Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2023-2024

Draconator

2 hours ago, MarkyMannn said:

On TSW, you'll find threads about firing McD, even a recent one. If KA & DG still have jobs and even extensions, don't waste time pushing for McD to be gone

Have you even seen the prospect pool?!

3 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

Starting today, the Buffalo Sabres reason for existence is to win the Stanley cup 

That  was 4.783 days ago 

I think about that moment in time all the time, simply because it is no longer true.  And it's been that way for several years now.

Granato should have been fired in January at the latest.  He wasn't.

He should be fired, FOR SURE, at the end of the season in a few days.  He won't be.

Why? B/C winning a Cup is not Pegula's end goal now.  It is to make the team profitable and he is more committed to how he runs the team, i.e., no more eating of Ks, than winning. 

Don't listen to what these guys tell you, watch what they DO, or chose not to do.  When Donny survives this off-season, you will KNOW FOR SURE it's not about winning.

It's also why we let Mike Peca slip out of the organization.  Too strong, successful, and popular a guy for the operation they are trying to run.

• Sad 2

58 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I think about that moment in time all the time, simply because it is no longer true.  And it's been that way for several years now.

He should be fired, FOR SURE, at the end of the season in a few days.  He won't be.

Why? B/C winning a Cup is not Pegula's end goal now.  It is to make the team profitable and he is more committed to how he runs the team, i.e., no more eating of Ks, than winning. 

Don't listen to what these guys tell you, watch what they DO, or chose not to do.  When Donny survives this off-season, you will KNOW FOR SURE it's not about winning.

It's also why we let Mike Peca slip out of the organization.  Too strong, successful, and popular a guy for the operation they are trying to run.

Are the Sabres profitable? This isn't the Bills we are talking here where NFL teams are a cash cow. Granato should be fired. After last season this has to be one of the more disappointing seasons for the Sabres given what the expectations were for this year. Terry should sell them if he is just going to run them like a clown show.

Edited by Gregg
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I was hopeful at the end of last season. Turned out to be a mirage. I expected KA to make more aggressive moves in the off-season, and pretty much all he did was bring in Clifton and ancient Erik Johnson. They absolutely need an experienced coach who will demand results and be mean. The Sabres are soft, and they reflect their kind, mild-mannered leader. I know folks will say nostalgia, but I'd love to hire Ruff. Still mad about Peca. Unfortunately, I think this analysis is correct.

• Sad 1

If the Bills didn't have JA17, this would be a trash heap of a sports empire like all the rest.

Both teams need a new HC, but the Sabres more desperately so.  However, I don't think that's the game being played here.

Certainly, and over the past decade, I've seen worse Sabres' teams.  We all have.  But this one, or at least on some level, is more brutal -- because they should be a LOT better, and yet they aren't.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

Starting today, the Buffalo Sabres reason for existence is to win the Stanley cup 

That  was 4.783 days ago 

It’s a process 

As the season is winding down and no playoffs in sight for Year 13 I am just reflecting a bit on this season and wondering if this will go down as the most disappointing season in Buffalo sports history?  Reminds me a little bit of the failed expectations of the Drew Bledsoe/Takeo Spikes years but at that point the Bills drought was just in the beginning stages so the frustration wasn't as pent up as it is right now with the Sab's 

• Sad 2

31 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

As the season is winding down and no playoffs in sight for Year 13 I am just reflecting a bit on this season and wondering if this will go down as the most disappointing season in Buffalo sports history?  Reminds me a little bit of the failed expectations of the Drew Bledsoe/Takeo Spikes years but at that point the Bills drought was just in the beginning stages so the frustration wasn't as pent up as it is right now with the Sab's 

2012 Buffalo Bills for me.  Which I think might have ironically been year 13 of that drought.  

I wasn't yet posting on Buffalo Bills forums in 2012.  But when I joined this site and even now sometimes I get surprised at how I seem one of the few Bills fans to consistently remember how awful that 6-10 year felt.   Which maybe a 6-10 record in the NFL is equivalent to what the Sabres record is this year? 

But yeah I definitely feel what you're saying though.  

Edited by Another Fan

19 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

2012 Buffalo Bills for me.  Which I think might have ironically been year 13 of that drought.  

I wasn't yet posting on Buffalo Bills forums in 2012.  But when I joined this site and even now sometimes I get surprised at how I seem one of the few Bills fans to consistently remember how awful that 6-10 year felt.   Which maybe a 6-10 record in the NFL is equivalent to what the Sabres record is this year? 

But yeah I definitely feel what you're saying though.  

I remember it being pretty bad but I definitely did not have any expectations for the Bills back then so I view that as one of the many bad seasons of Bills football.  But for me a disappointing season happens when I have higher expectations.

3 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Honestly?  For the Sabres it's when they had an amazing season with Drury and Briere then promptly pooped the bed in the playoffs.  Or the 1998-1999 season for that matter.  Or the 2000-2001 season with Hasek and the ghost of Dougie Gilmore.

For the Bills, name the year.  It's all a bucket of suck to date, but at the same time I watch every game like a lunatic because of deep roots in the area -- and how of all the people here, I literally got a chance to watch OJ knife through defenses before he

I just noticed that the Leafs game tonight is not on TV...it's one of those ESPN+ only streaming things, which are starting to really piss me off.  The Leafs games in Buffalo are, by far, the highlight of the Sabres season and to make those pay to watch really pisses me off.

Here's another reason to hate Pegula.

Don't worry, I'll be watching online for free, but that approach is not the best.

• Like (+1) 1

Mar  30 02024

🏒 Toronto Maple Leafs @ Buffalo Sabres

4:00 PM - 7:00 PM PDT

KeyBank Center

I have been focused on my Gerber baby granddaughter for the last bit of time recently  but today I can watch the game.  I hate blackouts.  Boooo

anyway I hope for a competitive showing. no more of this collapse baloney.

Edited by muppy
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Sabres behind the Leafs 1-0 after the first period

the game color man announcer needs a chill pill. he is annoying to the point of MUTE button lol

Sabres are shooting and outshooting the Leafs with one shot clanked off the post. Damn that sound lol

Lots of hockey to play

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Nice little slice of Hockey Hell tonight!

Building was completed overrun by EASILY 15,000 Leafs fans...

SELL THE TEAM PEGULA.

YOU SUCK.

Remember in 2012/2013 we referred to ourselves as hockey heaven? Wow. Cursed 

Apr 2 2024 TUESDAY

🏒 Washington Capitals @ Buffalo Sabres

KeyBank Center

well it is one of the last few sabres games. Hockey is still a fun watch. 🙂 of course I want a dub. DUH

lol

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/30/2024 at 10:02 PM, Nextmanup said:

Nice little slice of Hockey Hell tonight!

Building was completed overrun by EASILY 15,000 Leafs fans...

SELL THE TEAM PEGULA.

YOU SUCK.

he has completely destroyed the franchise, and there are almost no signs he has learned a thing

https://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-jeff-skinner-set-to-play-1000th-game-without-playoff-appearance/#:~:text=Skinner will become the 394th,every year of his career.

Skinner will become the 394th NHL player to play 1,000 regular-season games. He will also become the first to reach the prestigious milestone having never played in a playoff contest.

Apr 5 2024 FRIDAY

🏒 Philadelphia Flyers @ Buffalo Sabres

KeyBank Center

LETS GO SABRES 🙂

Edited by muppy

7 hours ago, Gregg said:

The race for WC 2 in the EC between the Isles, Red Wings, and Flyers can be summed up....

200.gif

The race for WC 2 is more than those three teams - and except for the Wings is a race to WC2 and Met 3. 

But I love the Stooges and agree with the premise that none of these teams don't appear to be serious Cup contenders. 

But a heartfelt thanks to the Sabres, Hurricanes and (one of my two most hated sports franchises) Rangers for putting the Islanders above a Wild Card spot for the time being.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/4/2024 at 7:42 AM, Gregg said:

So did anyone see the start of last night's Rangers-Devils game. They dropped the puck, and a 5 on 5 fight broke out.

I've seen more hitting when I take my kids to the petting zoo...

But this was still great to see.  Nice to see this sort of thing--sort of--isn't totally gone from the game.

Rangers/Devils rivalry is one of the best left in hockey.

Nowadays these young kids are all multi- millionaires and would rather chit chat about investment advice before games.  In the old days they hated each other and there was a natural animosity among teams.

God I miss those days.

On 4/4/2024 at 7:42 AM, Gregg said:

So did anyone see the start of last night's Rangers-Devils game. They dropped the puck, and a 5 on 5 fight broke out.

I’m assuming that something happened in pre-game or the previous game that carried over to the puck-drop? Coordinated thing when everyone starts fighting *right away.*

3 hours ago, UConn James said:

I’m assuming that something happened in pre-game or the previous game that carried over to the puck-drop? Coordinated thing when everyone starts fighting *right away.*

thank you for bumping this topic. My reaction was WTAF is This???

#21 drops his stick and it was ITS ON.....time to throw down and kick some booty! I've never seen THAT before. Just WAITING for the puck to drop and then WHAMMO

lol I love men who play hockey. Tough, strong, agile, supreme balance  and they are NOT afraid of a bit of body on body contact

I love the fisticuffs  I admit it LOL. A clear point was made right from the beginning of that game. Better watch yer back Jack. I'm googling for backstory oh just caused That to happen.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/04/sport/rangers-devils-nhl-brawl-spt-intl/index.html

Edited by muppy

Down 3-0 less than 10 minutes into the 1st period 🤢🤮

Another must win game and the Sabres look completely unprepared to start as always. Hard not to feel like it’s a coaching issue when they look so consistently unprepared to start games.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Another must win game and the Sabres look completely unprepared to start as always. Hard not to feel like it’s a coaching issue when they look so consistently unprepared to start games.

It's so evident Granato needs to go. Hire Lindy Ruff. At least bring in someone with NHL pedigree that will hold the team accountable. Get Peca back as an assistant. Get someone who knows how to coach the PP. Bales is the only fellas that should stay. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, muppy said:

thank you for bumping this topic. My reaction was WTAF is This???

#21 drops his stick and it was ITS ON.....time to throw down and kick some booty! I've never seen THAT before. Just WAITING for the puck to drop and then WHAMMO

lol I love men who play hockey. Tough, strong, agile, supreme balance  and they are NOT afraid of a bit of body on body contact

I love the fisticuffs  I admit it LOL. A clear point was made right from the beginning of that game. Better watch yer back Jack. I'm googling for backstory oh just caused That to happen.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/04/sport/rangers-devils-nhl-brawl-spt-intl/index.html

My best friend coaches jr hockey in Canada and it is life for Canadians 

His best player got cheap shot at last week.. punched in the back of the head and broke his jaw on the ice... Rough

It was a three-game series ...

So the next day at the opening face off... My buddy asked the entire team who is stepping to the plate

One kid raised his hand.. my friend literally taped his wrists up on the bench like a boxer and gave him smelling salts... Then sent him out to kick ass at the first puck drop

Didn't even take the face off..  as soon as the puck was dropped he smoked the kid as hard as he could in the face

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

The Sabres remind me a little of the Jauron Bills that were 7-9 every year.  They weren’t good teams at all but not awful awful.  They did enough for the fans to still have some hope.

I’m hardly an expert on Buffalo hockey but seems the team needs an aggressive off season.  

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

The Sabres remind me a little of the Jauron Bills that were 7-9 every year.  They weren’t good teams at all but not awful awful.  They did enough for the fans to still have some hope.

I’m hardly an expert on Buffalo hockey but seems the team needs an aggressive off season.  

If the pundits are to be believed, there’s waaaaay more talent on the Sabres than any of the drought Bills. Granato is an atrocious coach. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

The Sabres league leading negative goal differential in the first period is 100% on Don Granato.

That's coaching!  

Will it matter?  If I had to bet, I'd say Granato will be back next year.

The fundamental makeup of this team is flawed.  Too many of the same type of player.  We need more grit, we need more competitiveness, and we need more nasty players who are hard to play against.

The day after the season ends, it should be automatic that Granato is fired...

Don't hold your breath!