A.J. Klein: "This Defense Will Be More Aggressive" | One Bills Live | Buffalo Bills

Punching Bag

11 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I'm really looking forward to seeing this defense ran by McD. A healthy Hyde and Poyer. White bouncing back a bit. The return of Von. Year 2 of the young CBs. And new look ways to get pressure on the QB...this defense has potential to be really solid.

And Poony!

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Bills defense are going to need to find a new base for their defense and it will be a different scheme than we used last 5 years.  

Arguably the most intriguing aspect of the team heading into the season.  

Seems like a very precarious situation to me. 

11 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Let's assume it is more aggressive which I doubt. 

Why the wait? Why would the HC allow the DC to run a less passive scheme than what the HC wants?

When McD got the HC job he knew he had to learn the whole job.  He did what any smart coach would do — he brought in a veteran, competent DC so he could focus on all of the other aspects of becoming a HC.  That has been a six year process and I think even his detractors would acknowledge growth by McD in those areas.  There is no doubt he “backed off” calling the defense in order to be more of an overall manager of the team.

And let’s face it — the Bills’ regular season defenses have been excellent under Frazier.  The issue has been the playoffs.

I believe McD when he says he is “rejuvenated” by the thought of calling the defense.  I absolutely expect him to put his stamp on it and do what he believes is necessary to stifle the high-powered offenses of the AFC.

It’s a curious thing to me — those who want to always assume the worst. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like (+1) 2

More aggressive means more big plays in both directions. You just hope that the lion's share of them help the D. 

As far as AJ Klein as starter is concerned, I think his physical limitations make that an undesirable outcome. Bernard has much better speed and has added bulk. Williams' is one of the fastest LB's if not the fastest in the NFL. Seriously, he has WR/CB speed. I'm hoping one or both of these 2 younger players emerges as a great matchup LB with AJ as his mentor. That would be ideal.

The top QBs will mainly tear through whatever D the Bills toss out there.   And whatever D anyone else tosses out there.   So yeah, the D will look "solid" and "tough" against the bottom 20 teams who have crappy QB play.   But when the chips are down, the offense will need to score 30+ regardless of what the D looks like.  Its a passing league now and against the top QBs, defense really doesn't matter nearly as much as how many points can you put up while your D tries to get maybe a couple stops each half.   This is what the NFL has become at the highest levels.   When you cannot touch the WRs or the QB, the quality of your defense loses a lot of its relevance IMHO.  

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

But when the chips are down, the offense will need to score 30+ regardless of what the D looks like.  Its a passing league now and against the top QBs, defense really doesn't matter

TOTALLY agree. Defense in 2023 is about slowing 2 series on top 10 QB. Slowing is not the same as stopping in 90’s. Paired to Explosive O is the key in 2023 to D. “Solid run game, great D” is no longer a thing in NFL. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

TOTALLY agree. Defense in 2023 is about slowing 2 series on top 10 QB. Slowing is not the same as stopping in 90’s. Paired to Explosive O is the key in 2023 to D. “Solid run game, great D” is no longer a thing in NFL. 

Absolutely. And the defence winning the 2 or 3 "big moments" in a game. 

28 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

But when the chips are down, the offense will need to score 30+ regardless of what the D looks like.  Its a passing league now and against the top QBs, defense really doesn't matter nearly as much

The final score of the AFCCG was 23-20. It is actually possible to slow down top offenses - the Bengals have done it multiple times in two consecutive playoff years. Their DC has proven to be one of the best in the league and changes his scheme for the opponent. Will McDermtt finally be willing to do that? We'll see.

2 hours ago, eball said:

When McD got the HC job he knew he had to learn the whole job.  He did what any smart coach would do — he brought in a veteran, competent DC so he could focus on all of the other aspects of becoming a HC.  That has been a six year process and I think even his detractors would acknowledge growth by McD in those areas.  There is no doubt he “backed off” calling the defense in order to be more of an overall manager of the team.

And let’s face it — the Bills’ regular season defenses have been excellent under Frazier.  The issue has been the playoffs.

I believe McD when he says he is “rejuvenated” by the thought of calling the defense.  I absolutely expect him to put his stamp on it and do what he believes is necessary to stifle the high-powered offenses of the AFC.

It’s a curious thing to me — those who want to always assume the worst. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I don’t assume the worst. I just don't beleive he was that hands off the defense over the last several years. And you know as well as I those regular season defenses the last few years have faced one bottom feeder QB after another allowing them to pad their stats.

It just makes no sense that after losing to the Chiefs in back to back AFC playoff games that now he is going to get more involved and there will be a radical difference.  Add the Houston collapse and it just doesn't jive. 

That said the D won the Ravens and Colts playoff games. Which is interesting.  If anything the Bills run D is what gets gashed from time to time in the regular season and then they play well against running teams in the playoffs only for the vaunted secondary to get picked apart by the Chiefs. But who doesn't get picked apart by the Chiefs. Add the regular season success against the Chiefs and it is all the more frustrating and perplexing. 

All of this is of course magnified by 13 seconds where defensive timeouts were called before each play and still they allowed the Chiefs to get into FG range. 

Anyhow, all this talk doesn't matter. 

McD owns it and let's see how it plays out. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Let's assume it is more aggressive which I doubt. 

Why the wait? Why would the HC allow the DC to run a less passive scheme than what the HC wants?

Again, I want McD calling the plays so there is no doubt who is in charge of the defense. If he truly is more aggressive then great. 

Keep in mind arguably the greatest play in Bills history was a pick six by Taron Johnson paying zone coverage in the red zone with a four man rush. 

i have to agree with all the above.  After the infamous 13 second fiasco, that is when McDermott should have FORCED a radical change, he didnt and squandered possibly a year.  Now he has no fall guy.

This defense would have been destroyed if they were more aggressive last year. They were on their 5th string S. White was out and wasn’t the same player. Elam struggled. We have one pass rusher and he got hurt. 

this defense will be more aggressive if we are healthy. Frazier was a giant scapegoat.  Injuries and lack of production from high draft picks were the main reasons for the “failings” of our lowly 2nd ranked defense. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, GreggTX said:

More aggressive means more big plays in both directions. You just hope that the lion's share of them help the D. 

As far as AJ Klein as starter is concerned, I think his physical limitations make that an undesirable outcome. Bernard has much better speed and has added bulk. Williams' is one of the fastest LB's if not the fastest in the NFL. Seriously, he has WR/CB speed. I'm hoping one or both of these 2 younger players emerges as a great matchup LB with AJ as his mentor. That would be ideal.

Wrong.. bolded is so wrong..   Being aggressive is not about more big plays. Being aggressive is about shutting down plays too 1 or 2 yards with more consistency. 

As to the second bolded. That LB position is going to by committee with situational awareness. IF they need a run stop or on first down.. then its likely to see Klien in there but this is going to be a rotation. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

How they are going about things this year is different. The Verbiage with the press is stronger. Pay attention to this interview from 31:50 on.

Babich is very articulate, thoughtful guy, I think he is destined to be a DC in not to many years if not HC eventually.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.