Why do you leave Buffalo???

Obviously, everyone knows Buffalo has some very serious economic and structural problems. To give a little background on myself, I'm a 2003 University of Rochester grad with a BA in Political Science. I have thought about maybe getting involved in government one day and would love to help out in Buffalo. So for those who have moved away or those thinking about it, I have a few questions that maybe you could help me with.

1) Why did you move out of Buffalo?

2) Where did you go?

3) How does your new home compare to Buffalo?

4) If the econonmy and job market were stable would you move back?

5) What suggestions to you have to improve the quality of life here?

Any feedback you have would be awesome and maybe together we can save the city, haha. :rolleyes: Thanks.

1) my wife got a teaching job, so i took a leave from college and moved down with her

2) fayetteville, nc

3) I am buying a house on thursday in hope mills, nc. Everything is cheaper down here. I'd get probably less than half the house i'm getting if it were in NY.

4) in a heartbeat

5) good lord... That's a toughie. Reorganize county, and city governments (that's the short answer)

just not buffalo . high taxes in new york state all over make most people move . this state is not very good at bring in good jobs. and keeping what jobs are left here . they make it hard for big companies to bring jobs to this state.

1) Why did you move out of Buffalo? Moved in 82 to get a stable job

2) Where did you go?  New York City (Long Island)

3) How does your new home compare to Buffalo?  I love it here, but miss the regional flavor of Buffalo, the familiar customs, freindly people.

4) If the econonmy and job market were stable would you move back? In a heartbeat

5) What suggestions to you have to improve the quality of life here?  Increased resources to encourage business relocation, better government that is less akin to the short sighted, Tamany Hall bureacracy that has ruined the region for years.

Any feedback you have would be awesome and maybe together we can save the city, haha.  :rolleyes:  Thanks.

348278[/snapback]

Left in 1995 - No jobs in my field of work. If there were jobs, they were under paid.

2) Where did you go? Richmond, VA

3) How does your new home compare to Buffalo? Both have similar problems, but Richmond has more ability to fix their problems. The job market is much better and homes are still reasonable.

4) If the econonmy and job market were stable would you move back? No. All of my siblings (7) and parents have moved out of Buffalo. Even if the economy was good, the weather sucks and my in-laws still live in Buffalo .

5) What suggestions to you have to improve the quality of life here? Regionalize the government and cut the excessive waste in government. Also Buffalo needs to think like a BIG city again. They have not done that since 1901. They need to understand that the world is not out to get them.

Company on Grand Island closed down. Only job offer in the next 8 months was out of state.

2) Where did you go? Milwaukee, WI. But later to Dallas

More house for less money. 2000sf ranch, 3br, 2ba, pool, nice neighborhood.

CMV is $176,000 (property taxes $3,200).

If comparable to what I have now...absolutely.

Jobs, jobs, jobs.

1) Why did you move out of Buffalo?  Could not find a good job, got sick of the weather.

2) Where did you go?  I've lived in Atlanta for a bit over 10 years.

3) How does your new home compare to Buffalo?  Buffalo has cooler people and way better junk food (pizza, wings, subs, Andersons custard etc.) but the weather in Atlanta is great, my wife and I have teriffic jobs and the cost of living is pretty good.  I miss family friends and the small town feel but don't regret the move.

4) If the econonmy and job market were stable would you move back? I'd be tempted but the weather is a deterent and now I own a beach house in Charleston SC so I would hate to move too far away from it.

5) What suggestions to you have to improve the quality of life here?  More major companies/jobs, lower taxes, more sports franchises.

348278[/snapback]

Could not find a good job, got sick of the weather.

2) Where did you go?

I've lived in Atlanta for a bit over 10 years.

Buffalo has cooler people and way better junk food (pizza, wings, subs, Andersons custard etc.) but the weather in Atlanta is great, my wife and I have teriffic jobs and the cost of living is pretty good. I miss family friends and the small town feel but don't regret the move.

I'd be tempted but the weather is a deterent and now I own a beach house in Charleston SC so I would hate to move too far away from it.

More major companies/jobs, lower taxes, more sports franchises.

1) Why did you move out of Buffalo? Parents

2) Where did you go? Richmond, VA

3) How does your new home compare to Buffalo? I don't like Richmond, but have great friends and family here. My last living relatives in WNY hava sold their house and are moving to FL. They will live in Buf in the summers.

4) If the econonmy and job market were stable would you move back? At least part time.

5) What suggestions to you have to improve the quality of life here? Regionalize, find out exactly how Cleveland and Pittsburgh are thriving and copy and overthrow the local politicians.

Obviously, everyone knows Buffalo has some very serious economic and structural problems.  To give a little background on myself, I'm a 2003 University of Rochester grad with a BA in Political Science.  I have thought about maybe getting involved in government one day and would love to help out in Buffalo.  So for those who have moved away or those thinking about it, I have a few questions that maybe you could help me with.

The writing was on the wall. No jobs and continued loss of liberty. It's only gotten worse.

2) Where did you go? 

Joined the military.

Plenty of jobs, no income or sales tax. Houses are more expensive and the Cost of Living is higher but so are the salaries.

Probably not because it's not just an economic issue for me. NYS government at all levels is monolithic and barbaric.

Stop voting incumbents back in at a 95% or better clip and then hold the new folks accountable for not repealing the ridiculous amount of burdensome regulation (like the Rockefeller laws) and duality.

Obviously, everyone knows Buffalo has some very serious economic and structural problems.  To give a little background on myself, I'm a 2003 University of Rochester grad with a BA in Political Science.  I have thought about maybe getting involved in government one day and would love to help out in Buffalo.  So for those who have moved away or those thinking about it, I have a few questions that maybe you could help me with.

Graduated from UB in 95, no jobs in Buf headed to RTP, NC.  Things are not as great as they were here, but still far more jobs.  Buffalo has become a very depressed area.  I've since been all over the country and few cities as bleak as Buf

2) Where did you go? 

RTP, NC

No comparison, so much more for the $$

Probably not.  I love the weather down south. 

People have said.  Lower coporate taxes and the jobs will come

Any feedback you have would be awesome and maybe together we can save the city, haha.  :rolleyes:  Thanks.

348278[/snapback]

348278[/snapback]

Was getting married, wife loved NYC, NYC company offered me a well-paying job and also paid for my graduate degree.

2) Where did you go? 

348278[/snapback]

NYC, then to Greenwich CT, then to DFW area.

348278[/snapback]

Loved NYC, but couldn't stay there (3 kids). Loved Greenwich, and would have stayed there if not for company being sold and having major disagreements with the new owners. Grew to love Texas soon after moving here. BTW - it's only after you move away from Buffalo/WNY that you realize (a) how poor the business climate is there and (b) how very bigoted and prejudiced it is there.

4) If the economy and job market were stable would you move back?

348278[/snapback]

They have 60 years of bad government and bad debt to get rid of. That's not going to go away either in my lifetime or my kids' lifetimes. Also, things have changed there from when I grew up. For example, the working-class neighborhood where I grew up has deteriorated considerably.

348278[/snapback]

It's a broken record, but too much government. It is amazing to see the number of overlapping State/County/Local government functions, the incredibly overpaid salaries for those employees, and their tendency to build wasteful projects (UB Amherst Campus, Scajacquada Expressway, etc.) and have wasteful spending (Medicaid).

BTW - it's only after you move away from Buffalo/WNY that you realize (a) how poor the business climate is there and (b) how very bigoted and prejudiced it is there.

348324[/snapback]

Huh?

Where were you that you got that impression?

Growing up there, it always seemed like he future was bleak, leaving as soon as you could was the thing to do.

2) Where did you go?

Baltimore, Atlanta, New York City, and finally Austin, TX!

While I don't own a home here right now, I did at one time. Ugly new style ranch house (I miss the architecture back east). It was expensive, but then, so is paying rent here... if by home, you mean the city in general, Austin is a very young, lively city, with lots going on every day...lots of possibilities. The down side of it is that because it is such a "hot spot" for the last 10 years, it is losing its' individuality, and starting to feel a bit more like Los Angeles all of the time...

Yes, I would, if it were all up to me, if I was deciding only for myself.

I don't know. A total overhauling of the city government, and some serious "thinking outside the box".....

1) Why did you move out of Buffalo? Moved with parents.

2) Where did you go? Michigan, then North Carolina, now Ohio

3) How does your new home compare to Buffalo? I pay as much in taxes on a 800 sq.ft. cabin in WNY as I do for a 2500 sq.ft. house in Ohio. Taxes are so high in NY that they become a deterrent to getting the type/quality of house you really want. That's not right.

4) If the econonmy and job market were stable would you move back? In a heartbeat.

5) What suggestions to you have to improve the quality of life here? Elect politicians who know that it is better for an area to drive drains on the economy (e.g., welfare, oversized government, endless social services) out of state and protect jobs than to drive jobs out of state and make people dependent on government. NY simply cannot compete with other states any more. Taxes need to be lower, economic development needs to be more results driven (e.g., too many people are making too much money off of the "if you build it they will come" mentality -- it's been built enough times now and still no one came!), regional think tanks need to figure out what WNY is going to be when it grows up. Also, Buffalonians need to stop blaming the weather for everything! Relatively speaking, few natives leave for this reason when compared with the talent that leaves to find a well paying job and support their family. Geographically, WNY is a naturally diverse area and is a terrific place to raise a family -- this is why so many people would come back if the economic climate were to improve.

2) Where did you go? 

1) Job transfer

2) North Carolina

3) Real Estate contrary to what other might tell you is more expensive down here. Much cheaper taxes however.

4) I'll move back anyway eventually.

5) Improve education so I don't have to reply to threads titled "Why do you leave Buffalo???"

2) Where did you go? 

348278[/snapback]

1. Jioned Marine Corps in '85.

2. Been primarily in San Diego since 1987 (though currently at Mt. Fuji, Japan for next year)

3. San Diego is, well, San Diego...need I say more? Although real estate prices are obscene, I was fortunate enough to buy before the market went crazy.

4. I would, but my wife wouldn't (she's from So. Cal)

5. Lower corporate and individual income taxes, cut government, change 'us vs. world' attitude of locals, dump current politicians out on their head,etc.

1) better opportunity to make a decent living; weather; women :rolleyes:

2) atlanta (4 yrs), then durham, north carolina (8+ years)

3) i love the triangle area -- i'm a big college sports fan so that certainly helps; i could probably get more house for the same money in buffalo, but i'm not complaining

4) probably not; i enjoy being able to golf nearly 12 months a year

5) find a way to ensure that the bills and sabres stay; they give me great reasons to visit.

I left Rochester, not Buffalo, but I think my reasons are probably pretty much the same. All of Western New York is all in the same ferry, er, boat.

1) I also joined the Marine Corps (1998). But never returned once I got out because of one word: jobs.

2) Northern Virgina/Washington, D.C.

3) Lots of jobs, much better weather, but the traffic and housing prices are terrible.

4) Yes. But I cannot see how that is going to happen.

5) That is the zillion-dollar question no one seems to really have.

1) Went away to college, never really came back for more than a couple months.

2) W. Lafayette, IN > Syracuse > York, PA - the year in hell :rolleyes: > Ann Arbor, MI > Baltimore

3) People are generally nicer in Buffalo, but I'm sorry to say, the East Coast blows Buffalo away.

4) No. Been there, done that.

5) :ph34r:

4.  I would, but my wife wouldn't (she's from So. Cal)

348363[/snapback]

Now that I don't believe!!! San Diego is gorgeous and so is the weather. And the Cali women thing is no myth.

1) Why did you move out of Buffalo?  job offer

2) Where did you go?  austin

3) How does your new home compare to Buffalo?  home prices and property taxes higher

4) If the econonmy and job market were stable would you move back? no

5) What suggestions to you have to improve the quality of life here?  ub campus and football stadium should have been built downtown, if another opportunity presents itself the city needs to find away to grab it with that said, i don't think gambling is the ticket.  the 190 along the river needs to be torn and lake access needs to be maximized and featured.  in years to come the great lakes will become a powerful drawing card.

good luck - all of our family is still there

348278[/snapback]

2) Where did you go? 

348278[/snapback]

1) Left to go to Syracuse U, then work opportunities took me elsewhere.

2) Where didn't I go? I worked in the broadcasting field and worked in every major New York State city including Buffalo, plus stations in Phialdelphia, Baltimore, DC, West Virginia, NC, Texas, and lastly New Hampshire.

3) NH is the only northeastern state gaining population. Certain towns are exploding with growth. Quite the opposite of Buffalo. It's very pretty here. Colder, but not snowier. I live just an hour from Boston. I like the people here, except when the drone on aboutthe Pats.

4) My wife and I talk a lot about moving to a warmer climate, but we both have too many things keeping us here now. But I often wish I could come back.

5) Blow up the city and county governments and start from scratch. Put in professional managers. Eliminate most of the civil service unions. (Sorry, I'm usually pro-labor but in Buffalo they are a huge part of what's wrong!) Merge the city and county governments, and maybe even some village governments too. Eliminate all wasteful duplication of services. Form a committee to go around and tout the benefits of Buffalo to business leaders around the world. There are many good reasons a business would want to locate there. Give huge tax incentives if need be. Also, I would also consider welcoming new immigrants to help build the population and give the city some ethnic flavor, like a Chinatown.

Shut up cracker. You stupid honkie.  :rolleyes:

348361[/snapback]

I suggest lightening up.

Bflo is NOT any more racist than the rest of the country. Bflo people are just more honest about it.

The rest of the country, especially the South, is better at hiding their predjudices than the honest genuine people in Bflo.

Left Buffalo after graduating from RIT in 1984. Lack of tech jobs in the area.

2) Where did you go?

Went to work for Texas Instruments in Texas.

Currently live in Columbus OH. Couldn't find anything comparable unless I was in E Auroura or OP. Nuf said.

Doubt it. Weather in Columbus has its cold spells, but for not as long.

Reduce the financial burden (taxes) the rest of the state has to take on to support big brother down state. Nuf said.

why.. jobs.

where.. military, at the moment in Southern VA

home compares... about the same, with the exception the value is going UP

move back... after I reitre from military, YES if there were jobs

Quality of Life:

1. Bflo needs to right size their government. Bflo really needs to bag the Common Council and Mayor and go with a City Manager form of govt.

2. Erie County needs to do number 1 above.

3. KEEP THE BILLS!!!!

1) Wife was from San Diego and we had better job opportunity in San Diego and LA

2) San Diego

3) My new home in San Diego is very nice but obcenely expensive. I am considering buying a $ 1,200,000 fixer upper in La Jolla.

4) I would consider moving back after my kids go to college.

5) I have no idea how to fix the problems. To much government. But the real problem is too attract new industry and business to Buffalo. Make incentive deals to attract companies. Free land, no taxes for 5 years, etc.

Left in 1989 for college then a decent paying job.

2) Where did you go? Charlotte, NC

3) How does your new home compare to Buffalo? Newer home and I'm not getting killed in taxes

4) If the econonmy and job market were stable would you move back? Nope. I miss the food and people, but you can't beat the weather and cost of living down here.

5) What suggestions to you have to improve the quality of life here? hahaha I could write a book! Start with a new waterfront and use Niagara Falls and the casinos as a tourist destination. Get rid of all the waste in government (hello democrats!) and start marketing the region nationally with a positive spin.

Stop voting incumbents back in at a 95% or better clip and then hold the new folks accountable for not repealing the ridiculous amount of burdensome regulation (like the Rockefeller laws) and duality.

348314[/snapback]

It's my guess this November that we might actually come close to cleaning house; county exec., major, and most of the common council. OUTTA HERE!!!!

I'm not a Buffalonian and never have been so I'm not sure that my response will be helpful or not. I am a life long Western New Yorker. I do expect to move away from WNY when I retire in another dozen years or so. My reasons are as follows:

1. Climate - I'm tired of long winters with lots of snow, dismal and damp late fall weather, and lately springs that suck.

2. NY State government and taxes.

3. Spiritual climate and general attitude of fatalism that hangs like a pall over WNY.

I'm not sure where I'll go, but a good candidate is the tri-cities area of NE Tennessee because of:

1. Climate - shorter, milder winters and more sunshine in spring and autumn, while the summers are not brutally hot

2. Housing costs aren't outrageous. I can buy a decent single dwelling for under $100,000 today. Of course that will change in 12 years, but hopefully housing costs will remain reasonable compared with many areas of the country.

3. I have a thing for mountains.

The job situation does not personally affect me since I have been employed for the last 26 years. The economy is another story. The northern, rust belt, high tax economy, and horribly inefficient government is so entrenched in NYS, I don't foresee it changing in my lifetime.

Obviously you're stuck with the weather, but as far as what the government can do, I think Joel Giambra had the right idea in terms of regionalizing and reducing the size of government. NYS has to revamp medicaid so it doesn't remain the "Mecca" of everyone in the country with no job and no health insurance. Medicaid is killing county government and weighs down on economic development all across western NY.

2) Where did you go? 

348278[/snapback]

1. Wanted a new challenge / scenery. Career wise, I had moved up as far as I was going to go.

2. Moved to Cartersville, Georgia.

3. Housing prices are high in the Atlanta area. Property taxes are low, but you need to look at other taxes and fees which you may be charged for.

4. Like to. I may have a hard time convincing the wife (she's from this area).

5. As everybody else has said. Reduce government, lure business back into the state.

Now that I don't believe!!! San Diego is gorgeous and so is the weather. And the Cali women thing is no myth.

348434[/snapback]

I love outdoor activities like hunting and fishingand also love the country. These are things I can't get in San Diego. I personally would love to come back and try to make a difference in the area where I grew up. I love the area...I think many of Buffalo's problems are about attitude. If you could change the attitude of the citizen's there, it would go a long way. But so many who remain there are so bitter.

As far as the women in Cali...don't get me started. They are healthy and beautiful...

I quit college to move home and help my dad care for my mom - she had cancer. When it became obvious she wouldn't be with us much longer, my father encouraged me to re-start my life so to speak and it just so happened that a friend was moving out of WNY and was in need of a roommate.

2) Where did you go? 

Virginia Beach, VA

Most everything is newer, cleaner, and better here. Although Buffalo does have better restaurants and food.
No way.

348278[/snapback]

My plan starts with TNT. Lots and lots of TNT. Also, secede from New York State.

2) Where did you go? 

Any feedback you have would be awesome and maybe together we can save the city, haha.  :D  Thanks.

348278[/snapback]

I was born and raised in Erie Pa, so I've never had to deal w/ the Buffalo economy like the residents there have. Even still, if I could, I'd move to Buffalo today just to be close to my family in Erie and to be able to attend Bills games without having to spend hundreds of dollars in travel expenses.

If only Psycho Ward 86 would consider it...

It's my guess this November that we might actually come close to cleaning house; county exec., major, and most of the common council. OUTTA HERE!!!!

348574[/snapback]

"out of here" is not good enough.

Replacing the old losers with new career politicians is not the answer.

As noted above, the entire structure of multiple layers of government and its entitlements needs to be overhauled.

Since Buffalo is being run by a control board, why even have a common council who always puts their own self interest first?

The state is getting what it deserves by electing a carpet bagger from Arkansas to represent their interests.

The voters need to wake up

just not buffalo . high taxes in new york state all over make most people move . this state is not very good at bring in good jobs. and keeping what jobs are left here .  they make it hard for big companies to bring jobs to this state.

348289[/snapback]

I second that! plus it's not the prices of housing thats high it's the property and school taxes that are out of control. 4 times higher than in Maryland on the same house.