Training Camp (scrimmage) - 8/4 5:00pm - The return of Blue and Red

The Wiz

14 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I also could be wrong, but in the first couple years when Lorenzo Alexander was here, seems the Bills were more multiple in the defenders they put on the field.    In 2017, Alexander played 60% of the defensive snaps.  Preston Brown was always on the field and either Ramon Humber (early in the season) or Matt Milano (later).  I know 'Zo talked about what the Bills called a "Buffalo" or "heavy nickel" package where he played slot corner.  And Zo also played with his hand on the ground at times. 

That changed as Taron Johnson developed and then Zo retired.....

But the point is, the Bills defense used to be more multiple, before it settled into a place where the two LB and the nickel corner we had were so talented Frazier never wanted to move them off the field.

I think we may very well see more substitution and some innovative use of safeties and CB and LB....and I think that is one reason we moved on from Salgado and brought in Danna as the safeties coach.  And it might well be interesting to study just how Houston was using their safeties.

I'll never forget 'Zo playing some transcendent, kind of old school MLB against the Jags in that 2017 Wildcard game. He was such a beast, and playing a role/position he really hadn't before. 

Here's hoping the Bills want to get back to being more multiple and matchup-specific in their personnel packages, alignments, and efforts to disguise.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

I'll never forget 'Zo playing some transcendent, kind of old school MLB against the Jags in that 2017 Wildcard game. He was such a beast, and playing a role/position he really hadn't before. 

Here's hoping the Bills want to get back to being more multiple and matchup-specific in their personnel packages, alignments, and efforts to disguise.

Being multiple and matchup specific in personnel can become a "tell" if you let it

But if we're playing Dodson for his superior run D....we gotta come up with another wrinkle in coverage, cuz that boy can't cover

On 8/4/2023 at 2:23 PM, PrimeTime101 said:

I love that helmet!

But it does look awful with the red jersey...  but I do like it

On 8/4/2023 at 2:57 PM, TBBills Fan said:

I agree with white on white or white on blue it would look sharp I think

I agree

20 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Great post.  I agree 💯

being unpredictable is such an underrated aspect of the game.  

Zo was an animal that game and as a bill in general.  He’s high on my list of most appreciated players

On 8/5/2023 at 11:43 PM, Nephilim17 said:

Does we only play this package with a third and long?

In today's NFL, I may rather take my chances that a running back "gashes" us for 8 yards on a second and 10 once in a while if that means an elite QB didn't throw it for 12 — or 20 yards. And I think this package can help neutralize dangerous tight ends.

Yes, if this means the other team is averaging 6.5 yards a run it may not be worth it on early downs but I'm not sure that will happen with Rapp there to help the run.

So when it comes to picking a poison, I'd rather guard against a big pass play more often. I hope McDermott does have the guts to try this Big Dime, and more often than we might suspect.

yep. with our secondary im all for bend dont break style. dont get beat by the pass, and make teams have more plays/drive to get into scoring range (as opposed to 15-20yard chunk drives)... the more plays needed to move the chains, the better chance we have at forcing a mistake

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/4/2023 at 4:18 PM, JDubya76 said:

I miss yolo, but thanks for doing what you’re doing, i appreciate it

Yes, thank you @The Wiz

On 8/4/2023 at 5:34 PM, eball said:

Good on Spencer Brown for staying out there to sign autographs from his hospital stretcher!

I saw some reports that there was a priest staying close to the Bills sideline just in case the worst was to happen to Brown.

On 8/5/2023 at 4:58 AM, CSBill said:

Love that Blue hat. Where can one get such a hat?

https://shop.buffalobills.com/products/billmh1134-new-era-bills-blue-tonal-adjustable-hat

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Yes, thank you @The Wiz

I saw some reports that there was a priest staying close to the Bills sideline just in case the worst was to happen to Brown.

https://shop.buffalobills.com/products/billmh1134-new-era-bills-blue-tonal-adjustable-hat

There is also a spleen on standby and all the rubber mats have been removed

• Haha (+1) 1

On 8/5/2023 at 11:43 PM, Nephilim17 said:

Does we only play this package with a third and long?

In today's NFL, I may rather take my chances that a running back "gashes" us for 8 yards on a second and 10 once in a while if that means an elite QB didn't throw it for 12 — or 20 yards. And I think this package can help neutralize dangerous tight ends.

Yes, if this means the other team is averaging 6.5 yards a run it may not be worth it on early downs but I'm not sure that will happen with Rapp there to help the run.

So when it comes to picking a poison, I'd rather guard against a big pass play more often. I hope McDermott does have the guts to try this Big Dime, and more often than we might suspect.

It's not just a 3rd and long defense .. but it's not really a 1st and 10 defense either ... Unless your up 3 scores and your in full play pass mode 

It can definitely be more valuable against some teams than others.... Patriots for example ... Not much use... They go heavy and want to power run

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/5/2023 at 6:31 PM, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Because the defense under Fraizer was McDermott encouraged, approved and endorsed.

Unless we want to say Fraizer went rogue the entire time he was here and McDermott lost control of half the team.

Play caller still makes a difference. So while yes this was McDermott’s defense. Frazier may call a play differently than McDermott based on the situation. To me Frazier was overly conservative. So will be interesting to see how McDermott performs with essentially the same group minus Edmunds.

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Probably to treat it like a regular week of practice during the season, since we play a game this coming weekend 

I guess it just wasn’t on the schedule because they’re practicing this morning. I did think it was odd for them to be off Sat, Mon, and Tues. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.