Are we more deserving of the SB hype this year than last?

Success

And I say this realizing that we will NOT be hyped this year, which I think is a good thing.

But it's clear what our deficiencies were last year - and they became even more glaring in the playoffs. We were speed & finesse, and so top heavy - mainly Allen, Diggs and Miller.

It's like Beane looked at the Cincy game, and addressed everything we were missing. A deeper & more powerful run game? Check.  Physical receivers who have better hands and get YAC?  Check.  A stronger O-line that can both protect JA and open holes for the RB's?  Check.

This team is now built more for Buffalo weather - and more for overpowering opponents.  For months now on the general boards, both "Buffalo will take a step back in '23" and "The Bills window is closing" have become like mantras.  But our 2023 team is our best & most balanced yet, imo.  It feels like this team is the one that should get the big hype. And again, I'm glad they aren't.

• Like (+1) 15
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Donuts and Doritos said:

We have a harder schedule this year & the division will be harder. Plus we have a change at D. Coordinator, questions at MLB & Off Coordinator. So no.

The Offensive Coordinator is the same one from before just with a year of experience.

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

The Offensive Coordinator is the same one from before just with a year of experience.

I think people were more optimistic about Dorsey going into last season than how the results panned out.  I don't think he is looked at as a strength at the moment.

• Agree 1

No. The schedule especially the road schedule is brutal. The Bills will also be challenged within the AFCE along with KC/CIN in the conference. My guess is 10-7 is the floor with 12-5 being the ceiling for the Bills this year.

• Agree 2

I disagree. To beat KC and CIN or whoever you add in the mix is pretty basic. 

You need to either be able to outscore them with our O, stop them with your D, or out scheme them. 

I don't think our O has improved to outscoring them. We may be more balanced which can help in the regular season and take some pressure off. But it is debated to non-Bills fans if our RB's are better. Singletary got paid more than any of our RB's. So if money talks he is better. Hopefully, our WR/TE room is better, which should not take much, but many unknowns. Our OL does look better but again if Brown is the weak link we are in trouble. So while our O could be better its still below KC and CIN.

Only Bills fans will say our D is better. Most will point out the losses at dey positions and our DC. This will be a wait-and-see but is concerning to me. We did not add anyone on the edge and who knows when Miller is back. Our LB corp outside of Milano is a huge ?. Is Tre going to bounce back or continue to decline? Will Hyde be back healthy, Poyer as well? Tons of questions on D.

Dorsey, Dorsey, McD. The pressure will be on this year. Allen cannot always be superman. The coaches need to help out.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

No.  

But get for a roller coaster of media narrative chaos all year.  

Especially when we beat the Chiefs in the Thursday night opener.**

**Make it happen NFL Mahomes v Allen is this league’s money maker ratings bonanza 

16 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

We have a harder schedule this year (away @ Philly, KC, Cincinnati & Bolts) & the division will be harder. Plus we have a change at D. Coordinator, questions at MLB & Off Coordinator. So no.

Each one of those teams should fear playing us just as much, if not more, imho. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

There's questions there based on his performance last year.

The Bills offense last year was:

4th in total yards per game

2nd in average yards per game

8th in passing yards

9th in rushing yards

4th in points scored

All while playing one less game than the rest of the NFL

Dorsey isn't perfect, but his shortcomings have been widely exaggerated 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/table/passing/sort/totalPoints/dir/desc

Edited by Captain Hindsight
attach link
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 7

19 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

We have a harder schedule this year (away @ Philly, KC, Cincinnati & Bolts) & the division will be harder. Plus we have a change at D. Coordinator, questions at MLB & Off Coordinator. So no.

I don't think there's anyway to say yes or no till we see the final team and how well they play complementary football.  If our offense stays the same but the defense can cause opponents into mistakes and they create to's and perhaps a higher bit of scoring off some of those  we may find that the talent upgrades of the other teams still leave them in the dust when compared to Josh really start to master his craft.  

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

No.  

But get for a roller coaster of media narrative chaos all year.  

Especially when we beat the Chiefs in the Thursday night opener.**

**Make it happen NFL Mahomes v Allen is this league’s money maker ratings bonanza 

They played the Thursday opener last year at LA. I doubt they get the game again. I hope for a Sunday afternoon 1:00 start at home against a team the Bills should beat. Starting 1-0 is always nice.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the teams that will get the hype this year as the "best AFC team...can't miss....already won the Super Bowl in week 4" team in the media is going to be the Bengals. Watch for them to be the "trendy" pick. Also, if the Jets start out something like 2 or 3 and O..major media hype. I also think Miami is going to get a lot of play always with the caveat of "if Tua stays healthy...watch out".

Many media people picked Buffalo last year and were wrong. Doubt many double down. 

And that's the way I like it.😏

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Dorsey isn't perfect, but his shortcomings have been widely exaggerated 

Definitely exaggerated but having a rookie OC had an effect.  Also having an effect was the rash of injuries, crazy weather, the Hamlin/

Bengals drama and what I truly believe, a "mentally" exhausted team going into the playoffs.

Some say these are excuses, but I see it as just a realistic cause and effect of human beings, being human beings.

As the dust settles in the offseason, I think the Bills overall roster is slightly, to more than slightly, better than last year.

They have a harder schedule, but it will still all come down to how they play in the playoffs (which I expect them to be in).

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.