FIFA Woman's World Cup...USWNT looking to 3 Peat!

Big Turk

If the line up is the same players and strategy, Sweden will smoke the USA. 

Alex Morgan has done a lot for the USA, but now her most significant contribution would be to sit on the bench. She looks very slow, and opposing teams are not scared of her anymore.

The defense is pretty solid, but it may be time to give the young, quick offensive players a chance. I'd rather go out in a blaze of glory using the new players than to quietly fade away with the older ones. 

Edited by Max Fischer
  • Like (+1) 4

I googled and see USA-SWEDEN  2:00am  on Sunday.  I'm assuming that is my home time zone. I need to investigate that further though.

This thread has made me curious to watch.

2 hours ago, eball said:

So, I’ve only watched the US-Netherlands game in this tournament so far.  Are the US that bad?  Looks like they should have been bounced.  What happened?

Netherlands is a solid team and the US at least played a decent half against them.  The biggest critique for the Netherlands game is they fell behind early and looked dead for 30 minutes.  The second half was domination but only one goal to show for it.  They lack creativity when they cross midfield and are struggling to generate quality scoring opportunities. When they do, they aren't finishing.

They were lucky to get out of Portugal with a draw.  Vietnam should have been a 5 or 6 goal victory.  

They look like an average team and not the #1 seed and overall favorite.  They are struggling to move the ball and generate offense.  Their defense has been mostly sound and they aren't giving up many chances which is the only bright spot of their performance.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, muppy said:

I googled and see USA-SWEDEN  2:00am  on Sunday.  I'm assuming that is my home time zone. I need to investigate that further though.

This thread has made me curious to watch.

You're in San Diego?  Then that's correct, 2:00am our time.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/23/2023 at 8:21 AM, Big Turk said:

Yeah I mean they seemed happy to just not lose by too much. Their strategy seemed to just kick the ball upfield and back to the US most of the time and defend again.

US seemed off on most things in the game. Passing, shooting, trying to create space, etc. I get it that 6 players were making their WC debut and were probably nervous and it wasn't their best team but they simply needed to be better than that against a team that has no chance.

it was a preseason game for them.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

it was a preseason game for them.

Looks like they are still in preseason mode...they should have lost to Portugal, a team that made their first appearance. Only the post saved them in extra time in the second half from being knocked out in the group stage and being embarrassed.

If they aren't careful Sweden will wipe the floor with them like they did in Japan 3-0...they better wake up.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

They had a poor plan against Portugal. The whole first half they tried funneling the offense through Smith on the left side and she kept getting squeezed with nowhere to go. I expected them to change that in the second half, start attacking through the middle, but they didn't. They simply swapped Smith out for Rapinoe and did the same thing.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

Japan continues their run of dominance and bounces Norway from the tournament.

Fun fact: Norway scored the first two goals of the match but ended up losing 3-1

Engen had a very rough day.

Eh?  Did they subtract a goal?

Ah, just saw the first was an own-goal.  Slightly different story.

6 hours ago, Doc said:

Eh?  Did they subtract a goal?

Ah, just saw the first was an own-goal.  Slightly different story.

And Spain also made an own-goal in their match with Netherlands, although they ended up clobbering them anyway. 

Seems like this WWC has had an awful lot of own-goals.

6 minutes ago, eball said:

Pretty pathetic exit for the US women.  Three of them missed the freaking net in PKs — the absolutely only thing you can’t do in that situation.

One being the spokesperson for why they deserve equal pay….

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Irv said:

Buh bye. Embarrassed themselves.  I hope I never see purple head again.  Shameful result.  

If you watch women's soccer in the future, you'll surely to see her as an analyst. 

Edited by Doc
  • Eyeroll 1

Purple/green head too busy promoting herself to practice a PK.  A high school JV player can make that shot.  Selfish loser cost her and her teammates millions in sponsorships.  Pathetic.

Edited by Irv
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Rico said:

There’s always Bud Light.

74015201-12378135-image-a-28_16913257897

Go ahead and squirt a few green head.  Bag some groceries now. She laughed after she missed her PK.  

Edited by Irv
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Well they have won titles. Just not this time.

I get that.  But is the money generated by the women’s team even comparable to the women’s?

Should Meghan Trainor make the same as Taylor Swift on tour?  Hell no.  More people want to see swift and pay more to do it. 

If the women generated more than then men, then the women should then make more than the men.  Gender and performance have nothing to do with it to me.  They are entertainers and their value is based on the money they generate.  

If women supported the women’s soccer team the way they supported Taylor Swift, the Barbie movie, or the Kardashians, then the women’s soccer team would be the richest athletes on the planet.  

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I get that.  But is the moment generated by the women’s team even comparable to the women’s?

Should Meghan Trainor make the same as Taylor Swift on tour?  Hell no.  More people want to see swift and pay more to do it. 

If the women generated more than then men, then the women should then make more than the men.  Gender and performance have nothing to do with it to me.  They are entertainers and their value is based on the money they generate.  

If women supported the women’s soccer team the way they supported Taylor Swift, the Barbie movie, or the Kardashians, then the women’s soccer team would be the richest athletes on the planet.  

This is true, but you understand there are folks who think math is a fascist concept.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

I get that.  But is the money generated by the women’s team even comparable to the women’s?

2 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

This is true, but you understand there are folks who think math is a fascist concept.

Revenue arguments aren't cut and dry.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/07/08/are-us-womens-soccer-players-really-earning-less-than-men/

The Women's World Cup definitely generates less revenue than the men's cup. But USA Soccer revenues are combined, and you can argue that the Women's team earned more revenue by winning 4 World Cups and 4 Olympic gold medals, than the men who only reached the World Cup quarters once since 1930 and only won a silver medal in the Olympics (in 1904.)

As for this year's result, it's pretty obvious the advantage US women had thanks to Title IX has evaporated. The rest of the world takes women's sports just as seriously and have caught up. They can't just show up and win anymore.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/07/08/are-us-womens-soccer-players-really-earning-less-than-men/

The Women's World Cup definitely generates less revenue than the men's cup. But USA Soccer revenues are combined, and you can argue that the Women's team earned more revenue by winning 4 World Cups and 4 Olympic gold medals, than the men who only reached the World Cup quarters once since 1930 and only won a silver medal in the Olympics (in 1904.)

As for this year's result, it's pretty obvious the advantage US women had thanks to Title IX has evaporated. The rest of the world takes women's sports just as seriously and have caught up. They can't just show up and win anymore.

That's strange to me that they can't tell where the revenue comes from.  Between ticket sales, jersey sales, and the way we can track what everyone watches on TV...how do we not know.  

I'm not saying it towards you, just overall.  I would just assume with how popular soccer is across the world, dwarfing all US sports combined, that the men's world cup would bring in a ton more money.  Therefor, based off revenue share, it would make sense that the women would make less.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

That's strange to me that they can't tell where the revenue comes from.  Between ticket sales, jersey sales, and the way we can track what everyone watches on TV...how do we not know.  

I'm not saying it towards you, just overall.  I would just assume with how popular soccer is across the world, dwarfing all US sports combined, that the men's world cup would bring in a ton more money.  Therefor, based off revenue share, it would make sense that the women would make less.  

But when it comes to what players get paid, it all comes down to what USA Soccer brings in. And let's be honest. The women's team has been way more successful...until today.

• Eyeroll 1

59 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

47 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

But when it comes to what players get paid, it all comes down to what USA Soccer brings in. And let's be honest. The women's team has been way more successful...until today.

Except it's about money brought in, not success per se.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

A lot of attention on Rapinoe here, but was Smith not the biggest disappointment? For all the hype she gets, she totally sucked.

Rapinoe puts herself in the spotlight and was front and center of the equal pay discussion, which is why she gets so much attention.  

Which, considering she didn’t enter until OT is strange.  

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I’ll be honest, I don’t know how all of that works 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

Rapinoe puts herself in the spotlight and was front and center of the equal pay discussion, which is why she gets so much attention.  

Which, considering she didn’t enter until OT is strange.  

The depth chart dynamics have nothing to do with the off-field politics. There are people in that spotlight who don't even play for the team.

Based on actual performance expectations, Smith was a huge disappointment. Slow, indecisive, and imprecise.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Yes. I said that. How much money does USA Soccer bring in.

The more pertinent question as it pertains to whether the women deserve to get paid as much as the money is how much does each US soccer league bring in?

• Like (+1) 1