Ross Tucker ranks NFL Coach’s, places McDermott at #22.

Chandler#81

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I am starting to wonder if a defensive head coach just can't get it done in the modern NFL. Even if you have an amazing OC that OC is guaranteed to be a head coach before long. IMO this is a big year for McDermott. Ben Johnson will likely be a head coach in 2024. If we once again have a disappointing playoff exit I will badly want the next young offensive minded hotshot leading the way for the back half of Allen's career. Unfortunately I don't think Pegula agrees. I think McDermott is here for the next 5 years minimum as long as we are in the playoffs each year.

This is a false narrative about McDermott that continues to persist.  He has one of the best records of making the appropriate calls on 4th down based upon analytics — which is anything but a “conservative, defensive-minded” coach.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, eball said:

This is a false narrative about McDermott that continues to persist.  He has one of the best records of making the appropriate calls on 4th down based upon analytics — which is anything but a “conservative, defensive-minded” coach.

He just means from the defensive side of the ball

7 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

This is an honest and accurate assessment. I like Sean as a person but his coaching abilities are mediocre.  Most coaches get fired after an event like 13 seconds. I would prefer a long term offensive HC to work with Josh.  JMHO

so would Diggs...

This has nothing to do with my post. I don't think McDermott is especially conservative. He is however a defensive head coach in a league mostly led by offenses now. The last defensive minded head coach to even be in a Super Bowl was Belichick in 2019. It is hard to argue with that trend.

13 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Belichick

Reid

Shanahan

McVay

Tomlin

Carroll

Pederson

Siriani

Taylor

McCarthy

Harbaugh

Payton

Can't really put him above any of these guys and none of the rest have anything close to a Josh Allen so I think it stands

That’s also 12 coaches. That’s not the bottom half like you had suggested.  Makes him the 13th.  

I had the same list but I had mistakenly omitted Payton and purposely omitted McCarthy.  Sure McCarthy has a Super Bowl, but he’s also had several lackluster seasons with really talented teams and has underperformed in the playoffs several season. He had the QB many people think is the best QB they’ve ever seen in Rodgers. 13 years in GB with all world QBs and won one SB.   Mcdermott has had 3 years with an all world QB and his teams were beaten by Mahomes twice and Burrow once. 

you’d rather have McCarthy over McDermott? 

you think what stands?  That he should be considered in the bottom half of head coaches?  

Just now, NewEra said:

That’s also 12 coaches. That’s not the bottom half like you had suggested.  Makes him the 13th.  

I had the same list but I had mistakenly omitted Payton and purposely omitted McCarthy.  Sure McCarthy has a Super Bowl, but he’s also had several lackluster seasons with really talented teams and has underperformed in the playoffs several season. He had the QB many people think is the best QB they’ve ever seen in Rodgers. 13 years in GB with all world QBs and won one SB.   Mcdermott has had 3 years with an all world QB and his teams were beaten by Mahomes twice and Burrow once. 

you’d rather have McCarthy over McDermott? 

you think what stands?  That he should be considered in the bottom half of head coaches?  

Well I can't put him above guys w a super bowl

And he's really only 13tt if you just put him at the top of the rest

People laugh at Vrabel but imo McDermott is just Vrabel w a Josh Allen

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

The criticisms are fair, but that list overall is a joke.

There are a lot of coaches he has ranked ahead of McDermott, who either have no track record to date, whose winning track record is years in the past, or about whom the same criticisms could be made (only without the overall track record of wins)

I could care less about this list and ranking.  Whether he's 10th, 15th or 20th is irelavant.  Sean McDermott's legacy will come from his playoff performance.  If he gets this team to a Lombardi,  the Schottenheimer stigma will forever be off his back.  He will be forever exaulted. 

8 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

so would Diggs...

They should want a bright offensive mind to be HC.  This league has stressed passing and offense for awhile now.  So including Houston,  KC twice and Cincy, we've defensively melted badly in these playoff games.  That's on Sean.

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

They should want a bright offensive mind to be HC.  This league has stressed passing and offense for awhile now.  So including Houston,  KC twice and Cincy, we've defensively melted badly in these playoff games.  That's on Sean.

Indy too

• Dislike 1

18 minutes ago, eball said:

What do analytics say about his 4th quarter coaching in the playoffs?

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Indy too

I'm only counting the bounced games. Yes Indy and last season's Mia. playoff games were also nailbiters where the D struggled late.  The frustrating part in this narrative is we don't need the old Ravens or Bears D to win a SB.  Just a defense that can get off the field.  We couldn't get off the field in SB25.

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Think 5 years is a stretch.. I think McDermott has two years to get a SB victory, if that doesn’t happen then Pegula will think long and hard about his replacement. 

I agree. The clock starts this season. He gets 2 more years and then if we continue to get bounced,  Terry will make a move.  When is Dabs contract up??

15 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Well I can't put him above guys w a super bowl

And he's really only 13tt if you just put him at the top of the rest

People laugh at Vrabel but imo McDermott is just Vrabel w a Josh Allen

Right, you can’t put him above a coach with a sb. But who would you rather have?  Mcdermott or McCarthy?  I think McCarthy is one of the least desirable coaches.  I feel he’s underperformed at this point. 

if you can’t put McD over a coach with a SB, I don’t think it’s ok to put a coach that hasn’t even been to a conference championship game over McD.  6 years  ahead coach.  5 years in the playoffs….. coaching a franchise that didn’t go to the playoffs for 17 years.  What he’s done to this franchise is much more than 15 other head coaches have done for theirs.  He’s top 15 imo.  

I like vrabel. I think he’s done a fine job with what he’s had. I also think mcdermott has too.  Sure, he’s made some serious blunders in the playoffs…. Vs Mahomes x2 and Burrow.  And those games keep him out of the top 10.  

Agree to disagree. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Right, you can’t put him above a coach with a sb. But who would you rather have?  Mcdermott or McCarthy?  I think McCarthy is one of the least desirable coaches.  I feel he’s underperformed at this point. 

if you can’t put McD over a coach with a SB, I don’t think it’s ok to put a coach that hasn’t even been to a conference championship game over McD.  6 years  ahead coach.  5 years in the playoffs….. coaching a franchise that didn’t go to the playoffs for 17 years.  What he’s done to this franchise is much more than 15 other head coaches have done for theirs.  He’s top 15 imo.  

I like vrabel. I think he’s done a fine job with what he’s had. I also think mcdermott has too.  Sure, he’s made some serious blunders in the playoffs…. Vs Mahomes x2 and Burrow.  And those games keep him out of the top 10.  

Agree to disagree. 

Yes I think he's a little lower but I'd put him in that mid tier of coaches and you could say he's anywhere from 14-22 and I would probably agree w that

47 minutes ago, eball said:

4th down efficiency is only one piece of the equation. I'd argue the Bills 4th down success is attributed to Josh Allen and not McD play calling. 

• Eyeroll 1

9 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

4th down efficiency is only one piece of the equation. I'd argue the Bills 4th down success is attributed to Josh Allen and not McD play calling. 

I really wish DC Tom were here…he’d call you what you are.  You have to make the decision to go for it.

34 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

McD certainly hasn't thrived in the biggest playoff games. Imho, he's been our coached by a lot in the last few playoff games. He certainly deserves criticism. For the most part, he's been given a free pass by the fans and press. His good guy attitude and culture makes it difficult to not like him. Plus, he is instrumental in turning around the franchise. 

I get the McD support. I have mixed feelings. That 13 second disaster really has made me think of him in a different light. Add in that Cinci game and I'm really not convinced he's the coach to hoist a Lombardi. 

We will see what he has this year. Him taking over the D is a huge front and center moment. 

I really wish DC Tom were here…he’d call you what you are.  You have to make the decision to go for it.

So you have the stats and percentages of when McD made the correct call to go for it? Or the correct call to punt it? Would love to see those stats. 

Like I said previously, the 4th down success fails on Allen and his greatness. When you have Allen he makes coaches look great too. 

18 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yes I think he's a little lower but I'd put him in that mid tier of coaches and you could say he's anywhere from 14-22 and I would probably agree w that

To each their own. I think anyone that that would put him outside of the top 20 doesn’t know what they’re talking about. I believe that you know what you’re talking about and are only saying he could be 22nd to back up your statement. There no way anyone could say that arthur smith, McConnell or Staley is better. That’s just insane talk.  

on one end you talk as if mcdermott can’t be better than McCarthy because of his past accomplishment with a Goat-like QB.  And on the other end, you can see how coaches that have never even won a playoff game are better than McD.  

It just doesn’t make any sense to me. 

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

What's arguably more fascinating is how such an allegedly good coach (by this thread and comment) in McDermott can't sniff the big game w one of if not the best quarterback in the league

Let’s say this again….. he’s had an elite QB for 3 seasons.  In those 3 seasons, he’s been beaten by the other 2 QBs we would consider elite. Let’s say Josh is #3.  He’s been beaten by 1 and 2.   Again…. It’s been 3 seasons and he’s been eliminated by the other two best QBs in the league in all 3.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

He made the playoffs with Tyrod Taylor @ QB in a season in which everyone thought we were tanking.   Shady and Clay were our  most targeted receivers.  Zay, Deonte Thonpson, KB, Andre Holmes.  That team had a better record than Mike Mcdaniels who had a loaded roster and a better QB. 

Mike Tolbert.

He made the playoffs because of one ridiculously unlikely play in Cincy's last game. 

7 of the 9 teams we beat that season finished with 4, 5, or 6 wins.  We were embarrassed by the Bortles led Jags in the Wild-Card round and put up our 4th worst offensive performance of the season.  So if it was a referendum on beating up on the league's weak and feeble, yeah, it was a good season.  

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

It really is a joke.  

What’s even more of a joke is that some Bills fans are ok with him being behind these guys that have done nothing.  i think mcdermott is closer to 10 than to 20.  To have him 22 looks like click bait playing on bills mafias internet prowess.  He knows that one ranking will generate its fair share of clicks. 

For us to win a Super Bowl he's going to have to coach as if he's among the top, because those are the coaches that will be standing in his way come January.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.