Training Camp (scrimmage) - 8/4 5:00pm - The return of Blue and Red

The Wiz

I had a surprise chance to attend the scrimmage.  My wife's cousin had six tickets and several of his friends were unable to attend.  I can't really add any specifics to all the observations that have been reported.  Lots of nice plays.  The three drops that were already reported (Kincaid, Knox and Davis) were all drive killers.  The way scrimmages are run prevents offenses from really gaining a rhythm, but I don't think the coaches are really worried about developing rhythm in this setting.  Preseason games will provide opportunities for that.

1 hour ago, NickelCity said:

I find it really interesting that some outlets reporting Dodson was perhaps the scrimmage standout...while others had Bernard as their top performer. 

Let's hope that bodes well.

Something tells me Bernard has been getting hella criticism without actually getting the chance to show development

He needed to develop physically.... And has potential 

• Agree 3

8 hours ago, jkeerie said:

Just going to Ajay Cybulski's twitter...lots of good stuff in the red zone.  Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to embed a tweet, otherwise I'd post.

On the tweet, the icon underneath the tweet with the arrow pointing up gives options of where to send it. Click ‘Copy Link’ then come here, add reply, right click and paste. You’re all set.👍

Hearing differing things about MLB... Good reports about Dodson and Bernard but then one says Spector tracks runners or TEs (can't remember) better than anyone except Milano. I thought Spector was out of the running. Just based on reports, sounds like Dodson's job to lose.

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

He MITE be the big nickel McDermott has wanted ... Only problem is ... Is taking Johnson off the field for rapp... Johnson is really good

But will McDermott go Bill Belichick ... Re write and work his defense... Run something he never has ... Maybe big DIME..  the answer

2 safeties deep... Milano and Rapp , inside backers ... 4 lineman ... 3 corners ... Boom 

This is 3rd and long modern defense... But does he have the guts 

I've been saying since he signed he'll play the big nickel role which I believe was previously played by Neal,  so nice upgrade. I'm sure they had conversations about him having a significant role on d before signing.  He'd be a starting S on most teams

5 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

I had a surprise chance to attend the scrimmage.  My wife's cousin had six tickets and several of his friends were unable to attend.  I can't really add any specifics to all the observations that have been reported.  Lots of nice plays.  The three drops that were already reported (Kincaid, Knox and Davis) were all drive killers.  The way scrimmages are run prevents offenses from really gaining a rhythm, but I don't think the coaches are really worried about developing rhythm in this setting.  Preseason games will provide opportunities for that.

I hope we take the Jets route in preseason , according to radio outlets they're only playing main starters for a bit of their final ps game

9 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

More turnover? Do you follow the league? Bills are above average in terms of OL turnover. It’s a league problem. Mahomes has had multiple LTs and Cs in his short career. Allen has had the same LT and C his whole career.

Dawkins has had a different LG every year of his career.  RG has seen 5 different starters since 2018. Do you follow the league?

Edited by noacls

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think it was mentioned but the 1st team offense wasn't out there a ton............presumably less than on most days of camp.

I’m glad the 1st string O wasn’t out there much…sucks for fans, but that’s not what is important right now.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Something tells me Bernard has been getting hella criticism without actually getting the chance to show development

He needed to develop physically.... And has potential 

Going into OTA’s I thought Spencer Browns health and Bernard’s body would be instrumental in regards to the 2023 season.  

Too small.  Too weak.  Won’t be able to hold up in the middle with the 225 Milano at the SAM.b or will he?  

A year and 4 months is enough time to change your body, yet he seems to be around the same size/stature.  Lacks size and definition compared to his peers. Can he take on blocks or will he just get flattened.  He can’t run around every block. 

I’m assuming that he was selected due in part to his dedication and character.  I’d like to see that dedication show itself in terms of his body.  Maybe it has but we can’t see it under the uniform….. but color me skeptical in thinking he’s added enough strength to succeed as our starter in the middle. Time will tell though 

Edited by NewEra
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, eball said:

I’m glad the 1st string O wasn’t out there much…sucks for fans, but that’s not what is important right now.

Yeah all I can figure is that they didn't want the starters out there much against the D with the energy of 30,000 people in the crowd.   They pushed the offense around good.   Epenesa flung Dion Dawkins to the turf on one play and Dion looked like an old man getting helped up.   He needs to get into form but I hope the D carries this play into the season.  Quite a different situation than the open practice that we attended in 2021.   This was like a full-on kid's day preseason game and they sold a ton of food.     

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, BillsSbSoon said:

If epenesa finally breaks out that would be incredible for this defense but we read the same things last year in camp. This time it’s basically his do or die year

He had 6.5 sacks last year. He's trending up. That was as a reserve DE. People around here have zero patience imo

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.