Kaiir Elam Interview By Cover 1, great insight into his development last year and prep for 2023.

stosh64

Interesting piece on the Athletic at the weekend about Kansas City drafting McDuffie who (wrongly based on my info) lots of people presume the Bills would have taken and then panicked and traded up for Elam. 

The Chiefs according to the article had four first round corner grades - Sauce, Stingley, McDuffie and Elam. And they worked out the parameters of the trade up with New England 2 days before the draft at a point when they thought McDuffie might be already out of reach. So while they stop short of saying it one wonders whether in another world Elam might have been their trade up target. It also rather supports Beane's thesis that Elam wasn't dropping much further. If other teams had them graded anything like the Chiefs and Bills he was at that point the only 1st round corner left. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 12
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I hope he figures it out. He played significantly better in the playoffs than he did in the regular season.

Unlike Gunner I do believe the Bills would have preferred McDuffie. The look on their faces when KC moved up to get him told a story. And the Bills said Elam was their last 1st round grade. So either you believe the Bills had McDuffie as a 2nd round grade (which makes no sense), or the Bills had McDuffie higher than Elam. But it doesn’t matter now.

• Disagree 5

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I hope he figures it out. He played significantly better in the playoffs than he did in the regular season.

Unlike Gunner I do believe the Bills would have preferred McDuffie. The look on their faces when KC moved up to get him told a story. And the Bills said Elam was their last 1st round grade. So either you believe the Bills had McDuffie as a 2nd round grade (which makes no sense), or the Bills had McDuffie higher than Elam. But it doesn’t matter now.

Where was this video?  As for the rest, they could have had McDuffie as a 1st rounder and after he got selected, Elam would have been the last 1st round graded player left on their board.  And why doesn't it make sense that McDuffie could have been rated a 2nd rounder by them?  Woolen was rated a post-4th rounder by everyone.

• Thank you (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Einstein said:

No it doesn't. It might mean the Bills had McDuffie as a 1st, but had Elam higher OR it might mean that McDuffie was not on their final board because he doesn't meet their physical profile. 

And I repeat someone much closer to the team than I has since confirmed to me that McDuffie wasn't their target. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

41 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

it might mean that McDuffie was not on their final board because he doesn't meet their physical profile

if he didn't meet their physical profile, then there is no reason to meet with him pre-draft, not to mention the reports after the draft that Beane was high on McDuffie.

KC also moved up ahead of us for a reason - just like we moved ahead of Dallas because we know they were high on Kincaid, KC may have moved ahead of us because they knew we were high on McDuffie.

41 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And I repeat someone much closer to the team than I has since confirmed to me that McDuffie wasn't their target. 

Isn't it amazing how the player any team gets was always "their target all along"? This is a common trope. When a team loses the player they wanted, it always become "oh we wanted option B the entire time".

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Where was this video?

I saw it on a tweet once, where there was massive discussion of the Bills wanting McDuffie.

It was a video of the Bills board room and it was just announced that the Chiefs moved up (and everyone knew it was to get McDuffie), and Terrance Gray exasperates "they moved ahead of us" and the scout to his left is looking worried, and Beane starts to get on the phone to move up as well.

Then you add to the fact that KC moved ahead of us for a reason. They didn't waste a 3rd round pick jumping ahead of us because they thought we were taking Elam.

14 minutes ago, Einstein said:

if he didn't meet their physical profile, then there is no reason to meet with him pre-draft, not to mention the reports after the draft that Beane was high on McDuffie.

KC also moved up ahead of us for a reason - just like we moved ahead of Dallas because we know they were high on Kincaid, KC may have moved ahead of us because they knew we were high on McDuffie.

Isn't it amazing how the player any team gets was always "their target all along"? This is a common trope. When a team loses the player they wanted, it always become "oh we wanted option B the entire time".

Reports from who? I bet my source is better placed to know. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I saw it on a tweet once, where there was massive discussion of the Bills wanting McDuffie.

It was a video of the Bills board room and it was just announced that the Chiefs moved up (and everyone knew it was to get McDuffie), and Terrance Gray exasperates "they moved ahead of us" and the scout to his left is looking worried, and Beane starts to get on the phone to move up as well.

Then you add to the fact that KC moved ahead of us for a reason. They didn't waste a 3rd round pick jumping ahead of us because they thought we were taking Elam.

They had done the deal to move up in principle two days before the draft when they potentially thought McDuffie was gone. I think had McDuffie gone at say #16 the Chiefs may well have gone to #21 anyway and taken Elam. The article is pretty clear it was about being in position to get one of their 4 first round corner grades. They were slightly surprised McDuffie was there. It wasn't an impulsive "McDuffie is there, let's jump the Bills"

5 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

So how did McDuffie do his first season ?  Better than Elam ?

Sorry I don't follow the chiefs that closely.

Yea more consistent certainly, although not without his own struggles - the Superbowl being one. He was always more pro-ready than Elam though. 

• Like (+1) 1

All these opinions on the Elam pick presented as facts… 

Note that certain posters find / create a negative view of management and the pick, same old same old. 

I expect Kaiir (jack) Elam to have a very productive upcoming season and career with Buffalo, but maybe that’s just me, 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

So how did McDuffie do his first season ?  Better than Elam ?

Sorry I don't follow the chiefs that closely.

Yes, McDuffie was significantly better than Elam in their rookie season. Doesnt mean he will always be better. But "so far" he is.

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Reports from who? I bet my source is better placed to know. 

I think it was Billswire (it's been a year).

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They had done the deal to move up in principle two days before the draft when they potentially thought McDuffie was gone. I think had McDuffie gone at say #16 the Chiefs may well have gone to #21 anyway and taken Elam. The article is pretty clear it was about being in position to get one of their 4 first round corner grades. They were slightly surprised McDuffie was there. It wasn't an impulsive "McDuffie is there, let's jump the Bills"

It was the day before the draft. And they were talking to the Patriots because the Patriots were right above us in the draft order. That was the entire point of talking to NE and working that trade before the draft. They didn't pick the Patriots out of thin air.

They wanted McDuffie the entire time and they knew they had to get in front of us to guarantee getting him. "Veach had his eye on him right from the beginning” Andy Reid said and the Chiefs GM said they moved up to get ahead of teams that needed a CB. Who needed a CB ahead of them? The Bills. “Knowing some of the team needs that were directly in front of us (were looking for a CB)" - Veach.

It's all circumstantial evidence, but the evidence is strong.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Yes, McDuffie was significantly better than Elam in their rookie season. Doesnt mean he will always be better. But "so far" he is.

“significantly better”…

I think most people would say both were solid in their rookie years.

The biggest difference is narrative.  

McDuffie got more of a leash and is entrenched in his starting spot.  

Elam, despite making plays in his time on the field, still hasn’t locked down a spot and always had a longer ways to go given his lack of experience playing zone. 

10 minutes ago, Einstein said:

It was the day before the draft. And they were talking to the Patriots because the Patriots were right above us in the draft order. That was the entire point of talking to NE and working that trade before the draft. They didn't pick the Patriots out of thin air.

They wanted McDuffie the entire time and they knew they had to get in front of us to guarantee getting him. "Veach had his eye on him right from the beginning” Andy Reid said and the Chiefs GM said they moved up to get ahead of teams that needed a CB. Who needed a CB ahead of them? The Bills. “Knowing some of the team needs that were directly in front of us (were looking for a CB)" - Veach.

It's all circumstantial evidence, but the evidence is strong.

No, it only fits perfectly if that is already the answer in your head. The article also says they were surprised he was there and that they were determined to secure one of their guys. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

We've heard directly that Elam was, at times, not performing well in practice last year. That's what seems have led to his not winning the starting job outright throughout his rookie season.

With that said, as the season went on, he played pretty well when the games actually counted. Beane said as much, too, I believe.

The question is, can he clean up the practice stuff? Can he be dependable and in the right place often enough in a practice setting to earn the trust of the coaching staff, so that he can seize that CB2 spot and not let it go?

I anticipate the Benford/Elam/Jackson battle going right down to the wire this preseason, but in terms of draft capital invested...it sure would be nice if Elam won the job.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

The Buffalo Bills did not say that Kaiir Elam was their "lowest graded first round talent" they said he was their "last first round grade of the remaining players."

“We had a good grade on Kaiir and we were down to one player in the first round on our board,” Beane said.

It's entirely plausible that both had first round grade, the Bills had Elam rated higher than McDuffie, and they traded up to secure the final first round talent available on their board. 

Your interpretation of this situation seems to be purposefully negligent. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

The Buffalo Bills did not say that Kaiir Elam was their "lowest graded first round talent" they said he was their "last first round grade of the remaining players."

“We had a good grade on Kaiir and we were down to one player in the first round on our board,” Beane said.

It's entirely plausible that both had first round grade, the Bills had Elam rated higher than McDuffie, and they traded up to secure the final first round talent available on their board. 

His interpretation is based on what we call in the trade "policy based evidence making." 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Terrance Gray could be worried because they were down to the last first round grade on their board... not because they took McDuffie.

The nervousness could be tied to the need to move up to secure their last first-round talent... not who Kansas City selected.  They were sitting there at 25 thinking that if McDuffie or Elam keep falling, they can stand pat and get either one, or have a smaller trade up if neither goes until 22 or 23.  

You're hyper-fixated on who was selected and not all of the other factors that play into the situation. 

Again, it seems to be purposefully negligent. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Agree 2

18 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

You're right. It could have been either or. 

He missed some time with injury, but he started every game after that and played almost every snap in the postseason.  They were much better as a defense with him in the lineup, even if Hurts shredded them in the super bowl.  And i still won't forgive the league for that bush league call that gave the game to KC and killed the clock. 

They drafted Watson and Williams as well - watson looks like a player too.  They also still have Sneed who is very good.  Total remake and they're all on rookie deals.  That Veach guy is very good at his job.  Pacheco and Watson in the 7th round - and they both are major contributors to a super bowl win.  

44 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No, it only fits perfectly if that is already the answer in your head. The article also says they were surprised he was there and that they were determined to secure one of their guys. 

That's true. 

But answer me this - if the Chiefs didn't think we were going to pick McDuffie, why would they move ahead of us? They could have moved behind us, and not wasted a third rounder. Patriots clearly didn't want a CB (they traded the pick). And GB didnt need one (they went LB). The Titans and Bucs were willing to trade their picks (and did).

They clearly moved ahead of us because they felt we wanted their guy. It's the same reason we moved ahead of Dallas. We had information that they wanted Kincaid.

53 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think most people would say both were solid in their rookie years.

The biggest difference is narrative. 

Come on SCBills. Even the most ardent Bills homer can not think McDuffie wasn't significantly better than Elam in year 1.

That doesn't mean Elam won't be the better long-term player, but last year, McDuffie was significantly better.

Elam was even a healthy scratch at one point late in the season. The coaching staff drastically cut his snap count too (from 80's in the beginning of season, to 50's in the late season, which is even worse when you considered that Benford was hurt). His PFF grade was in the 50's (McDuffie in the 70's).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Einstein said:

But answer me this - if the Chiefs didn't think we were going to pick McDuffie, why would they move ahead of us? They could have moved behind us, and not wasted a third rounder. Patriots clearly didn't want a CB (they traded the pick). And GB didnt need one (they went LB). The Titans and Bucs were willing to trade their picks (and did).

They moved up to take a cornerback... they didn't know whether we were taking McDuffie or not. Kansas City knew we wanted a cornerback and per @GunnerBillcomment earlier from The Athletic article had McDuffie and Elam left as round one talent.

They wanted to jump and make sure they got one before the Bills (or any other team) could move up and take one. Beane said that was part of his reason for moving up, other teams may have wanted to jump up and grab a cornerback and knew we may want one. 

You asked the question earlier why Buffalo would bring McDuffie in for a pre-draft visit if he didn't fit their "physical profile." Scenarios like this are exactly why... you make teams guess who you're truly interested in or not. 

Edited by JGMcD2

17 minutes ago, Einstein said:

That's true. 

They clearly moved ahead of us because they felt we wanted their guy. It's the same reason we moved ahead of Dallas. We had information that they wanted Kincaid.

Probably because they knew we were going to take a cb, and wasnt sure which one, so they went and got the one they wanted

18 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Come on SCBills. Even the most ardent Bills homer can not think McDuffie wasn't significantly better than Elam in year 1.

That doesn't mean Elam won't be the better long-term player, but last year, McDuffie was significantly better.

Elam was even a healthy scratch at one point late in the season. The coaching staff drastically cut his snap count too (from 80's in the beginning of season, to 50's in the late season, which is even worse when you considered that Benford was hurt). His PFF grade was in the 50's (McDuffie in the 70's).

Would our staff have played McDuffie?

My issue is more with their handling of Elam, than Elam himself. 

…and no, I don’t think McDuffie was “significantly” better.  One got playing time and the other got spot duty .. in which he typically made plays. 

At a certain point, you have to let players learn on the fly and develop over the course of a season.  

KC was forced to do that with their draft picks.. and it worked out for them.  We’re still playing this Mickey Mouse game with Elam, Benford and friggin Dane Jackson. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Would our staff have played McDuffie?

…and no, I don’t think McDuffie was “significantly” better.  One got playing time and the other got spot duty .. in which he typically made plays. 

At a certain point, you have to let players learn on the fly and develop over the course of a season.  

KC was forced to do that with their draft picks.. and it worked out for them.  We’re still playing this Mickey Mouse game with Elam, Benford and friggin Dane Jackson. 

I like all of Elam, Benford and Jackson.  But the staff needs to let Elam play more for him to show what he has.  And let him play press/physical. 

• Agree 3

Unless you're personally connected to Beane, or someone else in that war room, we'll never know.

I'd like to focus more on Elam's potential. He has elite physical traits, but is a bit behind on experience, especially playing zone.

After listening to Beane say....I wish I could say that he doesn't work his tail off (weird comment), I assumed that it had to be an intelligence issue. But it seems like he is fairly intelligent, and also has pretty good instincts. The only thing missing is experience. In the video he says he only started playing 6 years ago (8th grade). That gives me a lot of hope, that there is a ton of room to grow, and that he's more likely to achieve it, given his work ethic. McDermott and staff need to give this kid whatever amount of rope he needs.

Edited by Allen2Moulds

46 minutes ago, SCBills said:

One got playing time and the other got spot duty .. in which he typically made plays. 

I hear you. But I think part of the reason the staff didn’t give Elam more playing time is because of his poor play.

For example, Elam played 80% of the defensive snaps in the first 6 games. Then his usage went down. As if the coaches said “we have seen enough”.

And it’s not a rookie thing. Because Benford, another rookie, was played more (when healthy).

• Agree 1

Though his PFF grade in two playoff games was 87.1.  

He got better as the season progressed.  

Their advanced numbers aren’t significantly different considering Elam played 13 games vs McDuffies 11.  

And not sure if McDuffie ever saw a WR 1 let alone WR 2.

Higgins should have seen 15 targets in the AFCCG but no one wants to talk about how bad Burrow choked.  

EDIT I guess he saw 11 - half must have all been in the 4th quarter I remember thinking where is he?

Edited by Big Blitz

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.