Go Woke. Go Broke.

My 2 oldest saw Barbie this weekend.  They’re in high school and arguably more conservative then me.  Went with groups of friends.  

They didn’t think it was some lib indoctrination film.  They actually thought it was neutral.  

I continue to find the disconnect between what young people think vs the adults fascinating.  Sometimes things are more complicated.  

The movie didn’t market itself as anything but live action Barbie.  At least not that I saw.  We knew it was going to do anything but glorify the dam doll - and that women should just want to be pretty and wear expensive clothes.   

I don’t believe it’s core audience was supposed to be 9 year olds but rather 40 something moms who took their kids, and high schoolers.   

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Agree 2

33 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

My 2 oldest saw Barbie this weekend.  They’re in high school and arguably more conservative then me.  Went with groups of friends.  

They didn’t think it was some lib indoctrination film.  They actually thought it was neutral.  

I continue to find the disconnect between what young people think vs the adults fascinating.  Sometimes things are more complicated.  

The movie didn’t market itself as anything but live action Barbie.  At least not that I saw.  We knew it was going to do anything but glorify the dam doll - and that women should just want to be pretty and wear expensive clothes.   

I don’t believe it’s core audience was supposed to be 9 year olds but rather 40 something moms who took their kids, and high schoolers.   

I haven’t seen it but have heard there is some satire and self-awareness, it’s possible that could’ve gone over some heads. I heard a part near the end that suggests this but I won’t spoil it here. 

The interesting thing is there’s a lot of reviews on YouTube from people saying it’s ultra woke and feminist while also saying they haven’t seen it or never would. 

Which is fine but I don’t know how they could then have a fully formed opinion. 

Edited by HomeskillitMoorman
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

That took all of 10 seconds

There were 20 responses.

The leader with 7  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . BillStime.

What happened to 2000 Mules?

It just - disappeared.

Why?

2 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

You compared Sound of Freedom to 2000 mules

Where did this happen?

Where did I write a review of SOF where I made any comparison to movies I have never seen?

Go Woke, Cash In!

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/weekend-box-office-results-barbie-and-oppenheimer-post-historic-numbers/

We've already been through how woke Barbie is. Ol' Tarheel thinks they even feminized Ken! Back in his day, his Ken doll used to mount his GI Joe doll.

I just saw Oppenheimer. It's a good film. Not great, but very good and very well made and acted. But it would be fair to say it is "sympathetic to communists." Or at least that it bent over backwards to be understanding about why people saw the appeal of the American (not Soviet) communist party. Including Oppenheimer himself. It is also critical of the post-WWII American powers that be for escalating the nuclear arms race. 

And guess what? Woke is winning!

7 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Go Woke, Cash In!

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/weekend-box-office-results-barbie-and-oppenheimer-post-historic-numbers/

We've already been through how woke Barbie is. Ol' Tarheel thinks they even feminized Ken! Back in his day, his Ken doll used to mount his GI Joe doll.

I just saw Oppenheimer. It's a good film. Not great, but very good and very well made and acted. But it would be fair to say it is "sympathetic to communists." Or at least that it bent over backwards to be understanding about why people saw the appeal of the American (not Soviet) communist party. Including Oppenheimer himself. It is also critical of the post-WWII American powers that be for escalating the nuclear arms race. 

And guess what? Woke is winning!

I am sure Bud Light has a different opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

So the thread should be titled: Go Woke, Sometimes Lose Money, Sometimes Make Money!

Woke is supported by a vocal minority on the extreme left. Most of the country doesn't support it. They are winning nothing and companies who advertise this woke agenda are finding that out the hard way.

My brother took his kids to see it this weekend and said it was very well done.  He took his two teens and their friends. 

He only went cause his wife backed out, but said it was better than he expected.

He did mention that the basic storyline is similar to Wakanda.  IE, the current culture is bad, the make-believe world is eutopia.

On 7/23/2023 at 1:58 PM, BillStime said:

Quote me or fo

On July 7th you wrote in the Sound of Freedom thread:

Is it about Mules?

On 7/23/2023 at 1:04 PM, B-Man said:

That took all of 10 seconds

There were 20 responses.

The leader with 7  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . BillStime.

And here is your comments about 2000 mules

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

On July 7th you wrote in the Sound of Freedom thread:

Is it about Mules?

And here is your comCrane Holdings, Co.ments about 2000 mules

Sarcasm is now viewed as a formal REVIEW of a movie - got it.

Try harder, please.

1 minute ago, BillStime said:

Sarcasm is now viewed as a formal REVIEW of a movie - got it.

Try harder, please.

So since it was not FORMAL, we can't mock you for being a hypocrite? Ok please hold yourself to that standard, or really any standard of decency 

Bud Light parent company Anheuser-Busch announced yesterday that they are laying off 350 employees.

Losing a job is never easy and it's unfortunate their company decided to prioritize woke ideology over doing what was best for the brand.

So we want to help.

If any laid off Bud Light employee reaches out to @officialpsq or @RedBalloonWork, we will help you find a new job in our network of non-woke businesses.

Here is our open letter.

Self-inflicted.

Disney’s dire year at the box office continues with its latest $150 million flop bombing even harder than expected

Disney movies not bombing is now the exception, not the rule.

by Scott Campbell

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/disneys-dire-year-at-the-box-office-continues-with-its-latest-150-million-flop-bombing-even-harder-than-expected/

I have no idea why they did "Haunted Mansion" again after the first one with Eddie Murphy was a flop.  I hope they're rethinking that "Snow White" remake because that's going to be a flop as well.

• Agree 1

On 7/24/2023 at 8:26 AM, Gregg said:

Woke is supported by a vocal minority on the extreme left. Most of the country doesn't support it. They are winning nothing and companies who advertise this woke agenda are finding that out the hard way.

Are they really?

You take a look at nearly every beer company and I’m not talking about Bud Light and they are supporting woke ism in someway or another. They are not losing money because of it.

How my favorite beer of choice Corona has been walk for a while they’re not losing money

On 7/30/2023 at 10:34 AM, John from Riverside said:

Are they really?

You take a look at nearly every beer company and I’m not talking about Bud Light and they are supporting woke ism in someway or another. They are not losing money because of it.

How my favorite beer of choice Corona has been walk for a while they’re not losing money

I think most of the country is in the middle politically no matter if they are a D or R not the extreme left or right. 

• Like (+1) 3

To me, there is a spectrum of wokeism. Some consider the simple acceptance as being woke. To others, concerns don't manifest until activism is introduced. Soft vs hard woke, if you will. Personally, I'm accepting of anything an adult wants to do. I don't bring an "in your face" activisim to anyone and I expect the same from those I choose to interact with. Those that feel the need to get all activist, from any perspective, aren't in my social circles.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

WHO COULD HAVE SEEN THIS COMING, BESIDES EVERYONE? 

Target Sales Are Punished by Pride Month Backlash:

Retailer lowers profit goal for full year; executives say they will modify Pride Month promotion.

Target TGT 3.21%increase; green up pointing triangle said shopper backlash over its Pride Month collection, as well as cautious consumers, pushed sales sharply lower in the most recent quarter.

The retailer said it expected sales to decline again in the current quarter and lowered its profit goal for the full year. Executives said they would still mark Pride Month next year but with a more focused assortment of merchandise. . . .

Retail rival TJX, which owns T.J. Maxx, Marshalls and HomeGoods, reported on Wednesday a 6% jump in comparable sales in the same quarter and raised its sales growth and profit targets for the year. TJX said it had strong foot traffic to its stores and demand for apparel and home goods. Shares gained 3% in premarket trading.

Target shares have fallen 16% so far this year. Its experience with its Pride collection exemplifies the cultural environment companies face when it comes to issues that could be perceived as controversial.

Who could have guessed that kid’s bikinis designed for boys to tuck their penises away would be “perceived as controversial?”

Again, everyone except the bubble-dwellers in Target’s fashion merchandising and marketing departments.

Another example of the diversity problem within nearly all of our major institutions.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/target-tgt-q2-earnings-report-2023-cc9acf81

• Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2023 at 8:34 AM, John from Riverside said:

Are they really?

Understand that there are degrees of woke, right? I think you're including some pretty mild shyt in your definition of of woke in order to defend some pretty crazy levels of woke. Understand there is a difference.

2 hours ago, Pokebball said:

Understand that there are degrees of woke, right? I think you're including some pretty mild shyt in your definition of of woke in order to defend some pretty crazy levels of woke. Understand there is a difference.

The degree of wokeness determines the degree of brokeness?

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pokebball said:

There is absolutely degrees of wokeness

Understand that the far left can be just as crazy as the far right some of it is just stupid

• Like (+1) 4