfully but these next few weeks are going to be hard. Every time he drops back he's going to have his own voice in his head telling him "No, don't bail yet", "No, don't try that throw",  "No, don't take that guy on for an extra yard" and that is going to be very distracting and make it very hard for him to find the Zone. During this time he'll likely do a better job of protecting the ball, but it's probably going to come at the price of making him a less efficient QB.

If he sticks with it and stays patient, eventually that voice will go away, he'll get out of his own head and the decision-making process will become more organic and less forced. At that point he'll start being able to get back in the Zone and then we'll see him spreading the ball around and cutting people up the way we know he can. When this happens, woe to anybody who thinks they can still run man schemes against the Bills offense.

he just needs to be 2020 him- he was great that season 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Simon said:

Whaddya got?

Here's my guess:

Starting to believe that a 17 game season see's ebb's and flows, last year everything clicked early on, maybe this year we can tread water and really ramp up at the right time.

And yes i believe there is a lot of scar tissue from our ending last season, just gotta keep chopping wood, improve week to week and see where it goes.

It's interesting because, from 2018 to 2021 specifically, in Daboll's offense, when Josh had a game where he would make a certain costly mistake, you would generally see him really learn from it and make a point to not letting it happen again in the near future.  When we would see these mistakes reoccur, it was usually some weeks later.  This is one of the things I loved about him; this was the evidence of his growth that was unlike any QB prospect I had ever seen.  The guy LEARNED FROM HIS MISTAKES!!!  And he got better and better and better .... But only up until a certain point, and incidentally, that point is around the time that Dorsey took over play-calling.   Now, personally I have not ready to blame Dorsey just yet because it really looks like a lot of Allen's mistakes are just reckless personal decisions, but at the same time you can't ignore the fact that this regression started to happen after Daboll left.  Is it coincidental?  I don't know.  I just know earlier in his career, he would rarely make the same mistake twice and now he is.  Repeatedly.  It's mind boggling because these are CORRECTABLE issues.  Often times he will be playing very well for stretches and then just suddenly have a brain fart and make an inexcusable play and the defense is taking full advantage (i.e. he hasn't been getting "breaks" lately in the form of dropped picks or recovering his own fumbles).   Now, having said all of this, I still go back to the fact that yesterday in particular was nothing new when it comes to the Jets; they ARE a problem for him and they were a problem for him before yesterday, but with this "new" Josh Allen it's frustrating that even in his "good" games there are ALWAYS 1 or 2 brain fart interceptions.  Why can't he just play a FULL game without these few isolated bizarre decisions?  because honestly, everything else looked PRETTY GOOD to me!  When he was taking what the defense was giving him, he was 9 for 10, moving the chains against a great defense, and it was working!  When he threw that first interception, he had 10+ yards of daylight in front of him?  Doesn't Josh Allen LOVE to run!?!?  The one time we WANT him to run, he doesn't!?  MAN, it's almost like he doesn't want to run if it doesn't look like it is going to entail running into traffic and attempting to bicycle kick 2 LBs.  It's just infuriating to think about lol..which is why this turned into a rant. Sorry.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

When things get too mental with him, he should just start running his ass off.  Not this indecisive running but really taking off.  injuries be damned.  He’s at his best doing two things, throwing on the run and scrambling with conviction. 

funny thing is I think that was the plan on the 1st and 10 fumble right after bills took over following jets TD to tie the game. Looked like a designed run, but by that time the sugar high was peaking and he botched the snap, recovered it and lost it again!

its just weird how lately when things start to unravel with Allen, the unraveling begins at a time when he is playing well and we actually have control of the game, but then he will keep unraveling until we have inexplicably lost our lead altogether and only THEN end does he seem to snap out of it, 

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, Simon said:

Whaddya got?

Here's my guess:

I’d have more confidence in this if he hasn’t been playing this way over the course of about a full season 17 games.   He is selfish in his play not letting players who receive the open short routes players use their skills to advance the ball.  And he clearly is having trouble reading D’s or understanding the play calls. 

• Agree 2

As much as we all wanted the W last night, if this is a "turning point"/learning moment that gets Josh to a consistent top-level, then it's worth it.

Very likely he's got a TON of negative feedback today/dissected the film.  Mental toughness is a job prerequisite, he needs to look in the mirror and remind himself that he's capable of doing so much better (sure that's what he's hearing from coaches/players/family too).  

In terms of the next month, Raiders/Commanders/Dolphins/Jags, that's not Jets caliber defenses - but good in their own right.  I think they are all very capable of generating pressure with their front 4, BUT predicting he rebounds strongly, 9 TDs and 2 INTs.  Keep our oline healthy, and think they will gel more/more. Don't let Maxx wreck the game plan this week, if he's lined up over Spencer - better have a TE/RB chip

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

We have seen him play at an MVP level and maintain it through an offseason into the next. 
He’s come out of the gate in some of his previous  years on fire and then slumped towards the end. Let’s hope this year is the opposite and he just gets better from here every week. 
I am quite sure after all the hype, commercials and madden covers that Jets game is a bit of a rock bottom. 
I think it’s in the best interest of the franchise and this season they take the ball out of his hands more until he’s playing under control. 
Vegas is a good opponent to put more work into the actual run game and cut back the pass attempts. Last thing the team or fans need to see is Max Crosby lining up over Spencer brown for 40+ passing attempts. 
Maybe one of y’all can email Dorsey some footage of the offenses here while Dick Jauron was coaching. 
Run on 1st, no matter what run on 2nd.. 3rd and short you run again. 3rd and longs go make a play. 
We hated it then, we need it now.

2 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

As much as we all wanted the W last night, if this is a "turning point"/learning moment that gets Josh to a consistent top-level, then it's worth it.

Very likely he's got a TON of negative feedback today/dissected the film.  Mental toughness is a job prerequisite, he needs to look in the mirror and remind himself that he's capable of doing so much better (sure that's what he's hearing from coaches/players/family too).  

In terms of the next month, Raiders/Commanders/Dolphins/Jags, that's not Jets caliber defenses - but good in their own right.  I think they are all very capable of generating pressure with their front 4, BUT predicting he rebounds strongly, 9 TDs and 2 INTs.  Keep our oline healthy, and think they will gel more/more. Don't let Maxx wreck the game plan this week, if he's lined up over Spencer - better have a TE/RB chip

Stats aside I expect 0 turnovers for a month. Turnovers will happen, but forced passes, not playing with timing or rhythm will result in TOs. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, zow2 said:

When things get too mental with him, he should just start running his ass off.  Not this indecisive running but really taking off.  injuries be damned.  He’s at his best doing two things, throwing on the run and scrambling with conviction. 

So just call him cam Newton and use him that way. 
interesting idea. 

stop worrying about hits shortening his career- it will be over in a couple years anyway …. 

this might be right 

Run him instead of trying to turn him into Tom Brady 

Almost seems right. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think 80-90% of what we saw last night can be filed under "Jets issue."  He has had some of his poorer play against that team.

I think he's going to tear it up in the weeks ahead.  He'll face a few other great defenses - I think the Pats have that, and certainly the Cowboys.  But in general, I think he'll use last night as a learning experience and be able to take real advantage of lesser defenses.  

It will be interesting to revisit the hot takes - both here and nationally - in a few months. Obviously, I could end up being wrong - but I think he's going to really rise to this occasion.

Idk, he's in year six and from halftime of the GB game last year, Josh hasn't been the same. Daboll turned the biggest question mark QB from his draft year into a superstar. Two years ago was Allen's best season, and also Daboll's last season in Buffalo. I think the Bills dropped the ball by promoting Dorsey. Listening to Dan Orlovsky on OBL today really opened my eyes. The guy had some real interesting observations about Allen and the offense. He said there were seven plays that really stood out to him about Allen's play. The guy pays attention to detail. He would make an incredible OC if he wanted the opportunity. But I think he is perfectly happy doing what he is doing. He wasn't a great NFL QB, but he is very smart. Kinda like Jordan Palmer. He sucked as a QB but he has helped many others with their mechanics. Some guys have the brains, but not the physical talent to be a successful NFL QB. Josh needs to get his head out of his ass, and quick. 

Edited by Bubba Gump
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.