Any old time gamers out there

Pine Barrens Mafia

I was close to the perfect age to literally grow up with the development of video games.

Definitely remember PONG, Atari 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision, etc.

My friend's older brother drilled a tiny hole in a quarter, tied string to it, and taught us how to lower it JUST ENOUGH into the PAC MAN machine at a nearby takeout pizza place to get tons of credits and play forever.

One day the owner came out of the kitchen, unplugged the machine, plugged it back in, and told us to get out and don't come back.

LOL.....good memories!

My all time favorite arcade game is probably GALAGA.  LOVE THAT GAME.

I remember playing "KABOOM!" by Activision on Atari 2600 at a friend's house when that was brand new, and it BLEW MY MIND!

71viRtqJqzL.jpg😂

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

i've heard about baldur's gate, but know nothing about it.  i just know it's wildly popular now, (is it on PC?)

it all started with the atari 2600 for me, but the original nintendo console was my jam.  also loved arcades, and i appreciate they're making a comeback.

For the old arcade games, i've started buying the ones found here...https://arcade1up.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=paid&utm_campaign=13440850452&utm_content=126255333987&utm_term=arcade1up&tw_source=google&tw_adid=576851702295&gclid=Cj0KCQjwldKmBhCCARIsAP-0rfw74ic4EZ3azMOhIJi819D-wIVaWCv7NZ4Yv6XEQu-1S_PRSg6Dz38aArUiEALw_wcB

a lot of classic games for a reasonable cost.  i stuck a bunch in our basement, and our kids and their friends love them.

• Like (+1) 1

Remember people gathered around Pac Man in a bar watching someone hit 10K (around 1980). 

When I lived in CA,lived about a make away from the bar where they put the first Pong Game in a bar. The next day,che bar owner called  to tell Nolan Bushnell (Atari) that the machine was broken. Came out to fix it and found that the coin box was full. Bushnell also founded Chuck E. Cheese.  

Jobs and Wozniak met  and got their first $ to start Apple by designing a Breakout game for Atari.Saw Wozniak state that on local access TV to a local Mac user group.

Edited by Wacka

I totally dominated "Prince of Persia" off a 3.5" floppy disk! 

"Kid Chameleon" rocks too! Still play it every once in a while. 

Skip, warp right to da BossLevel:

3 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Remember people gathered around Pac Man in a bar watching someone hit 10K (around 1980). 

When I lived in CA,lived about a make away from the bar where they put the first Pong Game in a bar. The next day,che bar owner called  to tell Nolan Bushnell (Atari) that the machine was broken. Came out to fix it and found that the coin box was full. Bushnell also founded Chuck E. Cheese.  

Jobs and Wozniak met  and got their first $ to start Apple by designing a Breakout game for Atari.Saw Wozniak state that on local access TV to a local Mac user group.

NICE! You're as old as dirt! I remember getting the original "PitFall" on my 2600 (Sears Version) and wore it out. 

Also finding "Easter Eggs" in "Adventure"... I still know the maze and where to hide the chalice, swords, and bat! I can get Alzheimer's and still remember how to get to the credit screen! 

...But wouldn't be able to find my car at the mall...

43 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I was close to the perfect age to literally grow up with the development of video games.

Definitely remember PONG, Atari 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision, etc.

My friend's older brother drilled a tiny hole in a quarter, tied string to it, and taught us how to lower it JUST ENOUGH into the PAC MAN machine at a nearby takeout pizza place to get tons of credits and play forever.

One day the owner came out of the kitchen, unplugged the machine, plugged it back in, and told us to get out and don't come back.

LOL.....good memories!

I remember playing "KABOOM!" by Activision on Atari 2600 at a friend's house when that was brand new, and it BLEW MY MIND!

71viRtqJqzL.jpg😂

Freeway!

s-l640.jpg

91316-Freeway_(1981)_(Activision,_David_

Frogger knockoff!

• Like (+1) 2

Almost 50 and still gaming.   Started with Atari and now have PS5.  Some of my favs..  Pitfall, donkey kong, maro bros on Nintendo.  Had Sega and pretty much only played Double Dribble and Joe Montana Sports talk football.    PS1-5.  Gran Turismo, Call of Duty.    Currently playing DMZ on COD Warzone.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My roommates and I absolutely wore this game out during our freshman year.  Roenick and Ray Borque were unstoppable.

Not so fast about "unstoppable."

I never played that but there's a guy at work, about your age, 10 years younger than me... He's a Chicago Homer,  Blackhawks, Bears, Bulls, & Sox total insufferable... So we get to talking about video games in 1990s and he brings up the NHL game.  He couldn't remember the Sabres defenseman that he used to "tune-up" the star players while his friend would hit the roof in anger, rage-quit... So I started rattling off Sabres players. It was, none other than: Richard Šmehlík. LoL... He said the way the game was set up, he'd use him to thwart his friend's player... AND boy would his friend get mad. 😆 

When goon hockey ruled and the game was real! 😏 None of this pansy stuff today!

From Wiki:  "During the 1999 Stanley Cup finals he was described as "like a human hovercraft... hard to get around!"

I guess the game got it right and my friend sure exploited it to his other friend's chagrin! 😆 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

image.jpeg.f06c9ab40daa8e9aebccf8a6ad19e672.jpeg

🤔

That's REALLY old school

4 hours ago, teef said:

i've heard about baldur's gate, but know nothing about it.  i just know it's wildly popular now, (is it on PC?)

it all started with the atari 2600 for me, but the original nintendo console was my jam.  also loved arcades, and i appreciate they're making a comeback.

For the old arcade games, i've started buying the ones found here...https://arcade1up.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=paid&utm_campaign=13440850452&utm_content=126255333987&utm_term=arcade1up&tw_source=google&tw_adid=576851702295&gclid=Cj0KCQjwldKmBhCCARIsAP-0rfw74ic4EZ3azMOhIJi819D-wIVaWCv7NZ4Yv6XEQu-1S_PRSg6Dz38aArUiEALw_wcB

a lot of classic games for a reasonable cost.  i stuck a bunch in our basement, and our kids and their friends love them.

yes, the original two games in the series came out in 1998 and 2000, I believe. The third game in the series was released last week, and it's really good. it's on both PC and PS5 (september)

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

He knew how to hit you where it really hurt - by erasing your high scores

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Me too but gotta find one that has a good rapid-fire setting.  We used to think it was the button itself, but there are configurable settings in the machine that can be set so no matter how fast you press the button it will fire slowly.  Those Galaga games SUCK

15 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

Me too but gotta find one that has a good rapid-fire setting.  We used to think it was the button itself, but there are configurable settings in the machine that can be set so no matter how fast you press the button it will fire slowly.  Those Galaga games SUCK

When I was a young kid, any of the trackball games like missile command or centipede were my favorite 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, coloradobillsfan said:

I love Galaga as well.  I got so good I rolled-over the scoring counter.

The firing is limited on purpose: they don't want you destroying all the aliens before they get into formation.  There is none (except for maybe consumer-modified ones) that will fire rapidly.  I think they limit it to 2 shots (or 4 if you have double-fighters) on the screen at a time.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Idk know if anyone remembers NFL 94. It had Montana on the cover.  We played the hell out of that game along with NHL 94.

One fun feature was the play by play guy that we called "Bourbon Bob" who would say such things as "It’s 1st & 10 from the 99 yard line." Lol. 

23 hours ago, Wacka said:

Interesting.  When I got Atari 2600 as a birthday present, one of the 2 games I also got with it was "SUPER BREAKOUT" which you played with the "Paddles" and not the joystick.

Never really one of my favorites, but I played that damn thing forever.

23 hours ago, Toomstone.Part.Duex said:

Almost 50 and still gaming.   Started with Atari and now have PS5.  Some of my favs..  Pitfall, donkey kong, maro bros on Nintendo.  Had Sega and pretty much only played Double Dribble and Joe Montana Sports talk football.    PS1-5.  Gran Turismo, Call of Duty.    Currently playing DMZ on COD Warzone.  

There was a certain time (not sure exactly when) when I DEFINITELY would have regarded PITFALL by Activision as a "step ahead" of almost all competing video games at the time.  LOL.

I LOVED THAT GAME!

Remember the "Tarzan scream" the thing would do when you jumped up, grabbed a vine, and swung over the crocodiles?  

21 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My roommates and I absolutely wore this game out during our freshman year.  Roenick and Ray Borque were unstoppable.

Funny...there was a year in undergrad when my best buddies and I played NHL '93 nonstop.

And YES!  Jeremy Roenick was literally programmed to be a good bit faster than anyone else on the game.

As a result, we had a rule that no one could take Chicago.  

One of my friends discovered what came to be known as "the move" where you could go in on a breakaway, put the puck on your back-hand, and then switch to your forehand quickly combined with shooting.

It would result in a goal every single time.  Once we ALL knew "the move" the game came down to who could get more breakaways.

21 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Not so fast about "unstoppable."

I never played that but there's a guy at work, about your age, 10 years younger than me... He's a Chicago Homer,  Blackhawks, Bears, Bulls, & Sox total insufferable... So we get to talking about video games in 1990s and he brings up the NHL game.  He couldn't remember the Sabres defenseman that he used to "tune-up" the star players while his friend would hit the roof in anger, rage-quit... So I started rattling off Sabres players. It was, none other than: Richard Šmehlík. LoL... He said the way the game was set up, he'd use him to thwart his friend's player... AND boy would his friend get mad. 😆 

When goon hockey ruled and the game was real! 😏 None of this pansy stuff today!

From Wiki:  "During the 1999 Stanley Cup finals he was described as "like a human hovercraft... hard to get around!"

I guess the game got it right and my friend sure exploited it to his other friend's chagrin! 😆 

What's funny about that is that Richard Smehlik (sp?) was about as far away from a goon as you could get.

That would have been prime Rob Ray time, and a million others.

People think the '70s were the golden age of goonism in the NHL; not true!  Look at the stats.

The golden age was 100% the '90s.

God I miss that sport; it doesn't exist anymore.

17 hours ago, Doc said:

I love Galaga as well.  I got so good I rolled-over the scoring counter.

The firing is limited on purpose: they don't want you destroying all the aliens before they get into formation.  There is none (except for maybe consumer-modified ones) that will fire rapidly.  I think they limit it to 2 shots (or 4 if you have double-fighters) on the screen at a time.

I remember when a friend taught me the benefit of getting your guy captured by the alien that fired the ray at you...so you could get it back, have 2 guys, and now your firepower was doubled.

That was the greatest thing anyone ever told me at the time. LOL!

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Funny...there was a year in undergrad when my best buddies and I played NHL '93 nonstop.

And YES!  Jeremy Roenick was literally programmed to be a good bit faster than anyone else on the game.

As a result, we had a rule that no one could take Chicago.  

One of my friends discovered what came to be known as "the move" where you could go in on a breakaway, put the puck on your back-hand, and then switch to your forehand quickly combined with shooting.

It would result in a goal every single time.  Once we ALL knew "the move" the game came down to who could get more breakaways.

What's funny about that is that Richard Smehlik (sp?) was about as far away from a goon as you could get.

That would have been prime Rob Ray time, and a million others.

People think the '70s were the golden age of goonism in the NHL; not true!  Look at the stats.

The golden age was 100% the '90s.

God I miss that sport; it doesn't exist anymore.

I remember when a friend taught me the benefit of getting your guy captured by the alien that fired the ray at you...so you could get it back, have 2 guys, and now your firepower was doubled.

That was the greatest thing anyone ever told me at the time. LOL!

Yeah! Maybe I should have used the term: "Old Time Hockey"  ...Goonism doesn't really do physical play justice.

53 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Interesting.  When I got Atari 2600 as a birthday present, one of the 2 games I also got with it was "SUPER BREAKOUT" which you played with the "Paddles" and not the joystick.

Never really one of my favorites, but I played that damn thing forever.

There was a certain time (not sure exactly when) when I DEFINITELY would have regarded PITFALL by Activision as a "step ahead" of almost all competing video games at the time.  LOL.

I LOVED THAT GAME!

Remember the "Tarzan scream" the thing would do when you jumped up, grabbed a vine, and swung over the crocodiles?  

OMG I forgot all about the Tarzan Scream!     I played the S**T out of that game when I was a kid.  

On 8/9/2023 at 5:47 PM, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Enjoying Baldur's Gate 3?

I sure as hell am. Best game I've played in 15 years 

I'll be firing it up this weekend. I purchased the early access almost 3 years ago (fall 2020 I think) and enjoyed what limited content was available.

The problem I'm facing now is that of a bounty of riches. Playing Diablo 4 as well, and we're about 20 days away from Starfield which I fully anticipate taking up and inordinate amount of my waking hours.

• Like (+1) 1

Classic Games is kind of a hobby of mine.  I have all my old systems and games dating back to NES.  Also have bought all the "classic" consoles that have been released from Atari to PS1.

I created a Retropie/Raspberry Pi console that contains all games from the Ataris to PS1.  Even the handheld stuff.  My smartphone also has many games and I have a controller-dock and I can play any retro game handheld.

It is interesting going back and seeing what games aged well, and seeing how challenging things are.  There are games I used to play/succeed at that the older me is completely overcome by.  Other games (Blaster Master comes to mind) I couldnt really get through, I am stronger at now.  Its interesting seeing certain games that are absolute dog-poo and its amazing those cost $30-$50 back in the day

Two old-time arcade games that gave me the most visceral sense of death were:

Berzerk  - ridiculous numbers of killer robots at higher levels. 

Battlezone - death by vector graphic tank main gun.  (That clanging crash when it nails you still freaks me out.)

Frenzy was also good (space going sequel to Berzerk).  My roommate had one in our apartment for a couple years.

16 hours ago, T&C said:

Missile Command was my go to arcade game... played some super nintento games in the 90's but that was the last time I've "gamed".

I remember getting "Missile Command" on Atari 2600.  It was terrible compared to the arcade game! 

That was a common trend with the 2600.  All the arcade stuff sucked.  

Who remembers Pac Man on Atari 2600!  LOL...but man I was so excited to get it when it came out.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

I remember getting "Missile Command" on Atari 2600.  It was terrible compared to the arcade game! 

That was a common trend with the 2600.  All the arcade stuff sucked.  

Who remembers Pac Man on Atari 2600!  LOL...but man I was so excited to get it when it came out.

Yup.  It was terrible.  But I still wanted it over Intellivision, which is what I got instead. :censored:

Started out on Space Invaders when it first came out. I was addicted to it and was pretty good at it. Played Asteriods occasionally but found it boring and wasn't very good at it. Played Pac Man then Ms. Pac Man. When Galaga came out, that became my favorite and I still play it whenever I am in a place that has one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.