Practice fight (8/15) - Helmets are swinging

4 hours ago, snamsnoops said:

Im Ok with our MLB being angry.... I would rather it be against other teams, but it shows some FIRE! This has been lacking for sometime, competiveness brings this out and I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. Self control is a small part of it :)....

Poyer has led the team in toughness and physical play. If the MLB now has it too, then all the better. 

However, I'd say that Dodson is at best our 3rd best LB after Milano and Williams. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

Not sure how I feel about this take. i like at the end you mentioned the part about self control, everything else I’m not on board with. I don’t agree that guys have to be angry, in your face, yelling, etc to show they are competitive. Tim Duncan is said to be one of the most competitive basketball players ever but you never really knew it on the court. Same with Jerry Rice-SUPER competitive but just went about his business.

it’s professional football, they are all ultra competitive, but getting into fights is just stupid. All things like this do during a game is gets a penalty against your team and the player might get ejected.

Don’t take this as an attack on your post, that’s not the intention, but I see this said a lot and I don’t agree with it, that’s all

My view is that for some athletes who excel at head-to-head collision sports, they are tapping into a hormonally life-or-death level of competitiveness. Losing is like chemically unacceptable. Or psychologically, if you prefer, their egos reject losing in a desperate/violent way. I've played with guys who were obviously on another level, and they were often edgy pricks if things weren't unattainably perfect on the pitch. 

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

I did not have a TV in college or even until after I married.

Only TV I had was one in dorm lounge in college which I typically watched at night to watch Johnny Carson while doing my homework.

(I actually got two $50 checks from Johnny Carson Productions for jokes I sent in)

Only other TVs I watched were in bars to typically watch football when I was not working on Sundays and when I watched ST:TNG with some friends at their house.

College was also like TV blackout for me.  I said in the Paul Reubens RIP thread there were two shows I watched - we used to get up hungover Sat morning and gather to watch Pee Wee's Playhouse, and used to watch George Michael Sports Machine on Sun night.

Do you remember what the jokes were you sent in?

53 minutes ago, stevewin said:

College was also like TV blackout for me.  I said in the Paul Reubens RIP thread there were two shows I watched - we used to get up hungover Sat morning and gather to watch Pee Wee's Playhouse, and used to watch George Michael Sports Machine on Sun night.

Do you remember what the jokes were you sent in?

I sent in more than 20.  I was surprised by first check and they did not identify which one they were purchasing. 

Some of the jokes I adapted for my customized Mixology Book.  It was a spiral bound commercial book I bought at Goodwill store. I had a part time mixing drinks at a bar on weekends and for each drink I had at least original drink joke on opposite page which I use to tell my customers to increase my tips.  I also wrote notes and alternates to recipes on it as well.

There was a bank near corner of main street campus and I brought check there and after speaking with manager cashed it who made a copy of ID.  When I received next one cashier apparently had heard of it she asked me if I was a writing student at UB and I told her I was Honors Mathematics major and she said "Interesting.  I read it a magazine that Johnny Carson Productions bought scripts from independents but not jokes? May I make a copy of the check for my collection?  I said "You can keep it since checks are not returned to me since I do not have an account."  Never got another check or ever heard joke on Johnny Carson but they may have been used on another production.

I worked dozens of jobs during college since my scholarships only paid fully for first year and none of my expenses although I got some work study jobs.  Worked in computer center, doing computer coding for a professor, Wilkeson Pub, Courier Express, North Buffalo Food Cooperative, UB libraries, UB athletics (I did physical therapy massage), ESL summer teacher, warehouse loading and many jobs which only lasted days or a weekend.

Edited by Limeaid
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, BrainwashedBillsFan said:

I’m sick of this “Spencer has a mean streak” yet he has not played well at all. I don’t care how “mean” he is and tbh he looks like a big 🐱 

The only 'mean' streak I've witnessed from Brown is when I've seen him yapping at some shorter players trying to make fun of them.  Maybe that works in college but in the NFL you want to throw opponent off their game you outplay them.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

The only 'mean' streak I've witnessed from Brown is when I've seen him yapping at some shorter players trying to make fun of them.  Maybe that works in college but in the NFL you want to throw opponent off their game you outplay them.

His Father on the other hand...

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Probably have to go for a round with McDermott in the Thunderdome.

244507998_411872597159149_16534241761363

by "a round" I assume you mean "at least 4.5 seconds."

cause i wouldnt make it.  

Shtt, I'd be happy if i still had all my fingers when it was over.   Has nobody ever actually fed that dog?  Sheesh.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, WhoTom said:

The coverage was as good as you could expect, and it wasn't PI. Gabe just beat him that time. It happens to the best DBs now and then.

This isn't true.  

It's a red zone play and Gabe has good separation while the ball is in the air.  Tre is late and then never turns around, runs into Gabe, puts his face in his belly, his left hand on his jersey under his arm and his right arm and hand on the side of Gabe's helmet--all before the ball enters Davis's hands.

image.png.e0e7a6307a9891ebe144fa9912c08342.png

That's a penalty declined TD PI all day. 

image.png.e5e064b63af9da9458b1209ace1c3a3e.png

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

Yeah, you need to watch him a little more then. Unless this is one of those “ the next big play Edmunds makes will be his first” comments. 🙄
Many on this board have mentioned his mean streak and finishing blocks by driving the defender into the ground. Maybe you’re not really watching him or maybe you just look for mistakes to complain about. Not uncommon here. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, In Summary said:

Poyer has led the team in toughness and physical play. If the MLB now has it too, then all the better. 

However, I'd say that Dodson is at best our 3rd best LB after Milano and Williams. 

Williams just needs reps and maybe a little bulking up-bring on the 'protein' supplements 

16 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Hey !
Frontier field aint got one. And I dont want one. you elitist.

Folks he he is NOT speaking for Rochestarians et al.

Just the ones who live in Pittsford and Brighton and Gates , and uh webster.

and possibly Mendon and perinton

But not for the rest of Us !

I haven't lived in the Rochester area for decades but the bit about Pittsford, Brighton, Gates, and Webster sounds about right.  I laughed out loud when I read that.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

Yeah, you need to watch him a little more then. Unless this is one of those “ the next big play Edmunds makes will be his first” comments. 🙄
Many on this board have mentioned his mean streak and finishing blocks by driving the defender into the ground. Maybe you’re not really watching him or maybe you just look for mistakes to complain about. Not uncommon here. 

image.png.b6523f24cdfb7bcdd2f2efc464f42c51.png

Just @AuntieEm How many fingers am I holding up?

Thinkin' of gettin' thicker glasses?

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Hey !
Frontier field aint got one. And I dont want one. you elitist.

Folks he he is NOT speaking for Rochestarians et al.

Just the ones who live in Pittsford and Brighton and Gates , and uh webster.

and possibly Mendon and perinton

But not for the rest of Us !

no...i speak for everyone in our area.  we just tend to be a bit shiner than that old, dusty wny.  

also...did you really lump gates in there like no one would notice?

13 minutes ago, faderphreak said:

I haven't lived in the Rochester area for decades but the bit about Pittsford, Brighton, Gates, and Webster sounds about right.  I laughed out loud when I read that.  

you people are killing me.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, teef said:

no...i speak for everyone in our area.  we just tend to be a bit shiner than that old, dusty wny.  

also...did you really lump gates in there like no one would notice?

One day we will break down that wall of anger and it's gona be glorious!! 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.