Stadium Construction Discussion (No PSL/Seat selection posts)

JÂy RÛßeÒ

Live view is up, site looks very active this morning! (lots of activity when I looked... probably just one lonely backhoe when you look)

Edited by GottaRun
  • Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks for posting. I only see one picture but my initial response is that I thought it’d be taller. 😂

My wife said the same thing the first time she "met" me

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

On 3/29/2024 at 9:01 AM, GottaRun said:

Live view is up, site looks very active this morning! (lots of activity when I looked... probably just one lonely backhoe when you look)

Hopefully they have brains enough to ultimately bury the utilities.   Would be so WNY to build a $2b stadium and then leave the utilities hanging from 1940's power poles.  

4 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Hopefully they have brains enough to ultimately bury the utilities.   Would be so WNY to build a $2b stadium and then leave the utilities hanging from 1940's power poles.  

But then we won’t get to have games blacked out by helium Mylar balloons let go by children!

7 hours ago, UConn James said:

But then we won’t get to have games blacked out by helium Mylar balloons let go by children!

That game was a mess to be at. But glad I was there considering it wasn’t on tv 

2 minutes ago, GottaRun said:

Big boy construction toys on the site at the moment, go full screen and give it a minute for the video to sharpen 

I see Hammer is allowing them to use his lot. 

4 minutes ago, GottaRun said:

Big boy construction toys on the site at the moment, go full screen and give it a minute for the video to sharpen 

Thanks for sharing. As they always say: “Planes don’t make money sitting on the ground”. And likewise: “Cranes don’t make money standing in one place.” 

Come on boys, put your backs into it! 😂

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I wonder if Hammer has received an offer.

He was close before. He is right next door now.

I have no doubt the Bills are going to buy him out.  I'm not sure what the future of tailgating will look like at the new stadium but I can almost guarantee they aren't going to want any of the "blue collar tailgating" going on in one of the lots right next to this new fancy schmancy stadium lol. 

• Disagree 1

22 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I wonder if Hammer has received an offer.

He was close before. He is right next door now.

I don’t want to throw Hammers business out there. But I’m putting money on it that the Bills will own that lot within 5 years. 

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, mrags said:

I don’t want to throw Hammers business out there. But I’m putting money on it that the Bills will own that lot within 5 years. 

Any idea what kind of values the Bills are paying for the other lots that I’ve read have been purchased?

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

Any idea what kind of values the Bills are paying for the other lots that I’ve read have been purchased?

Well they bought the mud lot last year. Don’t remember the exact number but I think it was something like 5m 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, mrags said:

Well they bought the mud lot last year. Don’t remember the exact number but I think it was something like 5m 

According to OnX app it looks like Erie County owns the Mud Lot, but that information is just a download from the county records and those take some time to reflect property transfers. 

Edited by WotAGuy

Just now, WotAGuy said:

According to OnX app it looks like Erie County owns the Mud Lot, but that I formation is just a download from the county records and those take some time to reflect property transfers. 

Which lot is the “mud lot”?

22 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Which lot is the “mud lot”?

I was just checking.  It is off Route 20A, south of the field house and next to Lot 1 on the east side.  County records show Brian Barco as owner, so the transfer hasn’t been updated in the web database. I saw a Reddit thread saying 2.5 million for the sale. Based on the county owning all the stadium property, I expect it was the county that bought the mud lot also.  Erie County property records don’t have any land owned by the Bills. 

Edited by WotAGuy

33 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

According to OnX app it looks like Erie County owns the Mud Lot, but that information is just a download from the county records and those take some time to reflect property transfers. 

Maybe because of the gifting of property for the new stadium there was something else with it. Idk. You’re looking at the lot behind the field house right? 

21 minutes ago, mrags said:

Maybe because of the gifting of property for the new stadium there was something else with it. Idk. You’re looking at the lot behind the field house right? 

Yes

image.thumb.jpeg.f3f2f4870fb93e1efbd8f8e5e8e04094.jpeg

13 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Yes

image.thumb.jpeg.f3f2f4870fb93e1efbd8f8e5e8e04094.jpeg

Yeah that’s correct. That lot was sold last year or just before that. I didn’t remember the exact amount. Something like 5m. Pretty sure it was bought by the Bills. They use it as their employee parking on game day now I believe. Because the employee parking was across the Abbott. But we know thats not an availability now. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

I was just checking.  It is off Route 20A, south of the field house and next to Lot 1 on the east side.  County records show Brian Barco as owner, so the transfer hasn’t been updated in the web database. I saw a Reddit thread saying 2.5 million for the sale. Based on the county owning all the stadium property, I expect it was the county that bought the mud lot also.  Erie County property records don’t have any land owned by the Bills. 

Zillow shows the following sales/pricing

August 2004 - Sold - $87,550

April 2016 - Sold - $275,000

March 2023 - Listed for $3,900,000

April 2023 - Price drop/listed for $2,900,000

August 2023 - Sold - $2,000,000

• Like (+1) 1

"40 years ago this week:

One of the lengthiest trials in the history of Western New York was underway in New York State Supreme Court.

It involved the proposed dome stadium in Lancaster which was supposed to serve as a new home for the Buffalo Bills.

In 1969, Erie County agreed in principle with developer Edward Cottrell to build the indoor, multi use stadium along with a theme park and hotel complex on land bounded by Genesee St., Harris Hill Rd., Walden Ave., and Story Rd.

However, as cost estimates for the project rose, the county shifted gears and decided on an open air stadium in Orchard Park for about one-third of the cost of the dome stadium complex.

Cottrell sued for breach of contract, seeking more than $400 million in damages,. and setting off a near two decade long legal battle.

After it took 14 years for the case to get to trial, the trial  itself lasted 42 weeks and concluded with Cottrell being awarded $53 million. However, after another five years of appeals, the county finally paid Cottrell $10 million, concluding the case after 19 years."

Lancaster-Dome.jpg

What could have been.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

"40 years ago this week:

One of the lengthiest trials in the history of Western New York was underway in New York State Supreme Court.

It involved the proposed dome stadium in Lancaster which was supposed to serve as a new home for the Buffalo Bills.

In 1969, Erie County agreed in principle with developer Edward Cottrell to build the indoor, multi use stadium along with a theme park and hotel complex on land bounded by Genesee St., Harris Hill Rd., Walden Ave., and Story Rd.

However, as cost estimates for the project rose, the county shifted gears and decided on an open air stadium in Orchard Park for about one-third of the cost of the dome stadium complex.

Cottrell sued for breach of contract, seeking more than $400 million in damages,. and setting off a near two decade long legal battle.

After it took 14 years for the case to get to trial, the trial  itself lasted 42 weeks and concluded with Cottrell being awarded $53 million. However, after another five years of appeals, the county finally paid Cottrell $10 million, concluding the case after 19 years."

Lancaster-Dome.jpg

What could have been.

Had a friend on this jury.  They were sequestered for much of that time from what I recall. It was a nightmare for them. 

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

"40 years ago this week:

Lancaster-Dome.jpg

What could have been.

Litigation of any kind should never take 19 years to complete. There’s just too much BS baked into the system and only available to very deep pocketed adversaries. 

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Litigation of any kind should never take 19 years to complete. There’s just too much BS baked into the system and only available to very deep pocketed adversaries. 

The thing is Buffalo was that close to creating a "Patriot Place" decades before the idea ever dawned on Robert Kraft. This was supposed to include a hotel and retail development. Who knows what the team's fortunes would have been playing in a dome since 1972? It would have been that much closer to Rochester as well.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The thing is Buffalo was that close to creating a "Patriot Place" decades before the idea ever dawned on Robert Kraft. This was supposed to include a hotel and retail development. Who knows what the team's fortunes would have been playing in a dome since 1972? It would have been that much closer to Rochester as well.

Not really that much closer to Rochester. Because there’s no exit off the 90 to get to Lancaster easily. Have to get off at Transit rd/Clarance exit and drive up transit and hit every light along the way. Actually probably about the same to stay on the 90 and take it right up to the 219 and get to the stadium in OP. If anything it’s not much different. But I am also sure there would have been some exits by now off the 90 had that happened. Just never did. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Might have had a MLB team also if the place was ever built

12 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

True. We were in line for the expansion team that became the Expos if we had a stadium. This was to be multipurpose.

2 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Once you live outside of WNY you realize just how small the Buffalo area really is. Be glad you have two major sports franchises. Theres no way it could support a Major League Baseball team. No way. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Once you live outside of WNY you realize just how small the Buffalo area really is. Be glad you have two major sports franchises. Theres no way it could support a Major League Baseball team. No way. 

Could have gotten away with basketball (yes I know, used to be) up until about 10-15 years ago. Then the NBA took off and became very rich.