Diggs NOT at mandatory minicamp, McDermott "very concerned" DAY 2 UPDATE: He's back

Process

7 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I don't know for sure what's going on. But the fact that he showed up and then left, combined with Josh's words make - I wonder if the following is what happened...

McDermott let sleeping dogs lie after the Playoff game. Gave him space and didn't talk to him about it during the Offseason. Then when Stefon arrived, McDermott started playing "Look at me, I'm the captain" with him. Telling him it was unacceptable, maybe even asking him to apologize publicly to the team... something of that nature. This reopened old wounds and made him say "F this, I'm going home".

Totally speculating, of course. But the fact that he showed up and then left says to me something happened after he arrived that ticked him off. And my guess is it was someone, most likely McDermott coming down on him.

McDermott then making it public could have been a further flex of power on him. He could have just said "Stef was here but he was excused for the day for a personal issue". But instead he chose to make it a spectacle. Stef's agent saying "I don't know why McDermott said that" leads me to believe it was McDermott further saying "my way or the highway".

Ultimately, a coach should have total control over his team. So in a sense, I understand it if this is what's going on. On the other, it's worrisome if McDermott is choosing to be heavy handed with a delicate situation when it could have just been swept under the rug for now.

Again, only speculating.

Could be true….but so can this.

Steph showed up, asked to talk to Bean and or McDermott.  Called the coach out referencing his growth mindset.  In doing so says “We have not grown at all, you keep making the same mistakes”.   McDermott not liking it gets all defensive and jumps down his throat.  Steph leaves in a hissy fit.  A thin skinned McDermott, throws Steph under the bus because it makes him feel better.

Just as likely….All human nature.  We are all just guessing. Let’s wait it out. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Honestly I think losing Von to injury and then Damar shook this team considerably maybe more than we will ever know as that team is as close to a family as seen in Buffalo in a loooooong time. 

I was in the threads after the Cincy playoff game listing ALL the reasons this team showed up exhausted and flat. It was even far more than just those injuries too. I get it.

But the Bills were in trouble well before either of those.

It was really since the Bye week. Not sure what happened at Josh's Halloween party (fire up another rumor mill!), but we went from motivated world-destroyers playing like our heads were on fire, to a bunch of guys just going through the motions. Sure, we won another 8 games or whatever. But barely. And they were mostly stinkers.

I remember week after week, finishing the game with a win, but everyone feeling like it was a loss and wtf are we even doing out there, thank God we are so talented to push us to a win.

THAT is a failure in coaching. Week after week of bad gameplans, no adjustments, and no corrections to mistakes players were making.

Still won a lot, but in spite of coaching.

• Disagree 1

I have listened to everything just like everyone else has.  It sounds to me like it could be a bunch of things, but to me, listening to Allen was the most informative.

This is what I heard while reading between the lines:

1.  There is not a personal problem between Allen and Diggs.

2.  Diggs is not a big fan of Dorsey and our offense.

3.  Diggs believes he should be getting the ball more, especially in critical situations.  Too many times, and you can see it on film, in clutch situations, the ball was not going to Diggs.  Instead, it was going to Dirty, and Davis and on more than a few occasions, those plays were not being made.  Diggs fully believes he should be getting those opportunities. 

4,  Allen repeatedly said they had to find more ways to get him the ball and some of that was on him and inferred scheme could be used more to create opportunities.  You could tell the offense was a lot more traditional and "by the book" last season.  The days of Daboll scheming guys wide open were long gone. 

There was more, and then it was being said that it was not football related, so who knows.  Bur regardless of how it is classified, I firmly believe this has more to do with the coaching staff.....McDermott, Dorsey, and his new WR coach.  I do think Hall leaving is part of this.

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

What? How do you even compare that?

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

The difference there is Josh Allen vs Andy Dalton.

I'd say it would be even worse to not win a Champ with Josh Allen vs what Marvin Lewis was able to get out of Dalton.

But single screenshots aside, Lewis was a great, defense-based, culture coach who players loved, but could never win in the playoffs. Starting to sound more and more familiar.

Well, when it's mandatory he should be there. I know this should have already been figured out.

Regardless of what's going on, you had all off-season. Find out if the guy can move past it and if he can't trade him, sadly it looks like McBeane sat silently in a corner and hoped for the best.

It's too late to trade him and get any sort if return for this year.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. He isn't Lewis with the Bengals. He might be Schotty with the Chiefs, but we don't know that yet either. 

I mean, it was just an example to illustrate what sticking with a "good" coach will get you. There are probably better examples, and absolutely plenty of them. Its a common mistake.

Will the Bills make it as well?

17 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It would be a very 2000s Bengals thing to do to ride out a "culture" HC who is good enough to win regular season games but can never get it done in the playoffs with a top-3 roster.

Him taking over DC was step one to saving his job. He is, and should be, on a short leash right now.

Regular season wins are great, but the debacle in KC 2 years ago was inexcusable, football 101, and the team meltdown across the 2nd half of the season last year was all on the coaches as well.

I'm not gathering the pitchforks or lighting the torches yet, but any good owner would have a close eye on McD this year.

Marvin Lewis was a .518 coach with the Bengals, lost 7 straight wild card playoff games, and only made the playoffs seven seasons out of 16.

McDermott is .639, won 4 of 9 playoff games, made the playoffs five of six seasons, and the Bills are 3X defending AFC East champs.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Southern_Bills said:

Well, when it's mandatory he should be there. I know this should have already been figured out.

Regardless of what's going on, you had all off-season. Find out if the guy can move past it and if he can't trade him, sadly it looks like McBeane sat silently in a corner and hoped for the best.

It's too late to trade him and get any sort if return for this year.

Regarding a trade, diggs is on the team this season no matter what. His dead cap is too much

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Let's not get carried away now LOF'nL!:lol:

Kyle Shanahan was the Peyton Manning of HC prospects.   Son of a HOF'er and SB champion.

Brian Daboll was fired at his first 3 NFL offensive coordinator jobs and then had to kick around as a TE coach for another 8 years or so before his coach helped him get an easy job at Alabama and when he left Nick Saban was none to distraught to see him go.   He comes to the Bills and produces the worst scoring offense the NFL had seen since the merger thru the first half of 2018.    Then after a tremendous 2020 he shat himself enough in the 2021 season that he'd never have gotten an NFL HC gig in that cycle if Joe Schoen wasn't at the front of the package.    

Plenty of bums have had a good first season as an NFL HC.   NY Giants Ben McAdoo ring a bell?  McDermott might not be the answer but just because Daboll caught some teams by surprise and got Daniel Jones to throw double digit TD passes I wouldn't be expecting that success to continue as the bar raises.   

The point is more that the 13 seconds debacle is unacceptable and could have/should have gotten him fired.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, since79 said:

Could be true….but so can this.

Steph showed up, asked to talk to Bean and or McDermott.  Called the coach out referencing his growth mindset.  In doing so says “We have not grown at all, you keep making the same mistakes”.   McDermott not liking it gets all defensive and jumps down his throat.  Steph leaves in a hissy fit.  A thin skinned McDermott, throws Steph under the bus because it makes him feel better.

Just as likely….All human nature.  We are all just guessing. Let’s wait it out.

Ultimately, whether it was Diggs who attacked McDermott or McDermott who attacked Diggs leading to his walkout - to me it seems pretty clear that the issue is with coaching and McDermott isn't here for it.

I was just watching NFL Live and Ryan Clark said "whatever happened to good ole' fashioned lying?". That thought has stuck with me. McDermott time and again lies to the press. He does whatever it takes to downplay things and avoid distraction. But this time, he chose to do the opposite. His doing so even led to his agent publicly stating confusion as to why he said it the way he did.

To me, it's clear. He made a choice to throw Stef under the bus for whatever reason. So there's a disconnect between Stef and McD right now.

And again, on one hand I understand wanting control of your team and for your players to fall in line. On the other, Stef reported and was ready to roll. Why be heavy handed in a delicate situation if you can avoid it?

Okay..reading all the postings, interviews and cryptic tweets, I've pieced together my opinion on whats going on:

1.) Everyone knows how upset Diggs was with play calling and execution at the end of last season...and he let his emotions show.

2.) Diggs has conversations and meetings with team leadership as to how to resolve the issue (problems specifically with Dorsey/personality conflict?)..and gives the impression he will be at camp.

3.) Diggs DOES show up yesterday and this morning, but assuming the day today starts off with team meetings, he hears something from the HC, or more specifically the OC about the direction of the team for the season that is not what he thinks he was promised..and storms out of the facility before practice starts.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The point is more that the 13 seconds debacle is unacceptable and could have/should have gotten him fired.

It should have gotten Frazier demoted/fired.  Now McD is calling the shots.  If nothing improves, then the hot seat talk should start.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I mean, it was just an example to illustrate what sticking with a "good" coach will get you. There are probably better examples, and absolutely plenty of them. Its a common mistake.

Will the Bills make it as well?

You think we might replace the HC with the DC if things go well?    

😋

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Marvin Lewis was a .518 coach with the Bengals, lost 7 straight wild card playoff games, and only made the playoffs seven seasons out of 16.

McDermott is .639, won 4 of 9 playoff games, made the playoffs five of six seasons, and the Bills are 3X defending AFC East champs.

I see your point...they're exactly the same.  <_<

Same amount of Super Bowls

Similar MO of melting down in the playoffs.

No comparison is 1:1. You either understand the point I was using Lewis to (loosely) illustrate, or you end up on @Einstein's homer list!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.