RIP Gil Brandt (Dallas Cowboys)

Gregg

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Sad.  Still listened to him on Sirius. His content was lacking in todays nfl but I always listened with an open mind and much respect.

RIP legend 

I had not heard him since last year, not listened to the Sirius channel as much recently but I liked his wisdom and honestly his kindness....he new the game was competitive but everyone is a human.  He always knew peoples hometowns which was sort of annoying but also impressive when he would throw out some other town you never heard of without looking it up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

RIP, Sir.

Is he in the Hall of Fame?

Contributor

GIL BRANDT

Class of 2019

https://apnews.com/article/dallas-cowboys-gil-brandt-obituary-270891c7967fe5dba9f4a2912d9b01e3

DALLAS (AP) — Gil Brandt, overshadowed by coach Tom Landry and general manager Tex Schramm as part of the trio that built the Dallas Cowboys into “America’s Team” in the 1970s, has died. He was 91.

The Pro Football Hall of Fame said Brandt died Thursday morning. No cause of death was given, but Brandt had been in declining health in recent years.

Brandt was the player personnel director alongside the stoic, fedora-wearing Landry and media-savvy Schramm, but had to wait almost 30 years longer to get into the Hall of Fame.

By the time Brandt was enshrined as a contributor, it was as much for his ability to remain involved in the NFL by adapting to the social media age as for the innovation the Cowboys brought to the draft process with computers in the early 1960s.

• Thank you (+1) 1

At one point even as recent as let’s say 10 years ago, he would predict the draft. Meaning very few of the guys he identified would not get drafted. He was part of the science of drafting .. even as it’s still unpredictable. Years ago the misses were big and the process was a wildly  underwhelming. 

He was an innovator and had a huge impact. “Is what it amounts to”.. a previous poster nailed his classic phrase. 

Sad. Always enjoyed listening to him on Sirius XM. Haven't heard him there for some time and was assuming his health had declined to where he was no longer able, but never heard for sure. 

Before hearing him on XM, I had never heard of him. Always knew of Tex Schram as the GM and didn't realize Gil's involvement. Hearing from him over the last many years on the radio I came to understand and now wondered who was more responsible, Tex or Gil, for the Cowboys being good for so many years.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.