Ben VanSumeren LB - hope to steal

Yantha

Hello all,

Haven't posted here in a while, but as I'm watching preseason, I'm compelled to gage your opinion on the linebacker position.  Specifically I'm looking at Ben VanSumeren, UDFA that was picked up by Philly.  I had hoped the Bills would land him and he posted a phenomenal pro day (see below).

ScreenShot2023-08-26at10_31_57AM.png.21fa59dfd6fafeb2679d401a91dcabe4.png

Now, in the preseason, he's the leading tackler and has been all over the field (see below).

ScreenShot2023-08-26at10_23_59AM.thumb.png.45bc9da924cf4a77dd4f15b857057f17.png

All signs point to VanSumeren being relegated to the Eagles PS  since they have great depth at the position.  I think that this kid is worth poaching!  

Who to cut to make room might be debatable, but I'm thinking it's time to move on from Klein or Matakevich.  VanSumeren would be an ace on special teams.

I realize there might be "cut casualties" of more seasoned vets but I like this kid's amazing upside.  Thoughts appreciated. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I’ll never understand why teams don’t take a 7th round flier on these sort of athletic prospects. I remember how everyone here was screaming to draft Jason Peters because he tested off the charts at his size. We were lucky to get him as an UDFA. If Beane is happy with his preseason tape, make room for this guy if he’s cut.

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

So far he is just an athletic standout still learning the linebacker position. Needs a year or two on a practice squad. Bills need a middle linebacker NOW so ,no, I wouldn't poach him to take up a roster spot. 

I agree. Our first SB window is closing rapidly.  We need someone now and we will definitely be poaching/ signing someone Tuesday. Relying on Spector, Bernard and Dodson was a mistake. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Yantha said:

Hello all,

Haven't posted here in a while, but as I'm watching preseason, I'm compelled to gage your opinion on the linebacker position.  Specifically I'm looking at Ben VanSumeren, UDFA that was picked up by Philly.  I had hoped the Bills would land him and he posted a phenomenal pro day (see below).

Now, in the preseason, he's the leading tackler and has been all over the field (see below).

All signs point to VanSumeren being relegated to the Eagles PS  since they have great depth at the position.  I think that this kid is worth poaching!  

Who to cut to make room might be debatable, but I'm thinking it's time to move on from Klein or Matakevich.  VanSumeren would be an ace on special teams.

I realize there might be "cut casualties" of more seasoned vets but I like this kid's amazing upside.  Thoughts appreciated. 

If he is over 220# I can’t see how he fits into this linebacking corp

• Haha (+1) 1

The front office should also be looking at who the Eagles release on their OL, and try to stash on the PS.  Look at what Jeff Stoutland has done with developing talent.  A prime example is Fred Johnson, they likely found another hidden gem to develop.  With the Eagles front office and scouting staff, the Bills should be looking to get OL help starting there.  They have the best OL coaching staff in the league, by a mile.

26 years old, 6'-7", 330 lbs, and they found this guy on the waiver wire. 

"But this is a typical Howie Roseman move. Find a guy on the scrap heap, send him to study at Stoutland U and find yourself a player."

This is what consistent contenders do, find developmental depth at a controlled cost.  I hope the Bills have some stories like this guy coming out of camp moving forward.  

https://www.nbcsportsphiladelphia.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/how-eagles-fred-johnson-came-out-of-nowhere-to-earn-roster-spot-and-new-contract/533676/

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, YodaMan79 said:

The front office should also be looking at who the Eagles release on their OL, and try to stash on the PS.  Look at what Jeff Stoutland has done with developing talent.  A prime example is Fred Johnson, they likely found another hidden gem to develop.  With the Eagles front office and scouting staff, the Bills should be looking to get OL help starting there.  They have the best OL coaching staff in the league, by a mile.

26 years old, 6'-7", 330 lbs, and they found this guy on the waiver wire. 

"But this is a typical Howie Roseman move. Find a guy on the scrap heap, send him to study at Stoutland U and find yourself a player."

This is what consistent contenders do, find developmental depth at a controlled cost.  I hope the Bills have some stories like this guy coming out of camp moving forward.  

https://www.nbcsportsphiladelphia.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/how-eagles-fred-johnson-came-out-of-nowhere-to-earn-roster-spot-and-new-contract/533676/

We have the same situation here with Van Denmark.

1 hour ago, CNYfan said:

The *Patriots reserve linebackers looked better than our Frontline guys, last night 

Was going to say same thing. I think Beane is going to grab a Pat after cuts or trade for one now. 

2 hours ago, Yantha said:

Hello all,

For us to get him without a trade, not only would Philly have to ditch him, but all of the teams in front of us on the waiver order would have to pass.  20 something teams.  Like an Isabella but for the defense.  

if we trade for him it might get interesting.  If we pick him up off waivers it would be a very bad sign.

36 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

For us to get him without a trade, not only would Philly have to ditch him, but all of the teams in front of us on the waiver order would have to pass.  20 something teams.  

Try circulating a vicious false rumour about him...you know, like Belichick would.  That ought to be the 'kiss of death' in terms of other teams' interests.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

2 hours ago, Herb Nightly said:

So far he is just an athletic standout still learning the linebacker position. Needs a year or two on a practice squad. Bills need a middle linebacker NOW so ,no, I wouldn't poach him to take up a roster spot. 

Agreed, and I'm not saying hes a starter but I'd replace a guy like special teams LB Matakevich with this guy due to his upside.  He could develop into a solid to high end backup linebacker, possibly more.

From an Eagles focused reporter giving a breakdown on all 90 guys on the roster:

LB Ben VanSumeren: The UDFA linebacker had a million tackles against the Colts — OK, 17 — but he’s still a raw player. He’s relatively new to the linebacker position and it’s obvious. But he has some potential as a future special teams contributor. I’d keep him on the practice squad.

8 minutes ago, YodaMan79 said:

From an Eagles focused reporter giving a breakdown on all 90 guys on the roster:

LB Ben VanSumeren: The UDFA linebacker had a million tackles against the Colts — OK, 17 — but he’s still a raw player. He’s relatively new to the linebacker position and it’s obvious. But he has some potential as a future special teams contributor. I’d keep him on the practice squad.

Buuuuut....  that reporter is writing with respect to the Eagles roster of talented LB with likely starters:

Haasson Reddick

Nakobe Dean

Nolan Smith

*and solid depth

VanSumeren is penciled in as the third team MLB.  

He'd be third team MLB here too.... but would just replace Matakevich on special teams (and have upside to push for a second team role this year).

We still need a STARTER, but I'd cut Klein to make room for a starter....

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.