Giants and Barkley agree on a 1-year 11M deal

Gregg

Ian Rapoport on Twitter: "Surprise! 🚨 🚨 🚨 The #Giants and star RB Saquon Barkley agreed to terms on a new 1-year deal worth up to $11M, sources say, as Barkley gives himself a chance to beat the franchise tag. He gets a $2M signing bonus. Bottom line: Barkley is coming in & will be at training camp. https://t.co/A5PR7RWLfQ" / Twitter

Just now, mrags said:

Wasnt he initially offered 2 years, 26m?

He’ll never get 13+ next year. Can’t fix stupid. 

So my question to this is who released this information? Certainly not Barkley and his camp. My guess is the team leaked this info to make Barkley look greedy/bad. Maybe that was an actual offer and I’m off, but that’s an easy way to make the player look bad if it’s not true 

• Agree 6

6 minutes ago, mrags said:

If he has a big year, then I could see some team giving him a big contract when he hits FA.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

If I was Barkley, every time I look at Jones, I’m sick. It will be real interesting to see how many times he runs out of bounds or goes to the ground before contact. 

I think the Giants were complete flukes last year and they are going to regress big time this year. Will be real interesting to see Barkley (who by all accounts is a really good dude) lays it on the line. In the nfl for money, especially RBs, you need to be selfish. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

17 minutes ago, mrags said:

If you believe what you read, yes. Barkley has actually said a few times that was never offered. 

I have a hard time calling a guy stupid for "turning down an offer" that may never have happened. 

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2023/07/13/new-york-giants-saquon-barkley-refutes-reports-about-contract-offer/

Edited by BuffaloBillyG
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

So, after all the hullabaloo, it’s status quo in the meadowlands…, the preseason manufactured gossip is like death and taxes, both irritating and inevitable, sigh…, 

11 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

So my question to this is who released this information? Certainly not Barkley and his camp. My guess is the team leaked this info to make Barkley look greedy/bad. Maybe that was an actual offer and I’m off, but that’s an easy way to make the player look bad if it’s not true 

Pretty sure it was reported before they stuck him with the franchise tag. If I’m wrong I have no idea of what I was thinking. But pretty sure weeks ago there was a 2 year 26m contract offered. 

8 minutes ago, Gregg said:

If he has a big year, then I could see some team giving him a big contract when he hits FA.

Nobody is gonna give him 13m a year. Not even if he’s the MVP. 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

If you believe what you read, yes. Barkley has actually said a few times that was never offered. 

I have a hard time calling a guy stupid for "turning down an offer" that may never have happened. 

Had no idea Barkley said that never happened. I did hear from multiple sources in the media what the offer was. They talked about it for days on the radio. 

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

Pretty sure it was reported before they stuck him with the franchise tag. If I’m wrong I have no idea of what I was thinking. But pretty sure weeks ago there was a 2 year 26m contract offered. 

Had no idea Barkley said that never happened. I did hear from multiple sources in the media what the offer was. They talked about it for days on the radio. 

But of course we also know how the sports media works. 1 guy says 1 thing and everyone parrots it. Then they talk about it a bunch because they need content. In this case I'd trust Barkley's word about what was or wasn't offered over someone like Mike Florio

The only people that know what was offered for sure are Barkley, his agents and the team. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2023/07/13/new-york-giants-saquon-barkley-refutes-reports-about-contract-offer/

Fans love calling players names based on anonymous reports. Can’t believe some players get mad at fans!  

14 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Here’s the RB situation in a nutshell. This is the reason. 

There’s truth in this but what about Brady then and all the 1st round bust qbs?  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Fans love calling players names based on anonymous reports. Can’t believe some players get mad at fans!  

Exactly. Fans just run with whatever they are told by whoever tweets it. Now, that's not to say fans can't be critical of a player's decision when facts come to light. For example, after all this Barkley didn't even secure a "no tag clause" for next year which puts him right back where he is now only a year older with a year more wear and tear on his body. 

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

But of course we also know how the sports media works. 1 guy says 1 thing and everyone parrots it. Then they talk about it a bunch because they need content. In this case I'd trust Barkley's word about what was or wasn't offered over someone like Mike Florio

The only people that know what was offered for sure are Barkley, his agents and the team. 

If that’s the case and he was never offered that, then he’s not a stupid idiot. I’ll believe what I heard from all over for weeks. That’s what was initially reported. Until there’s proof otherwise, that’s all anyone knows. 

in this article is also points out that the Giants officially offered him $12.5m last year and he turned it down. So what’s more likely now? That he was offered a little more than what he was officially offered? Or Barkley saying the offer wasn’t that high?

https://nypost.com/2023/07/13/giants-19-5-million-guaranteed-offer-not-enough-for-saquon-barkley/amp/

At the bye week in early November last season, Barkley turned down an offer averaging $12.5 million per year

That annual average was bumped up to $13 million in an offer after the season. Barkley also turned down that increased offer, as his representation at the time might have misjudged where the market for running backs was headed.”

and then there’s this article

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/ny-saquon-barkley-what-to-know-20230721-2jn6c7542rfv7jpsgs5g4nlhqy-story.html

“In any event, the Giants started with an offer between $12-12.5 million a year with unknown guarantees at last November’s bye week. They inched closer to Barkley’s ask in the spring, and they seemingly settled into the neighborhood of their original offer this month, perhaps with slightly higher guarantees.”

this article pretty much says that Barkley wasn’t arguing the money on paper just that the roster bonuses for game day appearances were inflating those numbers. And honestly, regarding a player that has missed 21 games over 5 years due to injury, I don’t blame the Giants for having those terms included. 

“Barkley and his camp intimated in June that mechanisms like per-game roster bonuses were helping to artificially inflate any of the offer’s true, full guarantees.”

6 minutes ago, mrags said:

If that’s the case and he was never offered that, then he’s not a stupid idiot. I’ll believe what I heard from all over for weeks. That’s what was initially reported. Until there’s proof otherwise, that’s all anyone knows. 

in this article is also points out that the Giants officially offered him $12.5m last year and he turned it down. So what’s more likely now? That he was offered a little more than what he was officially offered? Or Barkley saying the offer wasn’t that high?

https://nypost.com/2023/07/13/giants-19-5-million-guaranteed-offer-not-enough-for-saquon-barkley/amp/

At the bye week in early November last season, Barkley turned down an offer averaging $12.5 million per year

That annual average was bumped up to $13 million in an offer after the season. Barkley also turned down that increased offer, as his representation at the time might have misjudged where the market for running backs was headed.”

and then there’s this article

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/ny-saquon-barkley-what-to-know-20230721-2jn6c7542rfv7jpsgs5g4nlhqy-story.html

“In any event, the Giants started with an offer between $12-12.5 million a year with unknown guarantees at last November’s bye week. They inched closer to Barkley’s ask in the spring, and they seemingly settled into the neighborhood of their original offer this month, perhaps with slightly higher guarantees.”

this article pretty much says that Barkley wasn’t arguing the money on paper just that the roster bonuses for game day appearances were inflating those numbers. And honestly, regarding a player that has missed 21 games over 5 years due to injury, I don’t blame the Giants for having those terms included. 

“Barkley and his camp intimated in June that mechanisms like per-game roster bonuses were helping to artificially inflate any of the offer’s true, full guarantees.”

In a lot of ways the parts you quoted help my stance. Look at the wording. "Seemingly". "Perhaps". It also points out that even if it's a "2 year 26M" offer...the numbers aren't going to be near that. So what was the actual offer? You don't know, I don't know and the people writing the article don't know. 

So without knowing what the offer actual was, what it's actual value is it's kinda hard to sit back and make an educated judgement on his passing of it. 

To speculate: if it was a 2 year 26M fully guaranteed deal? Sure, dumb. 2 year 26M deal that's only worth 7million? Yeah, Id pass on that as well if I were him. The truth is likely in between those floor/ceiling estimates, of course. But where it actually comes in only he his agents and the team know.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

In a lot of ways the parts you quoted help my stance. Look at the wording. "Seemingly". "Perhaps". It also points out that even if it's a "2 year 26M" offer...the numbers aren't going to be near that. So what was the actual offer? You don't know, I don't know and the people writing the article don't know. 

So without knowing what the offer actual was, what it's actual value is it's kinda hard to sit back and make an educated judgement on his passing of it. 

To speculate: if it was a 2 year 26M fully guaranteed deal? Sure, dumb. 2 year 26M deal that's only worth 7million? Yeah, Id pass on that as well if I were him. The truth is likely in between those floor/ceiling estimates, of course. But where it actually comes in only he his agents and the team know.

So neither of us are sure at all considering Barkley and the agents and the team are the only ones that are privy to the situation, then I guess we can both just stop. Or we can both keep posting since it’s an internet message board after all. 

If I can’t call him an idiot for turning down 26m over 2 years I can call him an idiot for not accepting the 12.5m back in November in an offer that was confirmed, and now he’s only making 11m. So he’s dumb for throwing out 1m. Oh, and still negotiating a contract with a no franchise tag clause after this season. Imo, he’s hoping he’ll get tagged again because nobody is going to pay him 13m a year next season no matter how well he plays this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Daniel Jones - $40+ million 

Saquon Barkley - $11 million 

Makes sense.

One plays the most important position in sports. The other plays a position moderately more valuable than special teamers.

It’s criminal that Taiwan Jones is the best kick off coverage guy in football and he makes less than Saquon!

Edited by FireChans
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

There’s truth in this but what about Brady then and all the 1st round bust qbs?  

QB is different because you can’t replace QBs easily. You know that. Pretty weak question.

Just now, mrags said:

So neither of us are sure at all considering Barkley and the agents and the team are the only ones that are privy to the situation, then I guess we can both just stop. Or we can both keep posting since it’s an internet message board after all. 

If I can’t call him an idiot for turning down 26m over 2 years I can call him an idiot for not accepting the 12.5m back in November in an offer that was confirmed, and now he’s only making 11m. So he’s dumb for throwing out 1m. Oh, and still negotiating a contract with a no franchise tag clause after this season. Imo, he’s hoping he’ll get tagged again because nobody is going to pay him 13m a year next season no matter how well he plays this year. 

Now him not getting a deal where they can't tag him next year we are in full agreement on. That wasn't beneficial to him at all.

Again however, if he turned down 12.5M last year...what was the structure of the contract? How much was guaranteed? What did the incentives look like? There is so much more to a contract offer that the sticker price. Fans get stuck on the big number. Keep in mind that his 11M for this season is now guaranteed. Fully, even if he gets hurt. Did that confirmed (and confirmed by who, exactly?) deal have a minimum 11M fully guaranteed in it for this year? Honest question. 

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Now him not getting a deal where they can't tag him next year we are in full agreement on. That wasn't beneficial to him at all.

Again however, if he turned down 12.5M last year...what was the structure of the contract? How much was guaranteed? What did the incentives look like? There is so much more to a contract offer that the sticker price. Fans get stuck on the big number. Keep in mind that his 11M for this season is now guaranteed. Fully, even if he gets hurt. Did that confirmed (and confirmed by who, exactly?) deal have a minimum 11M fully guaranteed in it for this year? Honest question. 

Actually the 11m is with incentives. He retained his 10.1m in guarantees from the franchise tag and there’s another 1m in incentives. Just reported per wgr 

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I have a question. If RBs were free agents out of college would you want the Bills to sign one for $100 million? $50 million?

No and no.  Never, EVER draft a RB higher than 4 or over pay them, imo

Edited by Dablitzkrieg

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I have a question. If RBs were free agents out of college would you want the Bills to sign one for $100 million? $50 million?

I have a feeling that scenario wouldnt work out for RBs like we think it would. Instead of signing slotted rookie-scale contracts (fully guaranteed for 1st rounders), they'd be getting peanuts as undrafted free agents.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany72 said:

Maybe he wants a fresh start somewhere else after next year🤷‍♂️

And when the giants tag him again?

7 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

I just hope that all these multi millionaire athletes are paying their 37% federal income tax! 😉

Don’t fool yourself. You know damn well they aren’t. 

1 hour ago, mrags said:

Uhh….

Just because they talk about it on sports talk radio doesn’t mean it’s true. 
Barkley was never offered a 2 yr $26 mil guaranteed contract. 
Now who looks stupid?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

I just hope that all these multi millionaire athletes are paying their 37% federal income tax! 😉

3 hours ago, mrags said:

And when the giants tag him again?

Don’t fool yourself. You know damn well they aren’t. 

No tag clause in the new contract. They cant tag him again. I was wrong. He can be tagged again.

Also, pro athletes ARE in fact the heaviest taxed high earners. They dont have the same abilities to shelter and skirt like the true wealthy. Their pay is all fully taxed. They cant defer salary to stock options and cash out a year later to only pay long term capital gains. Most of the players arent financially savvy enough to find even the most basic loop holes.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

QB is different because you can’t replace QBs easily. You know that. Pretty weak question.

You can easily replace Daniel Jones and his average seasons of 18 tds (passing & rushing), 8.5 ints, and 10.5 fumbles. 

zero issue with Mahomes and Allen getting paid what they do. They are worth every penny. But there is an major issue with Barkley, far away their best offensive player, getting almost 4 times less than a scrub like Jones.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You can easily replace Daniel Jones and his average seasons of 18 tds (passing & rushing), 8.5 ints, and 10.5 fumbles. 

zero issue with Mahomes and Allen getting paid what they do. They are worth every penny. But there is an major issue with Barkley, far away their best offensive player, getting almost 4 times less than a scrub like Jones.

Exactly. Those are Teddy Bridgewater numbers. Jacoby Brissett numbers. Now, in fairness he's a bigger rushing threat than either of those guys, but as a passer Jones is mediocre. 

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They signed Jones on what they hope he becomes. If he doesn’t take a step forward he’ll be replaced. Yes his production can be replaced easily. That is the thin line with QBs. Coaches and GMs get fired over these decisions. We all know why teams take the risk.

Barkley is an elite talent at RB. He’s one of the few deserving of a top RB contract. His issue isn’t so much about being replaceable, it’s injuries. If Barkley were durable he would’ve reset the RB market. There’s so much working against RBs. The elite ones also have to be durable which is hard to do. 

The main issue for RBs though is the committee approach which gives opportunities to lesser RBs. These lesser RBs then show they can do the job cheaper. Most teams use 2-3 RBs consistently. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

Daniel Jones - $40+ million 

Saquon Barkley - $11 million 

Makes sense.

It 100% does.  

These comparisons are honestly getting ridiculous.  

Giants have a chance to make the playoffs with Daniel Jones, who is a Carr/Cousins ceiling QB, in the NFC. 

Giants have no chance if they had to start over with a rookie while leaning on a massive multi-year deal for an elite RB that’s dealt with injuries prior to this past year. 

They’re in that weird mid-level/back-end of the Top 10-12 QB category.  

Probably not good enough to win big, or consistently with.. but in a weak conference, the QB makes them a playoff contender and they’d need to tank the season if they had thoughts of Caleb Williams or Drake Maye. 

Barkley maybe adds a win or two to their record.  Jones is what makes them a playoff contender… even with the weaknesses he has. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.