Buffalo 66 came out 25 years ago yesterday

Another Fan

While I can’t stand this “enlightened era” or a lot of things about it watching the film itself recently I can’t help but think of Laylas perspective.  Like why did she like Billy?  What’s her back story?  The film is just seen through Billy’s eyes 

14 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

I've never seen it.  Is it based on any actual events or places in Buffalo?

Doesn't it have a nod to Wide Right in the movie as well?

Way back in the day I rented it or my dad did for all the Buffalo nods like that.

But it’s really not a movie to watch for feel good nostalgia or Buffalo Bills references which you know I’m all about.  It’s still a favorite of mine though 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

What's the backstory on that?  I don't know all that much about Gallo but he was in that NFL Films video about the Bills called "A Town, A Team, A Dream" and my impressions of him is that he was kind of a loser/outcast type...so yeah how did he pull that off?  

Chicks dig artists.

17 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

I've never seen it.  Is it based on any actual events or places in Buffalo?

Doesn't it have a nod to Wide Right in the movie as well?

The whole movie is based on wide right! 
Gallo’s character Billy Brown did time in place of someone else as a means to settle a gambling debt.  He’d lost a huge bet on Buffalo in the Super Bowl when ‘Scotty Wood’ blew what would’ve been a winning field goal.  
Billy never had his mother’s love or attention. She’s an obsessed Bills fan who blames him for missing the Bills’ last championship win, thanks to his birth during the game played in ‘66.  
She blames him being born for missing a historic Bills game! That’s how whacky this story is. 

Billy seeks revenge on Wood who cost him the chance to finally gain his mother’s affection.  

Billy’s mother is played by Angelica Huston, and his passive father was played by Ben Gazzara. 

the movie is bizarre in some scenes, but overall interesting and artsy. Don’t know if it’s more appealing for me because of the Bills story angle. 

Edited by SoMAn
  • Like (+1) 6

14 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

The whole movie is based on wide right! 
Gallo’s character Billy Brown did time in place of someone else as a means to settle a gambling debt.  He’d lost a huge bet on Buffalo in the Super Bowl when ‘Scotty Wood’ blew what would’ve been a winning field goal.  
Billy never had his mother’s love or attention. She’s an obsessed Bills fan who blames him for missing the Bills’ last championship win, thanks to his birth during the game played in ‘66. 

Billy seeks revenge on Wood who cost him the chance to finally gain his mother’s affection.  

Billy’s mother is played by Angelica Huston, and his passive father was wonderfully played by Robert Forster who you may also remember as the owner of the Vacuum Cleaner store in Breaking Bad. 

the movie is bizarre in some scenes, but overall interesting and artsy. Don’t know if it’s more appealing for me because of the Bills story angle. 

I think you got his dad confused, was Ben Gazzara.  

Kind of a cool thing if you didn’t know the scene where he sings that song to Layla it’s actually Vincent’s dad voice Vincent Gallo sr 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Kind of a cool thing if you didn’t know the scene where he sings that song to Layla it’s actually Vincent’s dad voice Vincent Gallo sr 

correct. Don't know why I was thinking Robert Forester. And yes, I knew about the singing. That was another bizarre scene. He acted very creepy towards Layla, but she either didn't notice or didn't care. She just went along with everything, even being kidnapped. Nothing bothered her.

34 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

correct. Don't know why I was thinking Robert Forester. And yes, I knew about the singing. That was another bizarre scene. He acted very creepy towards Layla, but she either didn't notice or didn't care. She just went along with everything, even being kidnapped. Nothing bothered her.

I agree.  

Would have liked to hear her point of view more why she loved Billy.  I’m guessing she sees beyond the rough exterior?  Like with the Wendy balsam story 

Just now, Another Fan said:

I agree.  

Would have liked to hear her point of view more why she loved Billy.  I’m guessing she sees beyond the rough exterior?  Like with the Wendy balsam story 

I imagined that maybe her life was a fairly mundane Buffalo kind of existence and when this obvious loser came along, she figured he was harmless just went along with everything out of curiosity and to be adventurous. 

• Agree 2

I liked the movie and it's time for another watch. 

Awkward at times but quintessential Buffalo- if you lived in the city or have family there you know people just like the Gallo character and his screen family.

A wayward, rejected son with Bills fandom as the scapegoat.  Sad but way too many dynamics to blame this on the Bills- but it is true in the son's eyes regardless.

Just had to watch a few minutes of it. 
If you don’t get the dark humor, you can’t appreciate it. 

the scene I just saw was Billy telling Layla (who he just kidnapped) he’s going to introduce her to his parents, and she better not make a fool of him or he will kill her right there. She barely reacts. She knows he’s all bluster.
He then says ‘ If you make me look bad, I will never talk to you again. Ever’

But if she does a good job she can ‘be his best friend’. 
For me, that’s hilarious.  

• Like (+1) 2

Am I the only person who finds it odd he kept using the phrase “spanning time” with Christina Ricci’s character? I mean maybe it’s supposed to be that Gallo’s character isn’t good with words, but it’s odd how he keeps saying spanning time within one scene, where obviously the word to use should probably be “spending time.”

Edited by Jim
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Another Fan said:

His best work was on this one imo... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_for_Your_Life_(TV_series)

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Jim said:

Am I the only person who finds it odd he kept using the phrase “spanning time” with Christina Ricci’s character? I mean maybe it’s supposed to be that Gallo’s character isn’t good with words, but it’s odd how he keeps saying spanning time within one scene, where obviously the word to use should probably be “spending time.”

I believe ‘spanning time’ is an acceptable euphemism for extended periods of (often wasted) time. 
Since seeing that movie many years ago, it’s a phrase used frequently during spats with my wife. We can diffuse tense arguments by saying, “ok then, I guess we’re just spanning time”.  

humor is really the key to ‘spanning time’ with the same person for a long time 😊 

• Like (+1) 1

Loved that movie but gallo became a total weirdo. Turned on Buffalo because his sister (and sounds like him) like young girls. 

Buffalo has come a long way since then though. 

19 hours ago, Jim said:

I think she was also underage. 

22 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I own the movie…so thumbs up from me in this one.  

I lent it to an ex and will never get it back. 😞

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/27/2023 at 4:27 PM, May Day 10 said:

I think its a terrific movie.  Kind of paints Buffalo in a bit of a negative light, but it is deserved

No Buffalo "homage" can possibly be better than the end of Christopher Guest's "A Mighty Wind".  A former big time star folk singer is at the end of her career, and has broken up with her famous male partner.

There's a scene designed to show "how low can you go?" and they show her performing an advertising jingle at an adult incontinence product trade show in.....BUFFALO, NY.

She's singing with a guitar:  "No need to leave them cold and damp......SURE FLOW, SURE FLOW."

And then they cut away.  Pure Chris Guest comic brilliance....and you know they kicked around ideas of where it was supposed to happen in the writing room....someone probably said "Flint, MI!" and then someone said "Little Rock, AK!' and then someone said, "No, Toledo, Ohio!" and then someone said, "I've got it, I've got it!  Buffalo, NY!'" and they all laughed and said "THAT'S IT!"

On 6/30/2023 at 7:56 AM, Mr. WEO said:

Onanistas 

I doubt there are more than a handful of readers here who get the reference. 

I have a book of Mark Twain essays, and one of them was from a speech he gave in Paris in 1879 titled, ‘Some Thoughts on the Science of Onanism’. 

The guy was whacked! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.