Ross Tucker ranks NFL Coach’s, places McDermott at #22.

Chandler#81

7 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

He made the playoffs because of one ridiculously unlikely play in Cincy's last game. 

I love when someone uses this argument. 

The Bills did what they had to in that last game against Miami. In a season where they were projected to be garbage. That season was a good coaching job.

Baltimore didn't finish against Cincy. Sucked to be them. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I'm not a huge McDermott guy but 22 is ridiculous.

You got the offensive gurus like Reid Shanahan Mcvay Pederson Daboll Payton. 

Belichick Harbaugh Tomlin. 

Vrabel who can turn crap into gold. 

He's somewhere in the 10-15 range. Certainly not elite as a head coach, and his stubbornness and "process" can be annoying as hell. And if we stumble in the playoffs this year than we really need to start questioning if we will ever get over the hump with him. But you can definitely do a lot worse at HC.

I'm excited to see him as a DC this year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

He made the playoffs because of one ridiculously unlikely play in Cincy's last game. 

7 of the 9 teams we beat that season finished with 4, 5, or 6 wins.  We were embarrassed by the Bortles led Jags in the Wild-Card round and put up our 4th worst offensive performance of the season.  So if it was a referendum on beating up on the league's weak and feeble, yeah, it was a good season.  

For us to win a Super Bowl he's going to have to coach as if he's among the top, because those are the coaches that will be standing in his way come January.  

You’re on ignore now. Save your breath from now on.  Or don’ts. Either way, I won’t be reading it

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, DCofNC said:

After the 13 seconds and the Cinci dismantling, there should be real consequences.

A case can certainly be made for that. But beane is never going to fire McDermott imo. If they’re gonna go I think it’ll be both of them. I don’t think terry is in any kind of rush to do that either

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Losing winnable games in regular season that negatively impact playoff seeding and stinking up the joint once we get there have Sean ranked 10 from the bottom.

Frankly, that’s fair. Imo.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/rankings/nfl-head-coaching-rankings-which-teams-coach-reigns-supreme/

22. Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills

Seasons With Team: 6 | Head Coaching Record: 62-35

Analysis: He’s done a lot of winning and deserves credit for that but the combination of losing games against far inferior teams in the regular season, which hurts playoff seeding, and then getting outcoached in the postseason is troubling. It seems like it’s going to get harder, not easier, for this group of Bills to break through with a Super Bowl berth.

That's not fair. It's pretty nuts.

It's fairer than it looks, as he's trying to correct for strong rosters. But when you look at McDermott's first three years here, his teams absolutely outworn their roster strengths.

He's a lot better than that.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

A case can certainly be made for that. But beane is never going to fire McDermott imo. If they’re gonna go I think it’ll be both of them. I don’t think terry is in any kind of rush to do that either

I agree. Beane and McDermott are tied and will stay or go together. They have concurrent contracts through 2025 so a decision will be made (one way or the other) by no later than after the 2024 season.

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, loyal2dagame said:

I love when someone uses this argument. 

The Bills did what they had to in that last game against Miami. In a season where they were projected to be garbage. That season was a good coaching job.

Baltimore didn't finish against Cincy. Sucked to be them. 

Yeah, it's too bad that we were talking about 2017, not last season. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Losing winnable games in regular season that negatively impact playoff seeding and stinking up the joint once we get there have Sean ranked 10 from the bottom.

Frankly, that’s fair. Imo.

Ross Tucker just proved himself to be an idiot. 

You, on the other hand, are better than that. You know its not a fair ranking. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

You’re on ignore now. Save your breath from now on.  Or don’ts. Either way, I won’t be reading it

That's fine, as you wish.  

But the question remains, it's true, therefore is it relevant?  

Other prior coaches that finished 7-9 or 8-8, or even the same 9-7 but failed to make the playoffs didn't have such luck.  Since it's schedule, it is luck.  

Pumping it up as if it's some sort of coaching marvel is entirely disingenuous.  

3 hours ago, PBF81 said:

7 of the 9 teams we beat that season finished with 4, 5, or 6 wins.  We were embarrassed by the Bortles led Jags in the Wild-Card round and put up our 4th worst offensive performance of the season.  So if it was a referendum on beating up on the league's weak and feeble, yeah, it was a good season.  

For us to win a Super Bowl he's going to have to coach as if he's among the top, because those are the coaches that will be standing in his way come January.  

So far McD has been out coached by a pretty wide margin in the last few playoff games.

Is it too early to start thinking he might not be the leader to led the way to the Lombardi trophy? 

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

That's not fair. It's pretty nuts.

It's fairer than it looks, as he's trying to correct for strong rosters. But when you look at McDermott's first three years here, his teams absolutely outworn their roster strengths.

He's a lot better than that.

He's better than 22. However, he's proven to be mediocre and insuperior to the likes of Andy Reid and others in the playoffs. 

Until he gets his team to a Super Bowl the criticism will always be there as long as Allen is the QB. 

Five years and counting...What makes you think this is the year McD and the Bills will make the leap? 

55 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

So far McD has been out coached by a pretty wide margin in the last few playoff games.

Is it too early to start thinking he might not be the leader to led the way to the Lombardi trophy? 

Well, after 7 seasons of coaching one would think that there'd be a pattern towards improvement, but he appears to be getting worse if anything.  But even if he's stayed the course, that's hardly a sign that he's the one to get it done, right?  I mean if he hasn't sorted himself out in that way after 8 seasons, how many should he need?  

He's the coach for this season, but with Frasier gone he's not going to be able to get away with firing the Safeties Coach again.  

We'll know more in 6-7 months.  Who knows, maybe we'll win it all this season.  I will say this however, we have the players on offense that with a few tweaks to the OL we could easily have the 2023 version of Air Coryell with someone that knows how to optimize that offensive talent.  That'd be an incredibly well-balanced offense that could lead the league in every facet of offense.  

Strangely, McD's a defensive guy, but the problem in the playoffs has been defense, I can't imagine an offensive head-coach doing worse defensively in the playoffs.  

• Like (+1) 1

McDermott is a good coach. The criticisms like others have said have merit to them.

I would really like to see him be more aggressive on defense and find someone to mentor Dorsey if he likes him as his OC.

He has a couple of hurdles to make that are huge. It is what separates a good coach from a great coach to a legendary coach.

I'm one of the biggest and longest tenured McDermott skeptics on this board, but it is an absolutely joke, click bait, and attention seeking move to rank him 22nd. He's easily in the top 10 coaches in the NFL. 

I am still skeptical he will win a SB with Josh and I've been on record I'd take Harbaugh or Riley over him right now.

However if he was fired this season no less than 10 clubs would hire him in an instant. He would be an instant upgrade over most of the guy in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.