Buffalo 66 came out 25 years ago yesterday

Another Fan

In my history I started a thread when the movie was 20 years old 5 years ago.  Back then it seemed to get mixed reviews on the site

Now it’s 25 years.  So out of curiosity I’m gonna see if opinions have changed on it.  The Josh Allen era has happened since.   I do love the film and it’s probably in my top 10 of all time.  Although I’ll admit some of it looks a little dated watching it today.  

The quote now that stands out to me is Mickey Rourkes character telling Billy if Buffalo ever makes it back to the big game bet against them.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I had never heard of it until opening this, so I’m guess that’s a bonus for me! 

I hadn't seen it until someone here started a thread about it several years ago. In short, the main character is despicable, and when he goes home to visit his parents in Buffalo, you understand why he's that way. I had mixed feelings about it. It was gripping in a way, but uncomfortable. Some people don't like movies like that, but I find them interesting. It's not a "feel good" movie, other than feeling good that I was raised by much better people than his parents.

I have a friend who's a psychology professor. She teaches a course called "Life Span Development," which she jokingly describes as, "101 ways to blame your parents." I suggested that she see Buffalo 66. I don't know if she did.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I hadn't seen it until someone here started a thread about it several years ago. In short, the main character is despicable, and when he goes home to visit his parents in Buffalo, you understand why he's that way. I had mixed feelings about it. It was gripping in a way, but uncomfortable. Some people don't like movies like that, but I find them interesting. It's not a "feel good" movie, other than feeling good that I was raised by much better people than his parents.

I have a friend who's a psychology professor. She teaches a course called "Life Span Development," which she jokingly describes as, "101 ways to blame your parents." I suggested that she see Buffalo 66. I don't know if she did.

I have a friend who was going thru some stuff and seeing a therapist. After a while he said something like “look, this is great, but it’s NOT my parents! Can we move on?” 

He said that she later “fired” him.   😂 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

It was probably me as well.  Lol

I thought that's what made the movie great though as it progressed.  You see a little more beneath his exterior.  Although after watching it a few times Billy's behavior is just straight hilarious to me in the first few minutes.   Added as well that was Vincent's childhood home in Williamsville (I believe) where he knocked on the door 

51 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Love that film!!!

Love the use of Heart of The Sunrise and Sweetness in it by Yes 

Edited by Another Fan

Liked the movie when I was a teenager.  I was very into avant garde stuff like Donny Darko, Adaptation, Eternal Sunshine, Pans Labyrinth etc.  But, I think if I watched it now I'd probably find it too grimy to be enjoyable.   Have the same feeling when I am watching movies directed by Darren Aronofsky now.   I dont mind to feel a little sad watching movies, but hopelessness just makes me depressed. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.