Training Camp (scrimmage) - 8/4 5:00pm - The return of Blue and Red

The Wiz

4 minutes ago, eball said:

Does anyone have a problem with this?  The Bills have won the AFC East three years in a row.  It’s one thing to hang the Lombardi when your team hasn’t made the playoffs in umpteen years…it’s another when you’re at the cusp of a championship.

I see nothing wrong with reminding everyone of why they’re there.

I don't have a problem with it per se, I just think it's a little incongruous

I mean they talk about how playoff caliber comes before championship caliber, Allen is always pretending he doesn't know who they're playing beyond the next week..it would fall under 'hungry' category I suppose but probably not 'humble', especially considering there are a few other teams who can lay legitimate claim to being on the cusp of a championship

it's not a big deal, just my initial reaction was I don't like it

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s just a training camp opinion. Not that serious.

It should be to AJ.  Either he or Boogie is going to be gone in a month is my guess.  And I know a lot of OTs suck in the NFL, we carry/trade for/sign most of them.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I don't have a problem with it per se, I just think it's a little incongruous

I mean they talk about how playoff caliber comes before championship caliber, Allen is always pretending he doesn't know who they're playing beyond the next week..it would fall under 'hungry' category I suppose but probably not 'humble', especially considering there are a few other teams who can lay legitimate claim to being on the cusp of a championship

it's not a big deal, just my initial reaction was I don't like it

Maybe McD is evolving.  “Humble and hungry” works when you’re a nobody and have to earn your keep.  It works for rookies and UDFAs.  Perhaps McD isn’t the meathead some think he is, and he realizes that there are superstars in that locker room now who want the damn trophy.

• Like (+1) 2

Updates from Matt Parrino and Ryan Talbot:

Tyrel Dodson was excellent tonight. He was all over the field for Buffalo's first team defense and made several impressive stops against the run. The veteran may be putting a solid grip on the MLB job.

Tonight's big winner? A.J. Epenesa. The pass rusher was OUTSTANDING tonight. He had two would be sacks against David Quessenberry and a deflected pass. After his 6.5 sack season last year, thinks seem to be clicking for Epenesa.

Ryan Bates started with the 1s at RG, which was a bit disappointing on a night that Dorian Williams got the outside linebacker reps with the 1s (Milano was vet rest). One play from Bates stuck out for me in a run-heavy portion of 11-on-11 early. He got out in space in front of James Cook on a run play and blew his assignment. That's supposed to be the strength of his game. I think it was Tyrel Dodson that stopped Cook, but with a good block in that spot, I feel like Cook is sprung.

Torrence worked in with the 1s as practice went along and had a few good pass-block reps working in tandem with Spencer Brown.

Explosive run from James Cook happened because of the excellent work from Dion Dawkins and Connor McGovern. Both linemen sealed their blocks and Cook might have made a house call in a real game from about his own 30. 

When it comes to defending the run game, Baylon Spector looks like the best pursuer of the ball carrier among the linebackers not named Milano. Bernard isn't tracking well and Williams just not making plays at this stage. Things seem to be moving fast for him still.

On the Cook run, it looked like Bernard was in at the Mike and just didn't react quick enough to make any kind of attempt to get to the RB.

As for the other DEs on this team, here are a few notes.

Boogie Basham had a would be sack late in practice. He beat Brandon Shell pretty badly on the play. Basham needs to stack days together considering the depth and talent the team has at DE.

Greg Rousseau had a would be sack on Josh Allen. Rousseau has been solid all camp could be in line for a breakout season. Rousseau has been moved inside and outside this summer. 

Leonard Floyd had a strong practice. He looks comfortable in the Bills' defense. He blew up Spencer Brown on one play for a TFL.

Buffalo has some tough decisions to make at DE.

Ed Oliver had to go into the medical tent for a few moments during practice and when he came back out I didn't see him reenter practice. I think it's best not to overreact to that, though, as we learned with Spencer Brown yesterday. These guys are getting dinged constantly and dealing with a ton of nagging little things here and there. If we don't see him on the practice field on Sunday, I'll go to the Bills and try to get an update.

Khalil Shakir had a punt return muff at the beginning of practice. I'm not sure he remains in the competition much longer. Darrynton Evans has been solid and Isabella there in intriguing.

Dawson Knox is a huge key for this offense for me in 2023. The improved run game and slot options are going to force defenses into forgetting about him quite a bit, I think. Here's what he needs to stop doing...

Falling down on his turn to locate the football during his route. There are so many times when he gets separation but can't find his balance long enough to make a play on a pass.

Josh Allen threw a perfect ball to him tonight and he made the turn over his left shoulder and tripped. Tyrel Dodson and Damar Hamlin were both scrambling to catch up to 88. He stays on his feet and it's a monster play.

Josh Allen ended practice on a high note with back-to-back passing TDs. His first touchdown pass was a throw to the left side of the end zone to Stefon Diggs. Allen and Diggs' chemistry is still unmatched. 

Allen's second TD was to Khalil Shakir. Shakir motioned as if he was going to run into the backfield but reversed field and was open on the right side of the field for a swing pass. Shakir took the pass into the end zone for an easy TD.

I thought Spencer Brown had a solid practice. I noted several reps where he held up well in pass protection and allowed the quarterback extra time. He consistently has arguably the toughest assignment in Leonard Floyd. He lost one rep bad against Floyd that resulted in a tackle for a loss (I believe the back was Damien Harris).

Gabe Davis continues to make good catches. Josh Allen had a low throw to him over the middle early in team work and David slid to make the grab.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 11

32 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

It should be to AJ.  Either he or Boogie is going to be gone in a month is my guess.  And I know a lot of OTs suck in the NFL, we carry/trade for/sign most of them.

One thing that always remains the same no matter how good your team is. Fans will always complain about the roster.

15 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

If epenesa finally breaks out that would be incredible for this defense but we read the same things last year in camp. This time it’s basically his do or die year

6.5 sacks last year, came on stronger last year. He's a nice piece and safe on 53 imo

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

One thing that always remains the same no matter how good your team is. Fans will always complain about the roster.

I don't understand how stating the obvious is complaining.  Was Dawkins complaining when he said he hasn't had the same LG next to him for two years in a row?  He didn't sound happy about it, that's for sure.

Edited by The Wiz

6 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

6.5 sacks last year, came on stronger last year. He's a nice piece and safe on 53 imo

Yeah he’s probably safe but the bulk of those 6.5 sacks came early in the year if im remembering right and then he disappeared again. Lets see him be consistent all year 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I don't understand how stating the obvious is complaining.  Was Dawkins complaining when he said he hasn't had the same LG next to him for two years in a row?  He didn't sound happy about it, that's for sure.

OL is a problem for most of the league, even when you invest heavily. 

Dawkins, welcome to the NFL. 

2 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I’m praying we don’t overpay for Davis…Every time the ball is thrown to him or Knox I hold my breath, anticipating a bad drop…

Then, if they make a catch, I’m overly excited that it wasn’t a letdown…🤣

Knox is a weird one.  He seems to make the hard catches and drop the easy ones.  Maybe he just doesn't focus enough on balls in the bucket.

1 hour ago, jkeerie said:

Thank you.  I was making it too complicated with the "link", "code" stuff at the top of the posting box.

Really hope Dorsey has some good gameplans this year and he adapts throughout the season.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

OL is a problem for most of the league, even when you invest heavily. 

Dawkins, welcome to the NFL. 

I agree.  Doesn't change the fact that it has been a core problem since the start of the McBeane era and have probably had more turnover than most teams on the oline.

Edited by The Wiz

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.