The best 53-man roster projection

Giuseppe Tognarelli

Here is the correct 53-man roster with 16 practice squad selections included in parentheses. 😉 No gymnastics with Von Miller; he makes this roster.

25 offense, 25 defense

8 offense, 8 defense for practice squad

Allen, Allen*

(Barkley)

Cook, Harris, Murray, Gilliam

(Mims)

Kincaid, Knox, Morris

(Sternberger)

Diggs, Davis, Harty, Sherfield, Shakir, Isabella, Shorter

(Shavers, Johnson)

Dawkins, Van Demark

McGovern, Edwards

Morse, Bates

Torrence

Brown, Quessenberry*

(Gouraige, Boettger, Broeker)

Bass, Martin, Ferguson

Miller, Rousseau, Floyd, Epenesa, Basham

Oliver, Jones, Ford, Phillips, Settle

(Lawson, Ankou, Jonathan)

Milano, Bernard, Williams, Klein, Matakevich

(Spector)

White, Jackson, Benford, Elam

Johnson, Neal

(Ingram, Austin)

Poyer, Hyde, Rapp, Hamlin

(Lewis, Marlowe)

Yep, Dodson was cut.

*Bills should look for a better backup QB and better backup RT after cuts. No external MLB solution on the horizon this year.

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I don't know if I see Poona Ford Making this roster, he has had a rough time of it.

Agree. Ford looks terrible so far.

And I've been beating this drum for a few days and I'll continue. Unless he makes it back to practice soon and is healthy I don't see Damien Harris making this team. Having a RB with habitually sore knees is like owning a Corvette that has transmission issues. Looks pretty, but isn't going to take you anywhere.

He's missed a lot of time now and I personally feel like Murray passed him up...and Mims is right there too.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Agree. Ford looks terrible so far.

And I've been beating this drum for a few days and I'll continue. Unless he makes it back to practice soon and is healthy I don't see Damien Harris making this team. Having a RB with habitually sore knees is like owning a Corvette that has transmission issues. Looks pretty, but isn't going to take you anywhere.

He's missed a lot of time now and I personally feel like Murray passed him up...and Mims is right there too.

It sucks, but True. I really wanted to have him for short yardage so Josh isn't tempted to pick up 3rd and 3 or less on  his own.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Here is the correct 53-man roster with 16 practice squad selections included in parentheses. 😉 No gymnastics with Von Miller; he makes this roster.

25 offense, 25 defense

Allen, Allen*

(Barkley)

(Mims)

Kincaid, Knox, Morris

(Sternberger)

(Shavers, Johnson)

Dawkins, Van Demark

McGovern, Edwards

Morse, Bates

Torrence

Brown, Quessenberry*

(Gouriage, Boettger, Broeker)

Bass, Martin, Ferguson

(Spector)

Johnson, Neal

(Ingram, Austin)

(Lewis, Marlowe)

Yep, Dodson was cut.

*Bills should look for a better backup QB and better backup RT after cuts. No external MLB solution on the horizon this year.

I agree with practically 100% of this.

But either Lawson or Dodson will be here on the 53 with Von Miller on the Reserve/PUP list for the first 4 games.

I'll believe Dodson is in danger when I see it though. I know he was pulled in favor of Klein after a dismal first drive. But going from presumed starter to not even making the roster is a big leap.

Edit: Without knowing how bad Bernard's pull was, there's always the possibility he goes on Reserve/PUP as well as trying to come back from a hamstring pull can be tricky. 

I also see a small possibility that Boogie Basham is traded. Epenesa only has one season left on his deal, so there would be no value there.

But with Lawson still running with the 1st and 2nd teams and us not keeping more than 5 DE's when Miller returns, I could foresee a scenario where we feel we can spare one. And if someone offers a pick for Basham in a "change of scenery would do him good" type of deal, I could see it there at the DE position.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I agree with practically 100% of this.

But either Lawson or Dodson will be here on the 53 with Von Miller on the Reserve/PUP list for the first 4 games.

I'll believe Dodson is in danger when I see it though. I know he was pulled in favor of Klein after a dismal first drive. But going from presumed starter to not even making the roster is a big leap.

I personally wouldn't let Von hit the field until November. November and December is when the playoffs are made and we want him fresh for the playoffs.

• Agree 2

I'm not sure that seven receivers make the 53.  I wouldn't be surprised if one of the interior o-line guys gets traded.  There are multiple teams that are in bad shape and/or have had injuries on the o-line.  Edwards is position flexible and might be enough to get a workable LB from a team that is desperate for o-line help.  

53 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't see 7 receivers.

Yeah, I go back and forth. Part of me thinks Isabella has forced his case and earned a spot on the roster. The other side of me thinks the team viewed him as having a ceiling of the Practice Squad.

Every season fans fall in love with a fringe roster guy who has performed well in the Pre-Season. And more often than not, it doesn't matter because the team has plans and investments in other players and he was always just viewed as a camp body by the decision makers.

And ultimately, this is a guy who was a 2nd Round Pick that the drafting team gave up on after 3 seasons. He got a change in scenery in Baltimore and then they released him too. That kind of stink doesn't come off with 1 halfway decent Pre-Season.

I think they know what the league views him as right now and aren't worried about him getting scooped up if released. 

• Like (+1) 1

This exercise is getting painful. A lot riding on Davis and Knox having breakout (bounce back) seasons. Because that OL, that WR depth, untested RB…yeesh. On the other side, no reason to think that DL can control the line of scrimmage. LBs, forget it. Jackson can be anointed CB2, because Elam is lost. Fingers crossed Hyde and Poyer can hold up.

20 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Im starting to think Shakir is on the bubble and it might be close to popping.

Not happening. He consistently ran with the 1's and 2's all Training Camp and both Pre-Season games. He performed well in spot duty last season, they invested two picks in him just last year, and they've talked multiple times about wanting to get him more involved in his 2nd year.

Fans around here want to make him a non-factor. The team values him and his potential growth. There's no bubble to burst because he was never on one. Wouldn't shock me if he's even inactive in the last Pre-Season game because they don't want him getting hurt.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

25 offense, 25 defense

Allen, Allen*

(Barkley)

(Mims)

Kincaid, Knox, Morris

(Sternberger)

(Shavers, Johnson)

Dawkins, Van Demark

McGovern, Edwards

Morse, Bates

Torrence

Brown, Quessenberry*

(Gouriage, Boettger, Broeker)

Bass, Martin, Ferguson

(Spector)

Johnson, Neal

(Ingram, Austin)

(Lewis, Marlowe)

Yep, Dodson was cut.

While something has to give between the 11 guys we have along the DL, I don't think Shaq is one of them.  He has played well and brings something to the rotation the others don't.  Personally I firmly believe they would cut Ford before they did Shaq.  

Dodson could be a cut, but that is going to depend on Bernard and his hammy.  I doubt they cut Dodson before they know 1) Bernard is ready week 1 and 2) He can play the position.  I think they will keep 6 at WR and send Shorter to the PS which makes room for Dodson.

Outside of that, I agree on all other positions here.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

45 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I'm not sure that seven receivers make the 53.  I wouldn't be surprised if one of the interior o-line guys gets traded.  There are multiple teams that are in bad shape and/or have had injuries on the o-line.  Edwards is position flexible and might be enough to get a workable LB from a team that is desperate for o-line help.  

Veteran guys on 1 year deals don't get traded unless it's something they personally want to do.

It's a bad look for future Free Agents to go "thanks for choosing us amongst your other options, now we're going to send you somewhere against your will".

And I think Edwards is too valuable to us to trade. Bates is the first man up if an injury occurs to Morse. We need him if there's injuries along the line. Doesn't make sense to say "we finally have some decent depth on the interior O-Line, let's get rid of that". 

Also anyone he would get us in a trade at MLB isn't going to be such a talent that McDernott would play them over guys who have spent the past couple seasons in his Defense. He's not a plug and play type of coach, especially with the complexity of his D and that position in particular.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

Anderson needs to be on our 53. Can’t let him slip through the cracks for a guy like Q

One of Anderson or Van Demark will stick and I think Van Demark has the edge. They aren't going to go with 2 OT's who have a combined 0 regular season snaps between them as the guys behind Dawkins and Brown.

Like it or not, Q is going to be here. Any hopes that the team viewed him as negatively as everyone on this board does went out the window when they chose to give him another contract this offseason. Any hopes he wouldn't be here went out the window when Shell retired and Doyle got hurt.

Save a shocking, extemely unlikely, uncharacteristic last minute signing of an aging veteran still out there, Q is on the 53 without question.

• Vomit 2
  • Angry 1
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

While something has to give between the 11 guys we have along the DL, I don't think Shaq is one of them.  He has played well and brings something to the rotation the others don't.  Personally I firmly believe they would cut Ford before they did Shaq.  

Dodson could be a cut, but that is going to depend on Bernard and his hammy.  I doubt they cut Dodson before they know 1) Bernard is ready week 1 and 2) He can play the position.  I think they will keep 6 at WR and send Shorter to the PS which makes room for Dodson.

Outside of that, I agree on all other positions here.  

I know a lot of players don't get scooped up, but I think Shorter would be one of them. Cut him and he's gone. Too many traits.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

One of Anderson or Van Demark will stick and I think Van Demark has the edge. They aren't going to go with 2 OT's who have a combined 0 regular season snaps between them as the guys behind Dawkins and Brown.

Like it or not, Q is going to be here. Any hopes that the team viewed him as negatively as everyone on this board does went out the window when they chose to give him another contract this offseason. Any hopes he wouldn't be here went out the window when Shell retired and Doyle got hurt.

Save a shocking, extemely unlikely, uncharacteristic last minute signing of an aging veteran still out there, Q is on the 53 without question.

Anderson and Van Demark both need to make it because they’ve earned the spots with their play. They are young and have potential to be future starters. It’s moronic to keep an aging incompetent vet over potential cheap future starters. But this regime usually goes the latter route so I won’t be surprised if we do cut bait and let another team reap the benefits while we kick the tires and more of the same old has beens and never weres lol

• Agree 3

Just now, NeverOutNick said:

Anderson and Van Demark both need to make it because they’ve earned the spots with their play. They are young and have potential to be future starters. It’s moronic to keep an aging incompetent vet over potential cheap future starters. But this regime usually goes the latter route so I won’t be surprised if we do cut bait and let another team reap the benefits while we kick the tires and more of the same old has beens and never weres lol

I'm surprised by the Anderson talk. I haven't seen much from him or heard people making much of a case for him.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I know a lot of players don't get scooped up, but I think Shorter would be one of them. Cut him and he's gone. Too many traits.

True, and its a risk.  But heading into the draft, Shorter wasn't even a lock to get drafted.  So I don't think he is a lock to be gone, I mean another team would have to want him on their active 53, its not so cut and dry.

17 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I'm surprised by the Anderson talk. I haven't seen much from him or heard people making much of a case for him.

I knew he was a hanger-on the P/S last year but hardly knew a thing about him. What I know about him is 2 weeks of game film and that's what is telling me this guy might be the future after Morse.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

25 offense, 25 defense

Allen, Allen*

(Barkley)

(Mims)

Kincaid, Knox, Morris

(Sternberger)

(Shavers, Johnson)

Dawkins, Van Demark

McGovern, Edwards

Morse, Bates

Torrence

Brown, Quessenberry*

(Gouraige, Boettger, Broeker)

Bass, Martin, Ferguson

(Spector)

Johnson, Neal

(Ingram, Austin)

(Lewis, Marlowe)

Yep, Dodson was cut.

Funny, I was lying awake thinking about this last night, and I also concluded that we could cut both Dodson and Spector.

I kept Lewis ahead of Isabella for ST value, and did the gymkata to keep Shaq.  So yeah, nicely done!

Now, to look at every other teams' #2 & #3 QB...

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

I see you kept Matakevich and I assume that's for his Special teams play, yet you cut Cam Lewis who led the team in ST tackles last season.

ST Tackles last year

Lewis - 13

Neal - 11

Matakevich - 8

Not knocking your roster, just wondering what the thinking is there.

Matakevich seems to be a prized possession of this staff. ST captain kind of dude. I think he's seen as a team leader.

Lewis was the final cut, btw. Tough. Essentially kept Isabella over him.

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli
  • Agree 1

Okay, read 'em and weep: one fan's assessment of kinda likely soon to be cut qb's that could be an improvement

Matt Corral-Carolina, never got a chance

Tyson Bagent- R- CHI,, DII Shepherd College, 4,000+ yards and 40+ td's, and lighting it up in camp

Jake Browning-CIN, battling Trevor Seimien, might keep 3

Dorian Thompson Robinson-R-CLE; solid in pre-season start

Skylar Thompson-MIA; they kept 3 last year, but he can play in Buffalo in the Winter!

Sam Darnold-SF; Bonus points for being a buddy of Josh?

And last and least...Jake Fromm!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Veteran guys on 1 year deals don't get traded unless it's something they personally want to do.

It's a bad look for future Free Agents to go "thanks for choosing us amongst your other options, now we're going to send you somewhere against your will".

And I think Edwards is too valuable to us to trade. Bates is the first man up if an injury occurs to Morse. We need him if there's injuries along the line. Doesn't make sense to say "we finally have some decent depth on the interior O-Line, let's get rid of that". 

Also anyone he would get us in a trade at MLB isn't going to be such a talent that McDernott would play them over guys who have spent the past couple seasons in his Defense. He's not a plug and play type of coach, especially with the complexity of his D and that position in particular.

Desperate teams do unconventional things.  A guy that may be caught up in a numbers game could be available in a trade rather than losing him through waivers.  Edwards on a one year deal may be worth it to a team that has a disaster brewing on their o-line.  From what I've seen from AJ and Dotson, knowledge of the defense isn't helping them.  After McD watches the latest game video, the realization that they have no MLB on the roster will lead them to take some action.  They have brought in multiple guys on one year deals in the past and used them when necessary.

5 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Desperate teams do unconventional things.  A guy that may be caught up in a numbers game could be available in a trade rather than losing him through waivers.  Edwards on a one year deal may be worth it to a team that has a disaster brewing on their o-line.  From what I've seen from AJ and Dotson, knowledge of the defense isn't helping them.  After McD watches the latest game video, the realization that they have no MLB on the roster will lead them to take some action.  They have brought in multiple guys on one year deals in the past and used them when necessary.

You're missing one of the main points here. You don't trade a veteran FA who just chose you amongst other options and then take that choice away from him a couple months later. It sets a bad precedent going forward for prospective FA's that are considering us.

"If I choose Buffalo over X team, they may just trade me away to literally any team in the league after I sign with them"

Teams don't do that to quality offseason signees. The only way that happens is if a team is offering a better position for Edwards and Edwards wants to. Otherwise, it looks bad to future FA's.

I did not miss the point.  Edwards is an injury risk journeyman o-lineman that had to settle for a low end one year deal.  He may be one concussion from retirement.  He picked the Bills because it is a winning team and he thought he would have a chance to start.  The drafting of Torrence ended his chance to start.  Guys that sign one year deals hope to play their way into a longer term contract with the same or other teams.  If Edwards has the chance to ride the pine in Buffalo or play somewhere else, I bet he would want to play and get some playing time on video.

Players understand the transient nature of the league and are less sensitive to being waived or traded than fans may believe.

RB could be a concern if the knee issue with Harris is chronic.  I don't think you can go into the season with Cook and Murray and really nothing else.  Losing Hynes is very unfortunate, both in terms of his play as a RB and as a KR/PR.  May need two players to fill his roles, which hurts from a roster perspective.

15 hours ago, HiMark said:

Okay, read 'em and weep: one fan's assessment of kinda likely soon to be cut qb's that could be an improvement

Matt Corral-Carolina, never got a chance

Tyson Bagent- R- CHI,, DII Shepherd College, 4,000+ yards and 40+ td's, and lighting it up in camp

Jake Browning-CIN, battling Trevor Seimien, might keep 3

Dorian Thompson Robinson-R-CLE; solid in pre-season start

Skylar Thompson-MIA; they kept 3 last year, but he can play in Buffalo in the Winter!

Sam Darnold-SF; Bonus points for being a buddy of Josh?

And last and least...Jake Fromm!

Thompson was 18-45 for 220 yards, took four sacks for 31 yards, and threw one TD and two INTs. The Dolphins had 189 passing yards on 49 dropbacks, and 31 of those dropbacks resulted in incompletions, sacks, or INTs. Also, 3.86 yards per passing play is absolutely dreadful.

So no, he did not prove he can play in Buffalo in Winter. Most of Miami's points came off of Bills' turnovers. 

6 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Thompson was 18-45 for 220 yards, took four sacks for 31 yards, and threw one TD and two INTs. The Dolphins had 189 passing yards on 49 dropbacks, and 31 of those dropbacks resulted in incompletions, sacks, or INTs. Also, 3.86 yards per passing play is absolutely dreadful.

So no, he did not prove he can play in Buffalo in Winter. Most of Miami's points came off of Bills' turnovers. 

Right, it was meant as a joke about Buffalo QB's needing to play in rough weather.  I was at that game, he put up a hell of a fight, stats nonwithstanding.

I should also say I don't really want Jake Fromm.  But he could get cut. 

Also, Do you think Kyle Allen is a better option than Skylar?  I am undecided.

3 minutes ago, HiMark said:

Right, it was meant as a joke about Buffalo QB's needing to play in rough weather.  I was at that game, he put up a hell of a fight, stats nonwithstanding.

I should also say I don't really want Jake Fromm.  But he could get cut. 

Also, Do you think Kyle Allen is a better option than Skylar?  I am undecided.

I don't honestly know who is better. Allen looks bad, but he's had a handful of decent games over his career. I don't know enough about Skylar other than the fact that he's looked pretty ineffective throwing to a loaded WR corps. But he's also really young.

Edited by dave mcbride

Just now, dave mcbride said:

I don't honestly know who is better. Allen looks bad, but he's had a handful of decent games over his career. I don't know enough about Skylar other than the fact that he's looked pretty ineffective throwing to a loaded WR corps. But he's also really young.

Tyson Bagent of the Bears is the guy I want.  In a camp fight with PJ Walker and that Nate Peterman

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.