Training Camp - 8/3 - 9:45am

The Wiz

4 minutes ago, eball said:

They did.  Shell and Gouriage.  There are options.

Especially Shell

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Josh's off season has been wild.

Broke up with Brit and Dawson. Rebounded with Hailee and Dalton. This dude upgrades like no other.

Brit upgraded two. 

Her upper chest has some upgrades

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Of course, that's providing there isn't a shift on defensive philosophy this or next year as well.  Taron Johnson is (I believe) a FA next year. I could see a scenario where the Bills aren't able to resign him and he walks. 

If that happens do they stay a 4-2 team? Chances are McDermott will either continue to call defense next year, but if they do bring someone in...what will they want to run? We already have reason to believe the defense mindset and play style will adapt without Edmunds in there. What does life look like without Johnson in there due to moving on...or even injury this year? 

It's always nice to have pieces in place before you need them.  

Taron is signed through the 2024 season and won’t be a FA until 2025.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bangarang said:

Taron is signed through the 2024 season and won’t be a FA until 2025.

I knew it was either this season or next were his last under contract. Point remains. If we lose him to injury or other unforseen instances...perhaps we see more true 4-3 looks. Either way it's good to have options 

There are a lot of ways he sees some viable snaps this season. Yes, special teams will get him some. But I can see a path to him being on the field in certain groupings as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

If Brown is banged up, Wonder if Bates could play RT? Any oline experts know? 

I'm no expert, but I will say that I've seen Bates try to play OT in this league and I never ever want to see it again.

He's just not long or athletic enough to deal with DEs in space.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

If Brown is banged up, Wonder if Bates could play RT? Any oline experts know? 

Bates has played all spots on the O-line, but he's not ideal as a tackle.  If Brown is hurt, then Shell is the next guy they'll look to.  Gouraige has impressed as an undrafted free agent.

• Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

you are arguing something completely different from what me a fisker where jawing about. you'd have to flow through the entire conversation to see what I saw which was no clarity in his comments

You selected a quote out of context... Yes he gets his reps, but I took Fiskers comment at face value when he said we needed to sit Elam till he learns. Which without any context added to that, meant he wanted Elam benched now in training camp. Which he says thats not what he meant and thats where the confusion lies and really could of been dealt with in a single post/reply but for some reason he kept insinuating that I should of read what he wrote and deduced his meaning... Which my reply was basically I've seen to many knee jerk posts making statements that have no basi9s in relaity but I'm supposed to take understand he meant something different

Got you.  Thanks for the explanation.   I've been in plenty of those discussions.   

It's funny for all of us to have these discussions on the fly as we're seeing info from the early days of training camp.   Fact is, it seems that if we'd just waited until the end of practice today, we'd all be saying it looks like Elam is starting to win the job.   Reality is, none of us knows. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Hate to say it, but Brown injury right now could actually end up being an addition by subtraction situation.

Yes, if this is the latest in endless problems with his back, it's much better to start working his replacement into the first unit now.   Much better.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Duffy said:

I understand wanting to get a closer look at Bernard, that's expected. I'm talking about that report the guy believes it's down to Bernard and Dodson. So I'm wondering why/what it is that gives him that impression?  Is it only due to today that McD decided it was time to  get a closer look?

Now that today Bernard is getting some extra reps so McD gets a closer look, from that he gets that it's down to Bernard and Dodson?

Primarily due to what McD said about closer look, but many people have been thinking its down to Bernard/Dodson since Spectors rotation was skipped at the last practice.  Scrimmage and coming days will be telling but I wouldnt be surprised if Spector has fallen out of the competition since the other two guys started games last year and Spector got very few snaps at LB (Steelers game only iirc).

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

They tried him at MLB in the spring.  Guess they didn’t like what they saw/heard.  Maybe next year.  

My recollection is that what Beane said, in so many words, they'd like him to be an answer in the middle, and they might look at him a bit there, but that primarily he'd start outside and learn the game.  If he'd turned out to be some kind of savant in OTAs, we might be seeing him in the middle now, but that isn't what was expected.   What I understood Beane to be saying was that the guy could be a factor in the middle at some time, but probably not right away.   That is exactly what we're seeing.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Bangarang said:

If Dorian Williams is nothing more than a WLB then that pick becomes more of a head scratcher given Milano is signed through 2026.

Lets panic NOW after a few days of practice that a rookie is not yet starting at MLB and calling defensive adjustments.

Anyone who thought he would slip in magically at MLB this early is,  at best, naïve.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.