Postgame Thoughts

Franco_92

Josh's last 2 meaningful games were the worst of his career.  I can forgive the first interception but the 2nd and 3rd were absolutely brutal, and he's gotta secure the ball after his fumbles and live to fight another day instead of trying to be the hero and make something out of nothing.  Hopefully next January we are laughing at how bad the Offense was in week 1 as we make a deep playoff run... but I'm doubtful.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

The Bills had a chance to put a big hurt on the Jets before halftime, and they threw it away.

After Milano's interception, the Bills were driving, but after the two minute warning, the Bills let the clock run under a minute and looked as if they were in no hurry to score.

By wasting all that time doing NOTHING, they had to settle for a field goal instead of getting a touchdown.

We've seen moments like this before, and it has got to stop.

This scenario was a one of the factors as to why we lost this game.

This is a pattern by the coach he tries to slow walk it. We end up settling with a field goal instead of a touchdown, being too conservative.

• Agree 1

I think part of it was Josh hearing Diggs' voice telling him how he needs to trust him in big moments and put the ball up there. I think this might have been Josh feeding Diggs' ego when he knew better but had to show by example why it's not that simple.

Edited by meh
  • Like (+1) 2

“Just getting real sick and tired of feeling like there’s now a logjam of teams that are physically, and mentally, tougher than us. “

There is that. When the HOF opposing QB is taken off on a cart after 4 plays, you simply can never, ever lose the game! Unless you do all manner of stupid things- which the Bills did the entire second half.

ONE FG in the second half? Seriously?

Here is what Mike Lombardi wrote about in Gridiron Genius, concerning some of the lessons of Billy B.

“The rest of us do, too. To my mind, the most important lessons boil down to a handful of ideas that are as powerful as they are simple.

CULTURE COMES FIRST. You can have the best game plan (or strategy or tactics), the best team (or product or service), and the best players or engineers or salespeople), and you may achieve short-term success.

But if you haven't created an underlying ecosystem of excellence, short-term success is all it will ever be.

PRESS EVERY EDGE ALL THE TIME, BECAUSE ANY EDGE MAY MATTER ANYTIME. The great ones understand that a focus on details is crucial not because they know what will matter when but because they don't.

SYSTEMS OVER STARS. Obviously, I have seen some superstars up close in my day: Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Tom Brady. But superstar is the second way I'd describe each. The first is "superb system guy." Talent matters, but willingness to buy into the program matters more.

LEADERSHIP IS A LONG-TERM PROPOSITION.

Devotion to the process has to matter more than chasing the score. True leaders always value sustainable success over quick fixes. Much as empire builders such as Warren Buffet and Jeff Bezos have ignored the quarter-to-quarter earnings game, dynastic coaches ignore all distractions-fan pressure, media scrutiny, player grumbling once they are convinced that a decision is right for their team.

YOU'RE NEVER DONE GETTING BETTER. Greatness over time is in direct correlation to growth over time, and growth over time requires finding new ways to do the same old things. Real leaders, real achievers, real champions are never done learning.

Real front-office guys, too. I may no longer be employed by the league, but the game is still an important part of me, and it always will be. These days, I am teaching my two grandsons, Dominic and Leo, all about this great game.

And to do that I have to keep learning, especially from my mistakes. That's one reason I have a category of people I call "change-my-mind guys." At first glance, this group of players and coaches didn't impress me all that much. But over time they forced me to reevaluate them. It can be a humbling exercise. And at this stage of my career, I can tell you, these change-my-mind guys often end up leaving the biggest impressions.

Demonstrate respect for each person in the organization.

Be deeply committed to learning and teaching.

Be fair.

Demonstrate character.

Honor the direct connection between details and improvement;
relentlessly seek the latter.

Show self-control, especially under pressure.

Demonstrate and prize loyalty.

Use positive language and have a positive attitude.

Take pride in my effort as an entity separate from the result of that effort.

Be willing to go the extra distance for the organization.

Deal appropriately with victory and defeat, adulation and humiliation.

Promote internal communication that is both open and substantive.

Seek poise in myself and those I lead.

Put the team's welfare and priorities ahead of my own.

Maintain an ongoing level of concentration and focus that is abnormally high.

Make sacrifice and commitment the organization's trademark.

10 hours ago, arcane said:

You know, as I think about that last paragraph more, if Dorsey can’t keep Allen on track, it doesn’t matter what his plays look like. In 2020 Allen threw 10 picks. He’s a third of the way there after one game. In theory it’s possible to stop this.

It's incumbent upon coaching to get this to sink into Allen's head by explaining it to him.  If they can't do it, then Pegula needs to find someone that can.  

If they've seriously and effectively done that and it still hasn't sunk in, then another problem exists.  

Allen's plenty bright.  

Our 16 points in regulation was our worst in 22 regular season games, and with our new-and-improved offense.

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

McD and Dorsey have to sit Josh down and drill it into his skull that the great QBs take what is given them.

Agreed. All the things Josh said he'd work on - take what the defense gives, don't play hero-ball, protect yourself - all of it went out the window as he reverted back to "sandlot football Josh." I'd stick him in the film room all day and have him watch every boneheaded play he made, followed by an example of a great QB in a similar situation doing it right.

Metaphorically, someone needs to take that boy out to the woodshed for a little talkin' to.

Edited by WhoTom

7 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

It seemed that Daboll finally got thru to Josh the way he played in 2020 and ‘21.  There was noticeable regression last season but hopefully this game was not an indication that he’s regressed back to his 1st couple of years.

Not off to a good start. Allen taking blame is all good but you have to produce on the field. He was just awful in the 2nd half. It was a bad rookie version of Allen.

Remember the run we went on after the Hail Murray? That was a similar low moment, but I recall looking back on that game and that play and thinking, I'm glad that happened.  Something about it galvanized the team.

I don't know if last night was like that. But there were a LOT of lessons in that game that the team can grow from if they take heed.  Here's hoping we can look back at the end of the season and see it as a "good" loss, at least in a way.

11 hours ago, arcane said:

Postgame Thoughts

Upon further review, yes.  

The current Jets under Saleh appear to be an insurmountable hurdle for McD and his Bills. 

In our last three games total, with Allen as our QB and White (1) and Wilson (2) as their QBs, they've outplayed us generally and aggregately.  

In those three games they have better metrics on everything except passing yards.  

They've outscored us, 54-53   Average 18 - 17.7

They've gotten more 1st-Downs, 53-52   Average 17.7 - 17.3

They've gotten more Total Yards, 908-863   Average 303 - 288  

They've logged more Rushing Yards, 422-333   Average 141 - 111 

They've gotten more Takeaways, 6-4    

The Passing Yards favor us, 530-486   177 - 162  

Both teams have 5 TDs.  

We have 2 Passing TDs and 3 Rushing TDs, all three rushing TDs by Allen 

They have 2 Passing TDs, 2 Rushing TDs, and 1 Special Teams TD 

FWIW  

Edited by PBF81

Jets FG to make it 13-6. Why did the Bills just give the Jets the points? It was 3rd and 13 at the 25, McD declines a pass interference call to give the Jets the FG from the 25. Why not take the penalty and push the Jets back to the 35? Never know if you get a sack or TO on that play. Unliklely they convert a 3rd and 23. Did McD think he was playing Mahomes or something? 

30 minutes ago, Success said:

Remember the run we went on after the Hail Murray? ....

If the Cincinnati playoff disaster wasn't enough to get Josh to focus and learn his lesson then nothing will be.  Maybe Josh needs the full pre-season to be ready for the regular season, hopefully this is just a blip.

8 minutes ago, GottaRun said:

If the Cincinnati playoff disaster wasn't enough to get Josh to focus and learn his lesson then nothing will be.  Maybe Josh needs the full pre-season to be ready for the regular season, hopefully this is just a blip.

Actually last nights Josh Allen Looked alot like the Cincy Josh Allen.  

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, GottaRun said:

Clutching at straws, maybe 2023 will be 2022 in reverse? Josh starts by struggling, then clicks into gear later in the season.

We need it to be the case. We can probably afford him to be a bit iffy for the next month or so, if it means he's at his best around and after the bye.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GottaRun said:

Josh's last 2 meaningful games were the worst of his career.  I can forgive the first interception but the 2nd and 3rd were absolutely brutal, and he's gotta secure the ball after his fumbles and live to fight another day instead of trying to be the hero and make something out of nothing.  Hopefully next January we are laughing at how bad the Offense was in week 1 as we make a deep playoff run... but I'm doubtful.

It definitely raises questions.  

Some people here defending Dorsey, but while reviewing the game, highlights only for now, he's still an issue.  I've said it before and I'll continue to repeat it, but he coaches as if he's trying to relive his Canes years all over again.  This isn't college ball.  

As to Allen, again, simply from the highlights, there are another one possibly two before this one, but here's a fantastic example of what most people realize;  

4:10 mark in the video, midway through the 2nd Q, Kincaid runs a crossing pattern short and is WIDE open on the right side, but Allen, who must've seen him, decides to go deep where both Davis and Diggs are amidst 4 coverage guys.  Fortunately Davis caught it in heavy traffic, but a much safer pass with zero chance of being intercepted would have been wiser and STILL gotten the 1st-Down.  There's a reason why opponents back off of our short out receivers.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk8DnHKqBRg

Other notes: 

Bernard gets disposed of like a rag doll on the next Jets play in the video.  

On Milano's subsequent INT, while great it was simply a horrible throw, not great D.  If Wilson puts it a little farther downfield it's a huge gain.  

Then at 5:20 I don't understand this play call.  It's 3rd-and-13, Kincaid goes deep on the right but he doesn't even approach having the speed to beat Gardner deep, Davis is covered well by Reed on the left side, while Diggs and Knox both break short, well short of the 1st-Down marker and covered so that even if either of them catches it they won't get the 1st.  Then Allen nearly gets himself killed going airborne 6 yards short of the marker.  :shrug:  Mindboggling play call.  

At the 6:08 mark in the video Bernard again demonstrating that he cannot hold up at the point of attack in the running game as he gets shoved 6 of 7 yards downfield on that running play.  

Side note:  Yet another play after that where our fully healthy Brown is still a turnstyle and in this game he was highly problematic still.  We'll see re: him going forward.  

A couple plays later Bernard being absolutely useless again with his inability to shed a pretty simple block to the inside on a 15-yard run by Cook.  

Then on the next play in the video, Carter making a catch wide open OTM with Milano and Hyde getting to him way before Bernard does.  

The next play, another Dorsey special, 3rd-and-6 on a designed play to Cook who catches it with defenders in the area from the two receivers in front of him screening, supposedly anyway, and 5 yards from the 1st-Down marker.  Result, 4th/punt.  

Then on the next Jets play, once again, Bernard demonstrating that he has no business starting at MLB.  

Torrence was impressive most of the game considering that this was his first game as a rookie and given the man-to-man competition.  

At 8:47, another fantastic example of Allen not taking advantage of the short much easier stuff and forcing it into traffic, again for an INT.   3rd-and-2, Diggs is WIDE open at the 1D line for an easy 1st-Down.  Instead, Allen goes deep to Davis in double-coverage and underthrows him for the INT.  (aka not Davis' fault)  

On the next play in the video, Zach Wilson demonstrates great pocket presence, and hits a wide open Lazard in the left flat for a huge gain and 1D.  That appears to have been Bernard's guy, but Bernard also appears to have allowed himself to be blocked by another Bill during the play.  

Then another play with great pocket presence by Wilson who hits Garrett Wilson deep setting up their TD on that spectacular catch by Wilson a play later.  

10:10 Bernard siting with an assisted tackle on a run stuff.  

Then, LOL, Bernard on the very next play.   

10:53  Allen again ignoring a wide open Kincaid at the 1D line and going for Davis who was well covered m2m on 2nd-and-3.  

Again on the next play, Knox wide open at the LOS for a good sized gain on 1st-and-10, instead Allen throws it to Diggs who has 3 defenders near him.  Again, it's 1st-and-10, not 3rd-and-10.  

11:45 3rd-and-10 Allen waiting way too long while looking downfield before he throws it inaccurately to a wide open Murray in the left flat, and who was also well-positioned to run OOB.  Incomplete.  It almost seems as if the play would have been designed in that instance specifically for Murray there.  

That 3rd-and-12 play call in OT also has to be questioned.  Was a single receiver beyond the 1D line?  

FWIW  

2 hours ago, GottaRun said:

What should be concerning is that he's been reiterating that he's more focused than he's ever been.  

If that's truly the case then it's problematic.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SCBills said:

Just getting real sick and tired of feeling like there’s now a logjam of teams that are physically, and mentally, tougher than us. 

Jets likely knew Rodgers was done for the year at halftime.  They came out and played with pure heart, knowing that the Super Bowl aspirations that franchise had are gone .. and they may only ever see those handful of snaps of Rodgers in a Jets jersey at 40 years old now with that injury/rehab.  Don’t be shocked if he hangs em up.  

We, on the other hand, got physically punched in the mouth.. just like the Bengals game, and just like the Bengals game, our QB and coaching staff had no counter punch.  

This team is mentally and physically soft… and until that changes, we will struggle against teams that want to bare knuckle brawl all game. 

Sadly, I think we’re stuck at this plateau level with McDermott.  I hope not, but it really feels like we’ve been churning to get over the hump the past two years and now we have to safeguard against the collapse.   I’d love to be wrong, but man… I wish Daboll was here.  

The Team is Soft. 

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I wished we would have taken more shots downfield on the outside....like fly routes.

The two INT on the deep posts were into double coverage.  Meaning I think that someone on the outside would have been singled up.

I wish we'd play and have our offensive plays called as if we actually know where the 1st-Down marker is.  It's mindboggling at times how our play-calls or decisions on plays appear to be in complete ignorance of that.  Both Dorsey and Allen are implicated.  

Josh is given too much free reign! He needs that QB whisperer on the sidelines with him throughout the game to keep his head in check.

Is McD afraid to confront JA? Is Beane?

He pretty much single handedly lost the game for us last night.

And then there's the reckless abandon he has of his body.

14 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

Josh is given too much free reign! He needs that QB whisperer on the sidelines with him throughout the game to keep his head in check.

Is McD afraid to confront JA? Is Beane?

He pretty much single handedly lost the game for us last night.

And then there's the reckless abandon he has of his body.

No disagreement here except that it's not Beane's job to get involved there.  

It is Dorsey and McD's job, and if Dorsey ain't doin' it, then McD's to "explain it" to Dorsey.  It appears that either little of that is happening, which after last season would be inexplicable, or that Allen's ignoring it.   Either way, it's not good.  

Bills continue their regular season "Nobody can beat them, they just beat themselves".

It literally almost takes an Act of God for this team to lose during the last 2 years in the reg season.

Jets are a pain in this teams ass on D. Not many can matchup that well against us.

It's the first game...irritating as hell since we would have already had a 1 game lead on Cincy and KC but all 3 are 0-1 now. Bet the parlay on that bet would have paid huge.

People will freak out and overreact but what you see for the first 4 weeks doesn't mean a whole lot by the end of the year tho. They should look a lot better against the Raiders I think.

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean Dorsey called a touchdown play on that second down. Cook had the defender beat and woulda walked in. Josh under threw it.

This is true, but why take up so much time and rely on deep throws to get a touchdown, when you can get closer to the end zone and give yourself more options?

They wasted a lot of time.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

There is no such thing as smoke and mirrors whenever it comes to a record stop trying to downplay it

I'm not trying to downplay the record John. Everyone who can think objectively could see the way they were winning was not sustainable. By "smoke and mirrors", I meant there was definitely something "off" and things were definitely more difficult than a 13-3 record would indicate otherwise. The fact they achieved that record was remarkable.

Compare games 1-6 with the rest of the season.

16 hours ago, arcane said:

There's a reason that Bellichick starts from scratch with, and harps on, fundamentals and situational awareness, more than any coach I've ever seen. And it's no coincidence his teams were so COMPETENT, even when you account for having the GOAT QB. The Bills do not do this well enough. This week they were embarrassing, in fact, and couldn't handle a close, back and forth game when both offenses weren't going to light it up. The problem is, that’s NFL football. Even the Chiefs with Andy Reid and Pat Mahomes, often find themselves in a slog. They win them. We don’t. There are a million people to blame, and a million tiny reasons why it keeps happening. But these guys need to learn that this is what football is, and they need to learn to be comfortable executing the boring stuff in those situations.

Josh is at the forefront of that. He was doing just fine in the first half, it looked like the second Jets game last year - accept that you aren't going to dunk on these guys, and dink on them instead. Even the first pick - it looks like he didn't have a rushing lane or an open receiver, so he heaved one up in hopes of a flag, and if it's picked, it's basically a punt. That's fine. I guess he decided he was done beating the Jets the way you are supposed to in the third quarter though, and he put on a display of the least-clutch, least-in-control quarterbacking I have seen from him since he was a guy I was convinced we'd be moving on from. @Shaw66's worries about Josh were on full display today - the kid could be the best in the world if he wanted to. It's year 6. I don't think he wants to. 

If you fumble a snap, fall on it. don't run straight at Quinnen Williams to try and get that extra half of a yard. Just sit on it. If the throw isn't there, don't force it. Put it in the dirt, live to play another down. Josh, you are human, and you need to be a quarterback for this team to go anywhere. Not whatever the hell that was. This game was all lined up to play out like last year’s home game vs. the Jets – the Bills would have found their way to 20 points, and would have left with a 20-13 win. Josh didn’t want it that way I guess. He’s taken this class 10 times, so I’m not sure it’s a lesson he’s capable of learning.

I am not trying to infer that Dorsey is perfect – but he was doing what all the film-heads said you have to do to beat the Jets. Josh is the one that bailed. Yeah, that draw play in OT was mind-numbing. Anti-clutch on all levels. 0-5 in OT. These guys are great when they are great. If they are drawn into the muck, they are as bad as any bad team can be. Whatever they are doing to teach composure and fundamentals, it seems to work less each year. They are on a timer and need to get this figured out.

You know, as I think about that last paragraph more, if Dorsey can’t keep Allen on track, it doesn’t matter what his plays look like. In 2020 Allen threw 10 picks. He’s a third of the way there after one game. In theory it’s possible to stop this.

Our safeties are old. Our defense has some great players that will make big plays this year, but they will not be a top 5 defense purely because of their personnel. Poyer struggled to tackle Allen Lazard. That is disturbing. They will try to get Kirksey worked up as quickly as possible I think. Bernard got lost too often. I am not particularly worried about the unit in today’s NFL, unless Josh plays like this every week. Then they will need to be better, they will need to be near perfect. But against teams that aren’t the Jets, I saw things that make me think the D will be fine on balance.

The Jets clearly know how to stifle Allen to a degree unmatched by any other team. I think Saleh took that 2020 game personally. And I think he’s put together a defense worthy of the talk they’ve been getting. This is not an excuse, as the Bills still should have beaten them.

The Jets have likely lost Rodgers for the year based on what I saw. Either way, when he threw that first pass  away, I wondered aloud how on earth that guy is going to make it through one full NFL game, let alone a season. He looked beyond shot. Their Super Bowl aspirations were probably a mirage, unless they really are the 85 Bears.

It’s a long season and nobody else on the Bills schedule can play defense that well. I’m not sure exactly who handled what well and poorly, the tape will tell us. But this offense is going to be able to move the ball and do damage against most teams. My concern is not that we have a bad team, I don’t think we do. It’s not that we won’t win a lot of games, I saw enough tonight to think we will. This game will be a distant memory in November, the Bengals and Chiefs will say the same thing. But I am starting to be concerned that they aren’t just drawing insane streaks of bad luck at bad times, or enduring fluky gaffes that surely won’t/can’t happen again. I’m starting to be concerned that it’s been too long, games like this keep popping up here and there, and players will start to be convinced in their core that it won’t be overcome. Because then things might will get ugly.

In the NFL, it’s usually true that things aren’t as good as they feel after a win, and aren’t as bad as they seem after a loss. That’s probably true here too, but there is a clock ticking and at this point nobody is denying that they can hear it.

People keep saying this but it's no where near accurate. He rolled out of the pocket and there was nobody that close to him. At worst the closest defender would have met him about a yard from the first down marker and that's because he slowed to make the poor decision to throw it. If he just went it was easy first down. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
Stupid phone

15 hours ago, NY to VA to NV to TX to AZ said:

The team is just a bunch of losers, it’s the culture, the club, the city…they get a quarterback after 20 years of irrelevance and the best they can do is hire a defensive minded coach and let go of the offensive coach that made the team and quarterback good. I totally understand why the media says Diggs wants to leave, it’s because he does…as it seems right now, every team in the AFC East has a better shot to make it to the post season. They just lost to a back up qb!!! And not even a good back-up!!!! The Bills “premier quarterback” lost to a back up quarterback and it’s not the first time. Hell, last year they almost lost to a third string quarterback in the playoffs…WTF!!! It really appears that what the national media says about the team and the narrative about the quarterback is the truth and we are just too fanatical to see it. Same thing year in and year out.

This is now 3 bad games straight, the dolphin sort of win vs 3rd string qb, the bengal ass kicking,

and this jet embarrassment. Something is wrong for sure.

• Thank you (+1) 1

The whole thing is now what? I mean does this piss us off, wake us up and spark a run of 8 straight wins? Or do we just implode here, blow it all up and end up ruining a team that should have won a championship? I mean it feels like this is a legitimate crossroads here. The response here might be a turning point of this franchise 

I ran the original post through chatGPT, asking for a summary in 75 words or less:

The author criticizes the Bills' performance, highlighting their lack of focus on fundamentals and situational awareness, unlike Coach Bellichick's approach. Despite Josh Allen's initial good performance, his later decisions questioned his commitment to excellence. Mistakes, especially in OT, show a lack of composure. The defense, while having notable players, isn't top-tier due to personnel limitations. The Jets effectively countered Allen, possibly influenced by past games. Despite challenges, the author remains hopeful for the season, but expresses concern that persistent mistakes might impact team morale. The NFL’s unpredictability means things could change, but time is running out.

And in case you have very limited time, here’s the OP in haiku form:

Bills falter, time ticks,
Jets counter, Allen's path slips,
Hope dims, clock clicks quick.

Edited by stevestojan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.