Practice fight (8/15) - Helmets are swinging

1 hour ago, snamsnoops said:

Im Ok with our MLB being angry.... I would rather it be against other teams, but it shows some FIRE! This has been lacking for sometime, competiveness brings this out and I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. Self control is a small part of it :)....

Not sure how I feel about this take. i like at the end you mentioned the part about self control, everything else I’m not on board with. I don’t agree that guys have to be angry, in your face, yelling, etc to show they are competitive. Tim Duncan is said to be one of the most competitive basketball players ever but you never really knew it on the court. Same with Jerry Rice-SUPER competitive but just went about his business.

it’s professional football, they are all ultra competitive, but getting into fights is just stupid. All things like this do during a game is gets a penalty against your team and the player might get ejected.

Don’t take this as an attack on your post, that’s not the intention, but I see this said a lot and I don’t agree with it, that’s all

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Of course, I thought that wasn't it tho?  

What do you mean;  African or European swallow?  

What?  I don't know that!  AHHHHH!!! 

I am currently capable of meeting only low expectations. Having a puppy is much like having a baby. 

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

I don’t know how to love this man any more than I do 

What is love?

Baby, don't hurt me

Don't hurt me

No mo

5 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Not sure how I feel about this take. i like at the end you mentioned the part about self control, everything else I’m not on board with. I don’t agree that guys have to be angry, in your face, yelling, etc to show they are competitive. Tim Duncan is said to be one of the most competitive basketball players ever but you never really knew it on the court. Same with Jerry Rice-SUPER competitive but just went about his business.

it’s professional football, they are all ultra competitive, but getting into fights is just stupid. All things like this do during a game is gets a penalty against your team and the player might get ejected.

Don’t take this as an attack on your post, that’s not the intention, but I see this said a lot and I don’t agree with it, that’s all

On top of the fact that the guy usually getting angry is the one who got beat. The fact that it's Dodson, who's not a starting caliber LB in this defense, is not surprise to me, but also disappointing. This seems to indicate that he's...

1. Getting beat

2. Can't handle the pressure

I hope they find a real answer at MLB

12 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

What is love?

Baby, don't hurt me

Don't hurt me

No mo

On top of the fact that the guy usually getting angry is the one who got beat. The fact that it's Dodson, who's not a starting caliber LB in this defense, is not surprise to me, but also disappointing. This seems to indicate that he's...

1. Getting beat

2. Can't handle the pressure

I hope they find a real answer at MLB

I don't know, LeGOATski.   I've been following football for 50+ years.  From what I've seen, players - including good ones - sometimes get into scraps in camp for all sorts of reasons.  I don't think you can read a lot into it.  

• Agree 1

Just now, Limeaid said:

Does reading the screenplay count?

I did a review of it in English class in college but I never saw the film.

Was your curiosity gland removed as some part of a bigger medical procedure?   😋

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I don't know, LeGOATski.   I've been following football for 50+ years.  From what I've seen, players - including good ones - sometimes get into scraps in camp for all sorts of reasons.  I don't think you can read a lot into it.  

I probably just don't like Dodson

6 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Dodson on the incident:

I can't help reading that in Cockney, "Oi, ya go' a loicense to swing an helmet chap?"

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Does reading the screenplay count?

I did a review of it in English class in college but I never saw the film.

Was the Logician sketch in the screenplay? It didn't make the film.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Was your curiosity gland removed as some part of a bigger medical procedure?   😋

I did not have a TV in college or even until after I married.

Only TV I had was one in dorm lounge in college which I typically watched at night to watch Johnny Carson while doing my homework.

(I actually got two $50 checks from Johnny Carson Productions for jokes I sent in)

Only other TVs I watched were in bars to typically watch football when I was not working on Sundays and when I watched ST:TNG with some friends at their house.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Just thinking out loud here. A fight like this isn't exactly the culture coach McD has instilled in the team. 

He's built a tight group built on togetherness, cohesiveness, and love. 

They’ve been hitting each other and only each other for the better part of a month. Conflicts are bound to happen. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

This is gonna be a weird analogy I'll probably take flak for, but I'm reminded of the Tanya Harding situation back in 1994.  She was portrayed in the media as the "toughest" female skater because of her background.  Some of the other ice princesses properly objected, pointing out that they all train hard and power through injuries and take bruising, painful falls; they are all competitive athletes who work hard to win, they just didn't cross the line and kneecap their competitors.

Self control is key.  Football is about playing at the angry edge of losing control - but only between the whistles.  Then there has to be a switch.

So some pushing and shoving and jawing, sure.  But you're right - getting into fights or failing to tamp it down between end of play whistle and the next snap, only hurts the team.

I know training camp fights are different than a game, but don't think that people around the league aren't watching and thinking "if the Bills go ahead and start that guy at MLB, maybe he's a guy we can work on and get him to lose his cool and blow up, gifting us yards".

Edited by Beck Water

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.