FIFA Woman's World Cup...USWNT looking to 3 Peat!

Big Turk

Kind of a crappy first game tho...US won 3-0 but playing against a team that had never been there before and whose main objective was to score a single goal in their 3 group stage games, they should have scored a lot more.

Last World Cup they beat Thailand 13-0 in the first game. This one should have been closer to 10-0 at least.

Basically missed a Penalty kick, and a bunch of shots that missed the net as well as a ton of very poor crossing attempts and passes into space that got intercepted.

Vietnam was no real threat. They had no shots in the game and rarely even got the ball past midfield. Seemed like they were content just to have 9 players in and around the box most of the game.

US needs to pick up their game, they don't have another cupcake on their schedule.

I was not too impressed with the level of soccer displayed in that game. Except for Sophia Smith. She's an outstanding goalscorer.

Later on I watched Japan vs. Zambia, and it was night-and-day compared to U.S./Vietnam. Now granted that the level of the competition was extremely low, but the Japanese women still took care of their business properly, and curb-stomped them as they should. I don't know if Nadeshiko can pull off a repeat of 2011 when they won it all, but I expect them to make it pretty far into this tournament.

It was frustrating game because Vietnam barely tried to play in the US end. Vietnam essentially stacked their own end, and rarely counterattacked with numbers. Their strategy was don’t give up a bunch of goals by not really trying to score. If Vietnam sent a real attack the US would have countered with much more space. 

11 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

It was frustrating game because Vietnam barely tried to play in the US end. Vietnam essentially stacked their own end, and rarely counterattacked with numbers. Their strategy was don’t give up a bunch of goals by not really trying to score. If Vietnam sent a real attack the US would have countered with much more space. 

Yeah I mean they seemed happy to just not lose by too much. Their strategy seemed to just kick the ball upfield and back to the US most of the time and defend again.

US seemed off on most things in the game. Passing, shooting, trying to create space, etc. I get it that 6 players were making their WC debut and were probably nervous and it wasn't their best team but they simply needed to be better than that against a team that has no chance.

• Agree 1

As per the usual, I'll be closely following USA, Italia, and Deutschland, especially as we go deep.

Caught Denmark vs. China yesterday; I think my St. Joe's high school team could have soundly beaten either team.  Sort of like watching paint dry.  Both teams played with the structure of a bunch of 6 year olds.

The better teams are fun to watch though.

Each team has now played their first game.

Looked good: Japan, Brazil, Germany, Spain, US

Had problems: England, France, Canada

Later tonight, Switzerland and co-host New Zealand can punch their tickets to the knock-out round.

Edited by DrW

8 hours ago, BritBill said:

I see enough badly played soccer watching my own team without waking up at some un-holy time to watch this on the tele. 

The complete lack of team structure can be appalling at times, but the best teams play much better than that.

Just watched the recent German, Brazilian, and Italian games, and they were all pretty fun to watch.

It'll get a lot more fun deeper in the tourney when good teams play good teams. 

It's the same in all tournaments.

It is hard to root for this team USA when so many of the players are rude and nasty to anyone who does not treat them like royalty. I have met several of them at soccer event in Orlando and none have come off well, most sound like Antonio Brown, all about what is owed to them. I want team USA to win but no one on the team impresses me as a person. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’m sorry, but that was some of the worst soccer I’ve ever seen.  Bunching, errand kicks, poor zoning.  That was just plain ugly.  

I saw better soccer in the friendlies played this past week

• Agree 1

There’s no way the USA wins this.  Players too caught up in nonsense to focus on the game.  A couple players are downright distractions.  I hope they are eliminated in the first round.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Irv said:

There’s no way the USA wins this.  Players too caught up in nonsense to focus on the game.  A couple players are downright distractions.  I hope they are eliminated in the first round.  

There's a support group for all the people too upset by what the blue haired woman said to support their own nation on PPP.  You and the other Patriots can actively cheer for the failure of the country there without derailing a thread about the World Cup.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

There's a support group for all the people too upset by what the blue haired woman said to support their own nation on PPP.  You and the other Patriots can actively cheer for the failure of the country there without derailing a thread about the World Cup.

Don't include me in this.  Have enough penalty points.  You want to talk about the team being distracted about pay, then let's discuss it.  

1 minute ago, Irv said:

Don't include me in this.  Have enough penalty points.  You want to talk about the team being distracted about pay, then let's discuss it.  

You want the US Women to lose because they fought for equal pay to their male colleagues?  This went down a year ago and they won!  Meanwhile the women are talking about how good it is to have the bargaining issues behind them and their focus on the world cup.  Great point.

https://theathletic.com/4718111/2023/07/25/alex-morgan-uswnt-equal-pay/

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/37628561/uswnt-usmnt-cbas-include-equal-pay-why-us-soccer-new-deals-rewrite-history-books

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

You want the US Women to lose because they fought for equal pay to their male colleagues?  This went down a year ago and they won!  Meanwhile the women are talking about how good it is to have the bargaining issues behind them and their focus on the world cup.  Great point.

https://theathletic.com/4718111/2023/07/25/alex-morgan-uswnt-equal-pay/

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/37628561/uswnt-usmnt-cbas-include-equal-pay-why-us-soccer-new-deals-rewrite-history-books

You've made this too political.  I don't want any points.  I'm out.  

2 minutes ago, Irv said:

You've made this too political.  I don't want any points.  I'm out.  

So now you aren't comfortable discussing pay? Which is strange because you introduced the topic of pay to this thread.  By "nonsense" and "distractions" you were clearly only talking about pay

I'm just trying to get to the bottom of why labor issues which were settled a year ago upset you so much that you actively cheer against your own country in international competition.  Is Alex Morgan's paycheck coming out of your pocket?   Meanwhile nearly every other women's national team represented at the world cup is going through the same thing.

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-uswnt-won-equal-pay-the-womens-soccer-world-is-still-fighting-150005810.html

You want our women to lose to other women who have the same audacity to fight for pay equity?  Your position on pay doesn't make a lot of sense to me, Irv.

11 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

So now you aren't comfortable discussing pay? Which is strange because you introduced the topic of pay to this thread.  By "nonsense" and "distractions" you were clearly only talking about pay.

Irv has already been warned and suspended multiple times for bringing political idiocy outside PPP, has already had posts removed from this very thread, has already been warned and suspended for doing this same crap with the USWNT at the last Olympics and probably realizes that he is lucky that he has not already been suspended for a month for starting this garbage yet again.

Whatever you do, please don't goad him into making one more asinine post that will get him tossed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Irv has already been warned and suspended multiple times for bringing political idiocy outside PPP, has already had posts removed from this very thread, has already been warned and suspended for doing this same crap with the USWNT at the last Olympics and probably realizes that he is lucky that he has not already been suspended for a month for starting this garbage yet again.

Whatever you do, please don't goad him into making one more asinine post that will get him tossed.

What he said.  I trust my recent exhibition of self-control is a solid indication that you will be removing penalty points soon! 

Edited by Irv
  • Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

So I see that they had a 1-1 tie yesterday. Was that expected? IOW, should the US women have won that game?

Wasn’t exactly unexpected as it was a rematch of the 2019 final when we beat Netherlands 2-0. The Dutch are always a legit contender. 

I know very little about soccer/football and I'm not too ignorant to know about the social/political issues surrounding the sport and the women's team.  That said, I'm watching as much of this tournament as I possibly can and am going to root for the US women's team until the bitter end.  GO US WOMEN!!!!  let's win this once again!  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, The Poojer said:

about the social/political issues surrounding the sport and the women's team

Well I actually know a good bit about soccer and routinely follow the women's World Cup...but I'm not so sure about these social and political issues surrounding the sport.

What are you talking about?

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

I turned off the Argentina v South Africa game after RSA went up 2-0.  Argentina looked so flat.  So of course they came back to score 2 goals in 25 minutes and tie it up.  Didn't see that coming.

I watched all of Argentina vs. Italy; Argentina has a good team so I'm not surprised by the comeback.

Of course, they were no match for my Italia however!

1200px-Logo_Italy_National_Womens_Footba

26 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Well I actually know a good bit about soccer and routinely follow the women's World Cup...but I'm not so sure about these social and political issues surrounding the sport.

What are you talking about?

Some of the American women playing for the national team are not acknowledging the national anthem while it is playing.  

9 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Some of the American women playing for the national team are not acknowledging the national anthem while it is playing.  

If I may offer some sage advice.  I used to engage in like banter on OTW and Stadium Wall. As a caring member of TBD, OK let's just call me a friend, take my advice.  Take this discussion to PPP where you can address politics in a ladylike and gentlemanly nature with respectful, open-minded, kind, and compassionate board members.  Hope this helps.  

Edited by Irv
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Irv said:

If I may offer some sage advice.  I used to engage like banter on OTW and Stadium Wall. As a caring member of TBD, OK let's just call me a friend, take my advice.  Take this discussion to PPP where you can address politics in a ladylike and gentlemanly nature with respectful, open-minded, kind, and compassionate board members.  Hope this helps.  

I offered no politics in that I took no sides.  I just stated facts, answering a question.  It isn’t like the Jauronimo stuff in the Barbie thread which I’m sure precipitated some warnings.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

I offered no politics in that I took no sides.  I just stated facts, answering a question.  It isn’t like the Jauronimo stuff in the Barbie thread which I’m sure precipitated some warnings.

Yes.  I agree about @Jauronimo and his political vitriol.  Unfamiliar with Barbie.  Try to steer clear of that stuff.  Just trying to help you not get suspended for such like blatant politics.  Let's all be friends on PPP. 

Edited by Irv
  • Sad 1

That was a miserable performance and I regret watching a minute of it.  Either this team has zero chemistry or the rest of the world caught up in a hurry.  Portugal and Netherlands both looked so much more cohesive than the US.  Portugal's passing was so crisp.  Meanwhile the US is playing long ball since they have zero ability to move the ball up field with possession.  

The one thing the US has done well is limit quality scoring chances against.  Portugal had one decent opportunity (which probably should have won the game) and Netherlands were never dangerous despite both teams decidedly winning the battle of possession.  

• Agree 1