McDermott & Beane Extended Through 2027

BritBill

4 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I think Allen is physically more gifted then Kelly. 

However, there's no way you can put Allen ahead of Kelly. It's just an unfair comparasion. 

Kelly is a hall of famer whose career has ended. Allen hasn't even sniffed what Kelly has accomplished nor has he played enough football. 

It would be Kelly hands down for me if I had to pick one right now based on what we know. 

The major reasons are I knew Kelly would get It done when the game was on the line. I recall thinking over and over please give Kelly a chance. Get the ball back. Most often Kelly was able to be successful. I just don't have the same level of confidence in Allen. That's not a knock on Allen as it is a compliment to Kelly. 

Secondly, Kelly made four straight SB appearances. Should have a ring but wide right still haunts many Bills fans. That feat is quite remarkable despite falling short. Allen had to earn his way past Kelly. With time hopefully he does. He's not there yet. 

"what we know" is that, in the biggest game on the line, Kelly didn't deliver.

Vs the Giants, he had a few decent drivers, but Thurman was the star of the Offense.  Vs Washington,  Kelly threw a whopping 58 times (for an anemic 275 yards)and completed only 28 (32 if you count his 4 ints).  Vs Dallas 1, he left the game after 7 attempts, but not before tossing 2 ints. Vs Dallas 2, 50 passes, 0 TDs, 1 INT.

It's easy to consider that Kelly's SB performances cost them at least 1 ring.

I can't imagine any other poster would take prime Kelly or Allen in his current prime "based on what we know".

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think this is a good take.  The only way the Super Bowl is relevant is if there is some fan uprising, a revolt of sorts, but the only relevant part of a fan revolution would be decrease in ticket sales.   If they're competitive and selling tickets, McBeane probably are safe.  

As others have said, may times, all this "hot seat" stuff is just something to write and talk about during the off season.  

Despite the volume of posts, it seems to just be a handful of posters who think the 14-4 coach from last season is on a hot seat. That is just silly talk at this point. If things turn south? Sure, but let’s talk about it then. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

The only way the Pegulas get tired of the McBeane show is if 1. they start having a losing record and fall out of playoff contention or 2. the organisation or someone within it commits some kind of scandal or becomes toxic in a way that forever tarnishes the brand

IMO, not winning a Super Bowl is not a factor in maintaining economic vitality.

Winning a SB has never been a factor in maintaining an NFL team's economic vitality.  Shared revenue tasks care of that. The rest is just hats and jerseys.

35 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Agree, but I see it more as a business decision.

In the 1st new stadium behind-the-scenes video they just posted, they said "the best thing the Buffalo Bills can do to enhance economic vitality in our community is win football games."

As fans, we don't want to hear it, but that does NOT mean winning a Super Bowl. It simply means being a winning team, a playoff team, a consistent contender, just a damn likeable team. 

Terry knows that the McBeane team is a winning team and he will draw that out for as long as possible to ensure economic vitality.

This ^^^^^

We as fans, at least most just want a Super Bowl, especially ones that lived and agonized through 4 straight Super Bowl loses.  We want that embarrassment gone for us, our team and most importantly our city.

Terry is a business guy 1st, as is almost all owners, and business people in this country.  12 years straight of playoffs and no Super Bowl is way more profitable and better ROI, especially in Buffalo then loading up to win 1 Super Bowl.

All the data about McD showing he is likely never make let alone win a Super Bowl does not matter, as infuriating as it is to me and so many.  Terry doesn’t care.  I mean if they happen to win one along the way great, but “sustained success” means sustained profits for as long as possible.  McD may not be good for winning Super Bowl, but he for sure is good for business.  As long as that is true, all we can do is hope and pray he overcomes all the historical data, current trends, and likely luck to actually be the outlier and actually win the Super Bowl.

Edited by Billsflyer12

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

"what we know" is that, in the biggest game on the line, Kelly didn't deliver.

Vs the Giants, he had a few decent drivers, but Thurman was the star of the Offense.  Vs Washington,  Kelly threw a whopping 58 times (for an anemic 275 yards)and completed only 28 (32 if you count his 4 ints).  Vs Dallas 1, he left the game after 7 attempts, but not before tossing 2 ints. Vs Dallas 2, 50 passes, 0 TDs, 1 INT.

It's easy to consider that Kelly's SB performances cost them at least 1 ring.

I can't imagine any other poster would take prime Kelly or Allen in his current prime "based on what we know".

Love Jim Kelly, but Allen is flat out better today than Kelly was at his peak.  I would take Allen right now to win a game for us any day of the year over Kelly.  

And spot on, Kelly was meh to terrible in all 4 Super Bowls.  Somehow he escapes criticism of those games more than anyone, but they were not good performances at all.  In fact, 3 of the 4 were terrible and the Giants one was just meh.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not inspired by the defensive assistant situation and have said that many times. I am not as down on Dorey as you but I agree about the tantrum and I called him out on it here at the time to much criticism. 

Am I inspired by the people running the franchise? Yes. It comes down to my belief that McDermott and Beane > Rivera and Gettleman. 

I'm not all that down on Dorsey at the moment as you may think, but the offense needs to be far more rounded this season, more balanced between passing & rushing (RBs rushing that is, not Allen rushing).  But I will say, if after this season those issues still persist, then IMO it's time to consider another OC.  I was incredibly high on Dorsey before last season began.  I was an enormous fan of his while he was at Miami.  So it's hardly like I came in with a preconceived bias.  

I'm not as big a fan of Rivera as you seem to be.  IMO he's not a good coach.  He's achieved nothing significant.  As a HC his passing Ds have been poor.  His career W/L record is barely above .500.  (.521)  

I don't want to bring Beane/Gettleman into the convo at this point.  No need right now.  That's after the season stuff.  

8 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

This ^^^^^

We as fans, at least most just want a Super Bowl, especially ones that lived and agonized through 4 straight Super Bowl loses.  We want that embarrassment gone for us, our team and most importantly our city.

Terry is a business guy 1st, as is almost all owners, and business people in this country.  12 years straight of playoffs and no Super Bowl is way more profitable and better ROI, especially in Buffalo then loading up to win 1 Super Bowl.

All the data about McD showing he is likely never make let alone win a Super Bowl does not matter, as infuriating as it is to me and so many.  Terry doesn’t care.  I mean if they happen to win one along the way great, but “sustained success” means sustained profits for as long as possible.  McD may not be good for winning Super Bowl, but he for sure is good for business.  As long as that is true, all we can do is hope and pray he overcomes all the historical data, current trends, and likely luck to actually be the outlier and actually win the Super Bowl. 

Interesting post!  

Another poster recently made the comment that Buffalo doesn't own a single sports championship trophy in any major league sport, with the implication that until it does, will always be considered a second-rate sports city.  

I guess that's a topic for debate.  

25 minutes ago, Augie said:

Despite the volume of posts, it seems to just be a handful of posters who think the 14-4 coach from last season is on a hot seat. That is just silly talk at this point. If things turn south? Sure, but let’s talk about it then. 

And every single thread on the message board turns into the same thread thanks to those posters.  Luckily I don’t have to read them.  Unfortunately, all the posters I enjoy reading are replying to them 24/7 and the whole message board is on a loop.  Same **** every day

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I'm not all that down on Dorsey at the moment as you may think, but the offense needs to be far more rounded this season, more balanced between passing & rushing (RBs rushing that is, not Allen rushing).  But I will say, if after this season those issues still persist, then IMO it's time to consider another OC.  I was incredibly high on Dorsey before last season began.  I was an enormous fan of his while he was at Miami.  So it's hardly like I came in with a preconceived bias.  

I'm not as big a fan of Rivera as you seem to be.  IMO he's not a good coach.  He's achieved nothing significant.  As a HC his passing Ds have been poor.  His career W/L record is barely above .500.  (.521)  

I don't want to bring Beane/Gettleman into the convo at this point.  No need right now.  That's after the season stuff.  

I'm not that big a fan of Rivera earlier. Don't know where you got that from.

21 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Agree with that.  The flip side is, with one game you’d better be ready to give it your best shot - and out-strategize the other team.  My feel is that McD deferred to Leslie wrt game planning on defense and Leslie’s view was basically, “I’m not changing what got us here.”  As a result they’ve been out-schemed on defense in the playoffs during McD’s entire tenure.  

An exception is the Ravens playoff game which he came up with a completely new defense which frustrated Raven's MVP QB forcing him to stay in pocket and then make mistakes which cost him the game.  This game plan has been duplicated by other teams which have the talent successfully.

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/24/2023 at 9:42 AM, Einstein said:

Uhm, no.

Reid made the AFC Championship game in year 3, 4, 5, and 6. And went to the Super Bowl in year 6.

By the same point in his career that McDermott is in now, Reid had been in 3 more championship games and a Super Bowl.

I must admit. I laughed when I saw that @Augie liked your post that was filled with factual errors. Shows that some posters don’t want facts - they simply want their feelings and opinions validated.

Lets play a game of who can count and who’s not as smart as he thinks he is.

Reid got to KC in the 2013-2014 season. 
Here’s a list of the AFC Championship games, beginning with the 2013-2014 season:

2013-2014. Den. 26-NE 16

2014-2015 NE 45- Indy 7

2015-2016 Den 20- NE 18

2016-2017 NE 26-Pitt 17

2017-2018 NE 24-Jax 20

2018-2019 NE 37-KC 31

Yeah I’m no Einstein, but my math shows 6 seasons before Reid got to the his first AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. Unless he was moonlighting as another team’s coach. 
Let me help you out: A is the first letter in the alphabet. I believe N is 14th. 

I must admit I laughed when @BILLL, @LABILLBACKER and @PBF81 liked your post that was filled with factual errors. Shows that some posters don’t want facts - they simply want their feelings and opinions validated.

😂😂

Whoo boy!!

Thanks @Augie

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, CodeMonkey said:

Probably figure they aren't going to do any better so double down and go for it. Plus remember, it's not just about a superbowl.  It's about making money.  And this current team puts asses in the seats, even these considerably more expensive ones.

Fair. But winning a Super Bowl would yield a lot more revenue.

The more you win, the more money the franchise makes. (Needless to say)

40 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Lets play a game of who can count and who’s not as smart as he thinks he is.

Reid got to KC in the 2013-2014 

Lol so you were purposefully being deceptive by talking about when Reid made his first afc championship game on his second team? So… not his first championship game? And completely irrelevant to our discussions in this thread. He had been in FIVE CHAMPIONSHIP games prior to that second team. 

While we are at, it took Tom Brady over 20 years to make his first NFC Championship game! That totally proves that QB’s should be given 20 years to prove their worth! Makes sense.

This is embarrassing for both you and @Augie

Edited by Einstein

On 6/23/2023 at 10:11 AM, BeastMaster said:

Amazing how you can under perform in the playoffs year after year, and get rewarded for it.

I guess management is similar to many fans, and they are simply content not being the old Bills that were never a threat to even make the playoffs

Snap out of it dude, fantasy football is not real. 

It is amazing that so many don’t know that winning one’s division for three consecutive years, and making the playoffs repeatedly is the sign of a successful team, by your logic, or lack there in, every team that doesn’t win the Super bowl needs to fire their GM & Coaches, every couple of years, regardless of how counter productive doing so would be. Beane said early on in his tenure that he is building and maintaining a team that is competitive every season, and you know what? He did just that, and everyone thinks that it is a solid plan, except for a hand full of knuckleheads around here. Those knuckleheads should just switch their fandom to what ever team wins the super bowl from year to year, that way they can always feel good about themselves…, 😂 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm not that big a fan of Rivera earlier. Don't know where you got that from.

Well, OK, fair.  I made an assumption there.  But when you say that ... 

It comes down to my belief that McDermott and Beane > Rivera and Gettleman.

To me that's akin to saying It comes down to my belief that McDermott and Beane > Rick Smith and Bill O'Brien.

A lot of Coach/GM tandems are better than Rivera and Gettleman.  Or in our context, better than Donahoe/Williams or Whaley/Marrone & Ryan.  None any great shakes.  Just sayin', it says very little given that Rivera is an incredibly average coach at best.  

So far, McD hasn't even achieved the highest that Rivera has however, which was at least a Super Bowl appearance, which Rivera did in his 5th season, McD now in his 7th.  Both have a similar playoff history otherwise;  

Rivera is 3-4 in the postseason.  1-1 in WC games, 1-2 in D-Round games, 1-0 in CCGs, and 0-1 in the SB.  

McD is 4-5 in the postseason.  3-2 in WC games, 1-2 in D-Round games, 0-1 in CCGs.  N/A in teh SB.  

Neither has won a road playoff game.  

I'm not seeing much of a difference come playoff time.  In fact, their teams' playoff performances are remarkably similar, not positively either.  

And to repeat myself, and ironically, we now have the same staff that Rivera had as his top assistants in Carolina leading us.  

FWIW 

13 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

It is amazing that so many don’t know that winning one’s division for three consecutive years, and making the playoffs repeatedly is the sign of a successful team, ...

That's another loaded argument when the QBs in the division have been Newton, Jones, Zach Wilson, Darnold, Fitzpatrick, and a rookie and otherwise issue-laden Tua that hasn't completed a full season yet.  Kind of like Belichick/Brady having 20 years of crap QBs to "contend" with essentially handing them a pass in the division throughout that tenure. 

To wit, McD was 0-6 vs. Brady's Pats while barely being able to average 10 PPG in those 6 matchups.  McD also hasn't exactly disproven that he can't beat better teams in the playoffs otherwise either.  

My point is that there are better arguments.  

9 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

So happy to see this on many different levels.  They deserve the keys to the franchise and the unburdened opportunity to drive us to a championship or more.   I believe they will. 

Sounds good for now, but allow me to ask, for how many more seasons if further playoff futility and underachievement continues?  

23 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

It is amazing that so many don’t know that winning one’s division for three consecutive years, and making the playoffs repeatedly is the sign of a successful team

It depends on how you define success.

The only goal of the NFL is to win a Super Bowl.

There is no trophy for making the playoffs or winning the division.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

My phone showed me some Yahoo article that said something like the Bills are under the most pressure to win of any team.  So, it's more than a few Wahoos here.  Still, like you, I think it's a lot of Ballyhoo.  

22 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Snap out of it dude, fantasy football is not real. 

It is amazing that so many don’t know that winning one’s division for three consecutive years, and making the playoffs repeatedly is the sign of a successful team, by your logic, or lack there in, every team that doesn’t win the Super bowl needs to fire their GM & Coaches, every couple of years, regardless of how counter productive doing so would be. Beane said early on in his tenure that he is building and maintaining a team that is competitive every season, and you know what? He did just that, and everyone thinks that it is a solid plan, except for a hand full of knuckleheads around here. Those knuckleheads should just switch their fandom to what ever team wins the super bowl from year to year, that way they can always feel good about themselves…, 😂 

Sure, it's a solid plan to build a team meant to sustain success over an extended period of time...I will agree with you on this point.

What I will disagree with is the notion that myself or anyone else should be called names because we would like to see a strive for greatness and not being accepting of a lower standard...whether that standard is solid or above solid, for that matter.

And telling a lifelong Bills fan that they should switch teams insinuating that someone like me is a bandwagon fan is also something that I personally find insulting and not how a fellow member of this community should conduct themselves. 

18 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

My phone showed me some Yahoo article that said something like the Bills are under the most pressure to win of any team.  So, it's more than a few Wahoos here.  Still, like you, I think it's a lot of Ballyhoo.  

I believe that the extensions are a public vote of confidence for McDermott and Beane. It gives the impression that the Pegulas are strongly behind this regime (and they very well may be). It certainly can’t hurt. But without the contract details there is no way to tell how much of that is sincere versus PR. The important aspect is the guarantees. If the contracts are fully guaranteed through 2027, then that’s a huge vote of confidence. If there are no new guarantees, then it’s just PR. We don’t have any way of knowing which it is - and I don’t expect those details to come out. That usually only happens after a firing - and not always even then. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.