Lions vs Bills: Who wins the SB first?

Mikie2times

I think the Lions are an intriguing comparison (post Dan Campbell) because they're actually a comparable team as far as playoff droughts (still active), long standing history, our ties to playing in Detroit of late, never having won a Super Bowl. More than that depending on how far down you want to take it, Ralph, etc.... 

The Lions seem to have took a much different path than Buffalo in how they're built. They did not focus on needing to land a QB in the draft. They run a very aggressive system often going for it multiple times per game. They built around developing a run game. In fact I would say the entire make up is hard nosed. You have this sea of former NFL coaches that are very eccentric. Seems more like a work hard play hard group (watch the TD celebrations or hard knocks). Clearly the way the Bills have done it so far has been the superior. No debating that. Looking at the next few years I would say we are now seeing them catch up and possibly pass us. It made me think, as of right now, knowing all you know, would you say they're more likely to win a Super Bowl before we are?

I think I would have laughed at that notion a couple years ago. But it seems like the consideration is certainly possible now. Being from that area the thought is depressing. 

Have the Lions caught us?  

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Because they beat the Chiefs in week 1?

I mean, they they're 9-2 the last 11 with the Turkey game which they outplayed us in being one of those games. Currently +1600 vs Buffalo at +1000. It's not like you get extra credit for having been to the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Goin Breakdown said:

Honestly and it's not because or recency bias, but I'd say the Lions. Right now they have momentum from last season to now. The Bills haven't looked all that great since last years KC game. Everything looks like a struggle. Imagine if it didn't.   

I mean, we went 8-3 in regular season games not counting the cancelled Bengals game. 1-1 in the playoffs. Not always pretty, but let’s not condemn them just yet

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

I think the Lions are an intriguing comparison (post Dan Campbell) because they're actually a comparable team as far as playoff droughts (still active), long standing history, our ties to playing in Detroit of late, never having won a Super Bowl. More than that depending on how far down you want to take it, Ralph, etc.... 

The Lions seem to have took a much different path than Buffalo in how they're built. They did not focus on needing to land a QB in the draft. They run a very aggressive system often going for it multiple times per game. They built around developing a run game. In fact I would say the entire make up is hard nosed. You have this sea of former NFL coaches that are very eccentric. Seems more like a work hard play hard group (watch the TD celebrations or hard knocks). Clearly the way the Bills have done it so far has been the superior. No debating that. Looking at the next few years I would say we are now seeing them catch up and possibly pass us. It made me think, as of right now, knowing all you know, would you say they're more likely to win a Super Bowl before we are?

I think I would have laughed at that notion a couple years ago. But it seems like the consideration is certainly possible now. Being from that area the thought is depressing. 

Have the Lions caught us?  

This take is peak Week 1 overreaction 

Dan Campbell and Jared Goff are in year 3 together. 

Sean McDermott and Josh Allen are in year 6 together. 

History suggests that the Lions have a shot in the next 3 seasons (including this one). History suggests the Bills have no shot unless either McDermott or Allen goes. 

This history is represented here: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-coaches-and-qbs-should-divorce-after-five-years-of-not-winning and I've also verified it myself and included the seasons after this article was posted. 

Anyway, not saying the Bills can't or won't do it before the Lions. But right now, Analytics would give the edge to Detroit. 

4 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

I mean, they they're 9-2 the last 11 with the Turkey game which they outplayed us in being one of those games. Currently +1600 vs Buffalo at +1000. It's not like you get extra credit for having been to the playoffs. 

We've seen this story play out a million times before. 

Come back to this thread at the end of the season

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.