Ross Tucker ranks NFL Coach’s, places McDermott at #22.

Chandler#81

3 hours ago, Pirate Angel said:

If the Bills fire McDermott today...he will have a head coaching gig tomorrow. How many on that list ahead of him will be knocked back to coordinator somewhere. 

Yeah he probably will. He'll probably win alot of regular season games only to struggle in the playoffs.  4 years is a trend, not an anomaly. And honestly I'm giving Josh much more credit for these wins than any brilliant game day strategies by McD.  13 seconds kind of validates that. It's just so damn hard to criticize him because of pulling this organization out of the drought.  And all his success with the team culture.  He's just not going to ever outscheme coaches in high leverage games.  Levy had the same problem. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Meh.     Andy Reid hasn't sustained success for 20+ straight years Ross........he's actually had 5 non-winning seasons.   He didn't get fired in Philly because he had a winning season.   Also one of the greatest playoff chokers.   Even as recently as blowing a 24 point halftime lead in the AFCCG in January 2022.   Also blew a 28 point lead in playoffs to the Colts.   Lost how many championship games at home?   But Reid hung around for a couple decades and finally won a couple SB's with the best player in the league.   McDermott has a lot to prove but he's a good decade straight of bad playoff finishes away from choking at Reid's level.   Belichick is the best coach in the NFL and it's not even close.   Given similar talent he'd continue beating Reid over and over and over in playoff football.    He's just on a different level than Andy who is more of a modern day Cowher/Schottenheimer but on the offensive side of the ball.   

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Analysis: He’s done a lot of winning and deserves credit for that but the combination of losing games against far inferior teams in the regular season, which hurts playoff seeding, and then getting outcoached in the postseason is troubling. It seems like it’s going to get harder, not easier, for this group of Bills to break through with a Super Bowl berth.

This, to me, is 100% spot on. 

Give him credit for helping to turn the Bills into a perennial playoff team. 

But when you’ve got one of the best QBs in the NFL, just getting to the playoffs does not define success. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't disagree with most of the analysis besides the losing to inferior teams part.  I'm guessing the ratio of winning/losing to inferior teams measures up against the best on the list.

I disagree with the ranking as I'd put him in the 8-12 range.  Also, Belichick should be way ahead of Reid if you're looking at it from a coaching only perspective.

2 hours ago, Wizard said:

McDermott is a good coach. The criticisms like others have said have merit to them.

I would really like to see him be more aggressive on defense and find someone to mentor Dorsey if he likes him as his OC.

He has a couple of hurdles to make that are huge. It is what separates a good coach from a great coach to a legendary coach.

What really irks me is the selection of Dorsey. Why? 

The Bills were in win it all mode last year. Big time hype and overwhelming favorites to win the Super Bowl. 

With that said, you don't put your chips into a rookie unproven OC. I don't care if he got Allen's blessing. I don't care if Dorsey had some familiarity with the offense. The Bills needed to upgrade the OC position. Not roll the dice with an unproven raw QB coach. 

Dorsey was the wrong guy for the job. He was unable to restrain a wild Allen, his offense lacked an identity, he abandoned the run game often, he lacked ingenuity, lacked using all his weapons, etc...

His offense got taken to the woodshed by DC Lou A. It was clear Dorsey had no answers. I'd argue last year Dosey hurt the Bills chances to advance further. Not the optimal choice by the Bills brass who clearly were favorites to win it all.

Can Dorsey improve? Of course that's possible. Same can be said that his elementary play calling continues. 

This year should tell us a lot about Dorsey and McD. That's a good thing because it's time to Shi$ or get off the pot.

We fans are salavating for a Super Bowl appearence and win. Just ask Allen and Diggs how they feel...

Edited by newcam2012
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

24 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

^. ^

simple answer that anyone who follows the team can tell you. Dorsey is OC because Josh wanted him to be.

Beginning and end of discussion.

Just like LeBron wanted Westbrook. How did that work out? 

Players should stick to playing and let managers make personnel decisions. 

Beginning and end of conversation. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

What really irks me is the selection of Dorsey. Why? 

The Bills were in win it all mode last year. Big time hype and overwhelming favorites to win the Super Bowl. 

With that said, you don't put your chips into a rookie unproven OC. I don't care if he got Allen's blessing. I don't care if Dorsey had some familiarity with the offense. The Bills needed to upgrade the OC position. Not roll the dice with an unproven raw QB coach. 

Dorsey was the wrong guy for the job. He was unable to restrain a wild Allen, his offense lacked an identity, he abandoned the run game often, he lacked ingenuity, lacked using all his weapons, etc...

His offense got taken to the woodshed by DC Lou A. It was clear Dorsey had no answers. I'd argue last year Dosey hurt the Bills chances to advance further. Not the optimal choice by the Bills brass who clearly were favorites to win it all.

Can Dorsey improve? Of course that's possible. Same can be said that his elementary play calling continues. 

This year should tell us a lot about Dorsey and McD. That's a good thing because it's time to Shi$ or get off the pot.

We fans are salavating for a Super Bowl appearence and win. Just ask Allen and Diggs how they feel...

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

^. ^

simple answer that anyone who follows the team can tell you. Dorsey is OC because Josh wanted him to be.

Beginning and end of discussion.

Oh please.  Dorsey was being groomed to replace Daboll since he became QB's coach in 2019.  He had ties back to the Panthers with McBeane since 2013.  Their were teams after Dorsey for the OC position in 2021 but Dorsey received a promotion in title because the Bills brass knew they wouldn't have Daboll much longer.  It wasn't Josh stumping for him that got him the job.

In terms of his performance.  The cold hard stats say that we finished second in points and yards per game and yards per game (better than the 2021 offense under Daboll).  That was despite losing Beasley and Sanders who were better in their roles in 2021 than McKenzie and Davis were in 2022.  Not bad for a first time coordinator despite the bad game in the divisional round of the playoffs.  Let's see what Dorsey can do in his second year with an upgraded o-line and a better TE2 before we cry about his hiring.

21 hours ago, Gregg said:

I think #22 is too low. McDermott should be ranked higher but he is not really wrong with his assessment especially with the playoff failures.

Fair enough. Maybe Tucker is taking into account the fact that McDermott is also in full control of the draft and that Beane serves under, not over him.

I can see McDermott being in the 8-15 range. You could argue different orders based on your preference of a coaches traits.

8-15 feels right though. 

Without the 13 seconds he's a lock for the top 5, without the blowout loss to the Bengals in the playoffs he's a lock for top 3.

So it's really splitting hairs, he didn't win those games so he's ranked lower, but he isn't far off.

Hopefully Frazier leaving brings some toughness to the defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

I disagree.  We're spoiled by success.  The 13 second game was a crazy failure, starting with the kickoff.  The Cinci game was a matter of our team just being out of gas and exhausted.  The defensive failures in the playoffs, following top rankings all season long....that's the problem.  McDermott has addressed this by taking over, and this will be the year when that all changes.

22 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Losing winnable games in regular season that negatively impact playoff seeding and stinking up the joint once we get there have Sean ranked 10 from the bottom.

Frankly, that’s fair. Imo.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/rankings/nfl-head-coaching-rankings-which-teams-coach-reigns-supreme/

22. Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills

Seasons With Team: 6 | Head Coaching Record: 62-35

Analysis: He’s done a lot of winning and deserves credit for that but the combination of losing games against far inferior teams in the regular season, which hurts playoff seeding, and then getting outcoached in the postseason is troubling. It seems like it’s going to get harder, not easier, for this group of Bills to break through with a Super Bowl berth.

I love it.

What I’ve been saying for years now.

McClap very average coach hidden behind a superstar QB.

Daboll should’ve never been allowed to leave building. Will haunt franchise for years if we don’t win one with Allen.

Expectation this year is AFC title game minimum or McDermott needs fired immediately afterwards.

We don’t have another year to waste with a defensive minded mediocre HC trying to lead this team to the promise land. 

We have to go from good to great. McDermott helped the rebuild, but he isn’t going to get us over the top.

I’ll continue to repeat it until he’s fired.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Oh please.  Dorsey was being groomed to replace Daboll since he became QB's coach in 2019.  He had ties back to the Panthers with McBeane since 2013.  Their were teams after Dorsey for the OC position in 2021 but Dorsey received a promotion in title because the Bills brass knew they wouldn't have Daboll much longer.  It wasn't Josh stumping for him that got him the job.

In terms of his performance.  The cold hard stats say that we finished second in points and yards per game and yards per game (better than the 2021 offense under Daboll).  That was despite losing Beasley and Sanders who were better in their roles in 2021 than McKenzie and Davis were in 2022.  Not bad for a first time coordinator despite the bad game in the divisional round of the playoffs.  Let's see what Dorsey can do in his second year with an upgraded o-line and a better TE2 before we cry about his hiring.

That's fair. 

12 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

I disagree.  We're spoiled by success.  The 13 second game was a crazy failure, starting with the kickoff.  The Cinci game was a matter of our team just being out of gas and exhausted.  The defensive failures in the playoffs, following top rankings all season long....that's the problem.  McDermott has addressed this by taking over, and this will be the year when that all changes.

Hope you are right. I have to see it to believe it. I have a difficult time thinking the Bills will get past KC or Cinci. 

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yeah he probably will. He'll probably win alot of regular season games only to struggle in the playoffs.  4 years is a trend, not an anomaly. And honestly I'm giving Josh much more credit for these wins than any brilliant game day strategies by McD.  13 seconds kind of validates that. It's just so damn hard to criticize him because of pulling this organization out of the drought.  And all his success with the team culture.  He's just not going to ever outscheme coaches in high leverage games.  Levy had the same problem. 

But you don't give Josh the same blame for the losses. Take the 2021 game in Kansas City out. Everyone accepts that we blew that one and it was overwhelmingly on coaching. But in the other three playoff losses of the Allen era he has 2touchdown passes and two interceptions and has been a c.56% passer. So if you want to say that in the 4 wins McDermott has been propped up by Josh then you at least have to accept that in 3 of the 4 defeats Josh's performance has hurt them. I get it, 13 seconds is the thing that jumps out in minds, but when you look beyond that our other playoff losses have come when Josh is outplayed by the other QB. 

5 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I think so, yes.

He isn't. He has the power to veto if he wished. He delegates to Brandon Beane. Beane runs the personnel side even if in the overall relationship he is subordinate to Sean. 

Edited by GunnerBill

23 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Losing winnable games in regular season that negatively impact playoff seeding and stinking up the joint once we get there have Sean ranked 10 from the bottom.

Frankly, that’s fair. Imo.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/rankings/nfl-head-coaching-rankings-which-teams-coach-reigns-supreme/

22. Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills

Seasons With Team: 6 | Head Coaching Record: 62-35

There may be some substance to what this guy has said but i would much rather have McD than lets say Chan Galley which i did like or any of the number of coaches the Bills had prior to McD getting here & if it wasn't for him & Beane the Bills wouldn't have a new stadium coming IMHO .

They say winning cures everything but Bills fans will B**CH about everything even winning & i think some would even complain when he brings a SB to Buffalo there will be something that he could have done better .

Andy Reid one of the best to ever walk the side line took years to get his first SB win which i don't think McD is as far away as he was when he was pushed out of Philly & i for one will stick with him until he does bring the Bills that Lombardy because i think he learns from his mistakes & that day will come !! 

GO BILLS !!! 

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He isn't. He has the power to veto if he wished. He delegates to Brandon Beane. Beane runs the personnel side even if in the overall relationship he is subordinate to Sean. 

Ok, so you think that Beane was focusing on drafting 1st round defensive backs and DTs, and MLBs?

Let's blame Beane for giving away the best player in the NFL and drafting a corner instead. No wait.......Beane was not on the team yet.  Never mind. ;) 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.